Options

Mario who is Super and Papery loves to waggle

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Shade wrote: »
    I just got the game and am doing the rubee thing, I know there is probobly some trick to get around earning that many, but I want to see what happens if I do get the full amount. Hence I have a rubberband on the wiimote holding down the side button while I read the forums and play C&C3.

EDIT: apparently you can only get 18000 at a time so so much for that idea...
    It's not worth it anyway, because you still have to figure out the puzzle part of it to finish the level. Even if you earn the million traditionally (a.k.a the stupid way), it still won't help you finish the level.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    speaking of rubbes, did you know if you hold down while in the hamster wheel instead of over, mario will just slide on his ass like down a never ending hill, and the wheel will spin fast as hell?

you have to try it a few times to make it work properly though.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    speaking of rubbes, did you know if you hold down while in the hamster wheel instead of over, mario will just slide on his ass like down a never ending hill, and the wheel will spin fast as hell?

you have to try it a few times to make it work properly though.
    Yeah, a couple of people figured this out. It actually means you can complete the wheel part very quickly.

But people don't want to hear that, because they like to complain instead of actually trying to solve the puzzle.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sort of off topic, but it makes me sad to think that we're going to see very few 2D games this gen (outside on handhelds, and even then mainly on the DS). Just imagine a new 2D Castlevania or Metroid on the Wii hardware.

Oh man.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It lives!

So I have beat the game, I've done both pits, have all the pixls, (I think) and am currently doing the treasure map quests.

Is there anyway to earn money really fast in this game so I can buy all these maps? I've been selling my cooking successes, but it's still taking forever.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't think this is a spoiler, but for people that have completed the hell out of the game.
    What do you get for going back through whatever chapter has the samurai theme and fight all 100 of the guys? I want to know if it's worth trying or not.

Trevor on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Trevor wrote: »
    I don't think this is a spoiler, but for people that have completed the hell out of the game.
    What do you get for going back through whatever chapter has the samurai theme and fight all 100 of the guys? I want to know if it's worth trying or not.
    You get more cards. Its impossible to complete your card collection without doing it though. At least you can save every 25 guys and take a break if you want

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, I just beat the flopside pit of 100 trials.
    You're telling me I have to do it AGAIN!?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Yep.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Yep.
    And then when I beat it, all I get is a bunch of cards? Man, what a huge waste of time.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Yep.
    And then when I beat it, all I get is a bunch of cards? Man, what a huge waste of time.

You underestimate them:
    Double damage and infinite 3D flip

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Yep.

You underestimate them:

Except at that point aren't you pretty much done with the game? It's like what it takes to get infinite VFX in Viewtiful Joe, at that point you don't really need it eh?

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    InitialDK wrote: »

Yep.

You underestimate them:

Except at that point aren't you pretty much done with the game? It's like what it takes to get infinite VFX in Viewtiful Joe, at that point you don't really need it eh?
    If you left the sammerguys for last you can fight them.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

Yep.

You underestimate them:

If you left the sammerguys for last you can fight them.

Plus I still had most of the maps left to do after I finished Flopside.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Something I wondered. I've seen many pictures of Peach and Bowser having a wedding (and it's alluded to) but I never actually saw it when I played the game. Am I crazy?

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I don't know about you, but I like attempting low level games. You have access to the pit at chapter 5, and the first pit can be done at level 8 (you'll gain many levels in the process) and possibly lower. If you want to wait for it to be postgame material then you have no room to bitch (IMO) that the rewards aren't good enough :P

Magus`: No. You didn't see it because you didn't let the introduction (before you start the game/create your save) play.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Something I wondered. I've seen many pictures of Peach and Bowser having a wedding (and it's alluded to) but I never actually saw it when I played the game. Am I crazy?
    You're not crazy, but the wedding is there. I did the same thing. Solution: Turn on Wii; load game; watch.

Edit: by "load game" I mean start up SPM, not load your saved game.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Magus` wrote: »

It's the opening cinematic. Next time you play don't press anything when the game starts and it'll play.

edit - beat'd

bruin on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I just really got into this. A bit shy on money earlier.

I'm just past O'chunks and I have a blue platform that does something to unlock the star block but I have no idea what.

I'm finding that using the Wiimote to "investigate" things really hard as it seems to flake out when trying to "lock" in on something.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, I loved this game.

It really exceeded my expectations.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Wow, I loved this game.

It really exceeded my expectations.
    It really is a great game. Now that I've beat it, I'm thinking I'm just going to put it away for a while and try to forget about it. That way, I can come back in several months and play through it fresh again. I don't normally play through single player games again after I've beaten them, but I can see this being one of those games I come back to time and time again, like Super Metroid or Ocarina of Time.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    I just really got into this. A bit shy on money earlier.

I'm just past O'chunks and I have a blue platform that does something to unlock the star block but I have no idea what.

I'm finding that using the Wiimote to "investigate" things really hard as it seems to flake out when trying to "lock" in on something.

If you mean it kind of wavers when you try to lock, I *think* that's intentional. At least, that's what it did to me.

Magus` on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know what you guys are talking about.

slash000 on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is there any point to the cards that aren't enemies (Red and Green, Peach (2), etc) besides 100% completion purposes?

Because, if not, I need the scratch...

cytorak on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    cytorak wrote: »
    Is there any point to the cards that aren't enemies (Red and Green, Peach (2), etc) besides 100% completion purposes?

Because, if not, I need the scratch...

They're just there to be cool, I think. Getting all the cards gets you squat.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hahahahhahaha, oh my God.

Did Francis just pull out a Dating Sim to talk to Peach? This is the funniest fucking game I've ever played.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The only gripe I have with this game is that you get nothing for 100 percent completion. You get a nice little bonus for the pits, but getting all the cards and finishing all the maps doesn't seem to offer squat. You don't even get to find out what actually happened to
    Tippi and The Count, do you? I haven't found it if you do. Has anyone actually gone back and beat all 100 spammers after the endgame?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    Hahahahhahaha, oh my God.

Did Francis just pull out a Dating Sim to talk to Peach? This is the funniest fucking game I've ever played.
    Chapter 3 is the pinnacle of Paper Mario games. There's just no topping it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Where is the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials?

Couscous on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Where is the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials?

Have you been to Flopside? Notice how everything is a mirror image of Flipside?

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Does the plot of this game remind anybody else of Kingdom Hearts except with less talking?

Couscous on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I got this game at launch and never beat it due to how my Wii remote likes to completely drain a battery in 3 days, even when I'm not playing. I just got rechargeable batteries though and have finally resumed playing. All I have to say is I thought the whole
    Saying please 5 times and the ginormous button combination he gives you
    part was hilarious. I'm only a little bit past that part now. However, I absolutely hated the chapter before this one. 4? I think that was it. That chapter was garbage. Nothing about it was fun except for the boss.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Chapters 6 and 7 went way darker than the rest of the game. I almost cried at the end of 7. Ok, maybe one tear.
    I was actually kinda pissed that the "You Got a Pure Heart!" scene was unchanged from normal, even though you just watched a sobbing little girl give up her life for you. It seemed so inappropriate, especially with the grieving parents right there, still partially onscreen.

The ghosts in hell kinda made up for it by making me laugh, but it was an awkward laugh, as I realized the game was telling me that this is what happens every time you kill Mario.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Chapters 6 and 7 went way darker than the rest of the game. I almost cried at the end of 7. Ok, maybe one tear.
    I was actually kinda pissed that the "You Got a Pure Heart!" scene was unchanged from normal, even though you just watched a sobbing little girl give up her life for you. It seemed so inappropriate, especially with the grieving parents right there, still partially onscreen.
    Unlike the other characters that "die", she never comes back. That scene was depressing. CONGRATULATIONS! YOU GOT THE SOUL OF AN INNOCENT!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Unlike the other characters that "die", she never comes back. That scene was depressing. CONGRATULATIONS! YOU GOT THE SOUL OF AN INNOCENT!
    Did you go back after you beat the game? I'm pretty sure she's come back if you do.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So without reading through this entire thread and thus spoiling the game utterly for myself, do we have any idea when this is going to be released in the UK?

I am of the opinion PAL in England means: Piss All-Over Limeys

This game is already translated, HOW LONG CAN IT TAKE?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    See, that right there is where you're wrong.

There have only been four, count 'em, FOUR Mario games that take place in the Mushroom Kingdom, and even that's being generous. They are SMB, SMB2 Japan, and Paper Mario 1. Mario and Luigi 2, one of the games that you pointed out as not having the Mushroom Kingdom, actually does have it, it just looks absolutely nothing like what it usually does. No other game has done the Mushroom Kingdom.

The overall Mushroom World is probably more accurate, really. SPM takes place in another dimension, so it's out.

Super Mario RPG had the Mushroom Kingdom, and the start of Superstar Saga is in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sarasaland is another group of kingdoms in Super Mario Land.
    SMB3 is The Mushroom World, which is basically every place on Earth besides the Mushroom Kingdom.

They say the Kingdom is an entrance to the world.
    Mario 64 is technically within the Mushroom Kingdom, but all of the levels are the alternate worlds of the paintings so TMK isn't exactly getting "fleshed out."

I've wondered if they're actually other worlds, or gateways to different parts of the Mushroom World. Besides Bowser's troops being there, isn't "Dry Dry Desert" a painting that's also in other Mario games?

Mario Sunshine is Isle Delfino
    I don't remember the name of the world of Paper Mario 2, but it wasn't Mushroom Kingdom. Same goes for Mario and Luigi 1.

Rogueport, Petalburg, and the rest I believe are towns in the Mushroom Kingdom, if memory serves.

And Superstar Saga was the neighboring Beanbean Kingdom.
    Neither Luigi's Mansion nor NSMB specify what country(ies) they take place in, so they're both a toss-up.

The promos and other stuff for NSMB say "the new Mushroom Kingdom," so...

Anyway, all the above games tend to share a common aesthetic to them that Super Paper Mario unfortunately lacks. It's excusable in that it's in another dimension, but at the same time, not quite as endearing to some of us as Mario's Mushroom World.

Which I believe is the ultimate issue at hand here.

Of course, there are some characters and parts that are more endearing than the central Flipside. The mystic characters, the pipe-digger, the Pixls (who are tragically reduced to only showing any character when introduced), and Count Blech's crew.
    Also, I don't think I've said this yet, but the ending is amazing. I never would have expected that kind of thing from a Mario game.

I would have said the same, but TTYD and NSMB have changed my expectations.
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    OK. So. I like Mario. At least, most Mario games. Platformers are great fun, and I even like Sunshine.

Super Mario RPG? Fantastic.

Paper Mario? Too linear. It felt...boring. I gave up after about 10 hours or so.

TTYD? I dunno. I was too scared off by Paper Mario to give it a try.

M&L? Again, PM really scared me away from "Mario RPGs".

Do I dare give Mario's Paper form another chance? Will I get burned?

...can I have your PM, if you still have it?
    Keith wrote: »
    Holy shit Mario & Luigi is the best in the Mario RPG series go play it now

Ugh, M&L:SS isn't that good... Paper Mario, all the way.
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    mario and luigi is easily the WORST of the mario RPGs.

Thank you.

And on another note of Super Paper Mario, I love how the Pits of 100 Trials are based on Game & Watch.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    do we have any idea when this is going to be released in the UK?

How odd, I just came in here to post the exact same thing. I've heard July, but nothing more solid than that.

Six months, where the only Wii release that's even made a blip on my radar is Heatseeker. Good job, Nintendo.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    UnderHero5UnderHero5 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I bought the game on the day it came out. Beat it, along with a couple side quests, and sold is to a friend for $35. Not too shabby!

It was a good game, but not the kind I'd play through again. I beat the game at 20 hours 7 minutes.

UnderHero5 on
    -=Evildoers Beware=-
    XBL: UnderHero5
    Steam/PSN: UnderHero5
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Speaking of postgame stuff, has anyone else bothered to re-visit chapter 7-4? There's something of a surprise there (not an item/card).

Barrakketh on