As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] Multiplayer discussion. After 12 long years, it has arrived.

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just picked up two copies during lunch. One is a gift for one of my groomsmen. Now I need to figure out if I can cut out of work early and use some PTO.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You're getting married and just bought SC2? Good luck with that.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was thrilled to find out I could install and patch the game without the code, so once I get off work and grab my copy I should be good to go!

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    redxxiiredxxii Persona Non Grata Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I picked up and started installing the game during my lunch break, but I won't be able to play it until I get home. Just 4 and-a-half hours to go!

redxxii on
    LoL: Handweasel
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Blizzard store is about to get hammered, isn't it?

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes. 30 seconds?

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ezekiel wrote: »
    You're getting married and just bought SC2? Good luck with that.

No, I just got married and have now bought SC2.
    Basically every other game I play is now dead until I get tired of this.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK, I have one, very important question:

Whatever region I choose when purchasing has nothing to do with what game I can activate, right?

I want to get the English (US) version, but it isn't available in my region. I did download and pre-install the US version already.

If I buy a LatAm code, will it work on my downloaded US version? (I really don't care where I play, I have a great connection either way.)

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    Still plan on boycotting, no LAN = no buy.

It seems a lot of people have fallen off that bandwagon.

Or maybe those people are still on that bandwagon and have decided to play other games and wait for other new releases.
    3clipse wrote: »

'kay, enjoy sitting by yourself while the rest of us have fun.

To bad it's 2010, and not 1998, where I'm not limited to a few select games.

I'm boycotting them, because I said I was since the announcement of no LAN.

Also, I won't be sitting by myself, I'll be sitting side by side with friends LANing up games that still support it. :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    no one cares

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drovek wrote: »

it wont let me complete the purchase

i can't say i'm that surprised

xta on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    no one cares

Being the Starcraft II discussion thread, no one has to care... but no one has to voice their opinion that they aren't caring, either.

I see the stance, I see the reason... but in the end, it's not going to impact them or make them put it in. You can't just not buy it and do nothing... Buy the game and enjoy it, but take action with a petition or something. It's still a good/great game that you're doing a disservice to yourself in not playing. LAN or no LAN, you can't say it's a bad game because of it.

Do you not have Internet? What's wrong with playing online? Would that be so terrible to do in the meantime? Games like this aren't really made for LAN's anymore... as the number of computer gamers buying online games just for LAN play is likely an infinitesimal percentage.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Or maybe those people are still on that bandwagon and have decided to play other games and wait for other new releases.

Also, I won't be sitting by myself, I'll be sitting side by side with friends LANing up games that still support it. :P

I guess I just don't understand the point of having LAN games anymore. At one time they were certainly required and a necessary step to further multiplayer play, but now it just seems so outdated.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I havn't played SC1 in about 8ish years. I played the beta once or twice, and was terrible. Would anyone like to get some cooperative games in to get back into the hang of it?

also.. where do we pick the extension, or is it the same from when we did the beta? I can't remember what mine was, and I can't seem to find it. D:

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    xta wrote: »

It told me an error occured, then when I looked at the account it showed the game was active. Might wanna take a second look.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It told me an error occured, then when I looked at the account it showed the game was active. Might wanna take a second look.

or be like me and retry 15 times before it works

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

as long as you understand that none of those games are starcraft 2

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Need some silver-goldish level warmup before diving in, anyone game?

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "For a limited time, you can pick up the collector's edition of StarCraft 2 with free shipping and a $20 discount, bringing its price down to $79.99." -Gamestop, via Joystiq

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fungal growth needs a slight dmg buff.... perhaps even enough to one-shot fungal'd workers.

And infested terrans need to spawn faster once deployed.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel kind of terrible.

Beat this guy in 4min and right after he quits:

'Dude. Come. On. Its my first time.'

'Uh...welcome to starcraft?'

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rivulent wrote: »
    Fungal growth needs a slight dmg buff.... perhaps even enough to one-shot fungal'd workers.

lolwut?

Buff fungal growth, the second best spell in the game?

Sorry, but no. If anything spells need nerfing, including force field, even as a Protoss player I can readily admit this.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, today, I had the best present ever arrive.

My friend got me a gift code for SC2. Before today, I had almost no interest... now, I can't wait to get home and play. :D

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel kind of terrible.

'Uh...welcome to ERF!'

It's like everyone's first time. Quick,terrible to look at and afterwards you feel like the biggest loser ever.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

lolwut?

Sorry, but no. If anything spells need nerfing, including force field, even as a Protoss player I can readily admit this.

I'm really just spouting shit to get the ball rolling on balance convo in this thread. But really, though, infestors need to be cheaper or perhaps - even better - cast everything while burrowed. Make players battling zerg have to get detection, because as it is now it's not a necessity.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    no one cares

Being the Starcraft II discussion thread, no one has to care... but no one has to voice their opinion that they aren't caring, either.

I see the stance, I see the reason... but in the end, it's not going to impact them or make them put it in. You can't just not buy it and do nothing... Buy the game and enjoy it, but take action with a petition or something. It's still a good/great game that you're doing a disservice to yourself in not playing. LAN or no LAN, you can't say it's a bad game because of it.

Do you not have Internet? What's wrong with playing online? Would that be so terrible to do in the meantime? Games like this aren't really made for LAN's anymore... as the number of computer gamers buying online games just for LAN play is likely an infinitesimal percentage.

I haven't once said SC2 is a bad game, I'm just protesting it because it doesn't include features I want.

If all the people who signed the petition (like I have) held out like I'm doing, maybe Blizzard would reconsider.

Why protest animal testing, if at the end of the day you up in arms go buy a product that tests on animals.

I just recently got internet at home. I have no problem with playing games online. I'm not saying I wouldn’t play SC2 online. But I want to be able to LAN up with friends and play this. Not all of the places where we LAN always has internet.

"Games like this aren't really made for LAN's anymore"? You kidding me? Did SC2 turn into a MMO? If it works like SC1 and is only 8 players, it should work perfectly fine as a LAN game.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010

lolwut?

I'm really just spouting shit to get the ball rolling on balance convo in this thread. But really, though, infestors need to be cheaper or perhaps - even better - cast everything while burrowed. Make players battling zerg have to get detection, because as it is now it's not a necessity.

Detection as a while is pretty out of style in SC2. The only time I really panic is if I scout a terran going for banshees.

The last time I saw a DT was... well, when I made a few as a lark because I was getting bored.

I can appreciate wanting to buff one's race but I have to disagree, those little brain balls of your's are very, very powerful. One FG can stop an army in it's tracks and make the difference in any battle involving melee units.

I've also lost expansions to mass ITs and its really annoying. The only way to try and prevent it is to pepper the map with detection at costs far surpassing what you put down for the little bugger.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    no one cares

I haven't once said SC2 is a bad game, I'm just protesting it because it doesn't include features I want.

If all the people who signed the petition (like I have) held out like I'm doing, maybe Blizzard would reconsider.

Why protest animal testing, if at the end of the day you up in arms go buy a product that tests on animals.

I just recently got internet at home. I have no problem with playing games online. I'm not saying I wouldn’t play SC2 online. But I want to be able to LAN up with friends and play this. Not all of the places where we LAN always have internet.

"Games like this aren't really made for LAN's anymore"? You kidding me? Did SC2 turn into a MMO? If it works like SC1 and is only 8 players, it should work perfectly fine as a LAN game.

You can play SC2 with your friends... get online, form groups, and play. Nothing stopping you. You can do this all in the same room, too. You have the means to do so with the Internet.

World of Warcraft didn't let me turn into a T-Rex... but I bought it anyway. I'm not blaming the company, because they can't appease everyone.

The point is it does work "as a LAN game" for your purposes... since you already have the Internet.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DT warps can be pretty crazy if your opponent is weak on detection

Jars on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Please don't do the LAN debate it is horrible

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    no one cares

I just recently got internet at home. I have no problem with playing games online. I'm not saying I wouldn’t play SC2 online. But I want to be able to LAN up with friends and play this. Not all of the places where we LAN always has internet.

I think the better argument is: if you have even reasonably decent broadband, why do you need to LAN at all? The game supports huge battles, just log in to BNet and host it that way.

The only purpose of LAN was to avoid huge bandwidth bottlenecks that really don't exist outside of conference rooms full of nerds. Your average group of friends can still play together perfectly well without having any LAN functionality whatsoever.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jars wrote: »

Even if they have detection, peppering a few in with your zealots and stalkers is a good time.

vjshoom, vjshoom

Neurotika on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did someone just compare animal testing to LAN? How about you go to a thread where you own or intend to own the game. This thread is for talking about how fantastic banshee rushes are.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally got home from EB, installing now, woo!

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    On the LAN thing. I remember everyone saying, "It's so pointless to have the server checks" etc. because the community would crack it pretty much immediately and then only the legit players would be penalized. I don't want to be directed to it or anything, but have they actually accomplished that yet? I'm curious whether Blizzard's battle.net requirement will actually hold.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jars wrote: »

Nowadays they can be, definitely. Mostly because of the fact that they are so uncommon and thus unexpected.

If you devote your resources to one anywhere before mid-late in the game you're putting yourself out on a huge limb as DTs are so freaking expensive and vulnerable at the same time.

I had a lot of success in the beta mixing 1-3 DTs in with what appears to be a perfectly average sized T1 army. Only the best players notice the difference in damage output and even then its sometimes too late to turn the wave of momentum.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

or be like me and retry 15 times before it works

woot, i got it after 10? tries. good thing is that you can only have 1 copy of it per region, so bnet cant charge me for like 5 copies of sc2

I feel kind of terrible.

'Uh...welcome to starcraft?'

no pity whatsoever, i'm sure i'll get my arse stomped by most ppl on bnet, but that's how you learn. you get whopped on and then you play better over time

xta on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

lolwut?

Some autocast baneling landmines and bit of roach harassment can make any opponent regret a lack of detection against zerg.

I find sneaking DTs into my army late game as P works pretty well. If you build straight for them they're easy to counter, but if you mix 1-3 in with your regular forces your opponent often won't realize they're present until they've already done some substantial damage. "Haha I have cloaked dudes in yer base killin' yer dudes gg" is a gimmick strategy that relies on your opponent scouting poorly.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that's why you put your dark shrine in a distant corner of the map

Jars on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    no one cares

I just recently got internet at home. I have no problem with playing games online. I'm not saying I wouldn’t play SC2 online. But I want to be able to LAN up with friends and play this. Not all of the places where we LAN always have internet.

You can play SC2 with your friends... get online, form groups, and play. Nothing stopping you. You can do this all in the same room, too. You have the means to do so with the Internet.

World of Warcraft didn't let me turn into a T-Rex... but I bought it anyway. I'm not blaming the company, because they can't appease everyone.

The point is it does work "as a LAN game" for your purposes... since you already have the Internet.

I only recently got internet. But like I said, sometimes where we LAN doesn't have internet.

Also, they didn't take LAN OUT to appease anyone but themselves. They took it out, because they couldn't shove the new B.net down everyone’s pie hole if there was a LAN option. To "prevent piracy".

Anyways, I'm not just some troll. You all don't know how hard it is for me to protest game. StarCraft is the game that brought me to PC gaming, I still have all 3 of my SC action figures in their original boxes and still have my original SC collectors boxes (Zerg and Toss). But over the years, the most play I've gotten out of the game was over LAN with friends.

If one day LAN gets added in, I will be all over this.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.