Options

Xbox Live Update Preview Signups (Beta is live)

• Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Turned my 360 back on and it signed me in. Weird!

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know why my Xbox seems to re-download the new dashboard each time I turn it on? It takes ages and then that stupid (thankfully skippable) dashboard tutorial comes up.

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I always assumed it was patches as mine didn't do it all the time. Also the download and install times are much shorter then that of the original download

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It might just be my Australian internet, but it takes a fair while to get these "patches." And then the tutorial comes up each time, so that's why I think it's re-downloading the entire thing.

Edit: Okay, so it's not literally every time, I was wrong about that. But the patches take just as long as the initial new dashboard update did.

Also it appears that the marketplace is down, but that's probably not a dashboard problem.

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    It's an actual beta this time, so we're getting updated with revisions as it goes along.

Dashboard updates cannot be cleared so you are indeed downloading a new version each time.

They fixed the tutorial going off the screen in one of those over the last week

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah, yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the help!

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dammit.I can't remember my hotmail password (I changed it to something random and almost never use it), the email reset sends....to itself, because it was my first email. And the 'safety question' thing is incredibly vague and I can't get it to take.

Damn.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    also it seems that this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8dBGkswfU

has been removed entirely in the update

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So when is this being released to everyone? Id hope a few days before Kinect but...

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Everyone should be getting prompted for the update now

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Got the update.

I quite liked the way the old dashboard was structured, but I don't mind the new look, it'll probably grow on me in a little while.

On a side note, does anyone recognise the music that plays when your avatar clothes update? Because that was pretty catchy.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What? The update restructures the dashboard again? If they put on more ads I'm gonna be pissed.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No doubt. And the fact the thing scrolls AUTOMATICALLY to the damn Live blade pisses me off. I don't even have Live, stop forcing me to look at the damn Gold ads.

However, someone was barking over on Gamefaqs that MS added multi play to Silver users some time previous to this. Is that true?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks cleaner. I like it.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seems to load pages a little faster, that's good. I hate that if I hit the XBOX button it took 10 seconds to load all the items.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    glad my old themes still work, the black on the limbo theme looks nice with the white boxes. it also just seems a bit smoother and more responsive. my one semi complaint is the noise for opening the dashboard has been altered slightly.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    And since I'm asking questions:

Is there ANY way to block seeing all the damn add-ons for those music games? That's all I see on the new releases tab.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It refuses to download for me. Which is obnoxious because I'm not allowed to use Live at all until I do.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ESPN app doesn't seem to work, despite me being on TWC and that being listed as a supported ISP. Kind of shitty there's no way to force it to check after you initially install it, this was something I was looking forward to on the update and now it's just pointless.

Allforce on
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So if I have a Zune pass on another email account I can't use it with my xbox profile? I don't see anywhere where you can add your current zune account, it just wants you to buy a pass for my current live profile....

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so, is there any compiled list of what the update has changed?

e: old dashboard looked better

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The biggest change is the codec for the xbox live parties. You can pipe music now without it sounding like utter garbage.

I like the new interface honestly. Some of it is a step in the wrong direction but sending a message seemed faster.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    JimmyhatesyouJimmyhatesyou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. The update seems to be failing for me as well. No error code provided. I cleared some additional storage space from the HDD, rebooted and checked my network connection. /shrug

Jimmyhatesyou on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm also hitting a wall with this update. My connection is fine, plenty of space, but when it gets tot he download bar it throws an error saying that it can't download the update.

I'm not seeing anything Microsoft side to explain, any fixes or explanations?

Raynaga on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Haven't spent more than five minutes with it yet, but I like the flatter look.

Echo on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ooh, another reason for me to leave work early. Shiny new thing is shiny and new!

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ok, for the other people experiencing the fail to update issue if you clear out your system cache (System Settings, Memory, Y, Clear Cache) and then restart your console it seems to fix the problem.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    looks alright

I like how music on my PC loads faster

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't think I prefer the new look to the old, but certainly appreciate the increased speed and fluidity.

Prefer the old-style Avatars though, can't get mine looking right now :(

Also getting some kind of 'problem changing your avatar's clothes' error from the Marketplace.

Think I like the new Marketplace in terms of games, XBLIG is a bit weird to find but navigating through the menus is much better and everything else is well organised in terms of groupings.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like it. The store will take some getting used to, and I can't help but wonder how indie devs feel about not having Indie Games as a top-level category. Still, I love me some clean white and green boxes, and the changes to the My XBox pane are great.

Have avatars changed at all? I thought I heard they would be changing slightly, but my dude looks the same. I did get an update to the store, though, so maybe clothes and accessories have a bit more detail or something.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like the new look, what's this I hear about parties being better? Also, is this the update that lets you have more friends as well?

A shame that the ESPN stuff looks a bit grainy but it's watchable. I'll have to see how the live stuff works on Wed when they show some NBA games.

e: nevermind, just needed to buffer a bit before the hd stream kicked in.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, so far this update is horrible if we're judging it on a "It works" scale.

I got home with Fable 3 today. The update wouldn't install until I deleted the system cache and restarted, which itself took some intensive google-fu to find out. None of the extra content will allow itself to be downloaded because of a Marketplace error. The game update won't download either, again via Xbox Live.

I've had this thing since 11 am, and have yet to be able to play it. I am sure these things will be ironed out over the next few days, but constant slowdowns when accessing anything XboxLive related, when your update is because you are expanding XboxLive, is pretty ridiculous.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Raynaga, it's microsoft. What do you expect? Them to actually get it right?

(If any microsoft exec reads this- I'm sorry your service has constant screw ups and your bureaucracy and internal red tape is so obvious to outsiders that it's pathetic)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Incidentally, thanks for that, because I never would have guessed that I needed to clear my cache to get the install to work.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I refuse to clear my cache just to get new fucking graphics. Downloading all those updates again is a pain in the ass.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have they done anything about having more than one controller signed in to a profile? I thought I read a rumor about it but I may be wrong.

I'd like to be able to switch between my steering wheel and gamepad without having to pull the cable out of one and pop the battery off the other.

edit.
    Ability to sign-out other controllers in the sign-in UI – We’re adding the ability to sign-out profiles on other controllers in the sign-in UI within the Guide. This is especially useful when playing games like Rock Band.

I'm not sure this works the way I want it to, but I haven't had the xbox on since reading this.

Pete0r on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It looks good, but is gonna take some getting used to. Things are faster, which I like.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Raynaga, it's microsoft. What do you expect? Them to actually get it right?

(If any microsoft exec reads this- I'm sorry your service has constant screw ups and your bureaucracy and internal red tape is so obvious to outsiders that it's pathetic)

Its now 5pm. Marketplace downloads are still failing. None of the code redemption stuff works.

I've traded a working console for a console with inoperable web connectivity and an ugly graphical interface, with no option to do otherwise.

Awesome.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Have avatars changed at all? I thought I heard they would be changing slightly, but my dude looks the same. I did get an update to the store, though, so maybe clothes and accessories have a bit more detail or something.

The proportions of your dude have been altered to work with Kinect games, so your body and limbs should be a tad longer.

As for the general download issues

http://twitter.com/XboxSupport

Took a quick look here, they're suggesting powering down your console and network hardware then turning it back on (a classic solution) or failing that being patient due to server overload (although I don't remember this being a problem last update).

Hopefully this gets sorted out soon.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really, really wish there was a version for people who don't have or use Kinect so we wouldn't have to use this blinding thing. It's really too bright.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png