As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Busting the Nerd Flu - Fist Bumps

edgeofbladeedgeofblade WarlockHouston, TXRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
I don't know if you guys are the hand shaking types, but you might want to look into fist bumping your favorite industry icon instead of a handshake (aka, being a conduit to spread germs all over the con). After all, you don't want to be the one responsible for making Morgan Webb sick, do you?

I'm bringing lots of Emergen-C this year...

6YJGH2V.png
edgeofblade on
«13

Posts

  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another step, cough/sneeze in the arm instead of in the hand... Unless you're doing a mason handshake or something, you'll probably never spread germs that way, unless it's a pandemic!!!

    Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After all, you don't want to be the one responsible for making Morgan Webb sick, do you?

    actually if i made morgan webb sick that would make my day

    TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think we've beaten this issue pretty much to death.

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    I think we've beaten this issue pretty much to death.

    Always comes back up and can never hurt... or can it?

    Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's all fun and games till someone gets Axe in the eye!

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    817651922_mUmYz-L.jpg

    Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    I think we've beaten this issue pretty much to death.

    True, but last year I came home with the black goddamned death, so I'mma play it safe this year.

    Also, a little bottle of purell in your swag bag wouldn't hurt.

    AltDelete on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh for the love of....stop being germ-a-phobes. Eat a decent diet over the course of the convention, and wash your hands regularly. Also showering should not even be given a second thought when you wake up; it should be part of your getting-ready routine. This combination of things should prevent you from getting sick. If you still get sick after this, all the Purell in the world ain't gonna help your ass from catching the virulent super bug you contracted.

    /thread

    AltDelete wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    I think we've beaten this issue pretty much to death.

    True, but last year I came home with the black goddamned death, so I'mma play it safe this year.

    Also, a little bottle of purell in your swag bag wouldn't hurt.

    Yeah that's because a particularly aggressive (but not very deadly, regardless of what the media wanted folks to believe) strain of Flu was going around last year. Have we had any end-of-the-world pandemics reported in the news recently?

    Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No, I don't think so. There's been one case of bird flu found in one dead crow and no human cases reported.

    Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ..but purell cures everything, right?

    Right?

    AltDelete on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    Oh for the love of....stop being germ-a-phobes. Eat a decent diet over the course of the convention, and wash your hands regularly. Also showering should not even be given a second thought when you wake up; it should be part of your getting-ready routine. This combination of things should prevent you from getting sick. If you still get sick after this, all the Purell in the world ain't gonna help your ass from catching the virulent super bug you contracted.

    /thread

    AltDelete wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    I think we've beaten this issue pretty much to death.

    True, but last year I came home with the black goddamned death, so I'mma play it safe this year.

    Also, a little bottle of purell in your swag bag wouldn't hurt.

    Yeah that's because a particularly aggressive (but not very deadly, regardless of what the media wanted folks to believe) strain of Flu was going around last year. Have we had any end-of-the-world pandemics reported in the news recently?

    Please note, Decent diet means at least ONE normal meal over the course of the day (fast food is not normal) and Coffee is not breakfast despite the claims.

    Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Last year was my first at PAX, and I came home with nothing but swag :) I wasn't even conscious of being careful...just wash your hands or use hand sanitizer, shower, and don't go around licking people and you should be fine. Of course, I have a pretty heroic immune system. If you usually get sick then take some vitamins.

    Unless you want PAX Flu so you can call in to work...then the licking is fine, I guess.

    skylatron on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Angel177 wrote: »
    Coffee is not breakfast despite the claims.

    lies.

    I'm also very upset that I can't go around licking people.

    Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    I think we've beaten this issue pretty much to death.

    Just like showering but that doesn't stop the people from being a bunch of silly geese and bring it up every year.

    Sumi wrote: »
    Angel177 wrote: »
    Coffee is not breakfast despite the claims.

    lies.

    I'm also very upset that I can't go around licking people.

    Nah Angel177 is right it's not breakfast till you add the Jameson.

    TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrosoOroso Enforcer PortlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    I think we've beaten this issue pretty much to death.

    Oroso on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oroso wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    I think we've beaten this issue pretty much to death.

    I think we've beaten that quote to death.

    Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Even taking precautions last year (purell, eating real food, not shaking too many hands) i still got the flu that went around. I'm pretty sure it ended up being airborn so thats why me and everyone else got nailed with it. In any event this year i think im going with a respirator and a gallon of purell and hoping that keeps the sickness at bay.

    I'll be effectively be cosplaying "Anti-Sickness Yahtzee"

    RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    RCars2 wrote: »
    Even taking precautions last year (purell, eating real food, not shaking too many hands) i still got the flu that went around. I'm pretty sure it ended up being airborn so thats why me and everyone else got nailed with it. In any event this year i think im going with a respirator and a gallon of purell and hoping that keeps the sickness at bay.

    I'll be effectively be cosplaying "Anti-Sickness Yahtzee"

    EVERYONE STOP BREATHING AT THE CON, YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!!

    Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is dry humping out of the question then?

    strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    I think we've beaten this issue pretty much to death.

    Just like showering but that doesn't stop the people from being a bunch of silly geese and bring it up every year.

    Sumi wrote: »
    Angel177 wrote: »
    Coffee is not breakfast despite the claims.

    lies.

    I'm also very upset that I can't go around licking people.

    Nah Angel177 is right it's not breakfast till you add the Jameson.

    thats not breakfast either! thats just home medicine. and fucking tasty.

    Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is dry humping out of the question then?

    I would assume this would be ok as long as you use protection!

    Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Options
    RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    RCars2 wrote: »
    Even taking precautions last year (purell, eating real food, not shaking too many hands) i still got the flu that went around. I'm pretty sure it ended up being airborn so thats why me and everyone else got nailed with it. In any event this year i think im going with a respirator and a gallon of purell and hoping that keeps the sickness at bay.

    I'll be effectively be cosplaying "Anti-Sickness Yahtzee"

    EVERYONE STOP BREATHING AT THE CON, YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!!

    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    swissyswissy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah yes, last year was our first year at PAX . And it was mine and my husband honeymoon. He got super sick....and we raised to the doctor when the rumor went out about swine flu outbreaks. lol

    It was only a sinus infection :)
    And we are comming again this year prepared. lol

    -Lhars

    swissy on
  • Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't go last year, the husband and teenager went and brought back germs, nasty evil germs. I was down for a week, but they weren't H1N1 evil germs, I got that a month later at my nephews 1st birthday party. o_O

    GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just don't be the odd man out (or even, even) when the Dickwolves prowl, and you probably won't catch anything.

    Also, in the event of illness, enjoy your time off work. Don't work from home like a dumb-ass. Who has 2 thumbs and worked from home like a dumb-ass with Swine Flu last year?

    MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • Options
    swissyswissy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pffft I straight up said I think my husband has H1N1 and I got to stay home from work too (For preventive purposes) It was a win win

    swissy on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am a med student, eat well, keep clean and still got the fucking swine flu. Bottom line, everyone is susceptible. Its in the air bitches, you've been warned.

    The_Reflection on
  • Options
    Innocent ViceInnocent Vice Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah it didn't matter. I am almost a compulsive handwasher and I still got the swine flu.

    Needless to say I will be wearing a mask this convention.

    Innocent Vice on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah it didn't matter. I am almost a compulsive handwasher and I still got the swine flu.

    Needless to say I will be wearing a mask this convention.

    bvdSO.jpg

    ?

    (but yeah, I had absolutely zero physical contact with anyone and still got the H1N1. Probably got coughed on a bunch since apparently a lot of people don't understand the concept of covering their mouths when coughing)

    faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I eat h1n1 on my cornflakes every morning... your all a buncha silly geese...

    Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Needless to say I will be wearing a mask this convention.

    Are you my mommy?

    tr0tsky on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah it didn't matter. I am almost a compulsive handwasher and I still got the swine flu.

    Needless to say I will be wearing a mask this convention.

    You...you do know the normal face mask you see people wearing are actually designed to protect other people from you, not you from other people.

    It's why doctors wear them, so they don't give their patients the AIDS.

    Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    brothers don't shake hands... brothers gotta hug!

    In all seriousness... Daily vitamins, and a little anti bacterial is alright but don't go ape because you think you will get sick. If a person is sneezing or sniffling, don't immediately think they are sick. Allergies do happen, don't be hatin on us.

    Also remember... OVER anti-bacterializing is a baaaaaaaaad idea.

    Sarahstrasza on
  • Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MJPM wrote: »
    Also, in the event of illness, enjoy your time off work. Don't work from home like a dumb-ass. Who has 2 thumbs and worked from home like a dumb-ass with Swine Flu last year?

    Could be worse. I got H1N1, and instead of staying home, I went to a medical conference, where I was part of a white paper discussion on pandemic preparedness.

    (Also? I got H1N1 and I didn't even go to PAX. So there!)

    MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Honestly, I think this had more to do with the flights home than PAX itself. Airplanes are deathtraps if anyone on board is sick... All that recycled air. I remember lots of twitter traffic about what flights were "infected."

    Hubby and I were at PAX from open to close all three days, practiced basic hygiene, and didn't get sick at all. But then, we live in Alaska... Our flight home was not crowded.

    akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    I never get sick from PAX. I do however sometimes get sick from Montana. It gets cold up there, even just travelling through, have to remember to bring a coat.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't gotten sick from pax yet.... and if your friends are as crappy as mine you'll have caught every cold in the world from them before a gajillion strangers! stinky dirty gamers! I blame casey. You dont know him persay.. but.... trust me.. Just blame him

    Sarahstrasza on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I never get sick from PAX. I do however sometimes get sick from Montana. It gets cold up there, even just travelling through, have to remember to bring a coat.

    WEll if Lewis Black is to be believed, that's why you never get sick at PAX. Because you already have a cold

    JonnyNero on
  • Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know, the Peregrine booth had hand-sanitizer as some of their swag last year, for all the good it did. So it's not like there wasn't hand-sanitizer as swag. (There was toilet paper, too, now that I think about it!)

    But hey, all of us who got it last year can't get it again... Right?

    Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    The swine flu pandemic is over. Whatever people catch this year will be different.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.