As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Where are those damn Assassistants?)

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can see him suction cupping up a building now and people in offices inside looking at him on the windows and saying in muffled voices "What is that man doing? Has he gone mad?"

About the ending credits section.
    Vidic orders the guards to capture them alive, that's why they went with the batons and didn't shoot them.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Kazaka wrote: »
    I'm concerned that they'll have to address Desmond's time eventually for story purposes. Can't forget the fact that the threat is current-time Templars, not past ones. Even though we play the game mainly in Desmond's memories, and get involved in plots there, we have to remember they're actually mostly subplots with little relevance to the unifying main story. Not to say that they're uninteresting, but Ubi will have to eventually close things out in the present.

Well, regarding the AC2 ending...
    The assault on the Assassin hideout was done by people attacking in melee. They could have stormed the place with guns, but they went in for some good old fashioned fisticuffs. It's not a stretch to guess that if we ever do anything in Desmonds time regarding the Templars, they'll be equally as unlikely to use guns in any huge sense. I think the end set that up nicely - it may be the future, but the Templars and Assassins still settle things like men.
    The batons had more to do with Ubisoft not wanting to completely change up the gameplay for a 2-minute ending segment. Now that Brotherhood is experimenting with firearms, we should see them in AC3.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I totally missed the multiplayer trailer. Man that looks all kinds of badass.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    Kazaka wrote: »
    I'm concerned that they'll have to address Desmond's time eventually for story purposes. Can't forget the fact that the threat is current-time Templars, not past ones. Even though we play the game mainly in Desmond's memories, and get involved in plots there, we have to remember they're actually mostly subplots with little relevance to the unifying main story. Not to say that they're uninteresting, but Ubi will have to eventually close things out in the present.

Well, regarding the AC2 ending...
    The assault on the Assassin hideout was done by people attacking in melee. They could have stormed the place with guns, but they went in for some good old fashioned fisticuffs. It's not a stretch to guess that if we ever do anything in Desmonds time regarding the Templars, they'll be equally as unlikely to use guns in any huge sense. I think the end set that up nicely - it may be the future, but the Templars and Assassins still settle things like men.
    The batons had more to do with Ubisoft not wanting to completely change up the gameplay for a 2-minute ending segment. Now that Brotherhood is experimenting with firearms, we should see them in AC3.
    What does this mean for defense, too? Can I deflect bullets with my melee weapon? Dodge them? Take several without dying? Where is the line here?

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You'll probably wear armor that can be busted, like AC2. I hope you can't take many hits without it. Dodging bullets is silly, but it will be harder to aim if you're hopping all over the place. There has to be some kind of ranged disarming.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As long as throwing knives retain their railgun properties, you shouldn't need to fear guns anyway. Just throw in a cover system so you can peak around corners and stick a knife in someone from range.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm pretty sure they'll do a whole series of past games and then when time forces them to redesign the engine they will go FUTURE

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You know, I think AC Brotherhood is setting up the melee only Templars of the future. They're training Templars in Assassin vs Assassin combat on animi in Abstergo, which is the whole point of the multiplayer mode. If they were just going to issue hand cannons to everyone and get them to hunt down the assassins, i don't think they'd bother with the animus training.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Melee only Templars of the future? That's.....Improbable. Why would they not use technology of that time? Sure, Ryu Hyabusa in the Ninja Gaiden games only used ninja weapons, but I'm guessing they have some sort've rule about that. They actually show gun wielding templar in the E3 trailer. They probaly want them to train in the art of assassinating so they can combat them easier, learning their ways so they could maybe stop the assassination of one of their higher ups, or finding out what their weakness is. In the future they will probaly make a silenced semi auto gun that connects to the hidden blade, just like they made the early tech of gun technology latch onto it. Plus, Assassins are obviously better in Melee, so the Templars would be retarded not to use guns.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm basically just going to wait and see what they do regarding guns. I can see at least two ways to justify both inclusion and exclusion. I'm pretty sure they're sitting there thinking hard about it, considering how well they learnt from the lessons of the first game.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The thing that makes me think they will be going future later rather than sooner is that it's pretty clear that the devs really love the historical aspect of the series, and I don't see them giving that up for a pretty bland fantasy future world.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    The world doesn't have to be bland if they don't want it to be.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    They actually show gun wielding templar in the E3 trailer.

That was a rooftop guard with a flintlock. They'll probably take the place of rooftop guards with bows. I just got the impression from the end of AC2, and the multiplayer story tie in of AC: Brotherhood, that they're trying to stress that the modern day Templars are more about the fisticuffs than the guns.

Not that I think it'll happen in any big sense anyway. Social stealth, running on rooftops, doesn't work at all when you think of a modern day assassins creed. They could move to make it a non-open world game, more like Splinter Cell really, but the core gameplay systems currently in place wouldn't work at all.

You're a normal guy doing free running. You're not going to be able to scale a huge, modern building with any form of ease. You're not going to be able to hide in groups of people, because people are more suspicious of strangers in modern times. Like, how are you meant to eagle jump off a viewpoint you found 15 stories high, without convenient hay bails lining the streets?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The world doesn't have to be bland if they don't want it to be.

I mean it's not like we have a lot to go on so far, but the present time setting of AC seems like a pretty uninteresting "When Ipods rule the earth" future aesthetic to me.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Psh

AC's Apple World is totally a place I want to be

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No, Abstergo's style is Apple World.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know

I want to go to there

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    okay you kids can go work for Abstergo

I'll stay here in 15th century Italy dying of plague

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You're a normal guy doing free running. You're not going to be able to scale a huge, modern building with any form of ease. You're not going to be able to hide in groups of people, because people are more suspicious of strangers in modern times. Like, how are you meant to eagle jump off a viewpoint you found 15 stories high, without convenient hay bails lining the streets?

Big city + apartments/fire escapes/car parks/malls (real life parkour, anyone?) + trash bins.

Maybe there is a random chance of contracting AIDs from a used needle during every jump.

That is the risk you take when avoiding captors.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Klash wrote: »

Big city + apartments/fire escapes/car parks/malls (real life parkour, anyone?) + trash bins.

Maybe there is a random chance of contracting AIDs from a used needle during every jump.

That is the risk you take when avoiding captors.

You're expecting them to be able to do a big, modern city with interiors to all of the buildings. Even if the current generation of consoles could handle that, they wouldn't have the time to create said gameworld. So, you'd have a city made up of apartment blocks to use said fire escapes as hand holds. Pretty sure cities have other buildings.

edit - I do realize modern cities have been done in a similar game - infamous. With a similar climbing mechanic. However, it was a fictional city, with way more pipes and odd bits on buildings for handholds than actual buildings have, and Assassins Creed doesn't have the luxury of basing a game in a fictional setting unless it goes into the future. And then it's worse, because as already said, ipod buildings. Not to mention the majority of the buildings in infamous were pretty small.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's pretty clear that a modern AC could be done, but it would obviously be a lot more work than going from Jerusalem to Italy.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    infamous did it

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Why would we need interiors, though? Thinking about Prototype, I don't see why just having a Manhattan sized area wouldn't work. Its not like with properly and conveniently placed bricks ever so slightly jutting out of buildings, you couldn't maneuver around Times Square like a complete ponce.

Also, who would even care? All the New Yorkers would just toss stuff at you and yell in horrible fake Bronx accents while the tourists take photos.

In fact, they could replace minstrels with Japanese tourists screaming "TAKE PHOTO, PREASE!" and usurp Capcom for their work on RE5. Also their flash could blind you and muck up your aim, no ground-level gunning for you, Desmond!

Klash on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    infamous did it

I know, I edited my post about that. However, it was a fictional city, with buildings that have more protrusions than normal buildings actually have to provide hand holds, and where the average buildings didn't break 4 stories high. Plus, you know, he could fly between the high gaps where streets were.
    Klash wrote: »
    Why would we need interiors, though? Thinking about Prototype, I don't see why just having a Manhattan sized area wouldn't work. Its not like with properly and conveniently placed bricks ever so slightly jutting out of buildings, you couldn't maneuver around Times Square like a complete ponce.

prototype had a guy who could run straight up a 100 story building, jump off, and land with no ill effect. Who could, like in infamous, fly. They didn't need to worry about the fact that a lot of modern buildings are too smooth to climb the way their system works.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Who says that Ubisoft's rendition of a city has to be completely accurate? I didn't play AC2, was the city the modern stuff took place in ever named?

Its not like they can't say "its ten minutes past the future" then claim the city is undergoing massive renovation (of course all sponsored by the Templar company), thus leaving open construction sites ripe for the hoping-around.

Also, you can bring lunch to construction workers and they'll beat up guards for you. It'll work.

It can be the greatest game ever.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    AC's structures already have way more protrusions than real life and are carefully designed to allow climbing and freerunning. The level designers can work with a modern setting. We have no proof of ipod buildings, we haven't even seen a modern building from the outside. The apple look is only for Abstergo as far as we know.

When I was deep in my AC kick I would actually look at buildings and find points an assassin could climb, throw in level design convenience and cities are totally doable.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Eh, I guess I'm just not convinced. I mean, there's so many problems still.

The main way to get off a building in AC is either jump off and take damage (which isn't that bad when most of the buildings are only a couple of stories), jump into a hay bale (I haven't seen many hay bales around recently) or jump into water. Not sure what I would want to land on jumping off something the size of this.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Glider wings! Suction cups! Grappling hook! I know that AC's current mechanics wouldn't work with modern cities, but that's what new stuff is for!

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    at the very least they would have to give the majority of the grunts (effective) guns, which would change gameplay a lot.

assuming the game is set in america.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    callin' it now:

AC3 is 1917 Moscow.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That I wouldn't be so against, if they did it well. At least older buildings had plenty of handholds, or places where they could put some without seeming out of place.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So are the reds the Templars or the Assassins?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There's also the benefit that, being set in Russia, everyone will be too drunk to notice someone running around in a white robe, climbing all over their buildings.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you want to see a real trick.
    You can keep on hb stabbing dudes for a really long time if you manage to initiate the next kill as soon as you finish the last one.

Like, you can walk up and stab two guards in a group of 4 then immediately stab the last 2.

I've managed to kill 8 guards this way. Two low profile standing double stabs, then a jumping double stab, and then I had to sort of run up a wall quickly to get over the falling bodies of the previous guys to get at the last couple and do a wall jump double stab.

The way it works is you can always do the hidden blade kills on enemies not "locked on" to Ezio. Soon as they lock on properly and stuff, Ezio will do the standard hb attack animation instead.

If you throw a smoke bomb, all guards are staggered. You can throw a bomb and just start going stab happy on everybody. Smoke bombs are op.

Oh yeah, and if you strafe behind somebody as they take a swipe at you and attack fast enough, you get the back kill animation. Can be handy to remember sometimes.

In one of the side assassination missions in florence, you have to kill 10 heavies within a minute of each other. I waited until they were in a single group, then attacked. With a smoke bomb, I got all within 14 seconds. Smoke bombs are pretty great.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't buy the line (AC2 ending spoiler)
    "They wanted to capture them alive, which is why they went in with batons."

I loved the credits section. But you have to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy the awesome. Because it is retarded that the templars didn't attack the assasins with guns.

The whole time the baton fights are going on, sarcastic scientist guy could have just pulled out a shotgun and said "Alright, enough screwing around, get in the fucking van"

just because you assault a place with guns, doesn't mean you're intending to shoot everyone dead. A gun is intimidating. A baton is not.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A lot of AC2's last quarter is really stupid for the sake of plot.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    True, especially the ending.

Jeez.
    Although I have to admit, when sparkly god woman was looking at me rather than Ezio, and then tells him "I am not talking to you" it gave me the chills. Which was pretty great.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    True, especially the ending.

Jeez.
    Although I have to admit, when sparkly god woman was looking at me rather than Ezio, and then tells him "I am not talking to you" it gave me the chills. Which was pretty great.

Totally, TOTALLY, agree with your spoiler. It was pretty awesome. Ive been looking for something new to play, but I still need all the feathers so maybe I'll just go back and do that instead. AC2 was so great.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I loved the credits section. But you have to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy the awesome. Because it is retarded that the templars didn't attack the assasins with guns.

The whole time the baton fights are going on, sarcastic scientist guy could have just pulled out a shotgun and said "Alright, enough screwing around, get in the fucking van"

just because you assault a place with guns, doesn't mean you're intending to shoot everyone dead. A gun is intimidating. A baton is not.
    Why wouldn't the assassin's have guns too?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Why wouldn't the assassin's have guns too?
    Honour or some shit, I don't know. I suppose aside from stealthy killing, the Asassins are reletively non-violent. They don't have a use for machine guns ... although I guess that is pretty dumb as well.

But it's the templars that were trying to one up them, intimidate them, and capture them. It was their mistake for not bringing guns. Kind of a dumb story-mistake.

I feel the need to reiterate though, I loved the credits section. But there isn't really a way to rationalise the absense of guns, beyond "The melee fighting was sweet as hell"

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg