As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Read Thread, Proliferate.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    throughout high school i used to always have a deck of magic cards in my car.

my logic was

you never know when you gonna be somewhere, at a party or something, and a dude says

"man, do you play magic?"

then bust that shit out right there.

always prepared.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I keep a small cache of basic lands in my car. Pretty damn handy for impromptu drafts/sealed deck tournaments.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I keep a blue eyes white dragon in my wallet, in case I activate a trap card

(but for reals, I really do carry that in my wallet)

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    I don't really play the card game anymore.

But I do enjoy me some of that game on steam.

Yeah, I bought this last time it was on sale. I don't have any friends that play anymore, and I can't really afford it anyways. Playing a few quick games on the computer really scratches the itch for me.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    I keep a blue eyes white dragon in my wallet, in case I activate a trap card

(but for reals, I really do carry that in my wallet)

There was this guy looking for you the other day
    seto_kaiba.gif

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also, for those of you unaware, Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH) is pretty much the best format ever.

http://www.dragonhighlander.net/rules.php

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seto Kaibaaaaaa! *shakes fist*

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i miss my zombie deck

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    also, now that I think about it, mods would probably have shroud

so this thread title doesn't make any sense

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I still have my Star Wars CCG cards.

fucking darth vader all up ins what what

I don't know where mine are now, but I had both Luke Skywalker and Red 5.

Too bad I didn't have anyone to play with =/

freakish light on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I used to play the Star wars CCG (and have a ton of cards) but I only know one person that still plays. Most of the time we just play Magic. Mono black asshole decks all the way!

thanimations on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Theidar wrote: »
    I summon ward sliver!

AHAHAHAHAHA SLIVERS!

Crystalline Sliver for the win.

I've got a fucking pile of decks built, but the Sliver deck remains infamous within my play group.

I don't even play it much anymore. I usually save it for when someone's getting beaten down and wants to just wreck someone. So I hand them the Sliver deck and their eyes light up a little. The moment the first Sliver comes down, though, everyone knows exactly what's about to happen, and it gets ugly fast.

That said, I find a couple of my groups' Elf decks vastly more terrifying. "Okay, so between Wellwishers, Seekers of Skybreak and Wirewood Lodges, I gain... 300 life. Go."

Sure, one wrath of god can ruin their day just like any other creature heavy deck, but without something to keep them in check it can get out of hand quickly.

My group usually play 3-6 player multiplayer games with a full Planechase deck in the middle. Often it's a free for all, sometimes we play a varient called a "hunt", and sometimes a little 2 headed giant. I just got the Archenemy decks a couple of weeks ago, and am looking forward to giving it a shot, but I think we're going to need at least 4 players for that. 2 on 1 with Archenemy goes very badly for the 2.

Oh, and I'm totally going to the M11 pre-release this weekend.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played this a bit in highschool, then only broke it out from time to time til recently when one of my friends made the mistake of giving me a playset of a rather fun but aggravating card. After that I proceeded to build a deck around it, and with that deck I will make people quit Magic one game at a time.
    stasis.jpg

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FUCK Stasis decks

Almost as dumb as my friends infinite turn combo deck

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    B.C. wrote: »
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    I am definitely going to the next PTQ tourny that I can.

My green deck is finally at a point where I know it will do well in the current meta game. It consistently beats Jund, RDW, Naya, and Bant. I haven't run up against a UWr control deck yet or a Mythic Conscription deck though.

I think with 2011 BU Mill is going to become very popular. I'm considering building one myself (as if I could get my hands on enough Jaces though)

What makes you think that UB mill will be popular?
    Because I can tell you why it won't.

I'M A HUGE GAY FOR MAGIC: THE GATHERING!
    IF ANY OF YOU WANT ADVICE COME TALK TO B.C.

I am a way huger gay for magic than you. Like by a million.

So why BU mill will be popular:

Jace's ingunuity + Jace 2.0 = free 4 card mill per turn
    Archive trap
    Hedron Crab
    Traumatize + Haunting Echos

Simply use blue control and black hate to hold the game until you have enough mana to drop the traumatize + haunting echoes combo, game is essentially over from there.

Main promblem with this deck is if your opponent has one of the big 3 eldrazi in their deck. But that's what suffer the past is for. Or possibly layline of the void

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yugioh is the best.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    7ColoredFishGLD1-EN-C-LE.png
    This card won me so many games

BugBoy on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    thought it was gonna be phage and I was going to have to poop on you

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    1800 attack points and no tribute

no one was ever prepared for the fish

BugBoy on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    how do you look at that thing and not feel ashamed of how you've spent your money and time

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So sad that this guy won't be standard in a couple of months

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=191064

So much fun to sic wolves on annoying creatures

My casual deck is built around him and this guy:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=140194

Oh so you have Kozilek out huh? I sic a 2/2 deathtouch wolf on him. Bye!

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Like heres a good example Doubling Season is a card I had 3 of and use in a saporling deck. It worked well and was balanced for that set, but now it could be used with a lot of other cards to cause major problems and need to be banned.

That would be fucking nuts with a devour deck.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My artifact deck rules

Shock G on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a red/white deck that's all direct damage and circles of protection.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    thought it was gonna be phage and I was going to have to poop on you

When they ret-conned Phage The Untouchable into a Zombie, I threw my one copy of her, 4 whispersilk cloaks and 4 diabolic tutors into my Zombie deck.

I haven't done it yet, but one day I'm going to kill someone just by smacking them with an unblockable Phage.

Extra points if it's someone who has hundreds of life, like the elf decks can pull off.
    The Geek wrote: »
    I have a red/white deck that's all direct damage and circles of protection.

This makes me want to build a deck with Story Circles and Golden Wishes.

Edit: I've also wanted to build a deck for a while with Jinxed Rings, Jinxed Idols, Jinxed Chokers, True Believer's and some white enchantment that does the same thing... basically turn our mutliplayer games into Hot Potato, except I can't be a recipient.

Forar on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got into this when Nemesis came out, loved me some Blastoderms and Skyshroud Ridgebacks (the Skyshroud Behemoh sucked though)

Stopped after Invasion block then came back around Mirrodin which was cool

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Stopped after Invasion block then came back around Mirrodin which was cool

Funny, that.

If I'm not mistaken, the next block is taking us back to Mirrodin.

Forar on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Like heres a good example Doubling Season is a card I had 3 of and use in a saporling deck. It worked well and was balanced for that set, but now it could be used with a lot of other cards to cause major problems and need to be banned.

I have all thee of them in a deck that just poops saprolings, and has lots of life gain, then I play this card that gives you a 1/1 flying pegasus token for each life, times 3.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I have all thee of them in a deck that just poops saprolings, and has lots of life gain, then I play this card that gives you a 1/1 flying pegasus token for each life, times 3.

I managed to deal 85 damage in one turn with my standard green beat down deck against my friends casual play Elf deck

Still wasn't enough to kill him

And the next turn he gained over 100 life

At that point I scooped

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    elf decks are too much fun

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Indeed. They typically don't have any defense against drawing out for being a stall deck, so something like Island Sanctuary typically shuts that right down assuming they don't run a naturalize or two.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dunno if you guys have seen these Zelda cards somebody made but they're pretty boss.

Bubbles--article_image.jpg

Peen on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Indeed. They typically don't have any defense against drawing out for being a stall deck, so something like Island Sanctuary typically shuts that right down assuming they don't run a naturalize or two.

The best is when you can cascade an elf deck into producing 1/1 elf warrior, wolfs, or some shit. Get like 8 or 9 of those to block and then unleash a torrent of 1 attacks to the death.

Hunter on
  • Options
    LordaenLordaen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I still have a nice little collection of these cards that were given to me. Tried playing it for a while in high school, but never got into.

Seemed like it could be fun.

Lordaen on
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Duels of the Planeswalkers (the Magic game for xbox/ps3/pc) is pretty good. But damn, being unable to customize your deck in that game really makes you crave the real thing...which is no doubt what the developers wanted.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can I complain about how random the decks are on Magic Online? I go into an 8-player competitive standard tournament and I'm thinking, alright, I haven't done this in a while but the field should be Jund, Bant, Superfriends and Turboland. I'll just run a copy of my IRL RDW list.

What do I play first round? A defender based deck that gains tons of life. No one plays that in real life.

jgeis on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

My wife runs a thallid deck that just floods the table with saporlings. If you can't knock her out very quickly you will be drowned in fungi.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

My green deck is finally at a point where I know it will do well in the current meta game. It consistently beats Jund, RDW, Naya, and Bant. I haven't run up against a UWr control deck yet or a Mythic Conscription deck though.

I think with 2011 BU Mill is going to become very popular. I'm considering building one myself (as if I could get my hands on enough Jaces though)

Archive trap
    Hedron Crab

Simply use blue control and black hate to hold the game until you have enough mana to drop the traumatize + haunting echoes combo, game is essentially over from there.

Main promblem with this deck is if your opponent has one of the big 3 eldrazi in their deck. But that's what suffer the past is for. Or possibly layline of the void

Here are my problems.

1) Jace's Ingenuity+Jace 2.0: One is an enchantment that does essentially nothing on its own. The other is a card that you should just be using to crush the opponent with card advantage/flexibility not a 2 card horrible tome scour every turn.

2) Archive Trap: Easily played around, and unless you draw multiples 13 cards isn't really that big of a deal.

3) Hedron Crab: Is going to mill maybe 3 cards before it has to chump block or die to a lightning bolt.

4) Traumatize+Haunting Echoes: This combo has been around forever and it never sees play. Want to know why? Because it's a ten mana, two card combo that has absolutely no impact on the board in a format that is all about having a board presence. Yes, it essentially wins you the game, but while you're trying to assemble this 10 mana monstrosity the opponent is beating you about the ears with a turn 2 Putrid Leech or putting Soldier tokens onto the table with Elspeth, or just Mana Leaking your ass and watching you cry.

What will your decklist look like, that will be able to hate on the current metagame while still assembling your mill pieces?

Here's another thing you'll need to ask yourself.

Do you really want to be trying to mill people in a format that is so utterly dominated by Vengevine and Knight of the Reliquary? Suffer the Past is worthless (though a neat Fireball for limited) and Leyline of the Void is easily hated out by the ever so amazing Qasali Pridemage, or Maelstrom Pulse....

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Archive trap
    Hedron Crab

Here are my problems.

1) Jace's Ingenuity+Jace 2.0: One is an enchantment that does essentially nothing on its own. The other is a card that you should just be using to crush the opponent with card advantage/flexibility not a 2 card horrible tome scour every turn.

2) Archive Trap: Easily played around, and unless you draw multiples 13 cards isn't really that big of a deal.

3) Hedron Crab: Is going to mill maybe 3 cards before it has to chump block or die to a lightning bolt.

4) Traumatize+Haunting Echoes: This combo has been around forever and it never sees play. Want to know why? Because it's a ten mana, two card combo that has absolutely no impact on the board in a format that is all about having a board presence. Yes, it essentially wins you the game, but while you're trying to assemble this 10 mana monstrosity the opponent is beating you about the ears with a turn 2 Putrid Leech or putting Soldier tokens onto the table with Elspeth, or just Mana Leaking your ass and watching you cry.

What will your decklist look like, that will be able to hate on the current metagame while still assembling your mill pieces?

Here's another thing you'll need to ask yourself.

Do you really want to be trying to mill people in a format that is so utterly dominated by Vengevine and Knight of the Reliquary? Suffer the Past is worthless (though a neat Fireball for limited) and Leyline of the Void is easily hated out by the ever so amazing Qasali Pridemage, or Maelstrom Pulse....

Traumatize + Haunting Echoes is a ten mana combo. But you achieve that over two turns. Turn four Traumatize (because you're playing with Everflowing Chalice) Turn five haunting echoes. Bam game over essentially.

Vengevine should not be a problem, don't forget this is a blue/black deck so counterspells and creature destruction abound. Knight of the Reliquary hardly holds any place in the meta-game, and in three months holds no place in the meta game.

I do agree Jace + Jace's Ingenuity is not that great of a combo. Jace's Ingenuity is there though, and with the many ways blue has to draw cards it will see some play.

I have not finalized the decklist, but it is forming in my head. I have complete confidence that this will be a very competitive deck type though.

Now am I going to ditch my green beat down deck for it? Probably not. But that's because I far prefer aggro to control.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So you're just going to run Traumatize into a Mana Leak on turn four?
    And I like how you dismiss Vengevine on the grounds that you run a lot of counters and destruction. Vengevine gets AROUND those counters and destruction because of his ability.

Also, Knight of the Reliquary sees play in both versions of Mythic, any Naya Variant, certain G/W variants, and certain levels of non-mythic Bant.

Just because Jace's Ingenuity is there doesn't mean you should be using it.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112