As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CIV 5 THREAD: REJOICE MACLOSERS YOU CAN GET ON STEAM W/IT

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    uhh the luxury mod is really easily findable in game

just go to the category that it would be in (it's something like display-> UI gadgets)

Thanks, I found it, I didn't even realize there was in-game mod downloads, I thought it would be an external thing

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    So I guess it's a bug but if I send my units on multiple turn movements, they won't move with each turn. Just move once then 10 turns later they're in the same spot

Unit pathfinding can be utterly fucked by enemy units, in some circumstances. For example, in one game I had a barbarian Trireme on one side of a small island, blocking the pass. I ordered my Destroyer (which had like fifty moves) to go to an area past it. It took one step to the left, pathing around the island. The Trireme was now out of view, so it said "Oh hey, there's a shortcut on the right side of the island!" and took a step to the right. The Trireme was still there, so the Destroyer's next move was to take a step to the left...

This repeated until my Destroyer was out of moves and probably would've continued forever had I not immediately noticed it.

Garthor on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Vienna owns 3 cities in my current game. It's pretty neat, especially since I'm their ally.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Vienna has been the only one of my City-State allies to ever really go to war with me. Everyone else declares war but doesn't do anything. No wonder it gets most of my foreign aid in terms of gold and units.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ive discovered that any city state will go to war with you, but only if their border is directly touching the border of someone you are at war with AND there is a city within 3-4 hexes of that border. Any further and they will probably just not "see" the city.

Also if the city state is warlike they will puppet the city, if it is maritime or culture they will probably raize the city.

Also also i am pretty sure that a city state will never truly try to capture a civs capitol, they just kinda flounder around it, even if they have tanks. Same with city states on other city states.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Ive discovered that any city state will go to war with you, but only if their border is directly touching the border of someone you are at war with AND there is a city within 3-4 hexes of that border. Any further and they will probably just not "see" the city.

Also if the city state is warlike they will puppet the city, if it is maritime or culture they will probably raize the city.

Also also i am pretty sure that a city state will never truly try to capture a civs capitol, they just kinda flounder around it, even if they have tanks. Same with city states on other city states.

I experienced this first bit after I liberated a city state from Russia, it was then allied with me or something, but that didn't stop it from bombarding my units.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Vienna has been the only one of my City-State allies to ever really go to war with me. Everyone else declares war but doesn't do anything. No wonder it gets most of my foreign aid in terms of gold and units.

I just love fucking with other civs when they are warring against a city state. Just gifting units left and right. Gifting units provides way to little of a bonus though, but as the old saying goes, the enemies of my enemy is my friend.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2010
    the reward is that you're fucking them over and they can't prove you did it

I did it to Japan after allying with a city state effectively halted their assault on me and forced them to stop the war against me to deal with the upstart city-state blocking their path

but then I gave that city-state like five units and watched the japanese army break apart

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah each unit gives you one respect point no matter what as far as I can tell, it's pretty silly. Should be some portion of their strength modified by the age or something.

L|ama on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does this game notify you when you lose embarked units? I seem to have misplaced my super advanced Infantry unit I got from finding like 8 ancient ruins

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah it does

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah, must have missed it

Oh well, my Navy is still better than anyone's. Though I fear the American war machine, whenever I sail by George's island he seems to have a lot of land units stockpiled

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2010
    america usually ends up fucking huge if no one powerful is near them

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is there a handy chart anywhere of what units upgrade into what?

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    america usually ends up fucking huge if no one powerful is near them

Any AI ends up huge in that case though.

On continents maps the AI will 90% of the time gobble up everyone on their part of the planet.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah, must have missed it

Oh well, my Navy is still better than anyone's. Though I fear the American war machine, whenever I sail by George's island he seems to have a lot of land units stockpiled

If you hit the additional information scroll at the top right you can click military overview and get a list of all your units and what they're doing.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Ah, must have missed it

If you hit the additional information scroll at the top right you can click military overview and get a list of all your units and what they're doing.

Yea I tried that and it wasn't there and I have no idea where it went

And it wouldn't have lost a fight to anything because it was so much stronger than everything in the world

Only explanation I can think of is lost at sea

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah but the US usually win

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    well, unless you're the river bandit your embarked units won't fight back, they just get 1 shotted by any naval military unit that moves on to them.

TheStig on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    an odd glitch just happened

I am using a mod that puts all civs and city states into their correct positions on the world map
    playing as songhai I take out egypt and eventually get into a war with persia and russia
    this made dublin very happy on its little island up there apparently as it became good allies with me and proceeded to attack itself with archers
    once the archers destroyed the city, they happily gave it to me
    so now with only africa and some of the middle east uncovered on my map, I have a small little island of my own waaaaay up north

maybe I can gift it to england, or make an island fortress

natek on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Island fortress! Island fortress!

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is there a handy chart anywhere of what units upgrade into what?

Yeah, the Civilopedia. Press F1 to open it, or right-click on any unit's portrait to open that unit's entry, which includes upgrade info.

Also probably some websites, I dunno

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    man, I'm too tired and thought the pentagon was the UN. I thought I was a few turns from winning.

In related news, they really should have the CPU at least try to buy city-states back. It's like it gives up on them once I take them.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ugh

japan and siam at war with persia who then decide to attack me

I wipe out persia

japan and siam decide they need someone else to attack and both declare war on me the very next turn

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone managed to get a good cooperative relationship with an AI civ going? Like long-term trade and research cooperation? Or will everyone try to kill you sooner or later?

Ivar on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ugh

japan and siam at war with persia who then decide to attack me

I wipe out persia

japan and siam decide they need someone else to attack and both declare war on me the very next turn

Well they have all those military units

Gotta put 'em to use somewheres
    Ivar wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get a good cooperative relationship with an AI civ going? Like long-term trade and research cooperation? Or will everyone try to kill you sooner or later?

Nope!

And it's the single biggest problem with the game, in my opinion

Making every other Civ behave like a "human" player, knowing that it's a game and there are win conditions and always fucking you over for their own gain, essentially makes diplomacy nonexistent as a gameplay factor

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I think I completely mismanaged this, but ended up in the Industrial age at war with Japan, Russia and Germany.

I can't fight them all.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I miss not knowing what other civs think of me, except "hostile" or "at war".

And also cooperating with other civs. Getting together a big alliance in Civ4 and going to war with the rest of the world is fun.

TEAM HINDU SMASH WORLD

Ivar on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you're not going for a cultural victory, is many cities always better than just a few?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    If you're not going for a cultural victory, is many cities always better than just a few?

exactly the opposite

my cultural game as France is going swimmingly with just two cities

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    owning more cities raises the cost of social policies.

TheStig on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Indeed, but what I'm wondering is if having a lot of cities is in any way a downside for the other methods of victory. Aside from the accusing glare of other civilizations who go, "You're taking up all the good land!"

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    you expect me to be able to read at this hour? psssfjsjfjh

I find multiple cities are best for gaining lots and lots of gold, which is pretty great for everything.

Umm, the major downside to large empires is your happiness is hard to maintain. You have to get plenty of happy structures in your cities and shoot for the wonders that reduce unhappiness (secret palace?) and flat out give you a lot of it (oxford). So if you get in a war that cuts off a luxury you were relying on, or if you pick up too many cities from conquest, it can plummet for a while.

There's also the problem of having lots of area to defend, map depending.

If you plan on taking lots of land try to make your first few cities block the progress of the expanding enemies. Like if you have a choke, throw down a city there and whatever you do, don't give them open borders. They will walk right into your empire and settle anything that's 2 spaces from your border. In my current game there is an enemy city surrounded by ice, who's only purpose is to get 1 oil.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    you expect me to be able to read at this hour? psssfjsjfjh

I find multiple cities are best for gaining lots and lots of gold, which is pretty great for everything.

Umm, the major downside to large empires is your happiness is hard to maintain. You have to get plenty of happy structures in your cities and shoot for the wonders that reduce unhappiness (secret palace?) and flat out give you a lot of it (oxford). So if you get in a war that cuts off a luxury you were relying on, or if you pick up too many cities from conquest, it can plummet for a while.

There's also the problem of having lots of area to defend, map depending.

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me, and then the two biggest powers decided independently to attack me.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    With the current AI it's basically "few cities, keep low profile" or "RAAAR MAXIMUM HITLER".

Also I've become really really annoyed by barbarians lately. They never seem to bother the AI, it's hard to do fogbusting at the beginning and they always go straight for your first city to harrass your workers. They're not dangerous or anything, just goddamn tedious to keep away.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Eh, my current empire is large and peaceful. I have had 2 civs attack me in the past, but my quick expansion to a choke that is flanked by an ally city-state paid off. Turned that area into a meat grinder.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think I'm going to start over now that I now what I'm doing. Push for a peaceful tech victory.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Honor -> Tradition -> Autocracy = Hunter World Order

If I have time then either Order to make my sprawling empire cheaper or Commerce to boost gold to help pay for said empire.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FFFFFFFFFFF

I forgot to turn off time victory

missed my cultural victory by 16 turns

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SvidrigailovSvidrigailov Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    FFFFFFFFFFF

I forgot to turn off time victory

missed my cultural victory by 16 turns
    That is THE WORST. In my very first game, I was three turns from completing the Utopia Project in 2050. I basically lost because I took too many other social policies before noticing the 25% social policy cost reduction policy.

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.