As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers Assemble! THOR TRAILER PAGE 45

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I missed the Thor trailer :(

In it Thor and Superman have a fight but in the end, it looks like Thor is triumphant

No one saw that cameo coming

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes Jimothy

they're werewolves all the time

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I missed the Thor trailer :(

Rehosted here

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I thought the Neeson Lincoln biopic hasn't actually been confirmed?

it hasn't

spielberg's working on too much shit to actually have time to invest in this

but once he does it probably will be confirmed

and then i will throw an epic party to coincide with the release

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know you guys are all excited for that idea. But I think it would be a weird movie

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think if they made Taken, just with Neeson playing Lincoln searching for his kidnapped son and at the end the kidnapper's are led by Booth's brother, it would be fantastic.

Langly on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

One day I got a call from my dad:

Dad: I just watched this really nice movie. It has Liam Neeson in it and he goes to France and...
    Me: You mean the movie Taken?
    Dad: Yeah. Such a beautiful movie about what a father would do for his daughter
    Me: Remember that time you skipped my college graduation because you didn't want to make the 2 hour drive?
    Dad: What?

So Taken is a great movie for dads who have favor their daughters.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy shit.

Who was that at the end?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    if you mean the armor thing it's Destroyer, a magically animated set of armor that Loki uses.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Holy shit.

Who was that at the end?
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    The Destroyer is an Asgardian weapon of mass destruction created by Odin.

It's a mystically animated suit of armour forged from Uru metal, the same stuff Thor's indestructible hammer is made of, and enchanted up to wazoo with all manner of things. It's main weapon is a beam of destructive force it can fire when its faceplate is opened, and it has the ability to disintegrate essentially anything in existence.

It's got about a thousand more weapons built in, each one only marginally less destructive and easily capable of vaporizing an entire city.

Also, it's invulnerable and stronger than basically anything in existence.

I don't think it's ever been beaten by force, except by the Celestials, and it repaired itself after that even when they melted it down into slag. The only way to stop it without Celestials is to stop the person whose mind is animating the thing.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Destroyer makes the Juggernaut look like an angry toddler throwing a tantrum

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    oh fine GG just one up me with your Spectre card.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, why would you even make something like that?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hope it doesn't kill the S.H.I.E.L.D guy, he's cool.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thor is going to surprise everyone, I can feel it.

I can remember the amount of "this is dumb" comments the first Iron Man trailer got.

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hope it doesn't kill the S.H.I.E.L.D guy, he's cool.

he's in the Avengers, so I'm thinking he'll be alright.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I wasn't feeling the aesthetic they were going for when I saw it in pictures, but in motion I love it.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know the whole Thor thing is only losely based on norse myth but still, I don't like the look of Asgard. Too clean, too... elven. It just doesn't look like something a viking would come up with.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    JAK wrote: »

I can remember the amount of "this is dumb" comments the first Iron Man trailer got.

Man, I didn't hear anybody call the Iron Man trailer dumb.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    but nowhere is it claimed that vikings came up with it

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    I know the whole Thor thing is only losely based on norse myth but still, I don't like the look of Asgard. Too clean, too... elven. It just doesn't look like something a viking would come up with.

Because they're not Vikings.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They are not vikings.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

someone posted the first Iron Man threads and people were saying all sorts of nays, but I can't remember if it was about the trailer or not.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I know but who wouldn't associate Thor/Odin/Asgard and so forth with vikings?

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    guys

guys

the thor movie doesn't have vikings in it

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well that's just like making a film about Jesus and not setting it in America.

Crazy.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Zeus isn't a Greek.

He's a Greek God.

Langly on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the only thing i didn't like about the trailer was the steampunk

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He fucked Greeks though.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

yeah really who called the first iron man trailer dumb?

i thought it looked awesome

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I know but who wouldn't associate Thor/Odin/Asgard and so forth with vikings?

People who don't know anything about Vikings, I guess.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Zeus isn't a Greek.

He's a Greek God.

See, I get your point, but unless you subscribe to the StarGate/Chariot of the Gods version of mythology, I really think a story based on a mythos should be influenced by the society that came up with that mythos in some way. It doesn't have to be a big thing - no need to have Odin living in a wooden hut - but I'd like to see some familiarity.

For instance, apparently the floor of Odin's hall in this film is engraved with Norse designs. I approve of this. It's subtle but it's there for you to see the link. What I'd like to see is more of that kind of thing.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm really no expert on comics but aren't other myth-inspired heroes and places like Hercules/Olympus pretty clearly based on their specific culture?

I dunno, it's not a big gripe. I just imagine norse mythology to be much more martial and gritty (Yea I know lol grimdark etc).

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You guys are assuming quite a lot about the place from one pan over shot and Odin talking.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    well and this is even nerdier in comparison, but the Norse pantheon featured in Marvel are really supposed to be kind of space alien things so it really is like Star Gate, in that they're not really deities.

Man it is really complex but like the Norse pantheon in Marvel are hinted at not being deities while the Greek ones are but sometimes like with ragnorok and stuff they are more like gods so

comics, mang.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    well and this is even nerdier in comparison, but the Norse pantheon featured in Marvel are really supposed to be kind of space alien things so it really is like Star Gate, in that they're not really deities.

I just what.

Okay that explains things a bit I guess.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well JMS changed them into actual Norse gods with his run, or was that someone else

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They're advanced beings whose technology is basically indistinguishable from magic to puny mortals like us.

Grey Ghost on