Options

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I intended to just create the looks for a bestial melee character last night but i ended up playing for about 30 mins. How does this build look?

The paramilitary talent is a back story thing.

: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
    Level 5: Super Strength
    Level 13: Super Constitution

Powers:
    Level 1: Bestial Fury -- Rip And Tear!, Accelerated Metabolism
    Level 1: Shred -- Penetrating Strikes
    Level 5: Frenzy -- Rank 2
    Level 5: Swinging -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 8: Resurgence
    Level 11: Defiance -- Rank 2
    Level 14: Form Of The Unconquered Swordsman -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 17: Enrage -- Giant Growth, Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 20: Howl -- Rank 2
    Level 23: Massacre -- Bloody Mess, Rank 2
    Level 26: Supernatural Power
    Level 29: Energy Shield -- Laser Knight
    Level 32: Dragon's Bite -- Rank 2, Cull The Weak
    Level 35: Bite -- Furor Venenum, Rank 2
    Level 35: Tunneling
    Level 38: Pounce

Talents:
    Level 1: Superhuman
    Level 6: Paramilitary Training
    Level 9: Impresario
    Level 12: Accurate
    Level 15: Acrobat
    Level 18: Martial Focus
    Level 21: Shooter

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks good Madpanda, but I would take frenzy over shred at level 1 (take shred and then respec out of it) and get pounce as soon as you can.

Not only is it fun, but it is VERY helpful in melee builds

Why are you taking defiance as well? For tanking?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hmmm...help me out guys.

Trying to come up with a concept and build that uses Gauntlet Chainsaw as its main attack

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Already level 8ish so I have frenzy/shred/resurgence. The logic behind defiance seems to be easy stacks of defiant to convert to enraged with "enrage".

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Already level 8ish so I have frenzy/shred/resurgence. The logic behind defiance seems to be easy stacks of defiant to convert to enraged with "enrage".

I get ya.

But seriously, respec and drop shred if you can for pounce

Arch on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Hmmm...help me out guys.

Trying to come up with a concept and build that uses Gauntlet Chainsaw as its main attack

I'm too rusty to come up with a build, but here's what I thought up for a concept:

Old-timey (steampunk/dieselpunk/whatever retro theme tickles your fancy) scientist-archaeologist-adventurer invents a time machine so he/she can study real live dinosaurs up close and personal.

In order to protect him/herself from the hazards of the primordial jungle, she/he builds a protective suit of armor. In order to help explore said primordial jungle, the armor includes a chainsaw gauntlet.

Of course, the time machine futzes up, sending him/her into the modern day as opposed to the ancient past.

Can't think of a name, though.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Hmmm...help me out guys.

I'm too rusty to come up with a build, but here's what I thought up for a concept:

Old-timey (steampunk/dieselpunk/whatever retro theme tickles your fancy) scientist-archaeologist-adventurer invents a time machine so he/she can study real live dinosaurs up close and personal.

In order to protect him/herself from the hazards of the primordial jungle, she/he builds a protective suit of armor. In order to help explore said primordial jungle, the armor includes a chainsaw gauntlet.

Of course, the time machine futzes up, sending him/her into the modern day as opposed to the ancient past.

Can't think of a name, though.

How about "Savage Doc", the inverse of pulp-era Doc Savage, with an allude to a more savage, primitive era.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart I was already thinking about a Steampunk-y dude

That is kinda cool, I may run with something like it...I just don't know what powers to round it out with

I don't think I want a full gadgets hero, so I am kind of at a loss now...

Arch on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember resetting instances in a party...

-Party leaves instance
    -Party Breaks up
    (Maybe? -Party member who wasn't leader before (aka X) goes to char select and reloads)
    -X enters instance
    -X reinvites everyone to party
    -everyone enters instance

I think

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How about a robot vampire pirate cowboy that shoots lightning?

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How about a robot vampire pirate cowboy that shoots lightning?

If we add 'ninja' to the mix, will that cause an awesomeness-singularity that will destabilize the universe?

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart I was already thinking about a Steampunk-y dude

That is kinda cool, I may run with something like it...I just don't know what powers to round it out with

I don't think I want a full gadgets hero, so I am kind of at a loss now...

You could fill out the build with some Unarmed Martial Arts attacks for the full-on pulp hero feel.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You could incorporate some of the chain attacks from infernal.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmmm...help me out guys.

S-Mart man.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it just me or does Defiance not scale with Con? The test lasers seemed to do the same damage to me with and without Con as a superstat at level 8.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A superstat at 8 is what +10 to a stat? Might not be enough to see a difference. Did you take off all of your con gear and then compare?

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Ooooo...unarmed martial arts and chain attacks could work....or maybe even bestial

his story could be that he has nanomachines in his body that make weapons for him

i like it

Arch on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A superstat at 8 is what +10 to a stat? Might not be enough to see a difference. Did you take off all of your con gear and then compare?

I did. It was a 12 point difference, and I figured it would reduce damage by at least a few points when I'm taking 350+ from the blue laser.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    wolfgangpgwolfgangpg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You guys should also join the chat channel "massively" -- some guys hang out in there. More people to talk with/quest with, etc...

wolfgangpg on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Ooooo...unarmed martial arts and chain attacks could work....or maybe even bestial

his story could be that he has nanomachines in his body that make weapons for him

i like it

I have a straight up gadgetry character whose attacks are EB w/cone advantage, chainsaw gauntlet and sonic device/toxic nanites.

I also make use of orbital cannon with anvil of dawn advantage.

Not my most potent character but he works just fine.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has anyone tried going INT/PRE, taking all the pet powers and the force field buff, and having an invincible army?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey, what's a good heal for electricity? I've been rolling with Regeneration, but it's getting to the point where my damage really sucks missing the buff from Avenger build and electric form

I don't really understand how the heals work in general, are there any spammable heals that scale with recovery or endurance?

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey, what's a good heal for electricity? I've been rolling with Regeneration, but it's getting to the point where my damage really sucks missing the buff from Avenger build and electric form

I don't really understand how the heals work in general, are there any spammable heals that scale with recovery or endurance?

If you are a properly statted electricity hero rolling in Avenger with the energy form you should be just fine with an active defense power (resurgence is fine) and electric sheath w/ advantage. If you feel like you need to take a self heal power later on go with Arcane Vitality or Psionic Healing.

I always recommend a self heal for end game use, as there are times during boss fights where you can be low on health but the boss isn't actively attacking you, which gives you a chance to quickly heal yourself to full and get back into it. Without a self heal you can be stuck in a position where you have no health and can't risk attacking the boss without dying, but no way to get far enough out of combat for your health to pop back on it's own.

And I will say again (for the umpteenth time) that Resurgence/Bionic Shielding are not self-heals, they are defenses. When I say a "self-heal" I actually mean one of the targeted healing powers from Celestial, or Arcane Vitality, or Psionic Healing.

The utility of those powers for a non-healer character situational I know. That's why I say to take it late in the game. But when you really need that power, you are often totally fucked for lack of it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, it's on sale for 6 bucks on Steam. This worth it, or is it dead?

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Masume wrote: »
    So, it's on sale for 6 bucks on Steam. This worth it, or is it dead?
    Worth it.

Very worth it.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I made use of it.

I love it.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Logged in last night.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Logged in last night.

Alright I'll bite then, but someone had best be on to PLAY with me. :P

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Logged in last night.

The game isn't split into multiple different server clusters like FF11/WoW; anyone who plays it can play with anyone else like in Guild Wars or Warcraft 3

so fortunately that means that it's not too tough to find a group

If you are a properly statted electricity hero rolling in Avenger with the energy form you should be just fine with an active defense power (resurgence is fine) and electric sheath w/ advantage. If you feel like you need to take a self heal power later on go with Arcane Vitality or Psionic Healing.

I always recommend a self heal for end game use, as there are times during boss fights where you can be low on health but the boss isn't actively attacking you, which gives you a chance to quickly heal yourself to full and get back into it. Without a self heal you can be stuck in a position where you have no health and can't risk attacking the boss without dying, but no way to get far enough out of combat for your health to pop back on it's own.

And I will say again (for the umpteenth time) that Resurgence/Bionic Shielding are not self-heals, they are defenses. When I say a "self-heal" I actually mean one of the targeted healing powers from Celestial, or Arcane Vitality, or Psionic Healing.

The utility of those powers for a non-healer character situational I know. That's why I say to take it late in the game. But when you really need that power, you are often totally fucked for lack of it.

OK, thanks

What is the proper statting to go with, anyway? I've just been stacking endurance and recovery

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Logged in last night.

The game isn't split into multiple different server clusters like FF11/WoW; anyone who plays it can play with anyone else like in Guild Wars or Warcraft 3

so fortunately that means that it's not too tough to find a group

OK, thanks

What is the proper statting to go with, anyway? I've just been stacking endurance and recovery

Endurance/Recovery up to the 30% soft cap damage bonus on both. After that put any extra into Con and Int. You'll find the right balance between Con/Int through experimentation. More health is good, but even a 5-10% energy discount is really useful too. Ignore Str/Dex/Ego/Pre completely.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Don't dex and ego increase crit chance/damage?

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Don't dex and ego increase crit chance/damage?

Because of how they scale you need to invest a lot of points in them to get any meaningful return. Electricity doesn't rely on crits for damage in any way.

-edit-

Also, just unlearn everything you know about critical hits from any other game or system. Champions Online has a system that simply does not reward everyone for trying to crit. It rewards certain builds for critting and anyone else who tries to stat for it is gimping themselves.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yikes, so I should go over my power lists and see if anything is "on crit"? I had been planning str to the 70's and just going nuts with dex on my bestial melee guy. Seeing 1k massacre crits at 18 is pretty nice though, thats without the "while bleeding" advantage.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yikes, so I should go over my power lists and see if anything is "on crit"? I had been planning str to the 70's and just going nuts with dex on my bestial melee guy. Seeing 1k massacre crits at 18 is pretty nice though, thats without the "while bleeding" advantage.

That's not a bad option, he's overstating it a little bit. But crits aren't nearly as important or effective in CO unless you're playing Munitions.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    How do the other stats work, like +X% knockback resistance? I tried stacking that, but it didn't have any effect on the knockbacks from some boss. And what's +offense do?

Thanks again

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How do the other stats work, like +X% knockback resistance? I tried stacking that, but it didn't have any effect on the knockbacks from some boss. And what's +offense do?

Thanks again

KBR you need a lot of, if I remember right. It reduces how far you fly, and given enough it turns a knockback into a "stumble", which means you just shuffle your feet a bit. Not a very useful stat overall.

+offense increases damage, IIRC.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Alright, got this installed today and...holy crap I have too many games from the Steam sale now?!? What do I play aggghhhhh

Anyways, I'll be on later tonight, hope someone can be a super sidekick for me!

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited July 2010

There are very few powers that have an effect "on crit" and the ones that do exist in frameworks that suggest DEX or DEX/EGO as superstats.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hmm, while we're on that subject, should I go str+dex for a martial arts character or dex+ego?

Do their attacks scale more with super-statted strength than with super statted ego?

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hmm, while we're on that subject, should I go str+dex for a martial arts character or dex+ego?

Do their attacks scale more with super-statted strength than with super statted ego?

Depends. The forms/passive scale mostly off dex, but some off str. However, I've found diminishing returns means you get little at beyond 90 or so str at 40, which is above the amount you need for full str bonus to melee, and ego softcap makes more than 150 or so ego useless........I'd say get around 220 dex, 150 ego, and 100 str, that's the magic number on my melee main for pvp, chews up pve like nobody's business.

Astale on