As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never played Police Quest - I guess now is my chance!
    Just been playing through the Tex Murphy games (they did a special on them there) - and they really grabbed me..
    any suggestions where to start with PQ? (other than at the beginning, if that's the obvious answer...)

This and print out a map, a data sheet of police codes, and police procedures. You know, like a real cop.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I loved Dark Reign. AI the likes of which I had never seen before and really haven't seen since in some ways.

A forgotten game basically. Still great fun imo.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wednesday surprise release! The Last Express - $5.99

Catshade on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All right! That happened way sooner than anybody expected. I guess DotEmu sales petered out pretty quick then? Oh well, it really does belong on GOG.

edit: Dotemu still says "Only Available on DotEmu". They need to fix that ;-)

editX2: watch out for the surprise NSFW screenshot on GOG if you start hitting next on the viewer. :oops:

editX3: Oh hey, it's 4$ cheaper on GOG. That's pretty cool.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Last Express is one of the finest and most atmospheric adventure game ever created.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I managed to get a few hours into Jagged Alliance 2 last night and for the most part I'm loving it. Everything seems to play out in an obvious, realistic sense.

If you guy gets shot he can get patched up to stop the bleeding during the battle or afterwards, but he'll need to take some time off to see a doctor and rest to fully heal. If you don't, he'll be weaker (less health) permanently.
    Your Mercs need sleep.
    If you take the time to line up a shot, it's a little easier to hit the same place with subsequent shots.
    If you order new supplies and ask for them to be delivered to a suspicious looking warehouse, some of your items may go missing and you can attempt to threaten the warehouse owner for your missing items.

And a whole bunch of other stuff I probably haven't experienced yet. The interface is a little clunky and it physically takes a bit of time to go anywhere/do anything (as the game plays out in real time, but can be sped up), but I'm much preferring it to something like Fallout Tactics, where just about everything I've talked about isn't included, with a focus almost exclusively on squad tactics and RPG elements. JA2 does both of those and so much more!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »
    So I managed to get a few hours into Jagged Alliance 2 last night and for the most part I'm loving it. Everything seems to play out in an obvious, realistic sense.

If you guy gets shot he can get patched up to stop the bleeding during the battle or afterwards, but he'll need to take some time off to see a doctor and rest to fully heal. If you don't, he'll be weaker (less health) permanently.
    Your Mercs need sleep.
    If you take the time to line up a shot, it's a little easier to hit the same place with subsequent shots.
    If you order new supplies and ask for them to be delivered to a suspicious looking warehouse, some of your items may go missing and you can attempt to threaten the warehouse owner for your missing items.

And a whole bunch of other stuff I probably haven't experienced yet. The interface is a little clunky and it physically takes a bit of time to go anywhere/do anything (as the game plays out in real time, but can be sped up), but I'm much preferring it to something like Fallout Tactics, where just about everything I've talked about isn't included, with a focus almost exclusively on squad tactics and RPG elements. JA2 does both of those and so much more!

Yeah Fallout: Tactics was pretty much slated at the time for the fact that JA2 had already done all of that better. Plus F:T's maps were pretty linear, you didn't really get as much opportunity for things like flanking or other manoeuvres. Typically each section you got to, the enemy was already set up in a specific manner. JA2's combat was a lot more diverse and free-flowing, you were allowed to approach locations from different angles, and the maps allowed for non-linear play since they were more open and not just walled off battle bubbles.

Also: Send flowers to Meduna. :wink:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I found $75 in a locker that doesn't seem to add itself to the ~$20,000 I have in my bank (it's an inventory item). Maybe this is like Zimbabwe and the currency isn't worth jack, or bribe money?

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember that

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    MaximumJ wrote: »
    So no one's done Police Quest? They were kind of unique back in the day, and the deaths were truly hilarious.
    I'm playing it in small doses, otherwise it begins to frustrate the shit out of me.
    I just arrested some dude for dui, that was fun. I do hope that me letting the girl go without a ticket for speeding doesn't come back to bite me later. I can sort of rememeber these games totally screwing you for random choices that you made hours earlier.
    I'm half expecting to get run over by a red sports car right at the end and message pops up "You should have given her a ticket you twit. Start over"
    I'll be genuinely surprised if that doesn't lead to a death or game over shortly. The main lesson of the PQ series is "if you break even the slightest rule your head will explode and your family will die and your pets will be eaten by lions". I may have downplayed the consequences a tad.

Or even worse...you miss an element of the game that won't allow you to proceed any further...right around the time where you've messed up your save games and have to start way way back.

I personally LOVED the PQ series. PQ2 was by far my fav - brutally difficult, had to have MAJOR attention to the details, and the story was great.

Think I might buy this again for nostalgia <3

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    The Last Express is one of the finest and most atmospheric adventure game ever created.

I gave up after a while. It seemed like nothing much was happening that involved me. It was more like I could wander around and watch other people hang out, but I couldn't really talk to anyone, or interact with anything.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I found $75 in a locker that doesn't seem to add itself to the ~$20,000 I have in my bank (it's an inventory item). Maybe this is like Zimbabwe and the currency isn't worth jack, or bribe money?

There a little $ icon in your merc's inventory, take the money and put it on the icon and you deposit it into your account. Likewise, you use this to remove money from your account so you can buy things. This is important for several towns to the west.

Also...one quest reward sends you into a mine, you know it when you get it. Don't get the reward until you are ready to kill a lot of people in that town, in fact, make a save before you take the reward so you can go back before you had to kill everyone in that town.

Jumping on large roofs and picking off military at night from the safety and medical support of your team is quite delicious.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

There a little $ icon in your merc's inventory, take the money and put it on the icon and you deposit it into your account. Likewise, you use this to remove money from your account so you can buy things. This is important for several towns to the west.

Just like you'd expect it to work in real life haha, I should've guessed. I'll keep that in mind, too. I'm heading to Drassen now to "liberate" their mine. It's still early days in the game so I'm assuming this isn't the one you're referring to.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I'm talking about a mine that is part of a reward.

Oh, and listen to what the mercs you hire say, it really provides information about their strengths and weaknesses. Who do you have right now?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    So no one's done Police Quest? They were kind of unique back in the day, and the deaths were truly hilarious.
    I'm playing it in small doses, otherwise it begins to frustrate the shit out of me.
    I just arrested some dude for dui, that was fun. I do hope that me letting the girl go without a ticket for speeding doesn't come back to bite me later. I can sort of rememeber these games totally screwing you for random choices that you made hours earlier.
    I'm half expecting to get run over by a red sports car right at the end and message pops up "You should have given her a ticket you twit. Start over"
    I'll be genuinely surprised if that doesn't lead to a death or game over shortly. The main lesson of the PQ series is "if you break even the slightest rule your head will explode and your family will die and your pets will be eaten by lions". I may have downplayed the consequences a tad.

Or even worse...you miss an element of the game that won't allow you to proceed any further...right around the time where you've messed up your save games and have to start way way back.

I personally LOVED the PQ series. PQ2 was by far my fav - brutally difficult, had to have MAJOR attention to the details, and the story was great.

Oh man, I loved the Police Quest series. The best way to play was by the text parser, the later VGA mouse interface just robbed so much of what made Police Quest fun and funny for me. The game designers pretty much thought of *everything* that a typical kid would be tempted to type in.

PQ2 was my favorite, since it was the first one I played. It taught me the importance of zeroing the pistol every day :)

Akilae on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Oh, and listen to what the mercs you hire say, it really provides information about their strengths and weaknesses. Who do you have right now?

I've got Buns, Grizzly, MD, Ira and... that "German" guy with an incredibly bad German/American accent, his name escapes me.

Would it make sense to move either MD or Ira (both medics) around with a Squad, but keep them in a support role? I mean, while my Squad 1 is going and shooting mans, they can stay out of the action and train/practice, and when the battle is over they switch over to Doctor mode?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Akilae wrote: »

Oh man, I loved the Police Quest series. The best way to play was by the text parser, the later VGA mouse interface just robbed so much of what made Police Quest fun and funny for me. The game designers pretty much thought of *everything* that a typical kid would be tempted to type in.

PQ2 was my favorite, since it was the first one I played. It taught me the importance of zeroing the pistol every day :)

I remember playing PQ 1 in black and white graphics. Walking around with blocky feet and a towel on. I remember the game quickly ending when you stepped out of the mens change area in only a towel.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I've got Buns, Grizzly, MD, Ira and... that "German" guy with an incredibly bad German/American accent, his name escapes me.

Would it make sense to move either MD or Ira (both medics) around with a Squad, but keep them in a support role? I mean, while my Squad 1 is going and shooting mans, they can stay out of the action and train/practice, and when the battle is over they switch over to Doctor mode?

Personally I used to use Ira for training militias. I've heard other people used her through the game and just developed her shooting skills and things as the game went on. Basically the more your characters do something the better they get at it. Shooting > marksmanship, stealthily creeping about > agility, and so forth. The lower their skill, the faster it goes up. Another way is to have them train in something. This goes much faster if you've got someone more skilled in the subject than them, and set them as a trainer.

I'd say if you're going to keep them in your main squad, you want them to be able to fight. You can either develop their skills along those lines, or just hire out better mercenaries when you get the chance and funding.

You can also have up to four squads of 6 mercenaries, but whether you do is really up to personal preference. Personally I stuck with just one or two squad throughout the game. The more squads you have, the less combat they each individually see, the less levelling up they do. One squad is perfectly fine for the entire game. Two allows for more options and simply raw firepower when you're assaulting a sector. Like if you set two squads to assault a sector, you can do so from different sides and so they'll come in from different sides of the map. The UI should ask if you want them to enter the sector simultaneously.

subedii on
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Early weekend promo: Topware Interactive games up to 50% off
    • Dream Pinball 3D
    • Earth 2140 Trilogy
    • Earth 2150 Trilogy
    • Earth 2160
    • Enclave
    • Gorky 17
    • Jack Orlando: A Cinematic Adventure (DC)
    • Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire
    • Knights and Merchants: The Peasants Rebellion
    • Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator
    • Two Worlds

Catshade on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Haha, Two Worlds. That game is neither good nor old. And barely even a game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CombatHermitCombatHermit Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Two Worlds amused me nonetheless, despite lots of bad critic. Gameplay elements are pretty nifty if you ask me. (Then again, did play the epic edition and I'm easily amused when I get to toss around magic and smite baddies with melee weaponry so eh).

:)

CombatHermit on
    Famous last words:
    "Just take a step closer lads - It'll make it easier." - Erskine Childers
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Every time I play PQ2, I get a few more points than the previous game, but I've never gotten a perfect score. Just finishing the game is nowhere near enough.
    Jumping on large roofs and picking off military at night from the safety and medical support of your team is quite delicious.

That's pretty much my tactic for every single fight. Get on a roof with someone at each direction, get their attention, and pick them off as they come at you.

I didn't realize GoG had Two Worlds. I was actually tempted to buy the Epic Edition, but it's $20 on Steam. I'll probably get it with this sale. $6.99 ain't bad at all.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Two Worlds looks interesting. Is it functionally an Oblivion clone?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh boy, really considering a Police Quest Let's Play. It would be truly hideous.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

If anyone purchases Dream Pinball 3D at all I will cut them. What utter garbage of a game, especially when the Pro Pinball series is on GOG. Seriously, I can't understand why someone would rather buy and eat a shit sandwich instead of playing the fillet mignon of pinball.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Visti wrote: »
    Oh boy, really considering a Police Quest Let's Play. It would be truly hideous.

A PQ LP *MUST* have all the possible ways for the game to end! :twisted:

Akilae on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Akilae wrote: »
    Visti wrote: »

A PQ LP *MUST* have all the possible ways for the game to end! :twisted:
    You only need to check out this Something Awful LP, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3368179&pagenumber=11#pti26

Silpheed on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I ended up getting Police Quest. Man, this is some good old fashioned adventure right here. I'm going to need to print out all this shit I got with it, though. Although some of this shit is frustrating. "Hey Bob, come meet us at Diner X." Where the fuck is the diner? I looked it up online, but even looking through all the extra material I've got, it seems like there's no indication where it is. It's gonna be a long four games.

Plus 2 looks like it'll look like shit for some reason.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think it's one of those cases where Sierra remade the first game in VGA but not the second. They did it to other franchises.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

I think it's one of those cases where Sierra remade the first game in VGA but not the second. They did it to other franchises.

It is. Compare the AGI version of PQ1 to PQ2 and PQ2 looks miles better. The main reason they didn't do the sequels is the remakes didn't sell all that well, if I remember correctly.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, Jagged Alliance 2 update.

Liberated the wonderful miners at Drassen and posted a token militia force so I could go to the mine to the south and liberate the shit out of those miners too, and GEEZ. This game does not mess around, and it's awesome.

As I entered the town north of the mine, strutting my 6 Mercs in "excellent" health right to the gate house and hoooly shit, I was lit the fuck up. I hadn't picked up nor had the opportunity to purchase rifles at this point in time so waltzing in there was a no go. I returned with a smaller group under the cover of darkness and flanked the guard at the gate. Success! Rifle drop! So that went to Buns but even she couldn't get anywhere near the snipers further into the base, so a tactical withdraw was called and, rifle acquired, looked to attack another part of town, NW of the mine.

An army base. Oh dear.

But through a bit of Divide and Conquer, effectively using cover and some good ol' fashioned Interrupt bait (having a guy walk in front of a enemy that you know will interrupt, but be well out of range of his weapon, so your mercs that are closer can get a clear shot without a face full of lead), I've managed to eliminate the external guards with everyone taking some to a major amount of injuries (the German is a breath away from death, so he's sitting the rest out).

I move into the main building and after a few takedowns, my pew-pew Desert Eagles are no match for a face full of shotgun. With no explosives or grenades, I'm going to have to think of something...

Fucking awesome game

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You playing 1.13?

Update us on how you do against the counter-attack. :lol:

Hoz on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, I love Jagged Alliance 2 so much. But I have a problem whenever I play. It seems the longer my game goes on (how many game days have passed), the more and more unstable it becomes, until it finally refuses to advance another minute in game without crashing.

Anybody have an idea why it does this?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    You playing 1.13?

Update us on how you do against the counter-attack. :lol:

Nah 1.12. I've heard scary things about 1.13 so I'm just doing a vanilla run :P

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's ok, but if you're not running 1.13 after your first play through, you'll be doing yourself a disservice. It is a fantastic thing.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I hear it's a complete game-changer, so I'll see how much fun I can have with the first run through, then in the second enable 1.13 and it's absurd about of weaponry.

The quips some of my guys make are so cold and brutal sometimes. Like my primary Merc,"Killer". He hops out of cover, dual-wielding Barettas, just hoses this guy from point-blank range and he says "Nighty-night!" in the smuggest fucking fashion available in any English dialect.

You just MURDERED a fellow human being, slaughtered him! I know your name is "Killer" but Jesus, don't have to be such a dick about it. Probably had a family :lol:

From what I've heard from Grizzly he's a straight-up 'roiding sociopath.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you find Hamous, you'd better make him a permanent member of your team.

He has the funniest sayings.

"Goodbye Naughty Man!"

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Were I insane, I would make a machinima about Gears of War 2 being played by JA2.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Were I insane, I would make a machinima about Gears of War 2 being played by JA2.

What you mean like, from a top-down perspective or something?

subedii on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hm. Until Monday, The Witcher 2 is $36 on D2D with a code. It says it's DRM-free, no refunds, and includes all the preorder bonuses from GoG- does that mean you get a copy on GoG, or...?

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    subedii wrote: »

What you mean like, from a top-down perspective or something?

Yeah, but I would also have it write a save of the battle so that from beginning to end, you have documentation of who moved where and who shot, sort of like the move sheet from chess. Then when the fight is over, you can run that through a replayer and have your own little dirty dozen cutscene of how it player out. You'd have lot of scenes of gears and lucust waddling back and forth on the roof, looking for someone, a lot of people doing the "what's this over he- BLAM" strut, and lets not forget the "I'm Bleeding" shuffle on the ground.

RoyceSraphim on