Options

[Starcraft 2] Single Player/Custom Map discussions *Use spoiler tags!*

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, anyone know about how long the single player is going to be?

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a total of *edit* 30 missions, and it's expected that the player will take at least 20-60 hours to complete the campaign (according to the StarCraft wiki)

Prisca on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Prisca wrote: »
    There's a total of 29 missions, and it's expected that the player will take at least 20-60 hours to complete the campaign (according to the StarCraft wiki)

20-60? That's a huge range, especially for an RTS.

edit: thinking on it, the low end is just under 45 minutes per mission, while the high end is roughly 2 hours per. I guess that's fair.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Exactly, I find it difficult to believe as well.
    About 30 missions will be included when StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is released but the with Story Mode choices, you can expect each player to find their own way to the end, and not necessarily completing all 30 missions. Rob Pardo told us there would be about 30-60 hours worth of gameplay if the player is a "completionist", and perhaps 20 hours gameplay for someone with "world speed". Each mission will take about 30-60 minutes to complete.

http://www.incgamers.com/Previews/100/StarCraftIIHands-On/2

Prisca on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm down with 20 hours. Tired of these 6 hour games.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

May I recommend Dragon Age: Origins? One playthrough took me 120 hours. And I didn't do everything.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

May I recommend Dragon Age: Origins? One playthrough took me 120 hours. And I didn't do everything.

Dude, I did 3 playthroughs on that game. Don't know my total time but it's probably comparable.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait. The USB keychain lights up?

Well there goes my idea of replacing the 1GB with something bigger.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's only 1 Gig? That's depressing; I may have to see about performing surgery and getting one of my 8s into that chassis.

Tamin on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I did a pretty complete playthrough, including all DLC, and it took me just under 50 hours. What the fuck did you do for the other 70 hours?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't see how a single playthrough could take 60 hours (!?!?), but I see a lot of replayability value due to the huge amount of customization in the units/upgrades/mercs etc I'm probably going to go through the campaign at least twice with a completely different army composition.

mEEksa on
  • Options
    CBG BlenderCBG Blender Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I was hoping to play this on my Mac, but I'm not sure I'll be able too....I'm still running Tiger OSX, but from what I could google up, the required system specs say 10.5+ is required. Does anyone know if that is an absolute requirement? I know it was with Steam, which flatout refused to install because of it. It's a decent machine (Macbook Pro) I just haven't upgraded my OS.

CBG Blender on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought the key was 2GB, so it could hold both Starcraft and Brood War.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is anyone else having issues pre-loading sc2 where it gives you an error that the authenticator is wrong and tells you to re-download it after a few hours of it downloading?

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a total of 29 missions, and it's expected that the player will take at least 20-60 hours to complete the campaign (according to the StarCraft wiki)

20-60? That's a huge range, especially for an RTS.

edit: thinking on it, the low end is just under 45 minutes per mission, while the high end is roughly 2 hours per. I guess that's fair.

I would imagine it has something to do with achievements...

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm watching the cinematics on youtube.
    How the hell did a camera person get within shooting distance of Kerrigan?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Damn, you man. Testing my will like that.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Because that image is actually kind of freaky so who cares.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's only 1 Gig? That's depressing; I may have to see about performing surgery and getting one of my 8s into that chassis.

That sounds like a good idea. Let me know how it goes, I might do the same. Hope the case isn't too tight.

subedii on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As a Beta player, I'm actually more excited about starting the single player on Tuesday than the multiplayer. Does anyone else feel the same?

yep. the multiplayer has only been inaccessible for a couple weeks for beta players but the singleplayer is all brand new

plus i'm not really interested in getting my face smashed while everyone and their dog is doing placement matches. i'd rather wait a few weeks till the initial wave is done and my placement can be more accurate.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If anything placements will be easier at the start due to the inflow of newbies.

But I'll probably be playing singleplayer a lot for the first week as well, it's a nice relaxing break from high-stress multiplayer. Although I'm skeptical as to how good it will be, singleplayer has never been anything above mediocre for RTS. Story and cinematic should be worth it though either way.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

I did a pretty complete playthrough, including all DLC, and it took me just under 50 hours. What the fuck did you do for the other 70 hours?

120 is the number of hours Steam thinks I played for. The game won't actually let me play so I don't know how long it actually took me.

I was playing on Nightmare from the beginning, though. For every 2 hours I played, I usually made around an hour of progress - and some days I didn't get anywhere. Between my character being dumb and wandering into impossible fights, it got pretty ridiculous.

Tamin on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who the hell picked tuesdays as the video game release day. beginning of the week is a crappy time for a game to come out. :P

LockeCole on
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    word on the street is that this has unlocked in aus?
    Anyone confirm?

hyperpower on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Who the hell picked tuesdays as the video game release day. beginning of the week is a crappy time for a game to come out. :P

Yay for non-standard work schedules - Tuesday is my Saturday.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hyperpower wrote: »
    Anyone confirm?

It's possible.

It'll be unlocked in about 9 hours in Europe (it should anyway, if it isn't already).

BlackDove on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    As a Beta player, I'm actually more excited about starting the single player on Tuesday than the multiplayer. Does anyone else feel the same?

yep. the multiplayer has only been inaccessible for a couple weeks for beta players but the singleplayer is all brand new

plus i'm not really interested in getting my face smashed while everyone and their dog is doing placement matches. i'd rather wait a few weeks till the initial wave is done and my placement can be more accurate.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »
    If anything placements will be easier at the start due to the inflow of newbies.

But I'll probably be playing singleplayer a lot for the first week as well, it's a nice relaxing break from high-stress multiplayer. Although I'm skeptical as to how good it will be, singleplayer has never been anything above mediocre for RTS. Story and cinematic should be worth it though either way.

Precisely. I'd rather not place more highly than I should.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm excited for single player. Granted I've already played like half of the missions, so we'll see how fast I get through them this time :D (that damn drill one is going to take forever regardless though I'm sure)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'm excited for single player. Granted I've already played like half of the missions, so we'll see how fast I get through them this time :D (that damn drill one is going to take forever regardless though I'm sure)

What? o_O

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

What? o_O

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sitting at work with the collectors edition on my desk. Why won't the time pass faster?! Although i realise it's probably not going to be unlocked till much later, i just want to get home and play with the CE stuff (and i usually convince myself that they'll probably unlock it before midnight anyway).

Lly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just for clarification, Warlock82, are you a Blizzard employee : P? (one of the Creative Artists?)

I also can't believe that it's Monday already, tomorrow's the day!

Prisca on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just for clarification, Warlock82, you're a Blizzard employee : P? (one of the Creative Artists?)

I also can't believe that it's Monday already, tomorrow's the day!

No, I went to that press event. The event was to show off those three missions in particular, but they had pretty much everything before those missions playable except for 2-3 (the "hold out until help arrives while zombies come out at night" mission was not :(). So I played through most of them up to like mission 13 or something.

To be fair, I cheated a little, since I started with a lot of research and mercenaries already (using seige tank mercenaries on the first couple missions is hilariously effective)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    hyperpower wrote: »
    Anyone confirm?

It's possible.

It'll be unlocked in about 9 hours in Europe (it should anyway, if it isn't already).

It's supposedly unlocked in Asia and Australia is part of that BNet region.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So Activision is forcing the pulldown of the cinematic videos. Not that I care that much, but I do wish that someone would remind youtube about 'fair use' once in awhile.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this where we disucss Bunker Wars? Because if so I would like to discuss Bunker Wars.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Except this is StarCraft, and Blizzard RTS's always have pretty awesome single player components with exciting stories.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Except this is StarCraft, and Blizzard RTS's always have pretty awesome single player components with exciting stories.

Yeah, the multiplayer is why people will be playing this game for the next 10 years, but the single player is a big draw for a lot of people.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Like me. Totally uninterested in the online play. Totally excited about the campaign, and then what people come up with in the editor.

Lly on
This discussion has been closed.