As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CIV 5 THREAD: REJOICE MACLOSERS YOU CAN GET ON STEAM W/IT

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What are the little red patches on the map? They don't seem to do anything that I can see

A bug, I think?

As in

it's in DX10/11 mode and it's showing something that shouldn't show up.

I see them sometimes too, but but they go away quickly.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    Gentlemen, I give you The Blanket of Doom

this is why I would rather slam my dick in a car door than play any of the civ games on the hardest difficulty

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it's not helped by the fact that you have to turn off combat animations before you start your game.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hurrrrrgh i gotta decide what civ to play my next game as

i haven't beaten a playthrough yet because i have the attention deficits

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ive decided that I will not be playing this game again until the AI gets patched to actually give you stuff if they declare war on you, get whipped, then try to get out of it by trading peace for just peace.

You owe me so much in fucking gold and spices, president Washington.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you just gotta keep fucking em

although usually by the time they give you peace on reasonable terms, you can just kill them and take it all anyway

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i have a really hard time getting city states to like me, thus impeding my attempts to get the bollywood achievement by cultivating cultural/maritime cs relations while focussing on culture

maybe elephants too

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    use the right social policies and just save up 1k gold at a time, especially during golden ages

gotta get stonehenge too, that gives you a huge early game boost

also try and put one city at a chokepoint and chuck a citadel there if you're at risk of getting attacked

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah, what i want to do is build three big old cities in a secure rich area, go straight for stonehenge and tradition

go from tradition to piety, then maybe that silly city state tree. i rarely have that much gold, i have a bad habit of never having enough units out because I'm too busy building like a crackhead.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah on my bollywood game I used units for scouting and little else

I think I had one horseman and one swordsman for nearly the entire game, as well as a couple of caravels

also make sure to flip citizen focus to culture once you get a decent amount of stuff built up

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    what size do you reckon thats a good idea

12? maybe

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I probably went too long, by the time I switched to culture instead of production at my capital it was making like 200 or 400 a turn or something, and it was over 20 citizens

L|ama on
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Got this game the other day and decided to go with Napoleon cause he makes me laugh. Well Civ 5's concept of him anyway.

I didn't want to make a plan on how to win, I just went with what felt naturally best for my Civilization.

That apparently includes Communism, the most advanced military, and borders that literally spread across the map.

It was going well early on but I need to pace myself now. Happiness may become an issue and policies are slowing down. Though really I don't mind, I'm no real danger if I slow down.

What I do mind is the Ottomans and Russians getting in the way of trade routes.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know people talk about Elizabeth being "easy mode" when playing an Island map, but I think Askia might be even worse. Being able to defend while embarked meant I could send my Mandelaku Cavalry out freely without worrying about stray ships killing experienced units. And since almost every city was coastal, the Mandes could land next to a city the same turn I declared war, then take it and secure a foothold on the island the very next turn.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i really like archipelago maps, maybe I oughta give Askia a try

if you pillage shit, can you get rich p. quick?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    i really like archipelago maps, maybe I oughta give Askia a try

if you pillage shit, can you get rich p. quick?

you get 5-50 gold from each tile you pillage, I have no idea how it calculates how much it's worth per tile

but if you're trying to conquer the cities and actually puppet/annex them, it's worth debating whether you want to leave the improvements intact so you can use them yourself in the near future

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    holy crap, the russians

hello, I have 51 iron and 48 horses and i'm trading iron to other civs already, so i probably have more like 61

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dangit

I lost my Aztec save in the reformat

it wasn't going great since like the three largest civs just started a war with me but still

it's fun to watch a few longswordsmen you've been upgrading since they were Jaguars take out a huge army of archers

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Completed a game for the first time yesterday, playing on my brother's PC where it doesn't run like crap. Gotta say the game is way too easy. I played on Prince and totally stomped everyone, which isn't impressive I know but in Civ IV I never won a game on Noble and I'm pretty sure that's the equivalent difficulty? Prince is meant to be where you and the computer are on equal standing right? And by the end of the game I was in the modern era with tanks and infantry, and only one AI had even made it to the Industrial era, everyone else was still in Renaissance.

And the AI is so retarded. I don't think I lost a single military unit through 4 wars. I actually found myself wishing for the computer to defeat me but it kept making elementary mistakes, like attacking my horseman with a crappy little warrior when he had a pikeman right there, attacking over rivers instead of moving into a better tile first, crap like that.

I really hope they fix the balancing issues and do something about the AI cos it's a fun game but also pretty lacking.

Also they really need to fix the bugs. At some point during my game it started changing the production in my cities if I bought something. So I was about 5 turns away from completing a wonder, bought a trireme, and suddenly the wonder had been ditched and the city was just building triremes. Also units that were asleep kept randomly waking up, the "Just Completed" box in the production menu was empty so I could never remember what I'd just built in that city, I'd set a worker to build an improvement and every turn it would stop and I'd have to tell it again, and I had to restart the game because the first time I got to turn 30 and only one civ had built their city, everyone else just had settlers standing around not doing anything.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, quick Steam question:

If I copy the game files onto an external HDD and then put them back into a fresh install of Steam, it'll recognize them and won't download the files again, right?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    correct

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I won my first game yesterday

Domination victory with Russia. I ended up conquering everyone except America, then I built the UN one turn before my modern armors / mechanized infantry took Washington and I won

Next I want to win a cultural vic with three cities, probably as India

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i have never completed a civ game because add

Beasteh on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I started my first game as Russia yesterday. Their special building is fucking ridiculous. It replaces the Barracks and the bonus is that cities with it built need half the Culture to grow their territory. With 5 cities, I have all of standard sized Africa until my control rather quickly. It's really ridiculous.

Of course, with all of africa under control there isn't a single fucking unit of Uranium or Coal on the whole fucking continent. What the fuck?!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think the algorithm for placing resources is borked.

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I think that there's an option to change resource placement in the advanced set-up. I can't remember what it's called, though.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Smooch up to some city states that do have the resources you need

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In my last game I never found any coal. Nowhere. On a large earth map! Not even the city states had some!

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You can set the resources to abundant or legendary start, I usually use Abundant because it makes life a little easier in terms of city growth

However, coal is just a bitch. I never have more then like six coal even when I had 150 horses and 200 iron.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Yo!

Looks like 2K is planning a TBA patch for Civ 5.
    You guys have been asking for an update about what we're working on to improve the game, and today I am happy to give it to you.

This is the list of updates to the game that the developers have been working on the past couple weeks. This isn't necessarily the complete patch notes for the next patch, but it's what I have so far.

Keep in mind that these are just the first batch of changes that will go in to the first major patch. We're planning more improvements (such as the much-asked-for Hotseat and Pitboss) that will be coming in a later patch.

UI
    Fix for production prompt that sometimes appears with newly created puppet states that could stop the player from being able to end the turn.
    Aircraft banner corrections – now when you rebase an aircraft, the number will move with it.
    Resource icons now come up with Ctrl-R again, instead of sharing the same button with Build Roads.
    Selecting a great general will no longer cause yield icons to appear.
    Added option to disable auto-unit cycling.
    Fix for full-screen game when running dual monitors. Previously, the curser could scroll off the “open” side, and not be able to scroll the map in that direction.
    Misc additional fixes to mouse controls, and other interface issues.
    Rounded out financial information in the Economic Overview screen. Details now provided on the amount of gold provided by each city, the cost of buildings in each city, etc.
    Auto-populate save menu with save file name
    Allow selection of other cities by hex from within the city screen
    Added detailed trade route info to Economic Overview screen

MODDING
    Category list now displays correctly

GAMEPLAY
    Workers - Added option to force workers to ignore manually made improvements (so they don’t change what you decide was best for a plot).
    Workers - Fixed bug where number of turns to complete were incorrect in build action button tool-tip.
    Economy - Fixed bug where players could disband a single unit, and not see the economic return until disbanding 1 more.
    Economy – Increased city wealth setting to 25%
    Economy – Multiple fixes to the way trade-routes are tabulated and recognized.
    Economy - Can now sell Buildings in a city (to help lower maintenance for obsolete buildings later in the game).
    Trade – Found and corrected a Trade problem that could cause your Resource inventory to multiply.
    City States - Fixed a bug where you could not gift aircraft to city states.
    Military - Medic promotion now only provides healing bonus for adjacent units.
    Military – Fix for Minuteman movement.
    Military – Correct promotions for “archer-like” units (horse archers, chariots).
    Military - Embarked units will no longer slow enemy land units
    Military - Improved unit cycling logic. Camera will jump around much less.
    Balance - Engineers +1 hammer

AI
    Military – Better handling of unit need (navy vs land, etc.) .
    Military - AI will tend to build ships to deal with blockaded cities more often
    Military – Corrected an issue hampering movement of AI armies, especially when in close proximity to enemy forces
    Diplomacy – AI will be more reluctant to offer or accept open border agreements with more powerful opponents.
    Diplomacy – Fix for never ending deals (peace, research agreements, etc).
    City – City specialization and city focus improvements.
    City - Cities that are Avoiding Growth will not grow while that option is selected
    Workers – Priority of trading posts reduced, and rebalanced priorities on other improvements
    Workers – Improved the path-finding mechanic when building route-to roads improved, including a large performance increase when evaluating road-pathing.

MULTIPLAYER
    Exploit – Fix for gifting unit exploit
    Chat – Color-coding, sound alerts, etc., added for in-game chat system, including a larger window.
    Deals – Additional deal validation put in place to verify deals before they are committed

MISC
    Research treaties that end because you declare war will no longer grant the free tech
    Save/Load – Fix for corrupted saves being experienced by some players in late-game.
    Map - Huge map crash-during-load fix that were reported on some specific systems.
    Map – Terrain caching fix that could cause problems for certain video cards (the “glowing red orbs” seen on the map are an indicator of this).
    Map – Fix for the low res terrain that appears the first time the game is run (terrain tiles would not load in anything but low-res the first time you play on some computer configurations)
    Strategic View – Crash fix for units rendering in background.
    Strategic View – Fix for selecting units either standing on a city plot, or garrisoned in the city plot.
    Eyefinity – Better handling of leader scenes when using Eyefinity displays.
    Tutorials – Many tutorial tweaks and adjustments.
    Multiple crash fixes.

When the patch is actually released (no ETA right now; I'm working on that!) I'll unstick and close this thread.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    oh hey they fixed it so the "avoid growth" button causes the city to avoid growing rather than what it did before

which was

uh....

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    "[Insert City Here] is starving!"

I'm excited that I will finally be able to sell obsolete buildings.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Now, the one thing they need to implement is being able to send food from one city to another if you have a trade route available. Have a penalty like for every 4 food only 1 gets there due to spoilage or loss, and you need to have a granary. Then have shit like refrigeration help that out, trains make it better, advanced shipyards, whatever. So eventually it could be like 2 sent = 1 received or even 1:1 if you have all kinds of improvements.

Hunter on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    Now, the one thing they need to implement is being able to send food from one city to another if you have a trade route available. Have a penalty like for every 4 food only 1 gets there due to spoilage or loss, and you need to have a granary. Then have shit like refrigeration help that out, trains make it better, advanced shipyards, whatever. So eventually it could be like 2 sent = 1 received or even 1:1 if you have all kinds of improvements.

:^: on this idea

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just hate having a settlement out on the fringes of my vast empire starve out because they're all boxed in on tundra, snow, and ice. I can't help it that I demand oil and aluminum for my war machine. There needs to be a fucking city there, and my citizens need food to be able to produce my horrific siege engines of mass destruction quickly and efficiently.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    End wrote: »

:^: on this idea

Solid idea, Hunter. I always find myself getting stuck with starving cities and it drives me bonkers.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    oh hey they fixed it so the "avoid growth" button causes the city to avoid growing rather than what it did before

which was

uh....

it was kind of a crummy option before--you couldn't NOT get the food output of a given tile if you worked it

"avoid growth" often gimped your gold and hammers by loading up on specialists instead of working your precious, precious tiles

it sounds like they've finally stepped back and realized there's a finite level of happiness in the game and played ad infinitum every empire would end up at -10 happiness

Captain K on
  • Options
    FilFil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just hate having a settlement out on the fringes of my vast empire starve out because they're all boxed in on tundra, snow, and ice. I can't help it that I demand oil and aluminum for my war machine. There needs to be a fucking city there, and my citizens need food to be able to produce my horrific siege engines of mass destruction quickly and efficiently.

Clearly the correct play here is maritime food engine into infinite city sprawl.

Fil on
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fil wrote: »

Clearly the correct play here is maritime food engine into infinite city sprawl.

I was thinking about an ICS strategy in this game. Since borders expand fairly slowly, ICS would get you a lot of tiles worked really fast, and hexes means you could have a perfectly-tiled grid of cities 2 spaces apart (terrain allowing, of course).

What's more, there are a fair few per-city bonuses, most notably maritime food but also trade routes, various bonuses to production, culture, and happiness from policies, etc. Meanwhile there are relatively few per-city penalties, pretty much just the happiness hit and social policy cost.

Best civs for it would probably be France, with a per-city culture bonus, or Rome to speed up construction. Alternately Greece or Siam to maximize city-state bonuses. Obviously you'd want to grab the Forbidden Palace early, and whichever Order policy it is that cuts another 50% off the per-city happiness penalty if you can get it.

The biggest obstacle is probably the policy cost increase, since you'd want to get quite a few different policies to maximize the benefits of having so many cities. Maybe it would make sense to stay small until you max out Liberty, then just pick and choose whatever you can get after that.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Now this is an interesting bit of info:
    The code tells the ai how to treat each other. An aggressive ai in the middle of less aggressive ai will force them to go to war, will keep demanding thing. Once the aggressive ai gets war, either you or another civ, it clicks off a few flags, on higher levels. Those flags allow the ai to really cheat, run a huge debt, build x units per turn without shields or gold. This was suppose to happen against you, but the other ai's in the game do not get the flag turned, leaving them defense less. The reason the ai's do not get the same bonus is faulty coding. They do not actually know, code wise, they are at war. They are actually being attacked one city at a time, with out the rest of the empire knowing what to do. So they do not actually start to fight back. That is why you are stuck with one super nation against you. It is still not unbeatable.
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1193336&postcount=30

Ferrus on