Options

MINECRAFT: Tonight, we build stone dongs in Hell!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Would it be possible to design a trap like that so that it ends right inside your house with the rest of the trap being much broader? That way you could just relax while they keep on falling in as they try to get you?

Couscous on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Would it be possible to design a trap like that so that it ends right inside your house with the rest of the trap being much broader? That way you could just relax while they keep on falling in as they try to get you?

I think it could be simplified so you could have it around the entirety of your building, the one i'm currently using is based on some guys really poorly done youtube video where it's hard to see what exactly he did. Had to re-figure out what he was doing.

EDIT: Video is uploading to youtube, 50MB so probably around 10 minutes.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    DerBeppoDerBeppo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's the world I've been working on. I tend to dig into, rather than build upon, the earth. There's also a link to my saved game if anyone wants to wander around.
    An overall view of my map
    6.jpg

My mountain
    javaw2010-10-0211-53-53-94.jpg

A look at the front of my mountain
    javaw2010-10-0213-04-19-93.jpg

Inside of mountain
    javaw2010-10-0213-04-44-54.jpg
    javaw2010-10-0213-05-05-82.jpg
    javaw2010-10-0213-11-26-45.jpg
    javaw2010-10-0213-12-43-77.jpg

Garbage disposal
    javaw2010-10-0211-56-40-40.jpg

View of the pit from my Observation lobby, inside my workshop
    javaw2010-10-0211-58-11-06.jpg

Same view, but from the top of my mountain
    javaw2010-10-0212-07-07-28.jpg

The beginnings of my new colosseum
    javaw2010-10-0212-09-35-55.jpg

The great stone bridge linking my mountain to my secondary mining site
    javaw2010-10-0212-10-08-48.jpg

A like to my saved world for you to peruse

DerBeppo on
  • Options
    Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A project I started last night:
    low-level-pass.png
    Planning on making a world map, this is just a very low level pass testing things out. Only 1 block thick right now so obviously not too detailed looking but a preview of things to come...

Woot427 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Here we go, youtube is still converting it so low quality at the moment.

Trap example

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Issues similar to mine have already been posted about at the Minecraft forums, but I thought I'd ask around here for some possibly more tech-oriented answers.

I can't seem to connect to pretty much any server any more. The problem very consistent, though:
    1. I successfully connect to a server (usually Ein's). This takes only a few seconds.
    2. Map loads up and I get only the chunk where I currently am - no further chunks load at all. I see other players, static, non-moving. I also see the Motd and maybe one or two lines of chat. If I try to speak myself, nothing happens. I can move around freely, but no new chunks load.
    3. After about 15 seconds I am disconnected from the server with a SocketExpection error: "recv failed".

Now this is the weirdest part:
    4. If I now (after doing this once) try to connect to a server (and not necessarily the same server), I simply won't be able to. I'll never get past the connection screens, and usually won't even go from "Connecting" to "Logging In" - I'll just get the "recv failed" error, or a "connect" error in the connection screen itself. I write this again - this will also happen on other servers I try to join, not just the one I had the first four steps happen on.

What I *CAN* do, is connect to a server running on the same machine I'm playing from (localhost). What this tells me is that my problems probably aren't with the main authentication server.

I'm running Win7(64b) with a Realtek network card and everything else seems to work fine - It's just Minecraft I'm having troubles with. From what I've read so far, it seems most likely that this is a bug in the Minecraft code that Notch simply needs to fix, but in the off chance it isn't, I hope one of you guys can shed some light on the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ok, I seem to have gone wrong somewhere.

I've set up some train tracks between my house and mine, but when I try to ride on a minecart, it slows down as it goes along.
    Yet on the youtube videos i've seen this never seems to happen :l

e: ah I see Grim.
    I may try and make a moat system like that - put a walkway over the water so I can enjoy the night air as the undead hordes fall to their doom.

101 on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My job finally blocked the PA forums.

I must have been checking them too often, and someone websensed them.

Damn websense. And it's stupid ESPN double standard.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    101 wrote: »

I've set up some train tracks between my house and mine, but when I try to ride on a minecart, it slows down as it goes along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPls6LXlkGI

Here are the other two, which cover some advanced minecart stuff that isn't necessary, but is still neat

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

People are using "minecart boosters" which is when you have a 2nd card run along side your cart for a short distance. Or you could make a powered minecart, but it's no where near as good (but definately not a bug).

EDIT:I was going to edit in a video, now I don't have to! :D

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know where minecraft saves are stored on OS X? I cannot find them on my computer, previously I was able to search for the folder but it seems there is no longer a folder. Also, does anyone know if Omen files are useable in single player or are they multiplayer only?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

I think it could be simplified so you could have it around the entirety of your building, the one i'm currently using is based on some guys really poorly done youtube video where it's hard to see what exactly he did. Had to re-figure out what he was doing.

EDIT: Video is uploading to youtube, 50MB so probably around 10 minutes.

Video is uploaded, see previous page.

I've created a simplified version of this trap. It spanned across 3 blocks. At the other end is just the second image, a single block drop.

Inside:

5XSxr.jpg

By removing one of the wall/window blocks it made the creepers etc see me from further away for some reason.

Outside:

jnc7b.jpg

Because of the size of the outside drop spiders won't fit into that, I would surmise increasing the depth should solve it.

Extending that all the way around your castle/mansion etc should be fine. You could also rather than have stairs like I do make it drop more and make that a basement floor with a ceiling above your main floor so you don't have stairs all around the inside of your mansion/castle.

EDIT:

Here's the video, in case anyone missed it.

How it works

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPls6LXlkGI

Here are the other two, which cover some advanced minecart stuff that isn't necessary, but is still neat

ah ok, guess I need some more iron then.

e: knowing this makes the railroad project on the multiplayer server seem like one hell of a task.

101 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This is about as simple as it gets for explanations....

Another image I made..

bYqjG.png

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really want to make a huge minecraft system with stations, junctions and all that crap.

Thing is in SP there's no point since there's nothing to build a track to most of the time. And minecarts don't work very well in multiplayer. :(

Blurbl on
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Does anyone know where minecraft saves are stored on OS X? I cannot find them on my computer, previously I was able to search for the folder but it seems there is no longer a folder. Also, does anyone know if Omen files are useable in single player or are they multiplayer only?

minecraft saves on Os X are saved in HD/Users/<Username>/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/Saves

pabh on
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am huddled in my shabbily constructed refuge atop this snowy wasteland. I have crafted a rudimentary pick, and begin to hew the earth in search of warmth.

How in the hell am I supposed to see in this cave I'm digging? Its dark as hell.

pantsy on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Torches.

Coal on top of a stick.

If you're pretty stuck in a dark room, make a furnace with a ring of cobblestone on the crafting table, then put a bit of wood in (and a cookable object like cobblestone or ham) for some light.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit...I was carefully watching 4 or 5 creepers (my first sighting) prance about on a hill across the lake my wood hut is built next to. All of a sudden, a skeleton or something pops up in my face and starts smashing the wall. I about fell out of my chair. Now I am crouched in the corner, listening to its bones rattle as it searches for a way in...

fuck

pantsy on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pantsy wrote: »
    I am huddled in my shabbily constructed refuge atop this snowy wasteland. I have crafted a rudimentary pick, and begin to hew the earth in search of warmth.

How in the hell am I supposed to see in this cave I'm digging? Its dark as hell.

Here.

You're gonna need all this stuff sooner or later.
    pantsy wrote: »
    Holy shit...I was carefully watching 4 or 5 creepers (my first sighting) prance about on a hill across the lake my wood hut is built next to. All of a sudden, a skeleton or something pops up in my face and starts smashing the wall. I about fell out of my chair. Now I am crouched in the corner, listening to its bones rattle as it searches for a way in...

fuck

hehe

edit: Also, I gotta say, I find Ein's server genuinely intimidating (I mean this in the best way). I generally don't get too intimidated in gaming, even if I'm outclassed. I generally look at it as a learning experience when I get stomped on by someone who is better. But the scope of so much on the server is just mindblowing. Freebuild Island is just crazy shit every where you turn. Go over a hill and bang, ten more awesome things. Massive Airships. Tree Castles that climb through the clouds. Candle Keep. Prickly Heights (I love the pool on top). I wander around looking for a place to put something, maybe, and I just freeze up. I think I'm going to experiment with a few more things in my single player game, and check out more stuff on the server before I make a real attempt at something. Kudo's guys. It's one of the coolest things I've seen online. Like, out of everything ever.

Drake on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Currently in the process of attempting to make a helms deep in minecraft.
    helmsdeep1.jpg

There are alot of pictures of it around which differ slightly, so I figured I wouldent worry so much about the details. Now I just need to find a way to make a mountain against the tower/side of the keep...

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm really going to have to wait until dyes are in SMP. Making paintings with obsidian is ridic.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Guys, could somebody PM me Ein's server address? It was hidden in the Steam group and I didn't have it saved in my wordpad or something...that sky garden won't build itself goddamit! D:

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I'm really going to have to wait until dyes are in SMP. Making paintings with obsidian is ridic.

We need to work on the mines of moria as well. I was thinking to make it an epic scale we could make it 16 blocks tall and the pillars 4 blocks wide and I am not sure how spread out since we can get a good feel for it in game. We will need a lot of people to dig tho as we can make a massive room for epicness.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone played Blockland?

I just came across the below video and i'm reading up on it now, has the same kind of vibe as Minecraft except it's more lego orientated from what I can tell.

Blockland physics

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Issues similar to mine have already been posted about at the Minecraft forums, but I thought I'd ask around here for some possibly more tech-oriented answers.

I can't seem to connect to pretty much any server any more. The problem very consistent, though:
    1. I successfully connect to a server (usually Ein's). This takes only a few seconds.
    2. Map loads up and I get only the chunk where I currently am - no further chunks load at all. I see other players, static, non-moving. I also see the Motd and maybe one or two lines of chat. If I try to speak myself, nothing happens. I can move around freely, but no new chunks load.
    3. After about 15 seconds I am disconnected from the server with a SocketExpection error: "recv failed".

Now this is the weirdest part:
    4. If I now (after doing this once) try to connect to a server (and not necessarily the same server), I simply won't be able to. I'll never get past the connection screens, and usually won't even go from "Connecting" to "Logging In" - I'll just get the "recv failed" error, or a "connect" error in the connection screen itself. I write this again - this will also happen on other servers I try to join, not just the one I had the first four steps happen on.

What I *CAN* do, is connect to a server running on the same machine I'm playing from (localhost). What this tells me is that my problems probably aren't with the main authentication server.

I'm running Win7(64b) with a Realtek network card and everything else seems to work fine - It's just Minecraft I'm having troubles with. From what I've read so far, it seems most likely that this is a bug in the Minecraft code that Notch simply needs to fix, but in the off chance it isn't, I hope one of you guys can shed some light on the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I'm going to think out loud here.
    "recv failed" means the game had a connection open, but something caused the game to be unable to receive more data. Either the connection was force-closed by the other end (server shut down, or you were booted), the connection was closed by something in between (a firewall or content filter ended the connection, or your router restarted), or the connection was closed by your own PC (PC thinks it just lost its network connection and needs to close all sockets, perhaps).

What connects you to the Internet? Are you on a home network, and you control everything between your PC and the wires owned by your provider? Or on a business network, or school network? Knowing that might point us in the right direction.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember Blockland, but not fondly.

I remember Kevin Pereira demonstrating Blockland on-air, showing how much fun it is to switch to the hammer tool and start destroying other peoples' blocks.

I remember some sort of message board drama about the way Blockland runs compiled scripts that could contain arbitrary code, and how certain mod authors added admin backdoors to their scripts. I remember trying to help, promising to create something amazing and then being unable to deliver. (I too had bought a Torque Game Engine license and had the source code for the script bytecode compiler and interpreter. I was going to build a compiled-script decompiler. I failed. Partly because I took a naive approach. Knowing what I know now about static code analysis and program slicing . . . hmm . . .)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's a method for the end of a drowning trap that keeps spiders from coming through while delivering your loot through a 1x1 hole. Hopefully the screenshots will make up for the fact that I'm bad at explaining things. :P
    I build a little glass room with drowning pits on all four sides inspired by Grim's compact trap. Before I saw his guide, all of my traps were ridiculous in size.

monstertrap2.jpg

Anyway, start with a drowning pit that's three blocks wide. Dig a 5 block wide trench in front of the glass that holds the monsters back. After you dump the water into the top of the trap, fill the two corner blocks of the trench with source tiles.

Flow Diagram:
    monstertrap3.jpg

After you get the water set up, cover the trench up and it should push all loot through the hole in the center:
    monstertrap1.jpg

Random note: The drowning pit I have pictured isn't actually big enough to accomodate spiders. For that, I think you'd need a 2x3 pit instead of the 1x3 pit I used.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hokay, so I see people starting up these super-mega projects - I could barely dig up enough Iron to set up a simple minecart track with 3 minecarts (boosters at each end, natch).

I understand Ein's server is super-mega-resource land, but what do people do on SP games? How are they finding all this sweet sweet Iron?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Hokay, so I see people starting up these super-mega projects - I could barely dig up enough Iron to set up a simple minecart track with 3 minecarts (boosters at each end, natch).

I understand Ein's server is super-mega-resource land, but what do people do on SP games? How are they finding all this sweet sweet Iron?

Dig down, dig deep.

theSquid on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    theSquid wrote: »

Dig down, dig deep.

Dig greedily.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Joeslop wrote: »

Dig down, dig deep.

Dig greedily.

Imperfect, Warp to Lavaland, follow the torches and signs to the iron dig site.

Enjoy!

ALSO

Minecarts don't work, they crash the server, don't use them. I think that iron mine is for the Minecart System for the whole server when they do get added in.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd love it if someone could send me a steam group invite.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964106378

Thanks!

Edit: And minecraft keeps crashing on DiannaoChong's server. Anyone else getting this?

Also if someone could PM me the two secret servers that would be great!

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So started a new world and the hill I've caved up in just so happens to be on top of a whole lot of caves.

I'm pretty sure this is my first dungeon. How to kill Skeleton Archers without a bow? Just bum rush em?

theSquid on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So started a new world and the hill I've caved up in just so happens to be on top of a whole lot of caves.

I'm pretty sure this is my first dungeon. How to kill Skeleton Archers without a bow? Just bum rush em?
    You are going to die.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    nuka wrote: »

You are going to die.

DO NOT ENTER: UNDER CONSTRUCTION it is.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fucking skeletons constantly ruin my shit.

101 on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nuka wrote: »

You are going to die.

DO NOT ENTER: UNDER CONSTRUCTION it is.

You could probably take one out one on one if you found him outside.
    But stay the hell out of there for now. Especially if it's dark in there.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fucking skeletons constantly ruin my shit.

Somewhere around my home is a skeleton spawn.

And one day, there will be a great reckoning. Once I figure out which goddamn cave(s) they keep crawling out of anyway.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    1)find top of cave system
    2)place lava spring.

101 on
This discussion has been closed.