As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game-on] Roguelikes are really addictive

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The dungeon is randomly generated every time you enter it. So something at level 20 might be random so you can fight different monsters and get different items (or even artifacts).

Oh, for the love of god, do NOT set the option to get a "special feeling" in Angband and risk losing artifacts. It's NOT worth it.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thor got wrote:
    Twice on the first level I have died. The first time in two turns after a mushroom released deadly spores into the air (how am I supposed to avoid that?), the second when a gazing eye stared at me to death.

Stupid game.

Avoid mushrooms, eyes, and jellies until you get a long range attack. They're not worth the trouble.

Problem was the mushrooms were right next to the stairs as I entered the dungeon. The eye ambushed me. Both were unavoidable deaths as far as I can see.

Nothing outside of the ordinary for a Rogue-like, but still frustrating.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thor got wrote:
    What is EyAngband all about? Site has no info.

GoodOmens explained that on the last page. And Smeagol is so annoying i just ignore him until I'm such a high level that he's easy. And the beauty of EyAngband is that you usually get the Phial as a quest reward before long.
    Sorry, I see that now. Why in God's name is the PPC flavor of the Mac version still getting priority? :lol: That's an honest-to-god OS 9 app...

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hmm...I can't get the 32x32 tiles to work with vanilla Angband. Something about not being able to read '32mask.bmp.'
    This is totally a guess, but I think it's reasonable: you need to have (or make) a separate bitmap, 32mask.bmp, and put it in the same directory as the main tiles. It should be exactly the same as the original tiles, except transparent areas should be white and solid should be black (so basically "shadows" of all the sprites).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hmm...I can't get the 32x32 tiles to work with vanilla Angband. Something about not being able to read '32mask.bmp.'
    This is totally a guess, but I think it's reasonable: you need to have (or make) a separate bitmap, 32mask.bmp, and put it in the same directory as the main tiles. It should be exactly the same as the original tiles, except transparent areas should be white and solid should be black (so basically "shadows" of all the sprites).

They are in there, but it still doesn't work. :?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You feel as if somebody is watching over you. You have no more scrolls of *Remove Curse* (n).
    :D

They are in there, but it still doesn't work. :?
    Sorry, can't help you, I never got into the whole sprites for ascii games thing.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm trying to enjoy EyAngband, but my first quest was 'kill seventeen orcs on level one!'. Only I was walking through level one, somehow fell through the floor to level 8, and then failed the quest before I could get back up there.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Artheleron wrote:
    I'm trying to enjoy EyAngband, but my first quest was 'kill seventeen orcs on level one!'. Only I was walking through level one, somehow fell through the floor to level 8, and then failed the quest before I could get back up there.
    You don't need to take a quest right away..

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, let's talk about ADOM. Played it years ago, it kicked my ass, I got discouraged. This thread made me pick it up again, and I'm enjoying the best game EVAR.

I'm playing a Necromancer and just hit level 11. I'm in the cave with the distorted entrance south of the starting town. Questions:

1) HOW DEEP IS THIS MOTHER? This is a starting dungeon right???
    2) Something made me sick and my hit points won't rise past 20. Every time I level I pour skill points into healing but it isn't helping. Will this ever go away?
    3) I was prematurely aged. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
    4) What's with the random dungeons? I mean, when you go back up a set of steps it's a whole new dungeon. WTF? And can I make this stop somehow?

That's it.

For now.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Whoever was talking about eating mushrooms of amnesia, another reason not to eat mushrooms or drink potions or read scrolls before identifying them:

[spoiler:799d4330ea]There's a potion of Death in Angband. Which kills you. But I bet it's delicious.[/spoiler:799d4330ea]

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Divebommah wrote:
    So, let's talk about ADOM. Played it years ago, it kicked my ass, I got discouraged. This thread made me pick it up again, and I'm enjoying the best game EVAR.

I'm playing a Necromancer and just hit level 11. I'm in the cave with the distorted entrance south of the starting town. Questions:

1) HOW DEEP IS THIS MOTHER? This is a starting dungeon right???
    2) Something made me sick and my hit points won't rise past 20. Every time I level I pour skill points into healing but it isn't helping. Will this ever go away?
    3) I was prematurely aged. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
    4) What's with the random dungeons? I mean, when you go back up a set of steps it's a whole new dungeon. WTF? And can I make this stop somehow?

That's it.

For now.
    Dude.

1) & 4)The distorted cave is a special dungeon. Use it to level a bit, but don't try to reach the bottom or anything.

[spoiler:f530af58e6]The cave you are in is called the "Infinite Dungeon" or ID. Apart from some high level and opontial quests you don't need to go into it. The ID is special because it's a random dungeon, and as such will reset whenever you leave a level. Try somewhere else. [C]hat to that elder guy to get a quest if you havn't already. In fact, [C]hat to everyone, just for the hell of it[/spoiler:f530af58e6]

2)You should be fine after a while. Just rest until you get better.

3)It makes you older. Too old and you die.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dude.

1) & 4)The distorted cave is a special dungeon. Use it to level a bit, but don't try to reach the bottom or anything.

[spoiler:40ca0bf308]The cave you are in is called the "Infinite Dungeon" or ID. Apart from some high level and opontial quests you don't need to go into it. The ID is special because it's a random dungeon, and as such will reset whenever you leave a level. Try somewhere else. [C]hat to that elder guy to get a quest if you havn't already. In fact, [C]hat to everyone, just for the hell of it[/spoiler:40ca0bf308]

Well, crap. I'm getting my ass out of there, then. Hell, I'm so beefy now after going so deep I'll kick anything's ass. Packs of wolves, roving bandits, wild bear -- screw you, here I come.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There is a Crawl server, in the style of nethack.alt.org, at

crawl.akrasiac.org

It runs Crawl Stone Soup 0.1.7 which has some great ergonomic improvements such as auto-explore, automatic interlevel travel, and stash tracking. The crew who run it can often be found in freenode ##crawl.

Let it end in hellfire!

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Divebommah wrote:
    Dude.

[spoiler:dffa621862]The cave you are in is called the "Infinite Dungeon" or ID. Apart from some high level and opontial quests you don't need to go into it. The ID is special because it's a random dungeon, and as such will reset whenever you leave a level. Try somewhere else. [C]hat to that elder guy to get a quest if you havn't already. In fact, [C]hat to everyone, just for the hell of it[/spoiler:dffa621862]

Well, crap. I'm getting my ass out of there, then. Hell, I'm so beefy now after going so deep I'll kick anything's ass. Packs of wolves, roving bandits, wild bear -- screw you, here I come.

Haha

Just wait until you hit your first dragon vault

When you can finally clear them there's all kinds of treasure and experience to be had (usually along with an artifact or two) but until then they're pretty much not something you want to screw around with

Especially red dragons, they can melt or otherwise destroy pretty much all of your non-artifact gear if you aren't careful

As for unnatural aging, it may or may not be a bad thing, depending on your character's race

If you're a human or especially a troll, it's really bad, but for elves, dwarves, or other long-lived races it's almost negligible

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Arcibi wrote:
    Haha

Just wait until you hit your first dragon vault

Thanks for the heads up. So, ya, playing at work on my home PC using LogMeIn ;) am almost out of the dungeon now -- one level to go! -- and the sickness JUST ENDED.

LOOK OUT BITCHES. :twisted:

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yay. After I removed that stupid helmet, I quickly beat EyAngband. It's my first win (without cheating and having multiple lives) in any roguelike ever.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't seem to get into ADOM and Angband as much as I got into Nethack and I think it's the controls. The Nethack controls, once modified with all the suggestions from a big thread here on PA, were very logical.

Plus like... how the freaking hell do I rest in ADOM. At least I figured it out in Angband.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    skace wrote:
    I can't seem to get into ADOM and Angband as much as I got into Nethack and I think it's the controls. The Nethack controls, once modified with all the suggestions from a big thread here on PA, were very logical.

Plus like... how the freaking hell do I rest in ADOM. At least I figured it out in Angband.
    Resting in ADOM is the worst part of it. You can rest with SHIFT + 5, but you woundn't get any heath back unless you have the healing skill.

So characters have to do a quest in a special way to get the healing skill. :(

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    skace wrote:

Resting in ADOM is the worst part of it. You can rest with SHIFT + 5, but you woundn't get any heath back unless you have the healing skill.

Actually you can rest and get health without the healing skill! Just not nearly as quickly

I think

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007

shift + 5 = unknown command: %

??

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    skace wrote:

??
    Ctrl? Alt?

Edit:Arcibi is right. "w"

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    skace wrote:

??

Try w, then 5

You'll stand in place for either twenty turns or until something interesting happens (such as an enemy drawing near), whichever happens first

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ascending in Nethack(without cheating, or using Wizard mode) will forever be the greatest moment of my video game life.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    revolve wrote:
    Ascending in Nethack(without cheating, or using Wizard mode) will forever be the greatest moment of my video game life.

I have my ascension saved in a text file :). Nethack grabbed my interest a lot more than most roguelike games.

Thanks for the w5 tip, I had tried that but couldn't tell if it was doing anything because it doesn't show my turns and my health didn't seem to be moving any quicker...

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are there any good zombie-themed (or even post-apocalyptic-themed) roguelikes out there? I've been thinking about making one of my own, but I don't want to bother if it's already been done and well.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Are there any good zombie-themed (or even post-apocalyptic-themed) roguelikes out there? I've been thinking about making one of my own, but I don't want to bother if it's already been done and well.

Not that I know of. But I'll give myself to you if you make one.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

I'm seriously considering it. I'm fascinated by the open-endedness and possibilities found in some roguelikes, but virtually every one I've seen has the same high fantasy setting. I'll brainstorm some more about it, and if I think it's feasible, I'll give it a shot.

Don't expect it to be finished any time soon, though.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I'm seriously considering it. I'm fascinated by the open-endedness and possibilities found in some roguelikes, but virtually every one I've seen has the same high fantasy setting. I'll brainstorm some more about it, and if I think it's feasible, I'll give it a shot.

Take a look at DOOMRL if you haven't. It handles firearms pretty well for a text-based game.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Take a look at DOOMRL if you haven't. It handles firearms pretty well for a text-based game.
    DOOMRL was suprisingly awesome considering what I was expecting.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've never tried them, but Angband has a few steampunk and cyberpunk variants. I know this isn't exactly what you said, but not all roguelikes are high fantasy.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would like to second (third?) the recommendation for DoomRL. It's actually really awesome, and I found myself getting into it as much as I get into playing the FPS, though obviously it's a totally different experience.

I would also like to request tips on how to do that awesome window configuration for EyAngband. I have a feeling it would greatly enhance my enjoyment of the game.

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ravenlock wrote:
    I would like to second (third?) the recommendation for DoomRL. It's actually really awesome, and I found myself getting into it as much as I get into playing the FPS, though obviously it's a totally different experience.

I would also like to request tips on how to do that awesome window configuration for EyAngband. I have a feeling it would greatly enhance my enjoyment of the game.
    Go to options (=), window flags (w), and then set up things how you wish by using the arrow keys and the t button. My window flags (I just moved stuff around a bit) are here, but you might also want to consider having an inventory/equip screen or testing different layouts. If I didn't want my main screen to be so big so I could see so much, I would definitely add an inventory window.

Hehe, I've killed 122 drunks (and 519 Forest Trolls).

I downloaded some beta of ToME, went into the Barrow Downs, killed some zombie in one hit and went up 8 levels. Is this normal? Also, it crashed several times. So I'm going back to Angband.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    How come everytime I kick down a friggen door something horrific happens in ADOM. I mean, not every class starts with a lockpick and I keep getting locked doors with no keys to them. This just doesn't make any sense. It's pretty stupid when you clear a level except for 1 locked door, which the stairs are behind, but when you kick the door open a bomb goes off and destroys your only set of armor. Bleh.

Case and fucking point:

adom.jpg

Incase that needs any description... that is level 1 of what I believe is the first dungeon in the game. It would be like starting in nethack and being in a locked room where possibly kicking a door down meant death. I believe the only negative affects in nethack from door kicks were alerting all the monsters in the level and possibly pissing off a shopkeeper.

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    skace wrote:
    How come everytime I kick down a friggen door something horrific happens in ADOM. I mean, not every class starts with a lockpick and I keep getting locked doors with no keys to them. This just doesn't make any sense. It's pretty stupid when you clear a level except for 1 locked door, which the stairs are behind, but when you kick the door open a bomb goes off and destroys your only set of armor. Bleh.

Didn't you read Grimtooth's Traps back in the day? Never kick a door down. Never.

Of course, I don't know enough of ADOM to know what else to do.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    GoodOmens wrote:
    skace wrote:

Didn't you read Grimtooth's Traps back in the day? Never kick a door down. Never.

Of course, I don't know enough of ADOM to know what else to do.
    Most door traps minor spoiler:[spoiler:368ec6658a]will not hit you if you kick them at a diagonal. So stand to the side and use 7, 9, 1 or 3 to aim if you can.[/spoiler:368ec6658a]

Also more major spoiler:[spoiler:368ec6658a]If you kick a door and it says this door will not budge at all it is trapped.[/spoiler:368ec6658a]

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yea Penguin, I figured out that minor spoiler also and it IS handy. But if you look at the screenshot, in most scenarios it seems the game itself has figured that trick out too :).

Oh yea and

[spoiler:0a19a2b362] Ghuls sharing the lowercase z with a bunch of crappy mobs and then being able to permanently paralyze you from full health to death is absolutely retarded [/spoiler:0a19a2b362]

I understand that a lot of people are playing this so I figured they would have run into these things before me. Maybe I'm just stupid.

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Playing a hardier race/class combination might not be a bad idea

For example, my one ADOM victory was with a dwarven paladin

It's not typically my style in any RPG to play melee classes but this guy was a tank and hella fun to play

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    God, in ADOM everyone needs Hardy.

That said, I've never got past the [spoiler:e44a40b6e4]Living Forest place in the CoC. I know you can go though the Halls to get past there, but the only time I tried I died. :([/spoiler:e44a40b6e4]

By never got past I mean that I one got one or two guys to there. I suck at ADOM.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I heard the easiest combo ever is a troll healer because you can eat anything, have tons of HP and can heal well to boot.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've been playing a dark elf druid everytime. But I don't usually die to combat, I die to friggen doors or paralyzation. So I didn't think changing my race/class would be of any use.

My nethack victory was with a rogue, so I wanted to stick to a caster this time.

.... plus I like how my magic spell bounces off walls...

skace on
    steam_sig.png