As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minecraft - Finders Creepers, Losers Weepers. Also, Paypal is fucking terrible.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Might I get the IP for Vic's server PMed to me? I left for a little vacation time last week while the IP was still available, but forgot to write it down :?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What is the default screenshot button? I'd like to take some pics of my fort and giant bridge.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Avynte wrote: »
    What is the default screenshot button? I'd like to take some pics of my fort and giant bridge.

print screen, copy paste into paint. :winky:

Alternatively: alt-print screen, copy paste into paint. :mrgreen:

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, you geese have brought another lurker out of the mist, and into your crazy world of "mining" and "crafting".

May God have mercy on your souls (and my leisure time).

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, you geese have brought another lurker out of the mist, and into your crazy world of "mining" and "crafting".

May God have mercy on your souls (and my leisure time).

8-)

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Since the last thread seems dead, I'll ask here again:

Can you pick up chests filled with stuff and move them about?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just from reading this thread too much, the answer is no.

It would destroy the purpose of your limited inventory space.

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would love to see the undersea scheme Machismo.
    eobet wrote: »
    Since the last thread seems dead, I'll ask here again:

Can you pick up chests filled with stuff and move them about?

Nope. In breaking the chest to pick it up, everything spills out.

Lave II on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And I'm told breaking a furnace destroys its contents.

Glal on
  • Options
    NibrocNibroc Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The difference between peaceful and mere easy is astounding. Today I decided to begin anew, on normal difficulty. Spelunking just became the most nerve-wracking activity. Busting through a wall just to find a creeper haulin' balls at your face. :shock:

Nibroc on
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nibroc wrote: »
    The difference between peaceful and mere easy is astounding. Today I decided to begin anew, on normal difficulty. Spelunking just became the most nerve-wracking activity. Busting through a wall just to find a creeper haulin' balls at your face. :shock:

on anything that's not peaceful its better to just mine straight down in a shaft, as its easier to defend yourself

pabh on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Manly mining for manly men

Peace is for girls

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really want to know more about monster generation. What counts as a dark tile where they can be generated? Is it like fully lit = 0% chance of generation, 10% darker than that = 10% chance, etc. or is it that only the blackest tiles can have monsters spawn there? If you leave a shaft dark can they spawn halfway up and fall to the bottom?
    Daius wrote: »
    Manly mining for manly men

Peace is for girls

Real life miners have it set on peaceful, what do you have against them?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    well, i did use the idea of "replacing" water by putting blocks in its place on my tower in the ocean

since i built it from the bottom of the water up i had to clear out the inside in order to build tunnels under the ocean around

That works well, but what if you want to build Sealab rather than a Sea Tower?

Same idea, except the tower is quite large. You build you lab entirely, then fill in all the unbuilt reclaimed area with water (from buckets), then you can just step up. Don't start a new layer of water until the lower one is done and all still.

Just make sure every part is packed with TNT at least partially.

schuss on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The monster generation at the bottom of the map is awesome, just shit everywhere, every dark spot spawns so many things. I'm running around throwing torches at everything in some sort of attempt to feel safe.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ugh I broke down and bought it.

This is so much better than the freeform/classic one.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ok, at this point I am afraid I can't seem to reliably keep the server up. I'll still try to have it up when I can, but at the moment it seems like both traffic and stability have gone down by a lot. I am willing to hand over the save if anyone is capable of taking over hosting, but it should be noted that it seems to require quite a powerful machine and internet connection until the code is cleaned up.

Vic on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The first stage of my undersea lair is complete on Vic's server. As a bonus I seem to have tapped into someone else's excavation around the nearby volcano. This does provide a convenient supply of magma.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have put up a small article on Minecraft at my website, including some screenshots from Vic's server.

http://www.leftmousebutton.net/gaming/article-a-world-of-minecraft

Might make a screenshot centre later on from all the servers on PA.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nice read.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    Ok, at this point I am afraid I can't seem to reliably keep the server up. I'll still try to have it up when I can, but at the moment it seems like both traffic and stability have gone down by a lot. I am willing to hand over the save if anyone is capable of taking over hosting, but it should be noted that it seems to require quite a powerful machine and internet connection until the code is cleaned up.

I played around tonight and didn't have any issues while I was on. Granted It was just me and another person.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I hate how when first starting getting light at night is a pain in the ass. Just saying.

bowen on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You should prolly start with a set of wooden tools and a torch or two, so new players don't need the Wiki just to do anything. I guess that'll come once he puts in the tutorial island.

Glal on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ok, I will post some pics of my mountain fortress tonight or tomorrow. It is pretty majestic. I think it has about 6 levels now, plus a few levels that are still unbuilt and lots of gaps int he room layout. Still, an easy 100 rooms in the place. I am sure I have a couple hundred windows on the darn thing. A couple of secret rooms, one which is accessible by taking a hidden path off the rampart up top. I also want to build a couple of towers on top, but that will be later. My last step will be doing an inventory edit to add in a ton of iron so I can build a rail way back to my original fort, across the sea. It is probably a couple of kilometers from me. :(

Last night, I forgot to turn off the difficulty, so I got surprised by a creeper inside. Bastard blew a hallway and damage 4 different rooms. It took a half hour to repair all the damage. I made sure to have some light in EVERY corner, now.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I only did the classic so figuring out I could make wooden tools was a surprise when I looked at the wiki. Though, it all seems pretty intuitive I'm happy about that.

bowen on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I found a really cool formation near the spawn point of my single player survival game yesterday, and I thought I'd share:
    Woah.png
    I'm at work so I can't clean up the desktop-y bits but yeah. Pretty awesome.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Question. Do the save games for single player follow me? Meaning if I start a single player game in survival with the stand alone client then move to my other PC (Which I don't ahve access to) do they come with, or, do I have to copy the save game?

bowen on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Question. Do the save games for single player follow me? Meaning if I start a single player game in survival with the stand alone client then move to my other PC (Which I don't ahve access to) do they come with, or, do I have to copy the save game?

They are local to the computer you play them on. You can copy saves from the .minecraft folder.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Damn was hoping to not have to do that. :(

bowen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, does some enterprising individual want to make a WC2 footman for me to wear around town? I will pay you in rays of sunshine. They're not redeemable for anything, though.

bowen on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does the sponge block not exist at all in Survival mode? In Creative mode it pretty much destroys water in a certain radius and prevents more water from coming in, resulting in walls of water.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Does the sponge block not exist at all in Survival mode? In Creative mode it pretty much destroys water in a certain radius and prevents more water from coming in, resulting in walls of water.

There doesn't appear to be a way to get the sponge block in Survival without using "other means"

*Inventory Editing*
    or
    *loading a Creative Mode World with sponges placed in Survival Mode*

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a way to change how water behaves in single player alpha?

Doesn't creative mode behave differently?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I use gravel to eradicate water and lava. Sand should work too. Basically, they drop to the bottom, so you can fill in an area with gravel or sand, and dig out the area you want leaving a barrier between you and the water.

I do this to get to the bottom of magma pits to see if there are more diamonds around.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    :( I just fell into a cave and this sucks. Like. I was digging and did the tile underneath me and whoops I fell about 80 meters (1 meter = block). I barely survived.

bowen on
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finally got my laptop re-jiggered with Windows, I've been missing my crafts of both kinds! I'm still afraid of going off peaceful though... :-/

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's a surprising number of people here playing on peaceful, considering this board's boner for punishing gameplay. Does the game just default to peaceful or something?

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No you have to switch it, but many of us switch it quickly after our first night.
    sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I was exploring and nightfall came, I made a little walkway in the face of a cliff but I dropped a block in front of it and just waited out the night. OH HI THERE SKELETON who then raped my face. So I switched it to peaceful so I can build my shit first.

I didn't even have a fucking torch yet, couldn't find coal to at least give myself fire to do some mining in the cave while I waited dayfall.

bowen on
  • Options
    ErukuEruku Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I got myself my own Minecraft server, thought it would be fun to see what creative stuff people would create. All I got was swastikas... So I restored a backup of the world without that craft, within 24 hours it was full of swastikas.

Needless to say I deleted the server.

Eruku on