Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[INTERNET DATING] It's like video games, except not

15657585961

Posts

  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I guess I will be the odd one out and say that if she strikes you as being bitchy, she probably is. A lot of the nuances are lost if you just type out "She said this" since we weren't there and can't hear her tone of voice, read her body language, etc. Did it seem like she was trying to offer the girl who was "too poor" useful advice, or was she trying to cut her down to size? If it seemed like the latter, well, that's probably exactly what was going on.

    Also, the Facebook photo thing . . . WTF.

    Edit: Agree that the important thing is how YOU feel about her, regardless of whether she's a bitch or not. No point in dating someone you don't like.

    LadyM on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A guy I messaged just messaged me back telling me he really enjoyed my profile. Then he apologized for the message being so short because he was on his phone and promised to send "a more proper message" once he got to a computer.

    That's a good sign, right?

    Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, pretty much.

    Captain Carrot on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    A guy I messaged just messaged me back telling me he really enjoyed my profile. Then he apologized for the message being so short because he was on his phone and promised to send "a more proper message" once he got to a computer.

    That's a good sign, right?

    I don't really know how to take that. On the one hand that could be kind of clingy/desperate/creepy because...why not just wait until you're at your computer to respond? It's akin to calling someone to let them know you're about to call them. On the other hand it could be kind of charming/flattering in that he like you enough to want to respond right away rather than wait.

    So who knows. I guess you'll be able to figure it out as the messaging progresses.

    moniker on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    A guy I messaged just messaged me back telling me he really enjoyed my profile. Then he apologized for the message being so short because he was on his phone and promised to send "a more proper message" once he got to a computer.

    That's a good sign, right?

    I don't really know how to take that. On the one hand that could be kind of clingy/desperate/creepy because...why not just wait until you're at your computer to respond? It's akin to calling someone to let them know you're about to call them. On the other hand it could be kind of charming/flattering in that he like you enough to want to respond right away rather than wait.

    So who knows. I guess you'll be able to figure it out as the messaging progresses.

    Here's a perfect example of someone completely misusing those terms

    This type of shit happens all the time and it annoys the fuck out of me

    Nothing about that is clingy, desperate, or creepy in the fucking slightest.

    Nocturne on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    A guy I messaged just messaged me back telling me he really enjoyed my profile. Then he apologized for the message being so short because he was on his phone and promised to send "a more proper message" once he got to a computer.

    That's a good sign, right?

    I don't really know how to take that. On the one hand that could be kind of clingy/desperate/creepy because...why not just wait until you're at your computer to respond? It's akin to calling someone to let them know you're about to call them. On the other hand it could be kind of charming/flattering in that he like you enough to want to respond right away rather than wait.

    So who knows. I guess you'll be able to figure it out as the messaging progresses.

    Here's a perfect example of someone completely misusing those terms

    This type of shit happens all the time and it annoys the fuck out of me

    Nothing about that is clingy, desperate, or creepy in the fucking slightest.

    I disagree.

    moniker on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's exactly the same as that fucking "Wait 3 days or else you'll come off as clingy/desperate"

    Those words do not mean the same thing as interested goddammit

    Nocturne on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dude moniker you DO know there's an iPhone app for okc

    I'm using it right now!

    Rent on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also for Android

    But obviously if you use your phone rather than a proper computer you're a creeper

    Nocturne on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    It's exactly the same as that fucking "Wait 3 days or else you'll come off as clingy/desperate"

    Clingy does not mean the same thing as interested goddammit

    No, it's entirely different from 'wait 3 days' because it isn't saying "wait a proscribed length of time" but rather "don't send a message apologizing for the fact that you sent a message and detailing how you're going to send a different, better message at some later date."

    moniker on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Frankly, even if it was desperate/clingy, I've been dateless for long enough that that might be okay. :lol:

    Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Dude moniker you DO know there's an iPhone app for okc

    I'm using it right now!

    Yes, I use the Android one when I'm bored on the train at times. If I get a message and want to respond back I'll either type out what I wanted to say or wait until I am able to type out what I wanted to say. I don't send a message expressing my intent to message someone later that expresses what I want to say.

    moniker on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Dude moniker you DO know there's an iPhone app for okc

    I'm using it right now!

    Yes, I use the Android one when I'm bored on the train at times. If I get a message and want to respond back I'll either type out what I wanted to say or wait until I am able to type out what I wanted to say. I don't send a message expressing my intent to message someone later that expresses what I want to say.

    I see what you're saying but that to me just states that dude is socially awkward not a creeper

    Rent on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And also depending on what exactly the message was, not even that awkward.

    "Hey man, I really liked your profile. You seem cool and cute, we should chat sometime. Sorry this message is short, I'm on my phone, but I will message you for real later."

    I see absolutely nothing awkward, creepy, or clingy about something like that.

    It's called expressing interest in someone. That's it. Just because he could have waited and done it in more detail does not make him creepy.

    Nocturne on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle Will I ever be more than I've always been? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want one full page without someone giving out horrible advice on how to date.

    That message was not creepy.

    Almost everything about dating can be interpreted as creepy IF YOU WANT TO. It won't be if you're interested, it could be if you're not.

    OnTheLastCastle on
    I'm a published writer and have a very unique and interesting writing style. I'm also sharp and witty. My profile is well-written and hilarious. My messages are likewise brilliant. And I've been doing this stuff for...four or five years. I know what "works" in terms of good internet dating writing. "Works" in the sense of leading to a "date" with a human female.

    twitch.tv/onthelastcastle
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    next message imma send will be "Hey I find you completely uninteresting. Lets arrange to be in the same time and place, but always stand facing away from each other so that nothing creepy can happen"

    Joolander on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    next message imma send will be "Hey I find you completely uninteresting. Lets arrange to be in the same time and place, but always stand facing away from each other so that nothing creepy can happen"

    Yes, because that is exactly comparable to apologizing for the fact that you contacted someone.

    moniker on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    next message imma send will be "Hey I find you completely uninteresting. Lets arrange to be in the same time and place, but always stand facing away from each other so that nothing creepy can happen"

    Yes, because that is exactly comparable to apologizing for the fact that you contacted someone.

    Apologizing for not having a more substantial message, not for the message existing.

    Captain Carrot on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jesus christ on a popsicle, I can't believe how long that food discussion went on.

    Spent half my day at work today chatting to the girl who is off on a business trip on gchat.:)

    Also, I think Moniker has a point. Not that its creepy maybe, but it is a weird way to do things, and arguably makes a poor first impression, to say "Hi, here is a short crappy message, I will send you a better one later" I wouldn't recommend anyone here take that approach.

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright, Blackjack, in my opinion, here's what you should do...
    I want one full page without someone giving out horrible advice on how to date.

    Oh, never mind then.

    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I should make a profile, but I have no good pictures. unfortunate

    how jacked do you have to be to put down jacked for body type

    Jars on
  • AgesAges Registered User
    edited November 2010
    It'd be easier if your name was Jack. Then if someone questions you for not being "jacked" enough, you could show them your driver's license and then just punch them in the boob.

    Ages on
  • wazillawazilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Retro sends the best messages!

    wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    damn right i do!


    oh man, i had a great first date tonite. i gotta say, i haven't had a really good first date where i clicked with the guy off the bat in a long, long time.

    retrovm on
    Blackjack wrote: »
    It's like putting an entire bottle of wine inside your five hour energy.
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man this middle eastern chick whose profile I really dug messaged me back

    Everything's turning up milhouse

    Rent on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »

    Rent: I don't think it's that weird -- she thinks you're cute and apparently has been enjoying the conversation. ?

    I mean I think it's weird because I've never had a girl aggressively pursue me before. Especially not a hot 18-year-old asian one

    Dont question it, man. First rule of Lucid dreaming is not to pick things apart, just go with it.

    The only concern I'd have here is...

    Is she ACTUALLY 18?

    Really enthusiastic "18" year old screams underage to me, so I'd at least be a BIT careful there to be safe. Otherwise, go for it.

    ManetherenWolf on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Okay so there's a girl who's into Breaking Bad that I kinda like

    Should I message her asking about if she's seen The Walking Dead? That seems like a good opening message, inoffensive but open to other conversational topics

    In case you're wondering the conclusion to this turns out she hasn't and she took my recommendation and thinks it's "Soooooooo good"

    Really enthusiastic "18" year old screams underage to me, so I'd at least be a BIT careful there to be safe. Otherwise, go for it.

    Yeah but...she's honest about being a senior in high school, you'd think if she was faking she'd lie about that too

    Rent on
  • AgesAges Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Ask to see her ID before you start seducing her.

    Ages on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm not into the whole "bang on first date" thing

    so that shouldn't be an issue

    Rent on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    plus who wants to pretend to be 18 so they can go out with a pasty white 20-year-old fifty miles away from them?

    I mean 20 is nothing, I can't even get her booze

    Rent on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Didn't realize you were only 20. That makes it a bit more reasonable then. When you are 28 like me, that would be a major warning flag.

    Also:

    Cute librarian that was into Board and Card games gave me a read/deleted. I was really hoping that one of all of the people I've messaged would at least reply back, even if just to become friends. We had a lot in common.

    ManetherenWolf on
  • AgesAges Registered User
    edited November 2010
    My point still stands -- but, no offense to you, it does seem odd that she'd message someone fifty miles away from her. Are there no suitable bachelors close by?

    Ages on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fifty miles is hardly the other side of the world.

    Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone wrote me back! In a one-line message answering exactly the initial question I had asked and asking no follow-ups of any kind. Is that a good or a bad thing?

    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    Someone wrote me back! In a one-line message answering exactly the initial question I had asked and asking no follow-ups of any kind. Is that a good or a bad thing?

    I'd ask another, you don't have anything to lose.

    The Black Hunter on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Oh man this middle eastern chick whose profile I really dug messaged me back

    Everything's turning up milhouse

    milhouse2-800.gif

    JustinSane07 on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ages wrote: »
    My point still stands -- but, no offense to you, it does seem odd that she'd message someone fifty miles away from her. Are there no suitable bachelors close by?

    I'm not questioning it

    Rent on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2010
    Didn't realize you were only 20. That makes it a bit more reasonable then. When you are 28 like me, that would be a major warning flag.

    Also:

    Cute librarian that was into Board and Card games gave me a read/deleted. I was really hoping that one of all of the people I've messaged would at least reply back, even if just to become friends. We had a lot in common.

    I read this as "libertarian" for some reason and was about to ask you what the fuck you were doing trying to date a libertarian

    Fartacus on
  • wazillawazilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What's wrong with dating a libertarian? I also wonder if my Reagan shirt makes people think I'm a republican. I have really never thought of that before

    wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    I read this as "libertarian" for some reason and was about to ask you what the fuck you were doing trying to date a libertarian
    There are advantages to dating libertarians. If you're having sex and want to skip foreplay, you can tell them to rely on the invisible handjob of the market.

    Richy on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.