As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medal of Honor - Wherein we valiantly struggle to maintain relevancy against BLOPS

ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All BaconsWashington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
(Blatantly stolen from t3h intarwebs)

http://www.medalofhonor.com/game/medal-of-honor

moh.le.logo.200.jpg
moh.le.01.lg.jpg

Welcome to the Top Tier

Operating directly under the National Command Authority, a relatively unknown entity of handpicked warriors are selected when it is crucial that a mission not fail. These are the Tier 1 Operators. There are over 2 million active soldiers. Of those, approximately 50 thousand fall under the direct control of the Special Operations Command. The Tier 1 Operator functions on a level above and beyond even the most highly trained Special Operations Forces. Their exact numbers, while classified, hover in the low hundreds. They are living, breathing, precision instruments of war, experts in the application of controlled violence. The new Medal of Honor game is inspired by and developed with actual Tier 1 Operators from this elite community. Players step into the boots of these warriors and apply their unique skill sets to fight a new enemy in the most unforgiving and hostile conditions of present day Afghanistan.

This is a new war. There is a new warrior. He is Tier 1.

Join the ranks of the Tier 1 Ops.

Developed by the world-class team at DICE (makers of Battlefield Bad Company 2) the fast-paced multiplayer combat packed into Medal of Honor delivers the perfect mix of tactical warfare and all-out action. 2-24 players are supported in online modes.

Key Game Features

Fight Today's War - Elite Special Forces in a gritty combat campaign using the surgical tactics of Tier 1 Operators combined with the sledgehammer force of Army Rangers
Unparalleled Authenticity - Intense story with incredible pacing and variety set in the rugged Afghanistan landscape, creating a shooter experience only available from the storied Medal of Honor franchise
Balanced Gameplay - Developed by the world-class team at DICE (makers of Battlefield Bad Company 2) the game's fast paced combat delivers the perfect mix of tactical warfare and all-out action
Online Multiplayer Redefined - The game supports up to 24 players in online multiplayer modes
A Deep Single Player Campaign - In addition to multiplayer the game features a deep single player campaign in which players guide the storyline of multiple Tier 1 operators, as well as an Army Ranger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwhqUkMzbeA

Linkin Park apparently is getting into the schwiggedy with a Music Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmQ-R71eqUk&NR=1

And Courtesy of Pricsa, some spoilerish vidyas of the ending and whatnots.

Courtesy of Kendrik, a nice review of the Multiplayer and how it Functions as well as the Killstreaks:
Kendrik wrote: »
So, I played Multiplayer yesterday for about 4 or 5 hours. I managed to hit level 5 as Spec Ops and Level 2 as a Rifleman. Also, I'm pretty terribad, so keep that in mind as you read my thoughts. Edit: For Clarity, I have the PC Version.

Combat
From what I've seen, this is basically a scaled-down and faster version of BC2. It's got more of a twitch component and shorter engagement ranges than BC2, but it doesn't reach MW2 levels of "bangdead" twitch. Everything does more damage than it's BC2 counterpart, but there is a definite power difference between the SMG's and Assault Rifles. The Bolt-Action sniper rifles all appear to be 1-hit kills unless someone has distributed Flak Jackets. Recoil is there, but from what i can tell if you ADS it's not major, and appears to be of the "growing cone of impact" flavor.

Classes
Rifleman is your standard "run and gun" class. All their weapons have and under-slung GL and they carry a smoke grenade. Special Ops is the explosives guy with their weapons focusing on CQB along with an RPG of some flavor. They also carry frag grenades. The Sniper uses "Battle Rifles" (single-shot, powerful rifles) and bolt action rifles and carry C-4 as a secondary. All classes also have a pistol to fall back on. I am not positive, but I believe you eventually gain the ability to select weapons from other classes at the higher levels. I'll confirm that...eventually. :)

Maps / Modes

There are 4 play modes: TDM, Zone Capture, Attack & Defend, and Combat Mission. The first 3 share maps and work just like you would expect. Combat Mission is basically the BC2 style maps where an attacking team pushes through multiple checkpoints trying to blow up various targets. It also adds some pseudo-cinematics as your achieve objectives. This is definitely the most fun part of the game for me and I think it's where multiplayer really shines. The other modes are all on much smaller maps that push the "run and gun" where I tend to get steam-rolled. With Combat Mission it's a bit more tactical (though also much more sniper heavy) so I can use positioning and spatial awareness to my advantage. One complaint I've seen deals with feeling "on rails" because of the map design. While this is true to some extent, there are ALWAYS at least 3 paths you can take to reach the next objective. The problem is that you often have to cover open ground to reach some of these options and if you're team doesn't have good counter-sniper coverage or you're not using smoke wisely you'll get eaten alive. That brings up another point...smoke. It's pretty much essential in some areas of the map and I think the community hasn't figured that out yet, which exacerbates the sniper issues. Oh, vehicles. There is one map with a bradley. It seems to basically function as a "breakthrough" device to allow attackers to get past the snipers in one section of the map. Otherwise, it plays a very minor role.

Ranks
The rank-up system is not as full-featured as MW2 (or MW, for that matter) and follows the same lines as BC2. You level up individual classes to gain access to new ammo, sites, and weapons. It's a relatively minor number of weapons, though each team does have different weapons. You eventually gain the ability to select enemy weapons at higher levels.

Score Chains
Score Chains are the MoH equivalent to Kill-streaks in MW2, with a couple of fairly major differences. The first is that it uses score instead of kills, so getting a double kill or head-shots progresses you faster (as does capturing points, etc). This helps to encourage team-play. The second is that with each "Tier" you can access an offensive or defensive perk. This lets you use your score-chains to "buff" your whole team if you so choose. I've been at the receiving end of all of the Offensive chains and quite a few of the defensive, and they QUITE a game-changer when used properly. The Tomahawk Strike has a HUGE kill radius and I watched the opposing team use it to turn a unbreakable defense into a rout with one shot.

Score Chain #1- 50 points:
Offensive - Mortar Strike (M224)
Defensive - UAV / INTEL

Score Chain #2- 100 points:
Offensive - Rocket Strike (MLRS)
Defensive - Match Ammo

Score Chain #3- 175 points:
Offensive - Missile Attack (AGM-114)
Defensive - Flak Jacket

Score Chain #4- 250 points:
Offensive - Artillery Strike (M777 Howitzer)
Defensive - FMJ Ammo

Score Chain #5- 350 points:
Offensive - Strafing Run (A10)
Defensive - Jammer

Score Chain #6- 450 points:
Offensive - Air Strike (F16 CAS)
Defensive - Armor Piercing Rounds

Score Chain #7- 600 points:
Offensive - Cruise Missile (BMG-109 Tomahawk)
Defensive - Kevlar Vest
Plus 2x score multiplier

Overall Thoughts

In general, I'm quite happy with my purchase. I think this game strikes a good balance between the "spawnohshitdead" gameplay of MW2 and the longer-ranged gameplay of BC2. My biggest concern is that because it runs the middle of the road, it might not appeal to a large enough audience to keep it viable for very long. Also, the slightly anemic un-locks might turn off some folks.

I posted a review of the game up at Amazon.com for the PC. I focused Primarily on the single player. Be warned, it's a bit wordy....
Single Player Campaign

The game takes place in modern day afghanistan and chronicles some of the early days of the Afghanistan invasion (Enduring Freedom) and focuses mainly on a small group of these Tier 1 Operators as well as an Army Ranger inserted in mid-way through the campaign. The missions take the span of about 2 days of the invasion and you'll frequently be switching points of view from the Spec Ops guys, the Army Ranger, and several elements of close air support (personally this was my favorite part of the whole game)

Without spoiling it, the campaign feels pretty solid overall, but also a tad disjointed. Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere the game generates is really well done! It definitely is much more believeable than Modern Warfare 2's campaign which had the giddy explosion fanboy in me go "Oh seriously what the hell??" a couple of times.

The issue is with the frequent switching of POVs you kinda get thrown for a loop as you sort of have to double check who you're playing as and why you should care. The overall short length of the campaign (dedicated FPS vets should be able complete it in about 4-6 hours) makes you feel like they just arbitrarily cherry-picked two days worth of gunbattles and somehow strung them together to make a campaign. The in-between mission cutscenes (They honestly should just be renamed "The incompetence of Higher Command lol") do add some tension and atmosphere, but they honestly feel tacked on, as if the developers suddenly realized that gamers needed some CGI to liven the place up.

Gameplay

MOH definitely goes in a different direction with combat interaction than Modern Warfare 2. Where MW2 has its arcade-like quick-switch, weapon juggling, double-shotgun, care-packaging, and zipping around at near light speed style of combat, MOH is markedly more deliberate. The game favors a much more careful, controlled pace than the balls to wall action that was MW2s hallmark. You can get killed almost instantly by lucky sniper headshots, and in the sniping sections you have to take the time to pick your targets and trying to spot them in the rugged terrain is quite a chore.

Guns also handle differently as well. They emphasize small controlled bursts and your accuracy degrades severly if you try to spray-and-pray. This is particularly apparent with the rather frequent usage of Light Machine Guns in the missions.
I'm particularly impressed how well they represent Shotguns in this game as well. Shotguns actually have a ranger longer than 5 feet! Hallelujah!

Still, vets of Modern Warfare will have a bit of a time adjusting to MOH's gameplay. Given how smoothly movement and firing handled in MW2, you will really feel..."clunky" by comparison in this game.

Graphics and Sound

As far as how the Game looks and sounds, well that is a bit of tricky one to handle. The Single and Multiplayer versions of the game were done by different dev studios and use different graphics engines. The Single Player uses the Unreal 3 engine and the Multi uses DICE's own proprietary engine in the matches.

For single player performance, the game performed smoothly, but the Unreal 3 engine is either not aging well or it wasn't well implemented. There's noticeable texture and model pop in, aliasing issues, and everything has a sort of grainy "washed out" feel to it. The default FOV is kind of odd as well, the guns are placed almost in your eyeball and take up the entire bottom right 1/4 of your screen. I also disliked the real lack of graphics options. You can only adjust your brightness and resolution, nothing else. Kind of frustrating given today's advanced hardware available to many folks.

Multiplayer performed slightly better in my opinion, probably due to the smaller types of maps that were used, I didn't seem to have nearly as many graphics issues as I had with single player.

The sounds on the other hand are definitely the title's strongest point.Everything from the lowly MP7 sub-machine gun to the beefy PKM heavy machine gun really explode with each shot, driving home the point that you are wielding some serious hardware.

Folks with surround sound setups will be particularly pleased. Everything from the sound of incoming artillery fire, the chatter of small arms fire echoing in the hills, to the fusillade of 30mm chain guns from gunships shredding structures all combine to make a delightfully enjoyable aural experience.

BIG NOTE!

Make absolutely sure you have Punkbuster enabled and installed/updated properly! If you don't it will let you play, but it'll essentially treat you like Starcraft 2's offline mode where nothing you do is saved achievement wise. The game doesn't warn you at all and you will lose all of your rank progression and weapons unlocks as it will plop you on unranked servers and then wipe your progress after each match. I found out the hard way and lost two nights of progression because of it.

Gamertags! Finding folks bettar than a UAV!

PC

Thegreatcow

PS3/PSN

TwoTimesaDingo

Xbox Live

UPDATE! 10/21/2010
DLC is coming soon as well as a patch!

Free DLC Nov. 2nd, "Clean Sweep"

New mode: Clean Sweep = Elimination/last-man standing mode. Four minutes, two teams, no respawns. Best out of three rounds wins.
Two new Maps: Bagram Hanger and Khyler Caves
redesigned versions of Diwagal Camp and Kabul City Ruins

http://www.medalofhonor.com/blog/2010/10/clean-sweep

http://www.medalofhonor.com/node/2081

So I haven't seen any topics about this game for a bit. Anyone really seeing this game on their game radar? It's coming out tomorrow and I have to admit after exhausting myself with MW2 on the PC and the debacle that was their PC port, I'm eager to see it and give it a whirl.

It's made by the same chaps we've come to know/love/hate with this sort of thing, DICE, so we can assume it'll have some decent amount of shiney.

The game has already generated some controversy with families of servicemembers and servicemembers themselves issued a bit of an outcry about how you could play as the Taliban in the multiplayer. As a result of the brouhaha, the developers have since renamed them as a generic OPFOR. there honestly hasn't been much chatter regarding the game specifics, we know were going to get some similar mode to BFBC2's Rush mode, but aside from all the OPERATORS OPERATIN' OPERATIONALLY, I haven't heard much about this game.

What do you folks think? Personally I'm kinda stoked if only for a fresh new locale, and I had a blast with BF 2142.

The game is now out! I'll have a stab at it tonight! Reviews are coming on and will be posted soon!

Thegreatcow on

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm still keeping an open mind on the campaign, but from I saw of the multiplayer they're taking the comparatively wonky, loose controls from BF:BC2 and stuffing them into smaller, MW-style maps.

It's like placing GTA controls into a linear Uncharted style game. No thanks!

Darlan on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I lost what little interest I had in this game when I played Medal of Honor: Airborne over the weekend.

Yeesh...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One of youse is going to be my Guinea pig. I've got a $25 off coupon that expires on the 16th so I'll either use it on this or DR2

FYI - Kmart is giving a 25$ off your next game purchase coupon if you buy MoH in the first week its out (I think)

iRevert on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aye I Preordered it through Amazon so I should have it by tomorrow...here's hoping that DICE doesn't take a proverbial crap on the PC version like IW did...

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a lot more interested in the campaign than the MP to be perfectly honest.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aye I Preordered it through Amazon so I should have it by tomorrow...here's hoping that DICE doesn't take a proverbial crap on the PC version like IW did...

I'm looking for people who have a console version. You can polish the turd a bit more on PC, but console versions tend to stay the same shit that they were when they released.
    Mechanical wrote: »
    I'm a lot more interested in the campaign than the MP to be perfectly honest.

Ditto...but for 60 (35 after coupon for me) bucks I need more then a decent campaign. I'll rent it for that but I won't buy it if thats all it brings to the table.

iRevert on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Judging by the beta the MP is boring and shallow as all hell.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

All sorts of red flags are flying

1) To play the beta you had to preorder the game
    2) Its coming bundled with a beta that people will want to play
    3) Less then 24 hours till release and no reviews on it
    4) Very little hype about it

iRevert on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have a very important question.

Can I noob tube my to victory?

Algertman on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Algertman wrote: »
    I have a very important question.

Can I noob tube my to victory?

Hehe, aye I too wish to wield the toobs for great justice!

But seriously, I have to admit I'm a tad concerned just how....quiet...PR for this game (made by the DICE giys for crying out loud) has been. When you have the developer in an earlier interview wig kotaku admitting that if this game doesn't sell at least 3 million units, EA won't let him do another one, I would expect TV and internet trailers all over the damn place, and yet here we are, 1 day before launch and I haven't even seen anything on YouTube!

Definitely a tad ominous, but here's hoping for some good SP and hack-less MP tomarrah...

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I heard the campaign was 4 hours long. That's not so great.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It can't be worse than MW2.

Algertman on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I heard MW2's campaign was 4 hours long.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

Really? It seemed more like 6-8 for me.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    8 hours is pushing it. A lot.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Algertman wrote: »
    8 hours is pushing it. A lot.

Well, I was playing it on Veteran.

*goes back to watching Generation Kill*

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    iRevert wrote: »

All sorts of red flags are flying

1) To play the beta you had to preorder the game
    2) Its coming bundled with a beta that people will want to play
    3) Less then 24 hours till release and no reviews on it
    4) Very little hype about it

I don't remember pre-ordering the game, but somehow I was able to play in both betas. One you could play through Steam and the other was an open beta.

The MP beta seemed like a very stripped down version of the actual game. While you were only given a choice of a few weapons in the beta, it seems like there will be many more in the actual games. The videos show the F2000, G3 and M14 EBR.

I like the idea of being able to change the barrel type. Hopefully they implement it in later Battlefield games.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

MW2's campaign is longer than 4 hours

tofu on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's very common for reviews to be locked down until the release.

But yeah, the multiplayer is terrible.

Hoz on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm waiting for Black Ops, but November is still far away. Medal of Honor looks appealing, but it appears that the general consensus is that its single-player should be decent, but multiplayer is really lacking. Anyways, the game's missions walkthrough and ending are up on YouTube.

Prisca on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gamefly is sending this to me, so I'll get to see how DICE's Call of Duty turned out firsthand.

After my experience with the MP beta, I can only hope that the campaign fares better...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just a minor thing, but only the MP is made by DICE. The SP is from EA's Los Angeles branch. What that means to the singleplayer experience is just as good of a guess as mine. All I know is that the MP is something I don't feel like plucking down $60 for the privilege of playing.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Looks like there's a live walkthrough of the first campaign level going on right now:

http://www.gametrailers.com/hour-one/medal-of-honor/

The gunplay and animation still looks a little stiff in comparison to...well, you know.

Edit: Pretty though, and the atmosphere feels a little more low key and realistic as opposed to the rap/rock EXTREME 'TUDE of COD, which is nice.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Half of what makes the multiplayer terrible are the aesthetics, which I assume DICE got from the single-player developer. Worst of all are the gun sounds. I don't care if it's authentic, that shit is deafening.

Hoz on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I liked airborne (at least the demo) solely because enemies just didn't keep respawning on me like in COD4.

Fucking hate respawning enemies.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Placing my bet right now.

Single Player will be good but short
    Multiplayer will be like BC:2 but suckier due to closer areas and same control setup.
    Overall PLAYER rating of the game will be 6-7.5 out of 10
    Reviewer rating will be 8-9.1 as they are full of it

The only time you see gagged reviews like this is when a game isn't going so hot, seeing how its EA I'm really suprised that they didn't pay IGN to hype it up *cough ubisoft cough* to make it seem like gods gift to gaming.

iRevert on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Most of what I remember of Airborne was the hilarious progression of enemy soldiers, each with a numerical power level rating, ending to like an huge ubermensch gasmasked motherfucker with like a huge fucking machinegun. Oh, and an assault on a giant Nazi doom fortress* at the end. It was like something straight out of Wolfenstein.

*(Yes, I know that flak towers existed in real life. It still looked all sorts of ridiculous in the game.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The more I watch the livestream, the more interested I am in this campaign. It really seems to have a slower, more methodical pace, and I still haven't heard guitar riffs.

No way I'm paying $60 for a tiny campaign with shitty MP, but it's on my "maybe get when it's cheap" list now.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PS3 gets free content. Hmmmm

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wow I liked BC2 and thought DICE could do no wrong by building upon how CoD fucked up. What, did EA rush this game out the door like they usually do?

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wow I liked BC2 and thought DICE could do no wrong by building upon how CoD fucked up. What, did EA rush this game out the door like they usually do?

Not really sure tbh. I do know that they put the squeeze on the developer's balls with this game. As I mentioned earlier, they're under some severe pressure to sell big with this game or they said they "won't make another one" in this vein of the franchise.

It'll be interesting to note how this plays out given the lackluster PR push for this puppy during the busy holiday rush.

Also thanks for posting the vidyas, I'll amend them in the OP with more goodies.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Not really sure tbh. I do know that they put the squeeze on the developer's balls with this game. As I mentioned earlier, they're under some severe pressure to sell big with this game or they said they "won't make another one" in this vein of the franchise.

It'll be interesting to note how this plays out given the lackluster PR push for this puppy during the busy holiday rush.

Also thanks for posting the vidyas, I'll amend them in the OP with more goodies.

But then they'll have no choice but to make Mirror's Edge 2!

LIKE I WANT!
    D:

It's not the first time EA's sent their games out to die with shitty marketing. Ugh. I'm canceling my preorder tomorrow.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wish someone would post a review for this game.

Algertman on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hoz wrote: »

If the game is bad, yeah

tofu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »

If the game is bad, yeah
    Starcraft II was locked down. Then again, maybe they were nervous about reviews dinging it for being Terran only, who knows.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aaaaaand thread updated. Let me know if you folks need anything else, I'll try to append the OP as quickly as I can.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I lost what little interest I had in this game when I played Medal of Honor: Airborne over the weekend.

Yeesh...

You know they're different games, right?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's from the same developer, so it's not like it's completely irrelevant.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I hate the term "Tier 1" so fucking much now. If I hear someone use it in a conversation I'll run them over with my car.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't even know what Teir 1 means. I keep hearing it but have no clue. Is it quick scoping?

Algertman on