As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone get sick this year?

13»

• Options
    kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wasn't able to go, but my wife went, and amongst the excellent swag she brought home for me she also came home with the Con Crod/ConFluenza/Con Pox. And she gave it to me. It hit her really hard. Me not, so much.

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • Options
    TheInt3rsectTheInt3rsect Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The friend that I went w/ was sick already, so I was already bound to get sick....which I am. :(

TheInt3rsect on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got a small case of the sniffles, but one of my roommates was super sick, so I'm lucky I didn't get whatever nonsense he had (or at least not as bad as he had it).

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    punzie wrote: »
    I got a small case of the sniffles, but one of my roommates was super sick, so I'm lucky I didn't get whatever nonsense he had (or at least not as bad as he had it).

who got sick? I don't remember anyone being sick in our room.

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    grim123 wrote: »
    punzie wrote: »

who got sick? I don't remember anyone being sick in our room.

It was Peet who I stayed with on Monday night (and he was up all night coughing and sneezing). He already posted int his thread to say he got sick.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's finally happened.

Ever since the flight home, I could feel my body starting to revolt but I had kept it in check with some good long rest and ample amounts of cranberry juice. (Regardless of the usefulness of Vit C, that shit just *tastes* good.)

Add another to the PAX body count.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    VariVari Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I, too, am a PAX09 H1N1 Survivor. (Should we start a survivor's group? Maybe we could have tee shirts!) So I was supra-mega-paranoid about germs this year. (I became good friends with those manning the LOTRO booth who had a giant bottle of hand sanitizer.) I still got a sore throat and no-voice. The soreness cleared up in about two days; the no-voice lasted for about a week. Consensus says I sounded like Demi Moore and I was asked to perform monologues from Ghost. Compared to last year, this was fairly painless.

Vari on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had been traveling and working extremely long hours the week immediately prior to PAX. I was tired, but had no idea I was actually a carrier for some sort of sinus infection. We flew into Seattle on Wednesday, and I was still thinking I was perfectly healthy at that time. I felt a little "off" on Friday (slight dizziness, waves of nausea, and a minor ear-ache) but it cleared up on Saturday and Sunday. Of course, counting backwards from when I started showing symptoms, those were probably the two days that I was most contagious.

It's almost certain that I managed to infect all of my gaming group, at least two Seattle natives that we try to visit every year, and possibly one friend who flew out from Boston.

Monday I developed symptoms of a horribly sore throat, congestion and neck pain. The infection seems to love the escutcheon tube (the little pipeway between your throat and your inner ear) and it HURTS. The pain only lasts about a day (with rest) and shouldn't develop a fever at all. (If you get a fever, you got something else.) The sinus issues seem to be lingering about a week. I'm still slightly sniffly and I've been sick for six days now.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Three of us sick this year, not bad out of 15. One member is getting better after onset of Monday last week. I had cough then but today it got worst. Brother is sick too. Sleep is definitely helping.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vari wrote: »
    I, too, am a PAX09 H1N1 Survivor. (Should we start a survivor's group? Maybe we could have tee shirts!) So I was supra-mega-paranoid about germs this year. (I became good friends with those manning the LOTRO booth who had a giant bottle of hand sanitizer.) I still got a sore throat and no-voice. The soreness cleared up in about two days; the no-voice lasted for about a week. Consensus says I sounded like Demi Moore and I was asked to perform monologues from Ghost. Compared to last year, this was fairly painless.

There are worse fates, yes. :lol:

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    MisterOwl wrote: »
    Two sick days away from the office for me.

I flew back from Seattle on Monday, went to work jetlagged and sore of throat on Tuesday and came down with a fever(now broken) on Wednesday. I'll probably drag myself into work in the morning.

Oh, how the voices that control me inside my head did ridicule the guy across from the Deathspank booth wearing the surgical mask! He's probably fine!

Was my first PAX Prime worth it? Of course. I was thinking ahead to PAX East before the last chant of "DTP!" in the Omegathon. Maybe I'll pick up some surgical masks...

When I talked with a guy who had a surgical mask at East this year, he said the mask wasn't to keep him from catching something from others, it was because he was sick and was trying to prevent himself from spreading his illness to others.

Really any sort of mask that covers your nose and mouth will help with this. I found that Dust masks, while not graded for surgery, are also good for preventing the spread of sickness. PLUS, I have painted them before, including one that said "Swine Flu World Tour 2009" and one with a big pig snout on it.

Anyway, I really do suggest getting a flu shot as well, as it is one of the pest things you can do proactively.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This year was my worst yet. Sept. 15, little over a week's gestation and i start to get the sore throat, aches/pains, etc. Fever gets really bad - 105 deg. for several days. Start to see symptoms fading by Sat, but suddenly everything came back with a vengance and no OTC medication worked.
    Went to the doctor's on Mon.and was diagnosed with bad pneumonia in all 4 lobes of my lungs plus a UTI. They gave me some antibiotics. I get home, take one pill and immediately have a nasty allergic reaction. I don't remember Tues. at all.
    Managed to call a friend on Wed. who took me to the emergency room. Spent 3 horrible days in the hospital hooked up to multiple IVs and oxygen. Oh, and I found out I'm diabetic. Now I'm home, slowly getting better. I hope.

I think Seattle is trying to kill me.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    10 days is kind of a stretch to say it was pax?

adester on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adester wrote: »

I know more than one person who got the same symptoms as everyone else the next week, like I did. I think it just took more time to show up in us. I was just lucky enough for it to turn into pneumonia.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mystral721 wrote: »
    adester wrote: »

I know more than one person who got the same symptoms as everyone else the next week, like I did. I think it just took more time to show up in us. I was just lucky enough for it to turn into pneumonia.

well I hope you are getting better. You going to the next pax?

adester on
  • Options
    smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is the first PAX I have emerged from unscathed. Prime 09 I was on the return WCTT and got Pigs flying in formation from both nostrils for a week. Do Not be a foreigner in La and get Sick. You will not have fun. Hid in a hotel for a week, which screwed fantastically with my vacation.

Got horribly ill in Boston for east '10, which was expensive and meant I missed out on visiting NYC except for the subway on the day I flew out, but at least I got to see Anime Boston. PAX really wins.

But Prime '10 was uneventful for me in terms of pestilence. I count myself very lucky.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • Options
    rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not sure about anyone else, but I've decided best thing to do with PAX is to be home ASAP afterwards. PAX Prime, was in Seattle for 3 and a bit days afterwards, spent two feeling fairly rough. PAX East 2011, I'll be leaving PAX about 30 minutes before the close, to get a 7pm flight out, and will be home by 6am Boston time, so I can be dead back at home with my own stuff (and not in an expensive hotel)!

rnicoll on
  • Options
    smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not a bad notion, and I probably should have done that myself. It's difficult if pax is simply part of a larger vacation, which coming as far as I do it almost has to be.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • Options
    rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    smerk wrote: »
    Not a bad notion, and I probably should have done that myself. It's difficult if pax is simply part of a larger vacation, which coming as far as I do it almost has to be.

What I was thinking was to do the touristy/vacation part before hand, and make PAX the last thing before you go home. The group I went with agreed if we were going to do PAX Prime again, we'd be all touristy in Vancouver before heading on to Seattle, rather than just connecting through there. Free time is a real issue for me, so I'm opting for PAX East this year (12 hour journey instead of 23), but may well try that another year...

rnicoll on