Options

[Starcraft 2] Multiplayer discussion. After 12 long years, it has arrived.

• Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK take back what I said. Just let infestors cast FG while burrowed.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    _Debaser__Debaser_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have played ten games so far. In every single game, my opponent was a zerg player. And 80% of the time, they 6-8 pooled. :?

_Debaser_ on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    US shows ~1,000,000 players on right now

there are probably way more than 1M on sc2 right now

xta on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    _Debaser_ wrote: »
    I have played ten games so far. In every single game, my opponent was a zerg player. And 80% of the time, they 6-8 pooled. :?

What does this mean?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, they didn't take LAN OUT to appease anyone but themselves. They took it out, because they couldn't shove the new B.net down everyone’s pie hole if there was a LAN option. To "prevent piracy".

Anyways, I'm not just some troll. You all don't know how hard it is for me to protest game. StarCraft is the game that brought me to PC gaming, I still have all 3 of my SC action figures in their original boxes and still have my original SC collectors boxes (Zerg and Toss). But over the years, the most play I've gotten out of the game was over LAN with friends.

If one day LAN gets added in, I will be all over this.

No man, I agree that's why they took it out. Not going to debate that at all.

Yeah I didn't read the internet part. I figure they don't expect much backlash because most of the people that follow them and their games are extremely likely to be internet users. This is one reason I pretty much hate Steam... the offline/LAN modes are terrible. Back in the day, not all big LAN parties (200-300+ people) had internet access... so if you didn't get into Offline mode before you left home, you were screwed because Steam wouldn't allow you to play.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

What does this mean?

80 percent of the time, it works every time.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got comped a standard edition yesterday, letting me use the 7 hour trial to play last night before my CE arrives today. I've got to say the 7 hour trial is a pretty classy thing to include... and you get two. Nice.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

What does this mean?

It means they build either no drones at all to start, or only 2 before building a spawning pool. This is very short and is considered an all in build, because the zerg's resource collection will suck because they didnt build enough drones to start.

As the opponent it means you will be attacked with 6 zerglings very quick.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

What does this mean?

Made a spawning pool when they had 6-8 food count (number in the upper right corner) worth of drones.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

What does this mean?

It means everyone is trying to use the huge influx of noobs to rush their win/loss ratio up

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Should I uninstall the beta before installing the new hotness?

Neurotika on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    no one cares

Being the Starcraft II discussion thread, no one has to care... but no one has to voice their opinion that they aren't caring, either.
    Still plan on boycotting, no LAN = no buy.

I see the stance, I see the reason... but in the end, it's not going to impact them or make them put it in. You can't just not buy it and do nothing... Buy the game and enjoy it, but take action with a petition or something. It's still a good/great game that you're doing a disservice to yourself in not playing. LAN or no LAN, you can't say it's a bad game because of it.

Do you not have Internet? What's wrong with playing online? Would that be so terrible to do in the meantime? Games like this aren't really made for LAN's anymore... as the number of computer gamers buying online games just for LAN play is likely an infinitesimal percentage.

I haven't once said SC2 is a bad game, I'm just protesting it because it doesn't include features I want.

If all the people who signed the petition (like I have) held out like I'm doing, maybe Blizzard would reconsider.

Why protest animal testing, if at the end of the day you up in arms go buy a product that tests on animals.

I just recently got internet at home. I have no problem with playing games online. I'm not saying I wouldn’t play SC2 online. But I want to be able to LAN up with friends and play this. Not all of the places where we LAN always have internet.
    "Games like this aren't really made for LAN's anymore"? You kidding me? Did SC2 turn into a MMO? If it works like SC1 and is only 8 players, it should work perfectly fine as a LAN game.

You can play SC2 with your friends... get online, form groups, and play. Nothing stopping you. You can do this all in the same room, too. You have the means to do so with the Internet.

World of Warcraft didn't let me turn into a T-Rex... but I bought it anyway. I'm not blaming the company, because they can't appease everyone.

The point is it does work "as a LAN game" for your purposes... since you already have the Internet.
    I only recently got internet. But like I said, sometimes where we LAN doesn't have internet.

Also, they didn't take LAN OUT to appease anyone but themselves. They took it out, because they couldn't shove the new B.net down everyone’s pie hole if there was a LAN option. To "prevent piracy".

Anyways, I'm not just some troll. You all don't know how hard it is for me to protest game. StarCraft is the game that brought me to PC gaming, I still have all 3 of my SC action figures in their original boxes and still have my original SC collectors boxes (Zerg and Toss). But over the years, the most play I've gotten out of the game was over LAN with friends.

I agree with you, but while I won't boycott SC2, the game still dropped in value immensely for me. I'm waiting for either Blizzard to put LAN in, or the game to drop in price . The worst thing about this is the fact that it means Diablo 3 won't have LAN either.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ForceVoid wrote: »

No. You're good to go if you had the beta installed.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »

No. You're good to go if you had the beta installed.

You sure? The beta client didn't patch up like the official client. Nor did it have the opening cinematic and whatnot

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who won the king of the beta tournament? I didn't have the fortitude to watch all the lame stuff they were playing early on in the evening and then I went to sleep so I missed it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just went to the local BB and got this. I knew this game was a big deal, but it was pretty mind opening to get out of the car and watch two different unrelated people walk out with the game and the free poster before I even get to the door.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Who won the king of the beta tournament? I didn't have the fortitude to watch all the lame stuff they were playing early on in the evening and then I went to sleep so I missed it.
    idra, shockingly. Apparently qxc played off, and idra went gosu in the finals. Malnourished tiny men of world, unite!

Rivulent on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So has the game changed since Patch 18 of the beta? I assume it has but have not found any info on it, the beta patch notes page doesn't seem like its being updated anymore. Is there a release version for patch notes?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you really want LAN in the game you should blog about it

and not post here

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I ordered my copy from gamestop the day they started giving out beta codes, doesn't come in until tomorrow. If I go to Bestbuy and get a copy today, could I return the one I get in the mail to a gamestop store/ the BestBuy for a refund you think?

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone using the digital installation having serious issues with queue times? I'm planning on activating this when I get home and wondering what to expect.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    alset85 wrote: »
    no one cares

Being the Starcraft II discussion thread, no one has to care... but no one has to voice their opinion that they aren't caring, either.

I see the stance, I see the reason... but in the end, it's not going to impact them or make them put it in. You can't just not buy it and do nothing... Buy the game and enjoy it, but take action with a petition or something. It's still a good/great game that you're doing a disservice to yourself in not playing. LAN or no LAN, you can't say it's a bad game because of it.

Do you not have Internet? What's wrong with playing online? Would that be so terrible to do in the meantime? Games like this aren't really made for LAN's anymore... as the number of computer gamers buying online games just for LAN play is likely an infinitesimal percentage.

I haven't once said SC2 is a bad game, I'm just protesting it because it doesn't include features I want.

If all the people who signed the petition (like I have) held out like I'm doing, maybe Blizzard would reconsider.

Why protest animal testing, if at the end of the day you up in arms go buy a product that tests on animals.

I just recently got internet at home. I have no problem with playing games online. I'm not saying I wouldn’t play SC2 online. But I want to be able to LAN up with friends and play this. Not all of the places where we LAN always have internet.
    "Games like this aren't really made for LAN's anymore"? You kidding me? Did SC2 turn into a MMO? If it works like SC1 and is only 8 players, it should work perfectly fine as a LAN game.

You can play SC2 with your friends... get online, form groups, and play. Nothing stopping you. You can do this all in the same room, too. You have the means to do so with the Internet.

World of Warcraft didn't let me turn into a T-Rex... but I bought it anyway. I'm not blaming the company, because they can't appease everyone.

The point is it does work "as a LAN game" for your purposes... since you already have the Internet.
    I only recently got internet. But like I said, sometimes where we LAN doesn't have internet.

I agree with you, but while I won't boycott SC2, the game still dropped in value immensely for me. I'm waiting for either Blizzard to put LAN in, or the game to drop in price . The worst thing about this is the fact that it means Diablo 3 won't have LAN either.

Yea, if and when the game drops in price, I'll probably bite. But until then, pitch forks and torches unit! :P

As for Diablo 3, oh god, I won't go there. :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    VicWhiten wrote: »
    I ordered my copy from gamestop the day they started giving out beta codes, doesn't come in until tomorrow. If I go to Bestbuy and get a copy today, could I return the one I get in the mail to a gamestop store/ the BestBuy for a refund you think?

I had a friend try to do that once. They would not accept the game he had bought online at the store.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I had a friend try to do that once. They would not accept the game he had bought online at the store.

Boo, guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to play.

a whole day

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Boo, guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to play.

a whole day

Take it to Walmart, they take just about anything back.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rivulent wrote: »
    Rivulent wrote: »
    Fungal growth needs a slight dmg buff.... perhaps even enough to one-shot fungal'd workers.

And infested terrans need to spawn faster once deployed.

lolwut?

Buff fungal growth, the second best spell in the game?

Sorry, but no. If anything spells need nerfing, including force field, even as a Protoss player I can readily admit this.

I'm really just spouting shit to get the ball rolling on balance convo in this thread. But really, though, infestors need to be cheaper or perhaps - even better - cast everything while burrowed. Make players battling zerg have to get detection, because as it is now it's not a necessity.

Some autocast baneling landmines and bit of roach harassment can make any opponent regret a lack of detection against zerg.

I find sneaking DTs into my army late game as P works pretty well. If you build straight for them they're easy to counter, but if you mix 1-3 in with your regular forces your opponent often won't realize they're present until they've already done some substantial damage. "Haha I have cloaked dudes in yer base killin' yer dudes gg" is a gimmick strategy that relies on your opponent scouting poorly.

speaking of fungal, for a spell that's supposedly so good, no one actually seems to use it.

i dont think i saw it used even once by dimaga or idra in the king of the beta. i missed the finals though so if idra used it then, good for him.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goliath Online

Ok, I think there aren't any Goliaths anymore, but whatever, I liked that...

So, is there any way to customize your "Gamer Card"? Is it automatic or what?

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    chiablochiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    no one cares

Yea, if and when the game drops in price, I'll probably bite. But until then, pitch forks and torches unit! :P

I'm still baffled as to why a lack of LAN support is even relevant in today's society. Is the place you're setting up the LAN not have internet access? As long as everyone who is playing has a legal copy and you are connected to the internet... VIOLA, you have the equivalent to a LAN.

In every LAN party I've gone to in the last 5 years, we set up a computer to be a dedicated server for games, we password protect it and publish it on the internet list. This way people who are stuck at home can still connect and we can play with both LAN players and internet players.

Complaining that a game doesn't have LAN support is like complaining about your car not having a sunroof. You still have working windows, just roll them down!

chiablo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArgraxArgrax Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel kind of terrible.

Beat this guy in 4min and right after he quits:

'Dude. Come. On. Its my first time.'

'Uh...welcome to starcraft?'
    Yeah, that is terrible; seriously.

Argrax on
    SC2: Argrax.751
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Where the shit is Trus? I need you.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A simple "kekekeke I GIVE SOJ" response would scare him off B.net forever.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Played 5 quick 3v3 randoms to warm up...these people are sooooo bad. Plat 3v3 lol. Team ranks are funny.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    chiablo wrote: »
    Complaining that a game doesn't have LAN support is like complaining about your car not having a sunroof. You still have working windows, just roll them down!

I'd say it's more like complaining that your car doesn't have an 8-track player.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm here

Trus.428

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    ArgraxArgrax Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    no one cares

What's so nefarious about them wanting to prevent piracy of their game?

Argrax on
    SC2: Argrax.751
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    chiablo wrote: »
    no one cares

I'm still baffled as to why a lack of LAN support is even relevant in today's society. Is the place you're setting up the LAN not have internet access? As long as everyone who is playing has a legal copy and you are connected to the internet... VIOLA, you have the equivalent to a LAN.

In every LAN party I've gone to in the last 5 years, we set up a computer to be a dedicated server for games, we password protect it and publish it on the internet list. This way people who are stuck at home can still connect and we can play with both LAN players and internet players.

Yes, some places we LAN have no internet. D:

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Trus wrote: »

I'm here

Trus.428

Yum

Deca.728

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Argrax wrote: »
    no one cares

There are other ways to do that rather than cutting LAN?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There are other ways to do that rather than cutting LAN?

Then you get into "Phone-home DRM", which people also bitch about.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Argrax wrote: »

This won't prevent anything. SC2 will get pirated by the shitloads and they will still sell by the shitloads. When has piracy hurt Blizzard's numbers of all companies? And anyway this will only hurt legitimate customers who don't have stable internet. Not everyone lives in the west.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
This discussion has been closed.