As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Children Are Our Shitty Future

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »

yeah and there's like 3 guys with physics degrees who have jobs

Hm. Well, I don't really have extensive knowledge of employment rates for physics majors, so I'll have to concede the point.

Although getting back to my original argument, whatever these physics majors are doing with their degrees must be better than teaching, because they sure as hell aren't teaching

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure I would teach if you doubled my current salary.

Well, I might be a professor. But you'd have to pay for my PhD first.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    yeah a physics degree is a fucking gold mine!

Well I mean, in comparison to teaching

Figures I've seen suggest a median salary range for physics majors of 95-100K. Not crazy good, but better than teaching

But you have to factor in any higher education that will be required in any physics-based field.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish I had a union so fucked up that I'd actually have to choose between a doubled salary and not having to try

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish I had a union so fucked up that I'd actually have to choose between a doubled salary and not having to try

We all have to deal with the harsh realities of life sometimes.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Figures I've seen suggest a median salary range for physics majors of 95-100K. Not crazy good, but better than teaching

and your extensive knowledge of the employment status of physics graduates is based on...?

Zonugal wrote: »

But you have to factor in any higher education that will be required in any physics-based field.

The data linked is only for people with bachelor's degrees and nothing higher

L|ama on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    my degree is poops money-wise

(although i knew this before i started on it)

Raneados on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    L|ama wrote: »

and your extensive knowledge of the employment status of physics graduates is based on...?

the magic computer inside my butt

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    While hoping to attain a masters degree in philosophy, I've never really put thought into lecturing afterward.

Although to be fair, I know what I would turn out to be...

community-ken-jeong17.jpg

Zonugal on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm not sure if dave was being sarcastic or not, but it is pretty far up there

Damn, according to that chart, I made almost as much as an assistant manager of a pizza place (before bonus) as elementary school teachers make.

That's....that's just fucking wrong.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The people I know who went into teaching are all very pleasant, kind young ladies who couldn't think of anything to do

thus far, half of them are screaming "WHY, WHY THE FUCK DID I CHOOSE THIS FOR MYSELF"

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tox wrote: »

Damn, according to that chart, I made almost as much as an assistant manager of a pizza place (before bonus) as elementary school teachers make.

Elementary school teacher isn't exactly a high-qualification job.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The people I know who went into teaching are all very pleasant, kind young ladies who couldn't think of anything to do

thus far, half of them are screaming "WHY, WHY THE FUCK DID I CHOOSE THIS FOR MYSELF"

Are you implying that young women should not be allowed to make choices for themselves?
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Do you know what the qualifications are for pizza shop manager? Assistant managers have less decision making authority than babysitters do (no, seriously), and a GED is just fine.

Tox on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

same here except they're kind of dumb and one of them is a guy who is very dumb

L|ama on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    I was born in 86 and i don't read. in your face larlar. I hear there is more of it then last time i saw you.

You never saw me.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Are you implying that young women should not be allowed to make choices for themselves?

They'd be grateful at the end of it

though it does probably go for others as well

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    man, when and if i have kids i am moving to canada to send those kids to real school

that or china

Barcardi on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

It, uh... actually is, in a lot of places.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Let us see for me and my double majors...

Philosophy
    Starting Medium Salary:$39,100
    Mid-Career Medium Salary: $72,900

Film Production
    Starting Medium Salary: $36,100
    Mid-Career Medium Salary: $77,800

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What qualification do you need to teach elementary school other than a bachelor's degree?

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What qualification do you need to teach elementary school other than a bachelor's degree?

Pretty sure you need to pick up an education certification.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Along the lines of having a physics degree. I know three people that got physics undergrads. 1 now works for NASA (got his phd in i think ceramics). 2 now work for defense contractors building missiles or something. They all seem pretty happy and pretty well off.

edit scratch that, i know 4, the 4th buddy of mine designs golf balls and golf clubs for callaway. And he is the happiest and the least nerdy of the 4, to the point where i forgot he was a physics major.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Larlar wrote: »
    I was born in 86 and i don't read. in your face larlar. I hear there is more of it then last time i saw you.

You never saw me.

Totally did. I got lost in your eyes and then awkwardly asked if you wanted to make out. you said no and i was crushed.

Melding on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010
    Oh. Then allow me to say that the allegations of my increasing fatness are all true.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man, now this thread has me fuming about all the bullshit that's happened amongst pizza corps in the last couple of years.

Tox on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh. Then allow me to say that the allegations of my increasing fatness are all true.

I can attest to/identify with this.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Philosophy

Film Production

Median. Median. Median. Median.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Along the lines of having a physics degree. I know three people that got physics undergrads. 1 now works for NASA (got his phd in i think ceramics). 2 now work for defense contractors building missiles or something. They all seem pretty happy and pretty well off.

edit scratch that, i know 4, the 4th buddy of mine designs golf balls and golf clubs for callaway. And he is the happiest and the least nerdy of the 4, to the point where i forgot he was a physics major.

Option B is very, very unlikely for me and isn't NASA really silly about non-americans working for them?

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Philosophy

Film Production

Oh god thank you.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah Karl told me all about it.

Melding on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Philosophy

Film Production

Meridian

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Option B is very, very unlikely for me and isn't NASA really silly about non-americans working for them?

You're from New Zealand, right? I imagine at least one defense contractor has to have an office there, if that's a route you would want to go.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Philosophy

Film Production

Meridian

Misery...

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Try CERN?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    CERN or ITER would be pretty much ideal, yeah.

You're from New Zealand, right? I imagine at least one defense contractor has to have an office there, if that's a route you would want to go.

No I mean I'm very opposed to working for a defence contractor.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fence?

Tonkka on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah Karl told me all about it.

I SAID NOTHING

Karl on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

p8-dfence.jpg

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »

p8-dfence.jpg

:^:

Tonkka on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So um I'm finishing my Education degree with History and English majors. In the great land of oz. Our education system is ok I guess. Sharks and dingos etc.

Prohass on