As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Ruler] Indie 4x game of greatness? Signs point to yes.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    johnwing wrote: »
    Anyone has any experience with Gamersgate? Is it more like steam or more like D2D? I don't like that I got only 6 month in which i can download the game like D2D.

While I am unfamiliar with Gamersgate, I know that their is no time limit for D2D. Hell, I just recently re-downloaded a game from D2D that I bought back in '05.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    Anyone has any experience with Gamersgate? Is it more like steam or more like D2D? I don't like that I got only 6 month in which i can download the game like D2D.

While I am unfamiliar with Gamersgate, I know that their is no time limit for D2D. Hell, I just recently re-downloaded a game from D2D that I bought back in '05.

Than i must be misinformed. It must been another downloader I'm thinking off. I'm interested in the game and want to support it.

johnwing on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shojin wrote: »
    Yea, but why would you want to do that anyway?
    Oh, I can think of a reason or two.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    About the ships you can build, will it be possible to build ships that pull in asteroids and fire them at the enemy?

Because i'm thinking, make those ships pretty big
    Then you have a star cannon

101 on
  • Options
    FirgofFirgof Blind Mind Studios - Co-lead Developer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Then you have a star cannon
    Unfortunately, this is not possible. :(

Firgof on
    Co-Lead Developer, Blind Mind Studios
    Click here to visit our thread on Penny-Arcade
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When is release?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preordered this yesterday

Hope you sell a zillion copies, Firgof

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Release is in 10 days: Aug 21st

Thanks, M.R.

Firgof on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aight, so I know we only have 10 days before release.

I also know that you have to sell like 32000 copies (or whatever) so you and your family can resume eating daily.

I know you're trying to get it on other retailers, and I also know that you're under an NDA so that you can't mention names or disclose too much.

But what I'm wondering is: Will it be available on other retailers in the next little while? Am I really being a huge douchebag for refusing to sign up with another retailer? And by waiting, will I be a douchebag for a long time?

I need to buy this before September comes along and Civ5 consumes my life.

Also, who can we send emails to (if anyone) requesting something be available on steam?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This game looks absurd. Galaxy ships? Star-splosions? Gun ships with guns that are ship guns?

I especially like the ideas being mentioned that are yet to be in the game, like planetary invasion. I always had this vision of a game that pretty much boiled down to Sins of a Solar Empire galactic battles with Supreme Commander planetary invasions, linked together like land and space battles in Empire at War (except not totally awful, like EaW's land battles).

I think it was answered already, with the talk about attaching things to other things, but I was wondering if there are hardpoints ala Empire at War. EaW might have had awful land battles, but engaging an Imperial Star Destroyer with only a handful of Y-Wings and using them just right to disable the shields, then engines and blow the bastard up... So satisfying. So, whats the word on targeting hardpoints?

I wish I used DD, because this seems like it'll be all types of fantastic. I hope you guys succeed with this venture, and I hope it influences other, similar games to appear. You guys, not just for your effort, but just your creativity, deserve success.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »

I also know that you have to sell like 32000 copies (or whatever) so you and your family can resume eating daily.

I know you're trying to get it on other retailers, and I also know that you're under an NDA so that you can't mention names or disclose too much.

But what I'm wondering is: Will it be available on other retailers in the next little while? Am I really being a huge douchebag for refusing to sign up with another retailer? And by waiting, will I be a douchebag for a long time?

Also, who can we send emails to (if anyone) requesting something be available on steam?

You could always try sending Gabe Newel one if nothing else. Perhaps link him to their site and this thread.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    About 10 days, we hope. But you're still a douchebag. :p

Unfortunately, no hardpoints. :( (At least, at this time)

Firgof on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

You could always try sending Gabe Newel one if nothing else. Perhaps link him to their site and this thread.

I have done just that. I wonder if he reads all of his emails? I imagine that he gets quite a few.

Michael H on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

I have done just that. I wonder if he reads all of his emails? I imagine that he gets quite a few.

Sent him one.

He's usually quite good about stuff like that. You may not get a response, he usually responds to enough random emails that you can tell he isn't just sticking everything in the junk folder.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    You guys should watch Aim For The Top! 2: Diebuster. Pretty much has a chainsaw planet.

Would it be this scene? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNq4S8uXas

Echo on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am going to buy or preorder this because a. you sound pretty cool firgof and b. your game sounds pretty cool too

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm finally "cool"?

I've been waiting so long for this day. I... I'm not sure what to do anymore.

Firgof on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nah, you're not cool

8-)

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    shakefist.gif
    Curse you, popular internet kid crowd! Curse you all!

Firgof on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm. On the one hand, I'm pretty sure I don't have a computer that can do this game justice.
    On the other hand, I'm probably going to buy it anyway.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Firgof wrote: »
    shakefist.gif
    Curse you, popular internet kid crowd! Curse you all!

I think you're cool. The crowd here at Penny Arcade are very cliquey. I wouldn't be worried about it.

A problem i've had with a few previous 4X games are the level of detail. Sometimes i'd like to be more hands on with my empire and other times, i'd like to let certain things automate on their own.

Does Star Ruler have that? If I don't feel like microing everything setting within my empire can I automate certain things? Does that make sense? o_O

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If my wry attempt at humor was misinterpreted in any way, let's make it clear that we do actually think Firgof, and the game he's releasing, are both extremely cool.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Our level of automation is somewhat lessened in some places but it's pretty easy to do automate what we do have. We're not as automatable as Distant Worlds but you're not going to have a dearth of automation such as, perhaps, Space Empires IV.

Also: Hahaha. Yeah, it was just a few playful jabs back and forth.

Firgof on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    You guys should watch Aim For The Top! 2: Diebuster. Pretty much has a chainsaw planet.

When I get this game and make my first super-weapon, I will have the Gunbuster March on repeat for the entire time I wreck some planet's shit.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    shojinshojin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    shojin wrote: »
    Yea, but why would you want to do that anyway?
    Oh, I can think of a reason or two.

I'm a fan of Debussy myself.

By the way, anyone watching this thread for the soundtrack still. I've got the last gameplay track uploaded to the bandcamp for those interested.

shojin on
    This is My Empire, These Cities Among the Stars
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hey firgof I don't remember who it is here but one of the forumers here has a direct line to Gabe Newell (as in, got Gabe flown over to his house to check out his L4D mod), so you might want to drop him a line and ask for his help

He's an indie dev too so I imagine he'd be willing to at least hear you out

Rent on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well I'm not too in to the whole 'bugging other indie developers' sort of thing. But if somebody can PM me his contact information I could ask him if he'd be okay with dropping a line for us.

Thanks for the hint though.

Firgof on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah, gamersgate is super easy to use.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Geek actually works for Valve, but I'm not sure how high on the totem pole he is.

captaink on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After reading this thread I absolutely had to pre-order. Frankly, if the game lives up to even a portion of its potential, I'll probably buy it on Steam/Impulse as well, if/when it's available.

A question: Are you guys planning to offer continued support and features (like planned but not yet implemented planetary invasions, etc.) as free patches, or will we see a "paid DLC" approach at some point for major content additions.

Not that I won't pay for the DLC (just no planetary invasion horse armor please).

Thanks for spending some time answering our questions, Firgof.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alecthar wrote: »
    After reading this thread I absolutely had to pre-order. Frankly, if the game lives up to even a portion of its potential, I'll probably buy it on Steam/Impulse as well, if/when it's available.

A question: Are you guys planning to offer continued support and features (like planned but not yet implemented planetary invasions, etc.) as free patches, or will we see a "paid DLC" approach at some point for major content additions.

Not that I won't pay for the DLC (just no planetary invasion horse armor please).

Thanks for spending some time answering our questions, Firgof.

"Dat horse armor."

We would prefer to release everything we'd like to add to the game for free but if we have to we will charge for content if we feel like we're going to go under financially. To that end: We will release free content for the game for as long as we're able. How long that is is entirely relative to how many sales we get.

No problem, Alecthar; I'd rather be out here talking with you guys about what you can expect from us and this game than have the game be some ominous and unknown obelisk sitting in the dark corners of some webstore somewhere for $25/game (though now I say that it does have a sort of 'forbidden' and 'mystical' charm). I also want to be out here because I wanted to demonstrate that we're not going to abandon our product and that we hold ourselves personally responsible for it too. :)

Firgof on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Like I said, I'd be happy to pay for solid DLC, especially if it's to put food on the table, but I'm glad to hear it's not the plan from the get-go.

Another question, this one gameplay related: You indicated that Point Defense wasn't present, and that missiles aren't actual objects. Would it be possible to fudge that a bit? What I mean is, could you fudge point defense by using the mechanics of say, a shield, to create a zone around a ship that has a certain chance of eliminating an incoming missile and then fudge it by making an animation that does a credible imitation of lots of little lasers shooting down missiles?

What I mean is, is the framework in place to create a fair imitation of point defense if you desire, or a modder desires?

I don't know if that was clear at all.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Firgof wrote: »
    I'd rather be out here talking with you guys... than have the game be some ominous and unknown obelisk sitting in the dark corners of some webstore somewhere

polls_2001_obelisk_0020_66643_poll_xlarge.jpeg

My god...it's full of features...

Rent on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alecthar wrote: »
    What I mean is, is the framework in place to create a fair imitation of point defense if you desire, or a modder desires?

That's really fudging it. We don't know, that's getting out there. If someone wants to give a go at trying to do that, they are more than welcome to attempt to do so. We would love to see that; we're just not sure how we'd officially do it.

Firgof on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I must say it's still a bit surreal for this thread to have gone from:
    "Hey this game looks neat."
    to
    "Hey I made this game."
    to
    "I have questions about this game."
    to
    "Sure I'll answer all your questions in intimate detail, hope y'all like this game."

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I would preorder on principle if I wasn't already going to preorder because it looks awesome.

And if I had the money to preorder things on principle.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Come gig in my town. There are tons of jazz gigs.

Also you seem cool so it would be cool if you were here.

Captain K on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Not a planet getting chainsawed, an actual chainsaw planet.
    The earth in the final episode.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Where are you Cap? Right now I'm actually in a relatively good position anyways, since I've got like 8 auditions scheduled everywhere and I can't be bad enough to fuck them all up, but hey, I'd be up for moving for gigs too.

Of course, jazz is also by far my weakest style, which is what's been hurting me. Musical Theater I can play without thinking about it, Rock I love, Classical I'm great at, and Jazz I'm... improving.

Either way, if none of my auditions go well there are so few gigs around here that I'm basically rent/food right now

Khavall on
  • Options
    shojinshojin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    Where are you Cap? Right now I'm actually in a relatively good position anyways, since I've got like 8 auditions scheduled everywhere and I can't be bad enough to fuck them all up, but hey, I'd be up for moving for gigs too.
    Of course, jazz is also by far my weakest style, which is what's been hurting me. Musical Theater I can play without thinking about it, Rock I love, Classical I'm great at, and Jazz I'm... improving.
    Either way, if none of my auditions go well there are so few gigs around here that I'm basically rent/food right now

I don't know for sure, but I think Captain K might have been talking to me. Good to know a fellow musician is in here though.

shojin on
    This is My Empire, These Cities Among the Stars