As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Planescape: Did I miss an option somewhere to choose my class? It says I'm a Fighter, but I never saw it ask me to choose.

You'll meet (multiple) people who will train you in other classes. Specifically mage and thief, as those are your only other options. If you're in a hurry you can find people to train you in either in
    ragpicker's square
    which you can go directly to after escaping the mortuary.

august on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Excellent. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't accidentally dumped points into wisdom and intelligence if all I'm going to be doing involves smashing (or slicing, or piercing) creatures!

Tamin on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I see people complain about Planescape's UI, and while it's not good, it's definitely not horrendous (combat isn't either, thus far). Fallout 1 + 2 weren't so hot, themselves.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wisdom should always be your primary stat in Torment no matter your class, if you want to get the most out of the story and also so you can get bonuses to your xp so you can pimp out your other stats in a hurry.

Unless of course you want to do a little role-playing, but I have a hard time being either dumb or evil in Torment.

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I see people complain about Planescape's UI, and while it's not good, it's definitely not horrendous (combat isn't either, thus far). Fallout 1 + 2 weren't so hot, themselves.

Torment is kind of unwieldy with its right-click wheel of doom.

But I think we can all agree that Arcanum is the king of bad ui.

august on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Nameless one sure likes to walk backwards. And sideways.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Nameless one sure likes to walk backwards. And sideways.

Turn on software mirroring

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, if anyone is still on the fence about The Longest Journey, skip to 3:15 in this vid and watch until 7 minutes. This cracked me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGcFdjIlK4w

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If anyone is on the fence on The Longest Journey, they are wrong. It's amazing and they should get it right away.

Any game that contains the line "I was as dead as a lesbian black chick at a Republican fundraiser" is one everyone should play.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love just about any game with a modern setting.

Someone from HG101 gave me the discs under the criteria that I pass them along when I'm done. I just have to finish it. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So does that mean you love it when it's in the modern world, but hate it when it's in the fantasy world? :P

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    welp arcanum for 3$ is getting bought. That's significantly less than I spent on food today.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    So does that mean you love it when it's in the modern world, but hate it when it's in the fantasy world? :P

It's best in the former. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RawrBear wrote: »
    welp arcanum for 3$ is getting bought. That's significantly less than I spent on food today.

Yea no kidding, I made some low carb pancakes earlier that probably cost $5 in materials

override367 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Arcanum get. Planescape can wait. I went for the sale.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, me too. Now I just need to stop trying to build uber-demons in Nocturne and finish the damn thing so I can start this.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is frustrating. Downloaded Planescape; installed; and it ran beautifully. last night. This morning, and it won't play the intro videos; the developer ads, and the main menu won't register mouse clicks.

I'm on Win 7 64-bit, if anyone has had a similar problem...

edit: restarted the computer, and it's working fine again.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Planescapers. There is a thread filled with wads of useful information not so many pages back on the boards.

For now I'll share with you this spoiler free graph of skill checks by stat required, so you know when you've reached enough of a stat and can start pumping the next one.

http://askimberley.com/img/pstchecks.png

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm...kinda confused by what that graph is trying to say. Is it saying that if my charisma is 9, then I should put points into it first before the others?

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    I'm...kinda confused by what that graph is trying to say. Is it saying that if my charisma is 9, then I should put points into it first before the others?

No, it's saying that there are ~40 checks which require at least a 9 in Charisma, and only 1 check which requires a 25 Wisdom (etc.).

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Y axis is number of checks.

X axis is stat required to pass.

i.e.
    The highest Int you need for anything is 21

Of course it doesn't tell you which of these checks are in any way important, but I found it useful to know when you can stop.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, Torment is really amazing with those mods. Looks great even on a big monitor. Such an awesome game.

Yann on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The "9" on that graph has bars representing how many skill checks there are for each stat that require 9 in that stat. The "10" has bars representing how many skill checks require a 10 for each stat. Etc. You're meant to notice that INT is really important for lots of checks. WIS is also an important one to bump up for all the cool checks.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I bought Arcanum and Myst. Never tried these types of games before and I keep hearing talk of them. I'd buy Psychonauts too but my brothers kids came over for a surprise visit yesterday and I'm now (un)surprisingly short on monies. I'm rich in hugs though. I have sooooo much drool on snot on my shoulders. Wearing black was a bad idea.

Do it. That's an amazing game.

I know. Which is why it sucks so bad. :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've started my evil necromancer arcanum run.

Killin people every day then raising their souls to suffer in eternal torment erryday

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I've started my evil necromancer arcanum run.

Killin people every day then raising their souls to suffer in eternal torment erryday
    And stuff like this is why I'm still replaying Arcanum at least once a year since I bought it on launch day.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just picked up Tex Murphy, TLJ, Interstate 76, Incredible Machine, Duke, and Syberia.

Is there really no downloader anymore?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Just picked up Tex Murphy, TLJ, Interstate 76, Incredible Machine, Duke, and Syberia.

Is there really no downloader anymore?

you didnt get arcanum?

you already own it right

thats the only reason not to get it

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bought arcanum the day they put it up there, duh

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I made a mage/charmer in arcanum. but really all I am doing right now is following my dog around healing him. Sometimes I cast harm.

Jars on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    I made a mage/charmer in arcanum. but really all I am doing right now is following my dog around healing him. Sometimes I cast harm.

This is a really creepy post.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What are the chances of GoG getting their hands on the other Infinity Engine games? I'd love to complete my collection. We need BG2 and Throne of Baal plus all of the Icewind Dale games and expansions.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What are the chances of GoG getting their hands on the other Infinity Engine games? I'd love to complete my collection. We need BG2 and Throne of Baal plus all of the Icewind Dale games and expansions.

I would imagine they're on the way since Torment and Baldur's Gate are already up and they said they have several more Hasbro games they're getting ready to release.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd guess that all the Infinity games were tied up by the same legal hurdles, and now that those 2 are free, all of them are. That's a guess, though.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd guess that all the Infinity games were tied up by the same legal hurdles, and now that those 2 are free, all of them are. That's a guess, though.
    I'd be really interested to hear the story behind those legal hurdles. It took them, what, two years to make this happen?

Darlan on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy balls Batman! It's only $3!

Christ, glad I didn't buy it right away when I was asking about it, (Arcanum that is).

Are there any must have mods for Arcanum that I should get? The Unofficial patch says it was discontinued in 2009.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    On the Planescape: Torment GoG page there is that little facebook icon with "1848 people like this" by it. And on the second bestselling game on GoG right now, Arcanum, it says "Be the first of your friends to like this."

It seems like Planescape: Torment is sucking the oxygen out of the room over at GoG.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »

Wisdom first, always wisdom first.

You can dual-class fairly easily, just make sure that your mage split gets leveled first. Bonus points...

Joe K on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone here purchased Interstate'76? Does it work on Win7 x64 with a modern video card? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting reports. I've wanted to try it ever since it was on the cover of Next Generation.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone here purchased Interstate'76? Does it work on Win7 x64 with a modern video card? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting reports. I've wanted to try it ever since it was on the cover of Next Generation.

I'd check the gog.com boards. As with most computer games the answer is most probably: maybe.

august on