As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest (PA)IX!! FINAL INSTRUCTIONS!! OP UPDATED!! I'M YELLING!

• Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be at the Gamestop in Alderwood Mall in Lynwood WA for the event if anyone is around there.

I'll of course be at PAX with it as well, and I'll have it for downtime during the Magical Mystery Tour.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Covet wrote: »
    I'm a little late to the thread, so my apologies for necroposting if it's gone down that far... Anyway, I'll have my DQIX with me at PAX. If I haven't beaten it by then, I'd love some high-level help to complete the Comic-Con map and then I'll pass it around.

Define 'high level' and I will do my best to be ready. I want to make sure and get that map. I'm currently spread over several classes, but can specialize as needed. :)

Solelron on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How am I supposed to have high enough level pokemon AND a bunch of DQ9 leveling done? I better get cracking, I don't even HAVE DQ9 yet, and just got SoulSilver a couple days ago.

I am slow, but by God I'll have a Pokewalker and be able to grab maps!

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Solelron wrote: »
    Define 'high level' and I will do my best to be ready.
    The boss hits for around 350 and one-shot my lvl 38 Warrior, so 'high level' is anything that can survive that. :) I'm currently working on rerolling Mage & Sage, so I'll be able to do magic dmg and/or healing. I'm thinking it would be good to bring some physical damage...
    akjak wrote: »
    How am I supposed to have high enough level pokemon AND a bunch of DQ9 leveling done? I better get cracking, I don't even HAVE DQ9 yet, and just got SoulSilver a couple days ago.

Haha, I know what you mean. I'll have my Pokewalker with me, too. But right now, I've gotta focus on leveling in DQIX!

Covet on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Define 'high level' and I will do my best to be ready.
    The boss hits for around 350 and one-shot my lvl 38 Warrior, so 'high level' is anything that can survive that. :) I'm currently working on rerolling Mage & Sage, so I'll be able to do magic dmg and/or healing. I'm thinking it would be good to bring some physical damage...

I should be ready for that by PAX. I'm hitting the 30's in my primary force, with all of them being 15-20 in a secondary class already and I'm just about to wrap the academy up.

Solelron on
  • Options
    stankerbellstankerbell Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just wanted to post that if anyone in the Thurston County area was thinking about heading to a local Gamestop for the DQIX event, they won't be participating. You have to drive up to the Lakewood 72nd St. store.

stankerbell on
  • Options
    Gamedeals.caGamedeals.ca Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Firmed up some plans for PAX tonight... we WILL be holding a DQ IX meetup in our suite on the Friday night. Details will be posted on our Facebook page & Twitter feed closer to PAX, but it will be on the Friday night for sure. Also, anyone that has any of the exclusive maps (Comic Con, Gamestop, etc.) and has beaten them (so they can share them), please join us at some point in the evening even if you have other plans (concert, etc.).

Gamedeals.ca on
    GameDeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster (GVA)
    Just off Columbia Skytrain Station.
    http://www.gamedeals.ca
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So because of this thread I'm seriously considering picking up a DS and DQIX but have never owned either. Played a friends a little but that's about it. Should I get the XL version now that they are out? I never got one because I wasn't sure there would be much I liked to play (big rpg fan but not so much turn based combat..) and I have been know to prefer really nice graphics.. I currently own no hand held systems though just a lot of consoles and a PC. Thanks and sorry if its slightly off topic.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    DTJAAAAMDTJAAAAM Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I do have and have conquered the Comic-Con, GameStop, and famous Japanese Masayuki maps, so I'll try to be there and share with those that need 'em.

DTJAAAAM on
  • Options
    ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll definitely be bringing DQIX/pokewalkers to PAX as well. Probably even to the pre-dinner/tri-wizard/post-dinner. :)
    DTJAAAAM wrote: »
    I do have and have conquered the Comic-Con, GameStop, and famous Japanese Masayuki maps, so I'll try to be there and share with those that need 'em.

Awesome! I sure hope I find you at PAX, high-fives, fist pounds & congratulations are in order. :mrgreen:

Shiggles on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    So because of this thread I'm seriously considering picking up a DS and DQIX but have never owned either. ...Should I get the XL version now that they are out?

The DSi and XL are exactly the same (IIRC) other than the screen size. Having said that, I bought the XL because I do like the bigger screen, but I don't think the graphics are necessarily better. Just bigger, although they don't get pixelated and jaggy looking.

I love my DS, but actually seldom play it unless there's a game that totally consumes me. Past winners: Final Fantasy Tactics/A2, Chrono Trigger (ah the memories...), Advance Wars, and now Pokemon SoulSilver. Haven't picked up DQIX yet, but I will.

akjak on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So because of this thread I'm seriously considering picking up a DS and DQIX but have never owned either. Played a friends a little but that's about it. Should I get the XL version now that they are out? I never got one because I wasn't sure there would be much I liked to play (big rpg fan but not so much turn based combat..) and I have been know to prefer really nice graphics.. I currently own no hand held systems though just a lot of consoles and a PC. Thanks and sorry if its slightly off topic.

I bought a DS Lite becasue of the Pokemon thread and played it a bit, but it didn't really "grab" me. And then came DQ9. This game pushes all the same Skinner Box buttons that drives people to go on 8-hour long WoW raids. It has loot-lust, skill min/maxing, interesting but ignorable story lines, multi-player action, etc, etc, etc. I think our host, Jerry Holkins (aka Tycho Brahe), said it best:

"Dragon Quest IX and my Nintendo DSi entertainment system are now fused, representing a single, dedicated entertainment apparatus. Anything not absolutely necessary for the playing of this most recent Dragon Quest has become vestigial.

I couldn't even tell you where my stylus is.

I keep thinking that the joy will abate, or that the game will get too comfortable with itself, or some other thing that never ends up being true. It exhibits confidence and class well beyond what should (by rights) fit on a tiny square this size. And its portability assures that it is always there, like a hound gnawing a tennis ball, wagging its tail by the door in a state of eager, perpetual joy. This must be what the true Dragon Quest enthusiast wants: to come in to the series completely fresh. Well, I'm doing that. And it's as great as you hoped."

In short, if you can afford it, buying a used DS (DS Lite, DSi, or DSi XL) off of eBay and go spend the $35 for a copy of DQ9. Even if you never play another DS game again, it will be money well spent.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    monkeyholemonkeyhole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will definitely have my DS on me and in tag mode as often as possible while at the convention center.
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but would it be helpful to display a common signal if you're a DQ9er and running around in tag mode?
    Like... if you've got your DS in your back pocket in tag mode, you also have a blue construction-paper slime shape pinned to your shirt? That way if you're in visual range but not wireless range, we'll still be able to find each other? From what I've read, the DS wireless range is only about 65 ft.

monkeyhole on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    from my experience this weekend at the Gamestop event, as you can only tag 3 people at a time, you are going to be constantly checking it so as to know when to reset.

plus you have to remember to talk to each of them to get any maps they may have before they 'cycle' out of your inn.

Solelron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll try to wear my Comic-Con DQ9 Slime shirt on at least one of the three days to make it easier to see me. Anyone going to one of these Simon Mall events before PAX?

http://www.gamertell.com/gaming/comment/nintendo-taking-dragon-quest-ix-9-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies-ds-on-tour/

I want that map, but the tour isn't coming to Seattle. I, and I'm sure many others, would appreciate it if someone could get and share that map at PAX!

DTJAAAAM on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Stupid Best Buy only in Salem for Oregon.

Solelron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Anyone going to one of these Simon Mall events before PAX?

http://www.gamertell.com/gaming/comment/nintendo-taking-dragon-quest-ix-9-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies-ds-on-tour/

I want that map, but the tour isn't coming to Seattle. I, and I'm sure many others, would appreciate it if someone could get and share that map at PAX!

I should be able to get the Simon Mall map, but like the other maps I have (Comic-Con, GameStop, Masayuki & soon to be Best Buy) I'll likely need help to beat it before I can pass it around.

Covet on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Anyone going to one of these Simon Mall events before PAX?

I should be able to get the Simon Mall map, but like the other maps I have (Comic-Con, GameStop, Masayuki & soon to be Best Buy) I'll likely need help to beat it before I can pass it around.

By the time PAX is around I should be strong enough to help you beat some maps then acquire them LOL.

Just bring the collection with ya. I'm sure people will be doing plenty of multi-player

Solelron on
  • Options
    honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

By the time PAX is around I should be strong enough to help you beat some maps then acquire them LOL.

Just bring the collection with ya. I'm sure people will be doing plenty of multi-player

True dat. I'm gearing up a Paladin with the GigaSlash and All Eyes on Me, to aid in treasure map unlocking goodness. In fact, now would be a good time to start discussing what builds we're bringing to PAX, so that we can compliment each other better...

Also, has anyone found one of the fabled "Liquid Metal Slime" maps yet?

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    honestD wrote: »
    True dat. I'm gearing up a Paladin with the GigaSlash and All Eyes on Me, to aid in treasure map unlocking goodness. In fact, now would be a good time to start discussing what builds we're bringing to PAX, so that we can compliment each other better...

I'm leveling up a Sage. I don't remember her build off the top of my head, so I'll update later.
    ETA: I've got her maxed in Faith, Spellcraft and Enlightenment. 84 points in Wand and putting the rest into Shield as I level.

Doesn't the Masayuki map have one level (B15, iirc) that's all liquid metal slimes? I thought I heard so.

Also, I'll be at Best Buy in Bellevue tomorrow for the map distribution.

Covet on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mines mostly an Armsmaster, but I keep switching out for a few free skill points. Need to max out fource still.

Solelron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yep, I have the Masayuki map, which does indeed have the 15th floor filled with metal king slimes. I can bring a revocated character from 1 to 99 in a few hours thanks to that.

DTJAAAAM on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yep, I have the Masayuki map, which does indeed have the 15th floor filled with metal king slimes. I can bring a revocated character from 1 to 99 in a few hours thanks to that.

nice. have to share that map. I'm hoping to get the best buy map today..

*EDIT UPDATE*

33 different people, now up to 4 pages in maps, including best buy map. Now just need NOA2 and 3 (comic-con and Masayuki I'm assuming)

Solelron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    NOA3 gave me the Comic-Con map. Masayuki isn't an official map, so I'm assuming NOA2 will be at the Simon Mall events.

DTJAAAAM on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Where is that grotto located? And what's the map called? Just because I have a map that could very well be similar to that one...

honestD on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Ruby Path of Doom Lv. 87, which is slightly east of Batsureg.

DTJAAAAM on
  • Options
    ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just a heads up:

There will be a DQ9 meet up Friday @ 3pm in the Hand Held HQ

Share maps and kick butt with all your new PAX friends :)

Scoots on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We will be rocking our new IT'S PARTY SLIME! tee shirts.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So is anyone coming from NYC? Apparently, they're having Tag Mode Tuesdays, for locals to play and trade maps for DQIX, and I'd appreciate it if one of y'all could head on down to PAX to share the best of what you've got!

Thanks!

HD

honestD on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    ...Must. Finish. SoulSilver. Play. Dragon. Quest.

akjak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    akjak wrote: »
    ...Must. Finish. SoulSilver. Play. Dragon. Quest.

Can't. Level... Or. Talk. At. Normal. Rate....

honestD on

• Options
    KilnikKilnik Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone in LA? I just got my first map the other day (with Equinox - boy is he tough).

I've put the game in tag mode quite a bit but I don't really frequent areas* that are ripe with other players, and I don't think it would be cool** for me to troll around schools with my DS bulging in my pocket.

*all I do is work
    **read: I'm old.

Kilnik on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Scoots wrote: »
    Just a heads up:

Arg during one of the only Friday panels I care about. Should plan a 2nd time/day for this as well for those that can't make this one.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Just a heads up:

Arg during one of the only Friday panels I care about. Should plan a 2nd time/day for this as well for those that can't make this one.

What about 3:00 pm every day in the handheld HQ? That way there's some consistency.

Covet on
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just a heads up:

Awesome, right after the RAGE demo! I'll be there.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think it's Pokemon meetups in the lounge the other two days.

Got my copy of DQIX, opened up Quester's Rest and ready to go! (Although I hope I will actually have a map or two to trade)

akjak on
  • Options
    mtjimmermtjimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Assuming I can find a 3-day pass somewhere before then, I think most of my time will be playing DQ9 IX. Like every day. :)

mtjimmer on
    3DS: 4940-5610-9523; Pokemon Safari: [Poison] Gloom, Ariados, Whirlipede
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mtjimmer wrote: »
    Assuming I can find a 3-day pass somewhere before then, I think most of my time will be playing DQ9. Like every day. :)

Couldn't you just do that at home?

akjak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just a heads up:

What about 3:00 pm every day in the handheld HQ? That way there's some consistency.

That's what this thread is about, guys! I'm down for 3pm every day... We'll recognize each other after the first day anyway...

honestD on

• Options
    LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If I were to pick up a copy this week, would I have enough time between now and PAX to have something of use for trading? I've never played a DQ game but I've always been curious, and I figure that Pokemon shouldn't be the only thing I have with me to play with other people. I'm still on the fence, as I usually like a RPG with a meaty story, but I think I can forgive the lack of one for some fun gameplay.

Lumenadducere on
This discussion has been closed.