As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's on the right side of the negotiating screen.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yeah - the "+" button doesn't work (greyed out), and the "-" button doesn't do anything (it's already at 0). When I hover over the gold pieces, it gives me *my* financial information.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yeah - the "+" button doesn't work (greyed out), and the "-" button doesn't do anything (it's already at 0). When I hover over the gold pieces, it gives me *my* financial information.

That means the evil [Generic Enemy Empire] treasury is empty. They don't have money to give you in a peace treaty (i.e. they do not have 25 gold or more). And there's no 'war reparations' either, so you can't demand X every Y for so many Z, either.

President Rex on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're already in control of all their territories, it usually pays off to wait until the first of January, when the poll tax comes in. This has the added benefit of taking away all their money for the next year, which means they'll automatically take up loans and get saddled with the interest.

As an aside, what's the most anyone has ever taken in pure cash? I once got 1850 ducats off Provence as a one-province country.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »

That means the evil [Generic Enemy Empire] treasury is empty. They don't have money to give you in a peace treaty (i.e. they do not have 25 gold or more). And there's no 'war reparations' either, so you can't demand X every Y for so many Z, either.

Well, crap.

They were offering me money a few moments ago, but I turned them down because they weren't offering enough. Now I can't demand any!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Now they've spent it to finance a mighty army to destroy you.

...Or they're running out of proper income because you've stolen all of their territories and they had to use it because their budget is so negative.

I got 400 ducats from Castille in our peace treaty (that freed Navarra), but I think the most I've seen from any peace deal is around 800. If the country you're attacking has a nation you can potentially free or you can vassalize them I would opt for that. It doesn't necessarily make us obscenely powerful by ourselves (although having 12 vassals swarm someone can be quite effective), but vassals will also give you a decent portion of their tax income (...that doesn't actually come from their coffers ...so it's like printing money).

President Rex on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arang wrote: »
    If you're already in control of all their territories, it usually pays off to wait until the first of January, when the poll tax comes in. This has the added benefit of taking away all their money for the next year, which means they'll automatically take up loans and get saddled with the interest.

As an aside, what's the most anyone has ever taken in pure cash? I once got 1850 ducats off Provence as a one-province country.

I think I got 1500 off of the Inca in 2-3 consecutive wars. They're loaded.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, all the natives have a bunch of gold mines and no tech so nothing to buy with the money they're making. By the time you get over there you can finance like... universities in every province with them.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I wasn't getting messages from this thread buy I am _very_ offended I didn't get added to the play list out of the pure love and joy of having me around. Please add me to the list. Also, I vote for:
    Church Attendance Duty
    Divine Supremacy
    Divine Supremacy

Which means we have two votes for attendance duty now. Bunch of humanists all of you. For all your noble ideals that way leads to Hitler, Mao, and Stalin.

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Federal regulations require me to warn you that this succession list is... looking pretty good.

1. Elvenshae
    2. Zedar
    3. FarseerBaradas
    4. starkiller
    5. shalmelo
    6. shuss
    7. Lachrymite (post 5/20)

(unless starkiller wants to bump himself up the list for all sorts of über playtesting)

I'll also point out that

Hearts of Iron 2: Complete and Arsenal of Democracy are on sale on Steam
    For $4.49 each.

I'm not entirely sure which one we'll use when we get there (I would prefer AOD, but it is not as widespread as HOI2), but if you don't own either of them - BUY ONE. You cannot go wrong at $4.49. I guess - if you're weird - HOI3 is also on sale for $5.99, too.

President Rex on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Which Victoria are we using? Have we decided this?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nice - I'll have to pick those up.

So, I've lost an almost-entire year twice now; for some reason, my game keeps crashing right around the end of October (autosaves in Jan, unfortunately). I thought it was a random crash last night when it happened, but then it happened again this evening at about the same point in the year, so maybe it isn't. Once I make it most of the way through this year again (158 ... 7?) I'll save and see if I can lock-down what's happening.

The worst part is that I've got a bunch of screenshots that I need to go through one-by-one and delete because they're part of some weird alternate history.

I've managed to re-fix our economy after messing it up through ignorance. :D (Did you know you can't repay a loan early? Nope - you're stuck with it for the term.)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I would guess Victoria I with Revolutions (to help avoid dealing with Victoria II mods and the V2's currently imbalanced economic and POP models). I have both (and since I assume I'll be doing a bunch of the mod-related work there as well), so whichever people prefer would work (although I have not modded anything in Vicky2 ...I would guess it is similar to EU3; Vicky1 is a lot like HOI2, which I've also modded fairly extensively).

Also you can send me the save and I can potentially see if there's some random mod problem or if it's just a random-ish EU3 crash (although aside from sometimes crashing at exit, vanilla EU3 is fairly stable).

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Victoria with Revolutions was my initial plan.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Let's say you've just kicked the everloving crap out of Portugal* ...
    Portugal.gif

... because you wanted a port that was a little closer to the new world.

Why can't I take Porto from them? My WS is 100%.

* Enabled because you're the only one in the whole world with cannon.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can't take someones capital province from them unless you meet a couple other conditions or it's their only province.

Either the capital has to be completely unconnected to the rest of the country, or they only have one other province.

Portugal doesn't meet any of those, so I'd just vassalize them and hope to diplo annex later.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know what, I'll take a turn if you need me to. The succession should put me way into the 1700s, and I've never played past 1600, but what's the worst that could happen?

No, don't answer that. You'll see soon enough.

e: I also bought HoI2 and AoD because of peer pressure, so I can take a turn on those, presuming I can install it and figure out how to actually play the game before we get there. Hopefully it's less mindbreaking than HoI3, where I think I was the first person ever to lose a war to Poland, playing as Germany.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Guess who's got two thumbs and finally bothered to make his computer gaming compatible again?

<---- This guy

Long succession list gets longer.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I started up a game with the mod with Svaeland, which is fairly interesting, and I'll have Sweden reformed pretty soon here. But more interesting to me is that Scotland actually kicked the shit out of England to the point that Wales and Iceland and merrily sending armies wandering about the English countryside.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Scotland is actually on pretty even terms with England in the mod. I'm not entirely sure how they got steamrolled so easily. Probably because England attacked them when they attacked Northumberland, but in most cases Scotland doesn't get cheap-shotted like that. Inverness and Scotland are the only two options for forming the Scottish Union, though, so we're pretty much bound to have a Great Britain.

Of course ...if someone wanted to restore the tenuous Frankish-Scottish alliance and force England to release a Scottish vassal there'd be no complaints over here.

I'm also not sure how long the sale lasts but AOD, HOI2 and HOI3 are still on sale.

President Rex on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    AOD get!

Plus, more importantly, I've installed the Carolingian mod and everything appears to work OK. Started a game with Sardinia and played around a bit (although I did get a weird CTD a few months in, but I think that had something to do with a system scan that automatically started while I was playing)

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Managed to reform Sweden in 1482. Would have been faster, but Denmark conquered half of northern Germany and allied with Finland and Norway and guaranteed Gotland which made taking Vasterbotten, Skate, or Gotland difficult. Finally said screw it and used Press Gangs to build a big enough fleet to prevent their troops from moving and blockade everything but Hamburg, which basically collapsed them.

Speaking of, when Karelia goes, wow.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And so, this evening, after nearly 30 years of reign, King Louis the V of Vermandois is dead.

Zedar, PM me with where you want me to send you the save. I think you're in an okay spot ... :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man, that's some good genes in the Vermandois family. When did that happen?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Law of averages surely means I'll get two months before dying and leaving a regency council for my 1 month old daughter.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'll have an updated version up in a little bit for you to use that fixes at least one bug we may encounter in the future.

[edit] And here it is. ebum also found a misplaced core for Sweden that they still have on Gotland. So if you're good with editing saves you may want to remvoed SWE's core on 25 (Gotland). Otherwise, don't worry about it, it probably won't come up.[/edit]

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In the continued game I'm playing, Scotland is about to form the Scottish Union in 1549 and I'm going to turn Svaeland -> Sweden -> Scandinavia in 1587. Not too shabby, trying to decide what to do now. Contemplating trying to conquer the entire Baltic.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Occitania seems to have a ...difficult time forming

Even in the save I've viewed Aquitaine (the best candidate) seem to have dropped quite a few rungs from Phyphor's "almost forming Occitania" position. Zenata should keep Egypt in check, but if they don't then the Egyptians like to mess with Makuria to the south and then head back for their ancestral French homelands (and the quickest route is right to Toulouse and southern France).

I'm actually fairly impressed with what Zenata has managed to accomplish in the save. they're actually eating away at Byzantium in Anatolia like they should (far better than the "collapse into rebels and become Persian/Timurid" that happened in early testing). Now if they manage to become a replacement for the Ottoman Empire and worm their way into Europe then I'll be really impressed.

Still not much in the way of a powerful German state either. Bavaria is "largest" (at like 5 provinces), but they're shackled to Bohemia. Austria is doing decent, but heading a bit more Southward than German-ward. And Brandenburg is interesting, but pretty doomed (they're still in the dynasty shared with Scotland, but have lost eastern lands to Poland).

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Occitania seems to have a ...difficult time forming

Even in the save I've viewed Aquitaine (the best candidate) seem to have dropped quite a few rungs from Phyphor's "almost forming Occitania" position. Zenata should keep Egypt in check, but if they don't then the Egyptians like to mess with Makuria to the south and then head back for their ancestral French homelands (and the quickest route is right to Toulouse and southern France).

Yep.

At the end point of my game (posts incoming soonish), Aquitaine done blowed up.

They've spllit into a half-a-dozen small, one-to-three province states, and had sections eaten by Leon and Navarra.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My Aquitaine is doing pretty well, just beat up the previously ascendant Dauphine. Austria is a terror as HRE and keeps bashing back all of the Vermandois attempts to move east into Germany. And scaring me from invading Pommerania as they've got twice my land forces. Could never take any of my provinces because of my fleet, but still. A couple other German states are doing fairly nicely, notably Bavaria which just annexed the Palatinate and has most of southern modern Germany. My Zenata has totally collapsed, as has Egypt. The Byzantines are building a pretty impressive empire in the area, with the Murabitids taking most of the former Persian lands.

Leon is the only one with QftNW though and that's concerning me. I think most people are just short of the fourth idea, so hopefully that will change soon.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Byzantines always grow big. The AI takes QftNW 4th or later. I've never seen Austria as HRE, usually Bohemia or Brandenburg.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What, we don't get a final update?

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    BTW, I kind of _like_ Vicky II, though I admit to not playing it much. What are these problems you speak of?

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So Scotland did form the Scottish Union. And then almost immediately formed Great Britain. Probably not the intended way for that to work. :P

Nearing 1600 and things are getting a bit blobby. Vermandois finally lost its first war, against uberBohemia Sandwiched between the two of them is the increasingly powerful Bavaria, which actually beat me in a war a little bit because I was rushing to take enough of Magdeburg to get Lubeck finally. I mean, I only had to give them 25 ducats so they'd go away, but still!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, I'm guessing that at least the "x country formed" announcements are working, then :P . Yeah, just checked it; SCO and INV can't form GBR, but apparently I forgot to block SCU. Not that Scotland has much of a chance of doing anything in the LP, but I can just start the list for v1.03.

Vicky II has quite a few problems with how pops work and rebellions are a bit more frequent than they really should be (particularly for non-democracies). But I also haven't played Vicky II much, so most of my information is second hand.

[edit]Although, to be fair: since the game will probably end up pretty heavily modded anyway those problems could be fixed in mod-making process[/edit]

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh right, the Netherlands formed with only province. I don't know that event very well, but is that possible? I think it was Holland proper they have.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    To "form" the Netherlands a country needs Zeeland, Holland, Utrecht and Friesland. But the game (even default EU3) starts with Netherlands cores on both the Belgian and Dutch Netherlands, so it's easily possible for someone to release the country.

I also added in a "Form Danish Nation" event (essentially for Scania, Slesvig and Jutland), but it seems like the Danish island holdings do a decent job reconquering Denmark on their own (aside from the lands in Scania, anyway).

I'm also hoping someone manages to come out on top in Spain (or they reconcile their politics and unite via personal unions, which Castile and Aragon's missions try to do (in the mod León also gets them). If not for the sake of providing a challenging adversary for us, at least to limit the number of countries that need to be made in Vicky.

Italy's also pretty fragmented. Last I saw they're just sort of chilling out as a collection of tiny nation states (though Byzantium had a "Recapture Southern Italy" mission...which I would guess Zenata will interfere with.

And Russia! Ryazan was making some headway towards forming Russia; Karelia seemed to be eeking by with the northlands (and the equivalent of St. Petersburg), but the Cuman and Russian minors still hadn't done much in the way of figuring out who should come out on top.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, that Netherlands formation is bugged. I got the announcement about it and everything and they only had one province.

Denmark definitely does a good job without human interference. I ended up vassalizing them in like 1510, but prior to that they were making serious headway both into Scania and northern Germany.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In my game that I played up until ~1750 before accidentally overwriting the save when installing the new version of the mod (oops!), Spain was completely split with Leon in the south and Galicia in the north, Castille and Aragon long since eaten. I controlled everything in Europe to the west of Ansbach/Konstanz type area, down to Galicia in northern Spain, and most of Italy was controlled by Romagna. Most area east of me was controlled by Bavaria and beyond them Austria, with some Bohemia and Prussia in there as well. Sweden formed and was pretty big. Karelia controlled almost the entirety of Russia and lots of Eastern Europe, pretty huge. British Isles were split between England, Scotland, and Ireland all in a stand off. New World was split pretty evenly between Leon and Scotland, with a decent amount of Aquitaine as well since that's where they retreated to after I kicked them out of Europe.

Lachrymite on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, that Netherlands formation is bugged. I got the announcement about it and everything and they only had one province.

The announcement only goes off of whether the tag is being used by an active country (i.e. one that owns land, not just having cores), so even if someone released them the event would still fire. I could have put in a check for cores to, but didn't think of it at the time, it's just there to let you know when a country manages to form (NED is just special in that the game starts with active NED cores).

I guess I also expected Scotland to do better, because I neglected to include a "Great Britain forms" announcement event.

Also that game sounds like it would have a decently balanced and interesting scenario, Lachrymite. I would hope our LP finds a similar balance. Definitely would be an interesting set-up for Vicky if it stayed similar for another 80 years.

President Rex on