Options

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    You can't normally take someone capital

This is particularly bullshit if you try to play Byz, as the Ottomans are camping in Edirne, leaving a massive blemish in your beautiful borders. Of course, you can sometimes use rebels to get it, but that's unreliable. I spent 50 years funding rebels once before they even revolted, and then it was a tiny stack that took forever to conquer the province.

It really should be possible to kick someone out of their capital. There's no real plausible reason why someone with utter military superiority couldn't do it.

You can take someone's capital if you take all provinces adjacent to it (including ones across straits).

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I took Aragon's capital early in a Castille game in EU4, and I remember that it said that I couldn't take any other provinces if I took their capital in the peace deal.

Not sure how useful this is as input!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Yay, Poland can into space!

I have a sinking feeling that I may try to 100% this game.

Oh god.

Jephery wrote: »

This is particularly bullshit if you try to play Byz, as the Ottomans are camping in Edirne, leaving a massive blemish in your beautiful borders. Of course, you can sometimes use rebels to get it, but that's unreliable. I spent 50 years funding rebels once before they even revolted, and then it was a tiny stack that took forever to conquer the province.

It really should be possible to kick someone out of their capital. There's no real plausible reason why someone with utter military superiority couldn't do it.

You can take someone's capital if you take all provinces adjacent to it (including ones across straits).

I got up to 100% war score against the Ottoman's, had two separate CBs for Constantinople (a fabricated one and my natural event based Poland one) and I couldn't name it as my prize. I came back five years later and it was an option.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    So I let CK2 run with the Old Gods start on its own, detailing my experiences and results here

Now lets see how it converts.
    First of all, all wars are cancelled and land seems to be roughly assigned as if it was a 'white peace', though in some cases they do assign cores on involved parties (or perhaps that's based on the claims that started wars). In general everyone starts without diplomatic settings of any kind, which makes the first few days pretty important.

Second of all, you seem to take 10% of your CK2 gold as starting gold, which is good news for the pope.
    q7IwvW1.jpg?1
    The HRE is dominated by Germany. Note that the the Holy land is 2 Duchies now that are part of the HRE.
    ofLz3Sz.jpg?1

France is megahuge with no starting conflict. They are set to dominate this.
    Castille owns interesting pieces of land throughout western europe and northwestern africa. They can potentially war a lot.
    SEW4wco.jpg?1
    Byzantium is huge but will probably lose later on due to the tech settings. They have cores on the Duchy of Anatolia.
    The Mongols hold a bit of land in Spain, and are pretty big in Asia:
    D3qKZda.jpg?2

Arabs, the huge players for most of the CK2 game, are tiny and puny:
    FQfQCDq.jpg?1

Northern and Eastern Europe seem set up for interesting times:
    PC8JDnu.jpg?1

Military standings:
    oH7RX3h.jpg?1

A bit of weirdness I missed in CK2 (It belonged to Norway for most of the game)
    RuuDbrD.jpg?1

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    France looks like its going to cause that game to be super boring...

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I don't think there's any relation between ck2 gold - eu4 gold; my byz convert went from 500 - 4000. I think you get some multiple of your base tax

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    There has to be some relation for the Papal States to have over 24k after conversion.

Probably it's both factored together.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The very first thing the Byzantine Empire did was take Rome, and noone came to help the pope. not even sure where he went.
    So far it's slow consolidation, Castille got all of nonfrench spain, germany and denmark cleaned up their borders, and the entire world united against the Timurids. They have perhaps 10 provinces left.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Yeah, its not that hard generally. Just fight one war to surround it, then another to take it. However, I think if you take a capital, that is all you can take. Just that one province.

Anyway, if y'all want a fun East Asia country, check out Manchu. Paradox gave them some love this time around. While they still don't have a "Qing" tag, its arguably more realistic that way. My ruling dynasty is no longer Aisin Gioro anyway. Manchu gets its own idea group, which is very strong, giving a combination of fighting ability and lower revolt risk. They also have a unique unit skin, with the traditional garb, pig-tail, and mustache.

You just restart your game until China doesn't warn you or guarantee Korea. Use mission or fabricate to DoW Korea, and conquer it (takes 2 wars); korean will become an accepted people, reducing your RR to 0 once cored. Take colonization as your first idea group, then diplomacy, to build up your cores. Make sure you military is up to date, and then colonize and wait for "der tag". When it comes, hit Ming, get your "form Qing dynasty" decision, and look at all those wonderful cores. I conquered China before the historical date, but was very cautious because I use the new ironman mode. A more reckless player could probably take on Ming long before I did.

Always watch for Japan. They fabricate on you constantly, and can dump 20-30 men on your shores. Always have a larger army ready for them, and kill them piece-mail. In my game, they fell far behind in military tech.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1117178416898712291/660E30B527AA6B00EEE3DEE915A1D8C5F355FF41/

100 years left. I think I'll take on that Sweden blob for the hell of it. I kind of want to get max defensive before I do, so they can sit on my level 5 fort and take all the attrition.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    You need to conquer Japan. Pull off what not even the Khans could.

Playing as a colonizing Non-European power was always one of my favorite things to due. But the tech levels always hampered it. They always felt very arbitrary to me.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Assuming average monarchs, tech isn't so bad this time around for poorer non-westerns. EU 3 was weird in that its tech was based around efficient income. Meaning only a heavy trade based non-western could keep up. Yes, France and other lucky Western countries will be anywhere from 2-4 techs ahead of you even in military, but you really don't need to spend military points on anything but tech (you can't afford military ideas until later, but Manchu's base idea set makes up for this). You will fall behind in whatever you choose for your ideas, so I went diplomacy first. Where the tech problem really comes in is in administration. I absolutely could never afford to use those points for ideas at any time. Too important for coring, with all others going to tech.

I noticed the same when playing Byz, though. It seems that diplomacy points are flat out less important for most countries compared to military and administration. Fortunately the diplomacy idea group is good for anyone looking to expand, so you have something to do with those points other than getting better ships.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Diplo points are basically useless... they get you techs and ideas and... explorers I guess? Also unjustified demands in war, but meh

• Options
    Some way to convert diplo points to administration (even 2:1) would be very nice.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Diplo points are basically useless... they get you techs and ideas and... explorers I guess? Also unjustified demands in war, but meh

They're useful if you screw up in a war and you're eating tons of war exhaustion.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Oh right war exhaustion. I knew they had another use

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    diplo ideas are the best though so it sort of balances out

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    EU songs are stuck in my head.

And I love it.

}
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Fully defensive plus retreat-500-miles-across-the-country are bullshit of the highest order. Suffer 20 provinces worth of attrition just to chase down one stupid army

Phyphor on
  • Options
    And I'm pretty sure France has access to infinite mercs. I've killed at least 30k of them so far

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed my game as France, although I appear to have reached the point where I can't do anything without being dogpiled by all of Europe. I even waited until the HRE was at war with Spain, as well as having a lot of internal wars, but as soon as I declared war all their wars ended, and they allied with Spain immediately.

At least in the last war I forced them to change religion! So they'll be fucked over for a while, and maybe when I take more provinces from them they'll be Protestant already, saving me some time.

• Options
    Oh hey I'm remember why France is the devil.

Playing as the Netherlands, they just roll in with 60k troops while fighting off my spanish allies no problem auuugh

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yeah this is silly, I lose 3:1 engagements where I'm defending in the hills - they magically always seem to fight in the non-hilly portions of every province. And they have enough cash to spam mercs forever (plus loans) so despite having 130k attacking troops minimal progress can be made

• Options
    I finally appreciate being able to recruit the units of another country when you old their cores.

I'm doing an Ethiopia game, and holding Mamluk cores is letting me make Cavalry and Cannon even though I'm 3 techs behind the Muslims.

}
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Yeah this is silly, I lose 3:1 engagements where I'm defending in the hills - they magically always seem to fight in the non-hilly portions of every province. And they have enough cash to spam mercs forever (plus loans) so despite having 130k attacking troops minimal progress can be made

One thing I've grown to dislike in this game is how troops can flee the fuck away for years and years. It doesn't always seem possible to crush enemy armies, even if you outnumber them significantly. I get that they tried to reduce the ping pong effect of EU3, but the way it is now is annoying 100% of the time. If you lose a fight, your dudes hike a thousand miles away, and if you win, you'll spend the next ten minutes trying to catch up to fleeing(wounded, demoralized) enemies who've apparently taken a level or two in combined olympic sprinter/marathon runner. And even if you catch them, you'll often lose more troops than they will, making it super slow progress unless you outnumber your enemies something ridiculous like 10:1.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    D07C4AD1407A408EE82E47C59BBAC73C5884578D

Current Ironman Ethiopia game. At the beginning it has been hell fighting with the Muslims for control of Egypt. Hedjaz with allied with the Ottomans for a two decades against the Mamluks, but once they shared a border the Ottomans turned on them and I was able to bounce back in Egypt.

I allied with Poland and conquered Modena from Tuscany in Italy, and I'm really hoping I can westernize before the Ottoman blob reaches me through Hedjaz.

Took Exploration as my first idea so I could explore the Med and gain allies against the Ottomans, and I'm colonizing east Africa.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    The one thing that I really wish all of these games would do is just make it so that there's a button on every countries diplo page that just gives you a Factsheet about them. I get that its all in the ledger, but the game seems to fig leaf the idea that you're not really supposed to know everything that is shown in the ledger, so they hide important shit like that away. CK2 has the same damn problem with the manpower listings hiding 3 menus deep in the realm tree page. And what kills me is that you have to use that info ALL THE TIME and they don't have an easy way to just click a button and have a full fact sheet of a country on hand.

• Options
    The one thing that I really wish all of these games would do is just make it so that there's a button on every countries diplo page that just gives you a Factsheet about them. I get that its all in the ledger, but the game seems to fig leaf the idea that you're not really supposed to know everything that is shown in the ledger, so they hide important shit like that away. CK2 has the same damn problem with the manpower listings hiding 3 menus deep in the realm tree page. And what kills me is that you have to use that info ALL THE TIME and they don't have an easy way to just click a button and have a full fact sheet of a country on hand.

Yeah, a manpower indicator in CK2 right on the person's page would be amazing.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I got off to a good start with ethiopia, but then when one of the muslims declared war on me, I couldn't do anything. Since you inexplicably can't build cavalry, you cannot win battles. I might try again and see if the AI might not attack you if you have a large enough stack, and just go around behind him taking the provinces back. But I'd have to start a new game.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I got off to a good start with ethiopia, but then when one of the muslims declared war on me, I couldn't do anything. Since you inexplicably can't build cavalry, you cannot win battles. I might try again and see if the AI might not attack you if you have a large enough stack, and just go around behind him taking the provinces back. But I'd have to start a new game.

Use scorched earth to whittle down their troops. I was able to attrition them down to nothing and siege them. The border provinces between Egypt and Ethiopia are really low supply.

You actually need to war dec the Mamluks ASAP so you can weaken them before they pull ahead in tech. Once you get one of their cores, you can use it to make Charge Cavalry.

Also get Diplomatic Tech 2 and build a fleet of ~15 galleys to protect that strait in the Red Sea so Hedjaz and Yemen can't attack you through there.

At one point my country country was almost completely occupied by Hedjaz and the Ottomans, but the Ottomans peaced out, and Hedjaz only took two provinces. After that they broke their alliance and kept fighting each other. I had to accept demands from all the rebels though so my prestige was -100 at one point.

Right now I'm trying to Westernize and I'm almost at stab 0 and in the clear. Since I took a western nation's core, I was able to build Tercios to wipe the floor any rebels, since I think they still spawn from the African tech group. I have a snazzy army of Western Tercios and Muslim Charge Cavalry.

But I'm still at Military 8 so I still can't go up against a real Western power yet.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    Oh wow, if Austria holds onto the Netherlands, the Dutch War of Independence can fire in the late 16th century.

Netherlands instantly gets a navy of 82 ships, 26 of them big ships.

}
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Another game that never got off the ground was the Papal States. I had great fun with them in both EU 3 and Victoria 2, but there seems to be a huge oversight with this game. Whenever a new pope is elected, you take a stability hit. The college of cardinals does not elect young men. So you are basically looking at permanent -3 stability. No thanks.
    The border provinces between Egypt and Ethiopia are really low supply. .

It was Oman, and they attacked from the East. I was kind of hoping to play it colonially, but that didn't work either. The natives in that area are ridiculously strong. So next attempt its blitzkrieg.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Another game that never got off the ground was the Papal States. I had great fun with them in both EU 3 and Victoria 2, but there seems to be a huge oversight with this game. Whenever a new pope is elected, you take a stability hit. The college of cardinals does not elect young men. So you are basically looking at permanent -3 stability. No thanks.
    The border provinces between Egypt and Ethiopia are really low supply. .

It was Oman, and they attacked from the East. I was kind of hoping to play it colonially, but that didn't work either. The natives in that area are ridiculously strong. So next attempt its blitzkrieg.

Yeah, that Papal State stab hit seems problematic.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I have to give up my Ethiopia game, the Ottomans blobbed way too hard this time.

100k troops and 200 ships on my doorstep.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if there is something very wrong with EU4 or something very right with EU4 when I can pull 3.5k ducats out of Creek after a very brief war

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    So if I picked France in the later 1400s, is that just easy mode? Can I field a 150k strong army and just march all over Europe?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    France is always easy mode.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, if you want to figure out the game works.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Oh wow, if Austria holds onto the Netherlands, the Dutch War of Independence can fire in the late 16th century.

Netherlands instantly gets a navy of 82 ships, 26 of them big ships.

That is... odd as a specific event.
    Our 80 year war of independence was against Philips II of Spain.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    That might just always fire if the dutch aren't independent.

And I think mooching money off the native american tribes is a feature. The AI basically has nothing to spend it on as a low tech country anyways.

• Options
    Bah, they're all habsburgs anyways

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yeah the event has a chance to fire in the sixteenth century in any province in the netherlands that is not held by a dutch country, I believe.

It then snowballs from there.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1