As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Child Dying In Horrible Ways

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought there was, there's a little hitch that I thought would do something, but it does not. I can't avoid the thing it stabs me every time.

I am at a loss!

You are not supposed to get by the spider. Keep heading to the right. Don't get caught-up in any kind of back-tracking while she's chasing you. The solution is very simple once you figure it out.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the Shadow Children are so such intriguing. Since you're left to make up of the game what you will, they raise some incredible questions. Who are they? Children like you, who went into Limbo looking for something, but gotten lost and had their inner light extinguished? And why do they kill other kids? Are they evil, and kill just for the fun of it? Or do they hate you because you bring about an ache in them, of something they've forgotten and can't quite remember?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this game is pretty awesome, I got a little past the
    first brain slug thing

before I had to take a break.

oh god giant spiderssss D:

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It was a fucking LOG not a DOCK. I just had to push it!

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the Shadow Children are so such intriguing. Since you're left to make up of the game what you will, they raise some incredible questions. Who are they? Children like you, who went into Limbo looking for something, but gotten lost and had their inner light extinguished? And why do they kill other kids? Are they evil, and kill just for the fun of it? Or do they hate you because you bring about an ache in them, of something they've forgotten and can't quite remember?
    I didn't realize they were supposed to be other children.

At first, since this is Limbo and all, I assumed that they were some sort of spirits or devils that were trying to torment me. But as I went, I noticed that they almost always seem to act defensively, and retreat whenever you get too close (other than the puzzle where they have the blowdarts). That seemed to imply to me that they're actually just trying to protect themselves against an invader into their home.

The blowdart puzzle also made it seem like, despite my previous belief, they're not the ones that designed all these traps. Why would a group that could build complex machinery like the trip-wire smasher things not have anything more sophisticated than a blowdart?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember seeing the website for this back in like 2006 and thinking it looked awesome. I'm sort of surprised to see it actually finished.

is it coming out for anything besides XBLA?

Mitten on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    probably PSN/PC next year

Naphtali on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For a game with no exposition, I sure am spending a lot of time thinking about the story.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright I need a hint
    Right after killing the three shadow people. There's a set of two stone doors attached to pulleys. There's one rope right next to them that controls the second door, and another up a ladder that controls the first. There's also a minecart for some reason. Right below the higher rope is a set of gears that maim you if you get in between them.

If you pull the higher rope, then run down, there's just barely enough time to get under the first door, but if you stop to pull on the rope for the second door, you don't have time to get through the first. I'm completely stumped.

My instinct says there's a way to shut off the gears since you'd have enough time if you could drop through that hole, but I can't find any kind of mechanism controlling them. I'm also clueless as to what the minecart is supposed to be for.

I don't really want a total answer, just a hint would be nice.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Minecart is the key.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That one took me a while. What's the only good reason the minecart might be there?

Darric on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Beside, I mean, you know, hauling ore.

Darric on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I got it. That's actually the very first thing I tried, but I messed up slightly and it didn't work so I dismissed it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hate that in puzzle platformers. I did that a bunch in Braid: dismissing perfectly good ideas because they don't seem like you can actually pull them off.

Except half an hour later you realize you had it exactly right.

Darric on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ewwwwwwww
    brain slugs D:

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    god this game is amazing

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Takin' a break, right now I'm trying to work out
    The puzzle with the elevator.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, this game is my super top favorite

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got really far last night I guess, I'm way past all the stuff in y'all's spoilers

I am best at games where children die

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really really want a limbo thing but I'm jailed. Only a few more days!

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just beat this, super great but oh so short

I absolutely love the types of games that have been made possible by platforms like Live Arcade

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I didn't realize they were supposed to be other children.

At first, since this is Limbo and all, I assumed that they were some sort of spirits or devils that were trying to torment me. But as I went, I noticed that they almost always seem to act defensively, and retreat whenever you get too close (other than the puzzle where they have the blowdarts). That seemed to imply to me that they're actually just trying to protect themselves against an invader into their home.

The blowdart puzzle also made it seem like, despite my previous belief, they're not the ones that designed all these traps. Why would a group that could build complex machinery like the trip-wire smasher things not have anything more sophisticated than a blowdart?
    The way I figure it, the lost children are just that. They are stuck in Limbo. They've probably forgotten all about any life they once had and are acting out of pure survival. The little boy's arrival is new and strange to them, as they've lost their light and have gone completely Lord of the Flies. They probably fear and hate the boy equally.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played the trial version of this. not sure if I think it's worth the money yet, as I'm guessing it's pretty short

good shit though

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I got through the trial (only dying once!) and enjoyed it, but I'm thinking about waiting for the inevitable deal-of-the-week special before purchase.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah 1200 is a bit too much.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's definitely short, but I'm all for rewarding people who make games as creative as this

I'm going to have to do a second playthrough real soon

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to disagree

1200 is not too much

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok that's great, but I'm guessing you have your own credit card and source of income so hey.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok that's great, but I'm guessing you have your own credit card and source of income so hey.

Perhaps you should have said that you couldn't afford it, or that you can't justify the cost.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I meant in a couldn't really justify spending all my remaining points on it.

If I had freeflowing points/digital money I wouldn't mind at all.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I mean in an absolute dollar value amount this game is less than half the cost of a typical DS game and far more enjoyable than most

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh damn I forgot this was out.

Shame I can't afford it now.

101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Maybe I am just bad at it

but so far I've put about 4 hours into it and I'm still not at the end

so I think the length is good for the price

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh god I got to the factory
    Oh god buzzsaws and gears everywhere

and right when you near that shadow person (your sister?) you get brain slugged and carried away, and you get back and its all gone D:

Naphtali on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Oh god I got to the factory
    Oh god buzzsaws and gears everywhere

and right when you near that shadow person (your sister?) you get brain slugged and carried away, and you get back and its all gone D:

yeah that part was awesome

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Walmart has a boy and his blob for wii on clearance

I kinda want it

but on the other hand I feel like this game is meeting my puzzle-platformer quota for the year

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This demo is fun, I wish I hadn't watched the Giant Bomb video though, it kind of spoiled the beginning puzzles.

101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not going to be able to get back to this game until Tuesday and since I haven't reached the factory areas yet, I'm guessing it's in my best interest to ignore this thread or at least resist spoilers.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    joe you motherfucker I am not seeing a MNC thread yet

get on that

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm on vacation man, cut me some slack!

TankHammer on