As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    Catshade wrote: »
    I'm wondering when they'll consider Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines old enough to put on the site.

Probably when Activision will consider the game old enough to cut its price to $9.99.

Which will be the day hell freezes over, if Steam sale trends have any indication. I don't know what it is about that particular game, that they never want to discount it. It's like it's some kind of inside joke to them now.

It's been available for $5 or $10 several times.

Not within the past couple of years, it hasn't, or it would be in my Steam list.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bloodlines was last on sale on Steam on Halloween 2008 though it has been on sale at Direct2Drive a few times.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm wondering when they'll consider Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines old enough to put on the site.

Probably when Activision will consider the game old enough to cut its price to $9.99.

Which will be the day hell freezes over, if Steam sale trends have any indication. I don't know what it is about that particular game, that they never want to discount it. It's like it's some kind of inside joke to them now.

Not within the past couple of years, it hasn't, or it would be in my Steam list.

...on D2D

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Weekend promo: All Cyan games (Myst series) on sale, 50% off if you buy them all (or complete your collection) or 30% off individually.

Catshade on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on SWAT 4.

And once SWAT 4 comes out, we need to get another co-op thread going.

This. A million times this.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It seems the only obstacle for SWAT 4 is price. Direct2Drive still sells them for $15 (SWAT 4) and $20 (SWAT 4 Gold).

Catshade on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

...on D2D

Steam, GOG, or nothing. Preferably Steam.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inzigna wrote: »

SWAT4, making you wish there were more police/fire/ambulance sims.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inzigna wrote: »

SWAT4, making you wish there were more police/fire/ambulance sims.

"Open and clear! Water balloons on entry!"

subedii on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Goddamnit GoG, if you can release the Police Quest series then be good sports and give me Quest for Glory I-V.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the update.

I've never played the QfG games, and have been wanting to for a long, long time.

Tamin on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seriously, there have to be some kind of legal snafu with the Quest for Glory series since it's the only Quest series that didn't get a anthology re-release a few years back. Shame really, since it's by far my favourite of the Sierra game series.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So no one's done Police Quest? They were kind of unique back in the day, and the deaths were truly hilarious.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So no one's done Police Quest? They were kind of unique back in the day, and the deaths were truly hilarious.
    Well, except for the failing to do a walk-around on your cruiser. That was just lame. Not showering before your shift was hilarious though.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Well, except for the failing to do a walk-around on your cruiser. That was just lame. Not showering before your shift was hilarious though.

That wasn't lame at all. It was an important lesson in RTFM.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm playing it in small doses, otherwise it begins to frustrate the shit out of me.

I just arrested some dude for dui, that was fun. I do hope that me letting the girl go without a ticket for speeding doesn't come back to bite me later. I can sort of rememeber these games totally screwing you for random choices that you made hours earlier.

I'm half expecting to get run over by a red sports car right at the end and message pops up "You should have given her a ticket you twit. Start over"

Maximum on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Is this somehow related to police quest: swat 2? Because that game took thousands of hours away from my childhood.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MaximumJ wrote: »

I'm playing it in small doses, otherwise it begins to frustrate the shit out of me.

I just arrested some dude for dui, that was fun. I do hope that me letting the girl go without a ticket for speeding doesn't come back to bite me later. I can sort of rememeber these games totally screwing you for random choices that you made hours earlier.
    BWAHAHAHA! Oh boy, you are about to get your first lesson in how the PQ games work.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

BWAHAHAHA! Oh boy, you are about to get your first lesson in how the PQ games work.

:(

Maximum on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seriously, there have to be some kind of legal snafu with the Quest for Glory series since it's the only Quest series that didn't get a anthology re-release a few years back. Shame really, since it's by far my favourite of the Sierra game series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Glory#Collections

Nope, it was also released as an anthology.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Glory#Collections

Nope, it was also released as an anthology.
    That anthology was released a few years before Quest for Glory 5. The collections I'm talking about are the re-releases of Police Quest, Space Quest and King's Quest that were released two or three years ago. The Larry series may have been part of that as well but I'm not sure if I ever saw them in a store. The Quest for Glory games didn't get the same treatment so something must be preventing whoever own Sierra's games nowadays to re-release them.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Activision owns sierra now. So, yeah, not holding my breath

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/policequest/policequest.htm

Just went live, worth a read if you'd like to know more.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The American vs. Japanese screenshot comparisons are hilarious.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Getting murdered repeatedly by a naked man who thought he was from outer space was a highlight too. Bonds has the resiliency of toliet paper.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm half expecting to get run over by a red sports car right at the end and message pops up "You should have given her a ticket you twit. Start over"
    I'll be genuinely surprised if that doesn't lead to a death or game over shortly. The main lesson of the PQ series is "if you break even the slightest rule your head will explode and your family will die and your pets will be eaten by lions". I may have downplayed the consequences a tad.

Glal on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The American vs. Japanese screenshot comparisons are hilarious.

Their eyes stare into my soul.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    I'll be genuinely surprised if that doesn't lead to a death or game over shortly. The main lesson of the PQ series is "if you break even the slightest rule your head will explode and your family will die and your pets will be eaten by lions". I may have downplayed the consequences a tad.
    From the Hardcoregaming website:
    Police Quest is a bit different in the way it approaches its problem solving - rather than obtuse inventory puzzles, practically every obstacles can be overcome by following proper police procedure. Some of these make perfect logical sense - don't handcuff a perpetrator from the front, don't let pretty blondes try to flirt themselves out of a traffic ticket, and don't bring your firearm into the prison when processing them.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On the lady speeder:
    I'm pretty sure the only thing different happens if you call the phone number she gave you, and even then it's just a funny conversation, not a game over. It's been many years since I've done it, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Meh. I reloaded a previous save to just be sure. Made it to the part where they make you a narco detective, think I'll call it a night for now.

Feels kind of funny having to take notes during a game. You really take for granted how hand holding modern games are when you play this.

Maximum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    On the lady speeder:
    I'm pretty sure the only thing different happens if you call the phone number she gave you, and even then it's just a funny conversation, not a game over. It's been many years since I've done it, though.
    Nope, it's a game over, IIRC.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On the lady speeder:
    Nope, it's a game over, IIRC.

I remember in the 3rd Game (which I still have somewhere) if you didn't do absolutely everything right procedurally (tickets for everybody!) you couldn't get the warrant from the judge before the end and were stuck in an unwinnable state.

Of course, it's an adventure game so once you know what to do it's maybe an hour to get back to where you were, but still...

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

Of course, it's an adventure game so once you know what to do it's maybe an hour to get back to where you were, but still...

Yeah but that's when you get sloppy and make mistakes because you're speeding through to get back where you were.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    New release: Dark Reign + Expansions

Any thoughts about this? It looks like a cross between Total Annihilation and Starcraft.

Catshade on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I found it very dull when it was first released, but I also got Total Annihilation around the same time and nothing can really compare to that. :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On the one hand, I'm sad I can't play PQ AMIGA style the way my mother did so long ago, on the other hand {japan translation}.\
    O_o

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    floatstarpxfloatstarpx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never played Police Quest - I guess now is my chance!
    Just been playing through the Tex Murphy games (they did a special on them there) - and they really grabbed me..
    any suggestions where to start with PQ? (other than at the beginning, if that's the obvious answer...)

floatstarpx on
    Stick Unleashed - sticktacular stick battles, with vehicles, spaceships, wall-jump madness, multiple weapons and a built in level editor!! (co-op/vs 1-4 player X360)
    Also - I <3 Excruciating Guitar Voyage.
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RBach wrote: »
    I found it very dull when it was first released, but I also got Total Annihilation around the same time and nothing can really compare to that. :)

Ditto. Too quick, too simple. Starcraft and TA are really much better in every way.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just been playing through the Tex Murphy games (they did a special on them there) - and they really grabbed me..
    any suggestions where to start with PQ? (other than at the beginning, if that's the obvious answer...)

Just play them in order. The first 3 are all 1 big story and the 4th one is probably better played after those.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    floatstarpxfloatstarpx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Just play them in order. The first 3 are all 1 big story and the 4th one is probably better played after those.

cheers :) that's this Sunday sorted then! Didn't know the first three all connected together.

floatstarpx on
    Stick Unleashed - sticktacular stick battles, with vehicles, spaceships, wall-jump madness, multiple weapons and a built in level editor!! (co-op/vs 1-4 player X360)
    Also - I <3 Excruciating Guitar Voyage.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I loved Dark Reign. AI the likes of which I had never seen before and really haven't seen since in some ways.

TychoCelchuuu on