As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone here purchased Interstate'76? Does it work on Win7 x64 with a modern video card? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting reports. I've wanted to try it ever since it was on the cover of Next Generation.

Interstate `76 is something of a mess on modern operating systems, and the GOG version isn't really going to give you much beyond the actual retail release. There really was no updating applied to the game when GOG re-released it. You can get it to work alright, but it takes some effort and results are varied.

If you want to play in software rendering mode, you'll need to do at least two things: 1 - Manually kill explorer.exe (for some reason this solves some huge graphical bugs), and 2 - Use a program to eat up the extra CPU cycles of your processor to slow the game down to a playable level. The game will run at an acceptable speed even without a CPU-throttling program, but the problem is that the physics and AI are both somehow tied to the framerate of the game. If that framerate is ~40-60 FPS, the game runs great. If it's closer to +200 FPS (most likely it will be), the AI cars will wobble around and/or drive so slowly that the game won't progress.

If you want to run the game with the improved hardware acceleration, I believe you'll need to look into a Glide wrapper. The nice thing there is that you can use VSync to set the framerate limit specifically, instead of using a program to strain your CPU to 100% constantly. GOG included a glide wrapper with the game on installation, but apparently the version they packed in isn't the best one, and so you'll need to scour the net for a more acceptable one. I'd check the forums, as was mentioned by August above, to see what people are using now.

Be aware that a few of the 'launcher' packages being distributed on the forums are being detected as malware by various AV vendors. I haven't put in any time into research them, so I can't personally say if they are false positives or not. Most likely they are, but still, fair warning.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    I'd guess that all the Infinity games were tied up by the same legal hurdles, and now that those 2 are free, all of them are. That's a guess, though.
    I'd be really interested to hear the story behind those legal hurdles. It took them, what, two years to make this happen?

I don't know any details, but those games were all lost in a limbo... TSR got bought by WotC, that got bought by hasbro, and then there was the whole Interplay/Bioware/Black Isle side.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone here purchased Interstate'76? Does it work on Win7 x64 with a modern video card? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting reports. I've wanted to try it ever since it was on the cover of Next Generation.

I haven't been able to get it to work, on an ATI card. Software looks like an acid trip and hardware crashes on startup.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll let everyone know if I find a fix for I '76. It wont be done downloading for an hour and a half. I think Planescape plus this sale has put some extra strain on their servers.

The system requirements for Myst are funny.

Windows 3.1/95
    386 33MHz Processor (486 recommended)
    4MB RAM (8MB for Windows 95)
    4MB Hard Disk Space
    2X CD-ROM Drive
    SVGA 256 color 640x480 Video Card
    Windows compatible Sound Card
    Mouse

I think we've got that covered.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a little afraid to mod Planescape. How do I go about installing mods (I already have what I want)?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    most of them use weidu which is basically a dos prompt where you input options. BG2 and arcanum mods use it too

Jars on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arcanum is... different. Great music though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    On the Planescape: Torment GoG page there is that little facebook icon with "1848 people like this" by it. And on the second bestselling game on GoG right now, Arcanum, it says "Be the first of your friends to like this."

It seems like Planescape: Torment is sucking the oxygen out of the room over at GoG.

How do you know it's the second best selling game on GoG?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, I see now. Sort the list by "bestsellers", duh. :rotate:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well yeah, Planescape has been on the requested games list since about day 1.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a little afraid to mod Planescape. How do I go about installing mods (I already have what I want)?

Do this. It's not hard.

Just make sure to pick a resolution early because they aren't compatible across saves. I'd recommend 1280 x whatever.

august on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Welp, it turns out I don't have to do anything to make Interstate '76 run. I just launch it and it works like the day it came out. Everything works 100% so I guess I got lucky.

People are right, it is like MechWarrior with cars. And awesome music.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Am I supposed to install som patches for arcanum? It seems to be running okay vanilla. Albeit a little difficult.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Am I supposed to install som patches for arcanum? It seems to be running okay vanilla. Albeit a little difficult.

There's a few I'd recommend. There's an unofficial patch, a widescreen mod, a high res towns mod, and a high quality music mod. You can get them from terra-arcanum.com.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well yeah, Planescape has been on the requested games list since about day 1.

Not just on it, it's topped the list since well...since the list existed.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Weren't there more games to come out from the same set of people as Baldur's gate and planescape? Like, 3 or 4?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, Arcanum. After a few hours of playing I can only conclude the developers didn't want you to actually play the game. Horrible UI, brutal early difficulty, complex rule system. If there wasn't clearly something good underneath all that I would have stopped playing awhile ago. Lucky for them they have good writers.

Also suggest playing without the HiRes mod or at least keeping it in the native 800x600. On higher resolutions you lose way to much detail and navigating can be pain sometimes (Which is strange since I didn't mind playing FO1 and 2 at a higher res).

Apostate on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Apostate wrote: »
    Okay, Arcanum. After a few hours of playing I can only conclude the developers didn't want you to actually play the game. Horrible UI, brutal early difficulty, complex rule system. If there wasn't clearly something good underneath all that I would have stopped playing awhile ago. Lucky for them they have good writers.

All this is true.

Wait until you get a party of any size and the insane shuffling you have to do to get everyone's fucking goddamn equipment repaired.

august on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've always wanted to love Arcanum. I've had it since release. But things like that stuff you guys are talking about always puts me in the mood to play something else. (Usually Fallout.)

Drake on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You guys are crazy. There's nothing wrong with the Arcanum UI. It's not any worse than BG.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is anyone trying to solve the screenshot contest currently running? I glanced through all 10 and was humbled at how few of them I recognize. The only ones I know are 1 (Fallout, I think), 3 (Outcast), and 6 (Earthworm Jim 1 + 2).

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    Is anyone trying to solve the screenshot contest currently running? I glanced through all 10 and was humbled at how few of them I recognize. The only ones I know are 1 (Fallout, I think), 3 (Outcast), and 6 (Earthworm Jim 1 + 2).

9 is MDK1

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    figmentPezfigmentPez Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bullio wrote: »

#1 is Fallout Tactics

#5 is Space Quest 4+5+6

#8 is Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey

EDIT: #7 is Painkiller Black Edition

EDIT 2: #4 is Redneck Rampage Collection

figmentPez on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You guys are crazy. There's nothing wrong with the Arcanum UI. It's not any worse than BG.

I thought BGs was, while clunky, relatively clean and straight forward.

They tried to get a little to "arty" with the Arcanum UI with the whole steampunk theme. It ends up making things needlessly confusing. I find myself constantly looking in the manual as I play because it's not always clear what things mean or where they are located. For the most part it does it's job, but it is really not easy figuring it all out.

Apostate on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

You're nuts, man, it's not only worse but ugly as chupacabras too.

BG UI FTW MF

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You're nuts, man, it's not only worse but ugly as chupacabras too.

BG UI FTW MF

Sir Carcass, thanks for the help dude, but seriously, this game is balls. The writing is fantastic but for someone who struggles with these isometric games in general, I can't like it. And yet I loved the fallout series. I am weird.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    it's not that bad if you go to ashbury and get the dog. with him around combat becomes much less of a concern.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I got killed by rats in a cave right at the beginning. I mean I killed a few wolves and that dude down to the south (i think?), some elf city guy. But still. Rats.

My experience with GOG is not going well. First Myst turns out to be balls (I'm sure it was great back in the day but it's soooo tedious now) and now Arcanum is hella confusing. And I refuse to read the manual...... Its a gazillion pages long and goes on about friction between planes and electric circuitry.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Its a gazillion pages long and goes on about friction between planes and electric circuitry.

Oh my God. I need this. I want this.

Just a couple more weeks, and I should be able to use GoG.

Someone tell me that the Planescape manual is equally bulky. Bulked up with blathering about dimensions and morality.

Still kinda pissed that my Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection, Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 and Fallout Trilogy sets all came with PDFs instead of physical manuals. Woulda been so great.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got killed by rats in a cave right at the beginning. I mean I killed a few wolves and that dude down to the south (i think?), some elf city guy. But still. Rats.

My experience with GOG is not going well. First Myst turns out to be balls (I'm sure it was great back in the day but it's soooo tedious now) and now Arcanum is hella confusing. And I refuse to read the manual...... Its a gazillion pages long and goes on about friction between planes and electric circuitry.

Go Necro. The spell Hurt is a godsend early in the game.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If I remember correctly the Planescape manual is a pretty short, no frills affair. Unlike the BG and IWD tomes.

The Arcanum manual, however isn't that long at all. Granted it's more there for flavor then to actually help you. I thought maybe I was remembering wrong so I fished it out of ye old game manual box to check. Now I'm reading it. It was a clever trap.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I started out with harm since I went mage and it does help a lot, but it's easy to faint from spamming it.

I got jumped in the wilderness at lv11 by 2 lv25 wererats. didn't last long. travel can be kind of awful

Jars on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Myst isn't tedious. Most of the puzzles just have a trick to them and go pretty quickly when you know what it is. Well, aside from the
    cable car maze
    And maybe the
    major mechanical age puzzle?
    Oh, and the
    sound source puzzle.
    Perhaps parts of
    stoneship.
    And all the reading?

Meh. But it's so enjoyable. That first spoiler was the only part that really frustrated me. You want to see tedious, go play Riven.

Frem on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The system requirements for Myst are funny.

Windows 3.1/95
    386 33MHz Processor (486 recommended)
    4MB RAM (8MB for Windows 95)
    4MB Hard Disk Space
    2X CD-ROM Drive
    SVGA 256 color 640x480 Video Card
    Windows compatible Sound Card
    Mouse

Man, those were the days.

I never had a 33MHz proc, my dad jumped us from a 25MHz 386SX to a 66MHz 486DX2 with 16 meg of RAM and a 250MB hard drive. Twas big pimpin' circa 1993.

Of course 3D cards started to hit near then so we upgraded less than a year later to a 100MHz Pentium, cause the 486's cache was too damn slow.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Its a gazillion pages long and goes on about friction between planes and electric circuitry.

Oh my God. I need this. I want this.

Just a couple more weeks, and I should be able to use GoG.

Someone tell me that the Planescape manual is equally bulky. Bulked up with blathering about dimensions and morality.

Still kinda pissed that my Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection, Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 and Fallout Trilogy sets all came with PDFs instead of physical manuals. Woulda been so great.

I love that bit in the beginning of the book, where it discribes how the whole Magick vs. Technology delimma works in the style of in-universe do-it-yourself science experiment book.

...and then later on, when describing the races (again, in-universe) how the author is adamant that not only do humans predate elves, but elves are a branch species and decendants of humans, created when magick energies first existed in the world.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sry for double post, but is anyone else having trouble getting gog.com to come up?

Makes me wonder if they've released something big...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah they seem to be down.

august on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No luck getting to it here. And I was just about to grab some sale things last minute...

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Makes me wonder when they'll put up Baldur's Gate 2. Probably when the Planescape mania dies down, because they wouldn't want two megastars eating each other up.

Hoz on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Arcanum is kinda a pain at the start. There's bandits guarding the bridge, and a mine full of wolves. The premade character I grabbed, Washington someone, is crap at combat. Slowly grinding wolves is getting old. It gets better, right? Or should I just go make a character who actually has some combat skillz?

Frem on