As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I just had LASIK eye surgery. Lets talk about eyes. And surgeries (and lasers?)

• Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    I like wearing glasses because my chubby face looks even fatter without glasses.

I like wearing my glasses, because they accentuate my cheekbones. I am vain like that.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    I would get LASIK but I don't want to spend that kind of money. Also I like not having my eyes burned with a laser.

pussy

I draw the line at working with extreme lava-like temperatures and using acids that will melt your skeleton while still inside you.

Hunter on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    I like wearing glasses because my chubby face looks even fatter without glasses.

Those are just the adorable little mousy cheeks.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I would get LASIK but I don't want to spend that kind of money. Also I like not having my eyes burned with a laser.

pussy

I draw the line at working with extreme lava-like temperatures and using acids that will melt your skeleton while still inside you.

I just read the label for the eyedrops my optometrist just gave me. They include hydrochloric acid. Fun times.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Isoldae wrote: »
    I'm fine with my contacts.

I don't have the money or willpower to let a discount surgeon burn my eyes with a laser.

Discount eye surgery is like fast food fish for me. There are some things I just don't want on the cheap.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Margarazzi wrote: »

pussy

I just read the label for the eyedrops my optometrist just gave me. They include hydrochloric acid. Fun times.

Hydrochloric is nothing. When they start handing out hydrofluoric acid, you know you have man eye drops.

Hunter on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Margarazzi wrote: »

pussy

Hydrochloric is nothing. When they start handing out hydrofluoric acid, you know you have man eye drops.

I'm sure most would not like having their electrons ripped out.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i like wearing glasses

on the other hand I've only been wearing them about five months

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can already see much better, like, nearly 20/20 (I was /20 with glasses, /400 without)

But uh

I still keep looking for my glasses out of habit.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like wearing my glasses because i can see.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    CangoFett wrote: »
    I can already see much better, like, nearly 20/20 (I was /20 with glasses, /400 without)

But uh

Ha ha! Classic.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like my glasses.

And being able to touch my eyes without them popping.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't want lasik because I like to wear glasses

hi5

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    I have perfect vision. I can see better than Superman, even.

I thought of you today

my new car is a Spectra Ex

Also, I just bought a new car so now I can't get lasik. I suppose the upside is that I can get to my job, which will enable me to make money and eventually get lasik. Wavefront, right? That's the good shit? What's PRK?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2010
    i was thinking about getting contacts

i don't need my glasses to see. they make it a little bit sharper but i'm still pretty good without them and i find them too annoying to wear all the time

yet i feel weird driving without sunglasses on. even at night i'll put them on when i get in my car and then take them right back off because i can't see shit

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've seen floaters since I was a kid because I'm so nearsighted but it's gotten worse for me this year with my eyes becoming more sensitive to sunlight. Now I see more floaters, a vitreous fog moves across my vision if I move my eyes across a light source fast, and I could get a retinal detachment. I think I might need to tint my glasses for indoors.

Also floaters don't go away. Only way to get rid of them is either through a vitrectomy which is very risky and has an over fifty percent chance of making you develop cataracts, or a doc can try and laser them. Only a handful of doctors can do it in the states and there's no guarantee they'll get all of them.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still would rather have bionic eye implants

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This thread is topical to me! I woke up today, and my glasses had apparently fallen off my nightstand so that lead to me having to walk across the hall, into the bathroom and put in my contacts.

It seems I haven't been without glasses/contacts in such a long time that I didn't really know what it was like to see unaided. Holy crap are my eyes bad. Seriously thinking about getting some cyborg eyes. Especially considering my family's eyesight history.

My mom actually had to have emergency eye surgery when I was 16, she was basically blind for that entire summer. Thinking about that crap happening to me is actually horrifying. I'm not one to get freaked out about things a lot but ever since then, going blind has become like my biggest fear.

Without sight, I couldn't draw or art good anymore. I don't think I could survive very long without being able to see.

Fedora on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So many floaters, it's ridiculous. They literally have to make up about 10% of my total vision. Just lucky they're relatively transparent.

Surgery might be nice, but I like the way I look with glasses. Only reason I'd ever get it is just to see what it's like to have full proper range of vision. (fuck contacts)

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Last time I went to the eye doctor there was some confusion going on because there was this weird bump on my optic nerve that was kinda weird but I guess they dropped it? I've heard nothing about it since then. Also I have huge pupils. I don't know why.

I've got basically perfect vision, just some astigmatism. I will need glasses when I get older and I've already noticed a slight change in the way they were when I was a teenager and such.

I do have to wear sunglasses a lot outside cause I'm light-sensitive, and I sneeze in sunlight as well. You point up at some airplane in the sky during the summer and I will not be able to see it through the sneezing fit.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like contacts, they're not that bad.

Touching eyeball's ain't no thang.

Fedora on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    CangoFett wrote: »

But uh

You will have that habit for awhile, took about a year and a half before I finally stopped trying to push my glasses back into place when I would get tired.

I had PRK done about 4 years ago(eyesight was too bad for lasik, and my pupils are like twice as large as normal), only bad part was the burnt marshmallow smell during the procedure, and the fact that I had to stay in a dark room and not use my eyes for a week while they healed, while doped up on vicodin. Which apparently gives me really bad nightmares.

Morkath on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fedora wrote: »

Pretty much this. You can't even really feel it.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    AceFantasticAceFantastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PRK is like lasik, the difference is that the skin on your eye is completely removed as opposed to just making a cut into it and then folding it off the eye. Theoretically, this way eliminates the chance that the skin would detach at the cut in an incident that involved a lot of force being applied to the body. A lot of military/sports dudes go this route for said reason.

Apparently it also hurts more than lasik. In my case it felt as if I had received 2nd degree burns on my eyeballs.

AceFantastic on
    tegan.jpg
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually had my laser eye surgery nearly a decade ago at this point. I'm surprised it hasn't become more commonplace. Also, I'm surprised people still use the knife method; I heard a lot of places can do it with just lasers. In my case, I believe it only cost me $1000 an eye, and I think it came with a lifetime guarantee plan. Yeah, the idea of the surgery is not pleasant, and the few few hours afterward were horrible, but I don't regret it for a second, not after all the glasses and contact issues I had over the years.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

One time I had lost a contact with out realizing and I kept picking my eye trying to remove thinking it was still there. Once I realized it was gone after 15.min I then got grossed out. In my defense I was a little buzzed after coming back from drinking.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zephyr wrote: »
    is there a way to get rid of floaters? it's really annoying to see them in bright light when i move my eyes

flush the toilet again

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    PRK is like lasik, the difference is that the skin on your eye is completely removed as opposed to just making a cut into it and then folding it off the eye. Theoretically, this way eliminates the chance that the skin would detach at the cut in an incident that involved a lot of force being applied to the body. A lot of military/sports dudes go this route for said reason.

Apparently it also hurts more than lasik. In my case it felt as if I had received 2nd degree burns on my eyeballs.

Did they not put you on any pain medication? I didn't have any pain with the vicodin.

Morkath on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

One time I had lost a contact with out realizing and I kept picking my eye trying to remove thinking it was still there. Once I realized it was gone after 15.min I then got grossed out. In my defense I was a little buzzed after coming back from drinking.

That ain't no thang, either. I have done that exact same thing.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

hi5

Sorry guys, but it doesn't actually make you look smart or interesting. :(

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    37.gif

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    AceFantasticAceFantastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Morkath wrote: »
    Did they not put you on any pain medication? I didn't have any pain with the vicodin.

Yeah, they gave me T3's, freezing eye drops, and a few other things. Nothing did anything to reduce the pain though. It was pretty terrible. I have to get an "enhancement" again sometime so I'll definitely be asking for stronger meds this time through.

AceFantastic on
    tegan.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

hi5

glasses?

absolutely DO make you look smarter

Raneados on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh god, i would love lasik. i've had glasses since tenth grade (now a sophomore in college), and contacts for two years. now don't get me wrong, i love my contacts because having a full field of vision is a plus, i can wear sunglasses, and because they are not my glasses. but just because i love my contacts doesn't mean they aren't incredibly annoying. i'm jealous of people who can just see, who don't have to bother with putting them in every morning, and taking them out at night or whatever random time they decide to get all dried out and painful. and godforbid you fall asleep with them in.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

hi5

glasses?

absolutely DO make you look smarter

or a pedophile

there's a not-so-fine line

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can see perfectly! also I have no allergies! suck it, nerds!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i'm in okay shape, physically

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    women should be forbidden from having lasik as it is a known fact that women with glasses are hotter than women without them

I have data! and evidence!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i really like the look of thick glasses but i don't know if they'd look good on me (like anything could) and i wouldn't get them 'cause everyone has them

edit: i'm talking weezer glasses

Garlic Bread on