As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CIV 5 THREAD: REJOICE MACLOSERS YOU CAN GET ON STEAM W/IT

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    oh also

when it says your city can expand "up to three hexes" in the OP, does that mean it can have four hexes in it or all the hexes which are within three contiguous tiles of the city?

You start with all the hexes 1 square out in a circle, then have to wait for culture milestones to exapand outwards 1 tile at a time, up to the 3 hexes away from the city mentioned in the OP

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    civ 5 will spill the blood of the wicked

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    oh also

when it says your city can expand "up to three hexes" in the OP, does that mean it can have four hexes in it or all the hexes which are within three contiguous tiles of the city?

You start with all the hexes 1 square out in a circle, then have to wait for culture milestones to exapand outwards 1 tile at a time, up to the 3 hexes away from the city mentioned in the OP

Oh, okay. Not nearly as limited as I thought, then.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Most of the huge wars, that I witnessed, were over hyper religious AI.
    It was always really integral to alliances, and it made you really worry about 1 enemy becoming 4 enemies.
    I liked the system, but I'm really excited about exploring this new one.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It was always really integral to alliances, and it made you really worry about 1 enemy becoming 4 enemies.

That's true and that was something kinda ended up being neat.

I played a huge FFA map with AI. The AI ended up allying with their neighbors because they tended to have the same religions. As a result, you basically had an eastern bloc, a southern bloc, and a northwestern bloc, with me in the center of the map surrounded by them.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    oh also

By 1 tile I meant 1 tile like, only one more space. You can also use gold to hurry it up though

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I kind of expect that the new city state politics will fill the place of religion in that role.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    End wrote: »

I played a huge FFA map with AI. The AI ended up allying with their neighbors because they tended to have the same religions. As a result, you basically had an eastern bloc, a southern bloc, and a northwestern bloc, with me in the center of the map surrounded by them.

alternatively, I'm hoping for something closer to the Alpha Centauri system where they like you if your politics are similar and each leader/nation has a particular set of politics that they value more highly than the others

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I once had a dream

where some AI researcher somehow linked up a prototype AI with Civ IV

somehow created a skynet type thing with a Charlemagne personality

It was also a total dick

I bet this will be what happens with Civ X

Calling it right here

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

alternatively, I'm hoping for something closer to the Alpha Centauri system where they like you if your politics are similar and each leader/nation has a particular set of politics that they value more highly than the others

Have you been playing an entirely different Civ IV from me? Religion is typically the most important factor in diplomacy in the games I play, plus it's a key factor for your economy via happiness, culture, and research bonuses (monasteries provide +10% research) at a minimum, not to mention all the religion-related Wonders (University of Sankore, Angkor Wat, Apostolic Palace, etc.). I'm actually kind of sad that they took it out for Civ V, as it's always been such a major element of my Civ IV games.

Also, the leader/politics based diplomacy system a la AC you mention is already in Civ IV. Each leader has a favorite civic, and they'll like you more if you use it. Don't know what the plan is for Civ V though.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Have you been playing an entirely different Civ IV from me? Religion is typically the most important factor in diplomacy in the games I play, plus it's a key factor for your economy via happiness, culture, and research bonuses (monasteries provide +10% research) at a minimum, not to mention all the religion-related Wonders (University of Sankore, Angkor Wat, Apostolic Palace, etc.). I'm actually kind of sad that they took it out for Civ V, as it's always been such a major element of my Civ IV games.

Also, the leader/politics based diplomacy system a la AC you mention is already in Civ IV. Each leader has a favorite civic, and they'll like you more if you use it. Don't know what the plan is for Civ V though.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out who you are addressing with this post.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2010
    boycotting this because lincoln isn't in

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    No Mongols?

Laaaaaame

I've been mourning the vikings for past several months.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2010
    give me lincoln or give me death

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    He'll be in an expansion

Probably

He was one of the most memorable civ dudes.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm having a really hard time figuring out who you are addressing with this post.

Sorry, I was aiming at MrMonroe. He was saying a bunch of stuff about how religion in Civ IV seemed extraneous, which totally doesn't jibe with my experience of the game at all. I suppose I could have made that clearer!

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh also

By 1 tile I meant 1 tile like, only one more space. You can also use gold to hurry it up though

But is the maximum expansion 3 tiles? That is what I originally thought.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, do we know each CIv's Special ability (and more importantly what it does) and also the starting traits?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RaekiRaeki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want this so hard.

Raeki on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, do we know each CIv's Special ability (and more importantly what it does) and also the starting traits?

http://www.civilization5.com/#/civilizations-all/

Shabooty on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a bit sad that Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonians are only included in the Steam deluxe edition. The Babylonians have so far been a staple in the Civ games. And due to Steam's European pricing policy, even the normal game is more expensive than it would cost in the store.

Platy on
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jesus, Civfanatics is one of the worst gaming forums I've ever seen. It's right up there with No Mutants Allowed and the Paradox forums.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Sorry, I was aiming at MrMonroe. He was saying a bunch of stuff about how religion in Civ IV seemed extraneous, which totally doesn't jibe with my experience of the game at all. I suppose I could have made that clearer!

less extraneous, more artificial

it didn't do the things I would expect religion to do most of the time (it's not an insurmountable diplomatic obstacle at all) and it just acted... weird. Rather than act as the culmination of a political and cultural movement, it was like a revelation by a prophet was something you paid to accomplish with tax dollars and was handed to you the same way the discovery of the railroad was

edit: what I am saying is it should have been tied to culture in some way rather than research

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shabooty wrote: »

The aztecs sounds like people who are always angry all the time.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Looking back, a lot of the characters from Civ IV were basically played the same.

I'm guessing they took the biggest names in history, and picked the names of leaders that matched both the roll call, and the gathered play styles.

You really don't need 5 Julius Caesars or 5 Ghengis Khans.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Looking back, a lot of the characters from Civ IV were basically played the same.

I'm guessing they took the biggest names in history, and picked the names of leaders that matched both the roll call, and the gathered play styles.

You really don't need 5 Julius Caesars or 5 Ghengis Khans.

Some of us kinda want to represent our favorite leaders/civilizations

the playstyle doesn't matter a lick

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh I understand that completely.

I'm just saying as a game, I think this is good choice.

They can always add civ's guys!

I'm just hoping that the time they might of spent on extra characters

went to making sure the game is playable when it comes out.

I think Civ IV's release and following patches was one of the worst series of chaos I've ever seen.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ha, you can all tremble before the might of Nebuchadnezzar II once the game releases.

Sending jews into exile erryday.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Carrying over my zerg drone powering and ultralisk skills over to India with their population growth and war elephants.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been avoiding the civfanatic site because I can't stand the tease. I'll be watching the two hour demo right after this post. I'll be playing civ4 all week since it will never be played again once I have this.

I can still remember seeing civilization for sale for the first time. It made my amiga worth every penny I paid. I've owned every edition and expansion almost the day they were released.

I am sorry to see religion going away but I'm sure it will be mod'd in one day.

The dearth of leaders is probably due to the need for distinctive AI and voice acting. I think two or three expansions will be made since the demand for more civs/leaders will be great. This is a good thing since the expansions always improve the goodness.

Will there be Civ5 online games with people from our forums? I'd love to give you all a run for your money but I still am not a very pro player. I do have a ringer to ally with however.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Carrying over my zerg drone powering and ultralisk skills over to India with their population growth and war elephants.

haha, excellent

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

Fast workers were pretty awesome in Civ IV.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gonna go alexander and play the iron maiden song on loop for inspiration

or wu zetian and the same with wu tang

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'm not too worried because I know there will be more leaders!

Still, I had to dive straight into that Babylon deal. Still haven't decided what I'll be maining as (Bismarck seems the obvious choice, but goddamn everyone will Bismarcking it up).

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    it was like 80USD on steam here

utterly retarded

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Shit, where are you living at, Llama? It's $60 over here.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    new zealand

needless to say I got it somewhere else for $90NZ which is still $66US, but eh it's not too bad

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

wait just one damn minute

George Washington

Special Ability: Manifest Destiny

oh yes

yes please

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll probably first go with China, because I always played Korea in Civ 4.

Platy on
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

wait just one damn minute

George Washington

Special Ability: Manifest Destiny

oh yes

yes please

what does that do? every political/combat action is viewed as right?

HellaJeff on