As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MOBA DOBA] League of Legends, Dreaming of E's and Morgana

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sona ult + MF ult = :x

Feldorn on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    i want to buy garen out of boredom but i don't think he was my kinda guy when i played him for free

but to be fair i played him f'real's DPS instead of "hurr durr sunfire garen outlasts everybody and gets away from everything"

lol yea the funny thing with garen is, if you want to play him "f'reals" dps, you go sunfire.

funny dude he is.

Edit: kinda like yoda.

oh man I just imagined a garen/yoda spawn, spinning around as 2' tall and screaming, "HRMM YES FROM DEMACIA I AM!"

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    VaLiantine wrote: »
    AP Sion feels wrong.

it's only for nerds val.

nerds with ginger balls.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feldorn wrote: »
    sona ult + MF ult = :x

One of my teams last night was Sona (me), Galio (a friend), Vlad (friend's friend), MF and a Nunu (I think, not certain).

The enemy team just sorta melted after team fights started ;P

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SoaL wrote: »
    Nanaki wrote: »
    Free Blitz week reminded me of a funny Blitz story I thought I'd share. One time a few months ago, a group of my friends were over and we all played some games of LoL together, like the nerdz we are. So its game time and the group of 5 of us are queued up together havin a grand old time. We get in this one game where we're doing pretty good, we kill a few mans and start pushing one of their inhib towers. After poking at the tower a bit, we notice they're respawning and decide to 'b'. Most of us go somewhere safe to do this, but not my good friend Jechrin. Instead he decides to stand a few feet away from their tower and push b there.

I'm all like "dude you're about to die". I see blitz coming in and I'm like "dude you're gona get grabbed and it's gonna be silly". Of course he's all like "I'm fine, don't worry".

So here I am watching him stand in the middle of a lane with blue circles around him as a blitz is getting closer and closer. The blitz gets close enough for a grab and goes for it. Blitz's hand attaches to Jech the exact second he gets ported back to base, but it follows him all the way there. So there's this HUGE robotic arm stretching across the entire map for a second, followed by Jechrin being pulled back through the woods accross the river all the way back to his original position to instantly die.

The room EXPLODES with laughter as Jechrin starts FREAKING OUT. My one friend who didn't see what happened kept asking us what was going on. All I could manage to tell him was "Jech got grabbed", to which he responded "So, that shit happens all the time". And I was all like, "you don't understand man, you just don't understand".

Most hilarious thing I've seen in this game yet. Also, most epic Blitz grab ever!!!

oh my god we need to replicate this

also fuck sona is so annoying

PLUCK PLUCK PLUCK PLUCK PLUCK

riot please install a mute on her instrument (another one)

holy fucking fuck, that is the most epic thing evar.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lol yea the funny thing with garen is, if you want to play him "f'reals" dps, you go sunfire.
    Not really, no.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh man, refuted

without even saying why

rak got owned I guess~

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    trutHtrutH Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Not really, no.

You're right, you can definitely play him DPS and go damage items.... and do awful.

The whole reason Garen is considered OP is because he doesn't need damage items, his ult still owns, his spin still owns, and the more sunfires you have the more damage your spin does due to the fact the effect that SUNFIRE CAPES have.

I used red again, just because I said fire, plz don't h8.

trutH on
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would not be against a Unique modifier to Sunfire Capes.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cutfang wrote: »

If they added an equivalent cape but with MR that stacked with the Sunfire, I doubt anyone would complain (rationally).

Edit: to clarify, each cape would be unique to itself but not each other, maxing the stacking out at 2 sunfires today.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tag wrote: »

If they added an equivalent cape but with MR that stacked, I doubt anyone would complain (rationally).

They implemented this once.

Then took it out the next patch.

I still remember in beta stacking sunfires on rammus and thinking I was the coolest guy ever.

trutH on
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tag wrote: »

If they added an equivalent cape but with MR that stacked with the Sunfire, I doubt anyone would ever buy anything else (rationally).

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    trutH wrote: »
    You're right, you can definitely play him DPS and go damage items.... and do awful.
    That speaks more to you as a player than Garen himself.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

your arguments are infallible.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, pretty much.

At least as infallible as similarly "just-so" statements like rak and trutH made.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not really, no.

Yes? I'm pretty sure awhile back we looked at damage output of a sunfire garen to a normal DPS build with dmg and crit%. We learned that sunfire garen puts out as much or more dmg than the normal DPS build, especially for the amount of gold needed for each.

I mean, if you want we can go 1v1 as Garen and see who wins. While our spins are on cooldown i'll still be burning you with sunfire. And you won't really be able to hurt me. And our ults still do the same amount of dmg.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    my penis is quite phallable

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Garen with damage items kinda feels like going melee Kassadin or AP Gragas.

Sure, it can work, but you're better off being a beefy character that does a lot of damage as opposed to a significantly less beefy character that can do a lot of damage.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes? I'm pretty sure awhile back we looked at damage output of a sunfire garen to a normal DPS build with dmg and crit%. We learned that sunfire garen puts out as much or more dmg than the normal DPS build, especially for the amount of gold needed for each.
    Just out of curiosity, what did you define as the "normal dps build"?
    I mean, if you want we can go 1v1 as Garen and see who wins. While our spins are on cooldown i'll still be burning you with sunfire. And you won't really be able to hurt me. And our ults still do the same amount of dmg.
    Why, are you stacking Magic Penetration runes so your Sunfires actually deal non-negligible damage?
    Slicer wrote: »
    Sure, it can work, but you're better off being a beefy character that does a lot of damage as opposed to a significantly less beefy character that can do a lot of damage.
    No, it's entirely situational whether you want to be a beefy slow damage character or a slightly less beefy burst damage character. It's not as simple as one being better than the other.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I actually don't play as Garen, I played him when he first came out, but once he started being the new OP class to be, I didn't.

And I'd be interested to see what you ratings are, who you play with, etc. Because obviously you are pro.

trutH on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    major league gamers in here

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, pretty much.

At least as infallible as similarly "just-so" statements like rak and trutH made.

well, i was really commenting on both statements.

but in the games i've played, from my personal experience, i've never seen a garen with things like, ghostblade and Iedge that scared me.

garen with randuin's and sunfire however...

Feldorn on
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    major league gamers in here

Yordle slash fic would fix it all.

Nisi on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Get some MR.

I mean, that's really all there is to it. Most Sunfire Garens don't even take MPen runes, so you can remove a good portion of the damage from Sunfire as well as the magic damage component of his Ult with a single item of MR.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Get some MR.

I mean, that's really all there is to it. Most Sunfire Garens don't even take MPen runes, so you can remove a good portion of the damage from Sunfire as well as the magic damage component of his Ult with a single item of MR.

Thats actually one of the advantages of Sunfire Garen. His damage is split between Physical and Magic.

The standard Sunfire Garen is Boots, Sunfire and Ghostblade. Add more Sunfires and MR items as appropriate to the enemy team.

(The Ghostblade is really important for chasing, CDR, arpen, AD. Everything needed to make sure he hits hard with Judgement and his melee isn't a paper fan)

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just out of curiosity, what did you define as the "normal dps build"?

Why, are you stacking Magic Penetration runes so your Sunfires actually deal negligible damage?

1. You're looking at my mage page, currently under construction. I stack Armor Pen for Garen.

2. Normal DPS build for Garen used to be DMG and a focus on Crit%. E can crit and a 75% or 100% crit chance with Infinity Edge used to be the way to go. Nothing else procs off of it, so life steals don't help and the attackspeed of E is fixed so that doesn't help. GhostBlade is one of the best items on him for a DPS build.

4 sunfires will have you doing 160 magic dps. And a Force of Nature gives you more than enough MR ontop of all the armor you get from the capes. If you don't need the Force of Nature or you feel like 3 sunfires is enough you get Atmas for some extra dmg.

Seriously i've played Garen since I started. When Melkster first talked about the Sunfire Garen I took the same side you did. But staying alive longer in team fights and actually being able to silence and spin multiple times without having to go heal or dieing has made Garen such a beast.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Get some MR.

i get that, and i do. but what he does it disrupt your team very well while being very difficult to bring down. he silences your caster/support while the rest of the team comes in behind him, he is too strong to just focus down because of courage and all his HP/mitigation. it isn't about the staggering amount of damage that the sunfires do. in fact, it never was.

like i said, i've never played with or against a DPS garen that did well. other characters do dps better than he does.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    jesus christ people a good garen will build these and only these: sunfire, fon, sunfire, youmuu's/guardian, more sunfire.

that's it.

end of discussion for garen builds.

you guys go on about garen like he's some super hard character to figure out with for item builds.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not really, no.

yes really, yes.

you just lost all credibility of anything you say - 10 points.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    absolute statements are the best, all the time

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When did they go back to the minimum of 4 player BS in practice games? Can't test stuff out now.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warning to all: If you see someone named "I killer" on your team, queue dodge immediately unless you want to lose a game because of an intentional feeder.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    absolute statements are the best, all the time

indeed.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i am (in)credible

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Get some MR.

i get that, and i do. but what he does it disrupt your team very well while being very difficult to bring down. he silences your caster/support while the rest of the team comes in behind him, he is too strong to just focus down because of courage and all his HP/mitigation. it isn't about the staggering amount of damage that the sunfires do. in fact, it never was.

like i said, i've never played with or against a DPS garen that did well. other characters do dps better than he does.

aaactuualllyyy it is kinda about the damage of the sunfires.

it's not the main perk, but it's definitely some damn good frosting on that muh.

the health and armor rules, but if you have 3 sunfire capes and you silence/judgment into some squishy, he be dead very soon.

if not I just LUL and drop ult on his hed.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spin
    Win

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stragint wrote: »
    When did they go back to the minimum of 4 player BS in practice games? Can't test stuff out now.

After the server issues last night.

Slicer on
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    i am (in)credibly terrible

Nisi on
  • Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Laning against Twitch as Kennen is pretty much the best thing

*uninvis* "Oh boy! I'm gonna kill Kennen"

*exhaust...yawn...dead twitch*

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    4 sunfires will have you doing 160 magic dps.
    Sure. Now consider magic resistance when you have 0 magic penetration. You're not Amumu, who applies magic resistance reduction on hit, and gets good benefit out of an Abyssal Sceptre.
    Seriously i've played Garen since I started. When Melkster first talked about the Sunfire Garen I took the same side you did. But staying alive longer in team fights and actually being able to silence and spin multiple times without having to go heal or dieing has made Garen such a beast.
    Sunfire Garen isn't bad, nor did I ever say he was bad. I simply said that building Garen for physical damage (Youmuu's, IE, Phage/FM+Atma's, Bloodthirster, for example) is a better build for pure damage output. Sunfire Garen is a very strong aoe off-tank, performing more or less the same role as Nasus in a slightly better way.
    jesus christ people a good garen will build these and only these: sunfire, fon, sunfire, youmuu's/guardian, more sunfire.
    You just lost all credibility about everything you ever say - 10 points.
    They vary how many are required by server load. So for example, at the moment on the EU servers it's 2, but when they were overloaded it was 4, and when they were coping fine, you could solo queue to test.

Bethryn on