As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Gotcha.

Any ideas on how to set up something to play VMWare images on Ubuntu 11.10? I've been grinding my gears for like an hour trying to get it to work. Vmware config absolutely refuses to work with anything above Ubuntu 11.04 and I need to be able to run it on a headless system and not reformat and slap on a hypervisor. We're moving it from the windows version because we're decommissioning those servers, and we don't want the windows server to be doing this anymore (too many crashes on the last 2 VMs we can't move yet).

Plus those 2 VMs we are getting rid of in the next month but they need to exist during the transition.

Any ideas @feral or anyone else?

You want to try VMWare Server, though Ubuntu is a difficult prospect as everything is always designed for Red Hat. I think it's possible to make Ubuntu happen - try running the script via apt -h <command> (it automatically tries to fulfil the requirements it runs into).

If all else fails do you have any windows servers with extra processor time? You could put VMware server on one of those without too much effort.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Apparently Virtualbox can run Vmware vdk's natively now (even 2g chunked ones) so I'm going that route, sacrificing my memory in the meantime to do it.

But yeah the vmware server route is no go because I apparently have to build the modules for it, and it's building off the 2.6 kernel and not the 3.0 kernel. I don't feel like hacking/patching their build scripts either.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Anyone know what I change a bridged network hardware ID to on linux? On windows it's got the full shebang, I put in eth0 for the linux host but nothing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Nevermind that was the correct answer it just took forever to start up. So much for using this for virtual machines whatsoever. The latency is godawful.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Weretaco wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Weretaco wrote:
    So MSSQL 2005 trying to run a CHECKDB (backupexec does this before backup)
    Msg 1823, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    A database snapshot cannot be created because it failed to start.
    Msg 7928, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    The database snapshot for online checks could not be created. Either the reason is given in a previous error or one of the underlying volumes does not support sparse files or alternate streams. Attempting to get exclusive access to run checks offline.
    Msg 5030, Level 16, State 12, Line 1
    The database could not be exclusively locked to perform the operation.
    Msg 7926, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Check statement aborted. The database could not be checked as a database snapshot could not be created and the database or table could not be locked. See Books Online for details of when this behavior is expected and what workarounds exist. Also see previous errors for more details.
    Msg 845, Level 17, State 1, Line 1
    Time-out occurred while waiting for buffer latch type 3 for page (1:609673), database ID 8.

Load and disk space seem ok. And I rebooted the sharepoint server that is using this db.

Any thoughts?

Does ntfs run out of inodes?

Currently wondering if it's because there is only 1.85GB free on C:

Drive space on C was the answer btw.

After freeing around 20GB (why are people making new databases on C instead of the 2+ TB drive arrays?) a DBCC CHECKDB comes back right away fine.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    So I had a weird request the other day. A client, running a job-finding shop (low income etc) was concerned about what was being viewed by a certain client of theirs who was coming in every day and spending 4+ hours on a machine in the corner. I offered them logs from the firewall for specific time periods but they wanted better evidence than that, and asked if I could make it so I could see his monitor and then sit and watch his activity and give them a list of sites at the end of the day.

This was the creepiest thing I've been asked to do by far. I doubt its legal either. I used psexec to push a silent install of UltraVNC server onto the machine and then connected in listen mode and sat there watching him check his gmail and twitter. Dude was hopped up on Speed or something... I've never seen anyone process, manipulate, and interact with a computer so fast in my life.

At the end of the day I gave a list of sites for approval to block and did so before leaving.

But yeah. I feel dirty. Had to tell someone.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Anyone seen something like this? : randomly computers will start typing blocks and weird things. I thought I'd check keyboard locale and everything else. Dvorak layout? Nope standard QWERTY with English. Some letters work fine, but most input blocks of characters.

• Options
    SentretSentret Registered User regular
    I'm not sure this is possible, but, corrupted fonts?

• Options
    Sentret wrote:
    I'm not sure this is possible, but, corrupted fonts?

Works fine after a reboot. Happens randomly while using.

• Options
    That it works correctly after you reboot is weird.
    Have you tried copy-pasting the messed up text into an email, then sending it to like, someone's gmail account? That would tell you if it's a display issue or an encoding issue...

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Just one computer or multiple computers?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Two laptops, same brand, one's a model up from the other. No one else has been affected.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Laptops eh? Could be a thermal issue, or since these things presumably leave the mothers hip from time to time, an infection.
    Open em' up and give them a blast with an air-duster or something, then think about virus scans, malware and our computer security thread here.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    /frymeme

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    What kind of antivirus/security stuff do they have? I remember seeing once some anti-keylogging feature do something similar. In my case though, they were only getting the garble when typing into a different machine over RDP. Dunno if something like that could feed back into local input.

Though it's probably just a hardware issue. What happens if you connect a different keyboard?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    No idea. It is over RDP though, but the issue is present locally as well. And we have symantec and most of the laptops have MSE.

bowen on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    One of our clients' users is suddenly getting hundreds of NDR messages a day. Stuff in Japanese, Russian, etc with the odd English "Message could not be delivered: [subject about making your dick bigger]"

Is there a more elegant solution than creating a rule to block certain country codes / NDR message subjects?

• Options
    You could use an external filter service like postini. They can be quite nice, depending on how much time/mail server cpu your internal filter is taking.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    No idea. It is over RDP though, but the issue is present locally as well. And we have symantec and most of the laptops have MSE.

If it weren't over RDP, I would suspect a bad keyboard on both units.

Maybe there's some program running that is hooking into the keyboard, like a hotkey or multimedia key manager... or a keylogger.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    The RDP server is coming up clean as far as I can tell, but there is a xray active x control that does something like that. That would explain why only a few people are getting it.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ok, I have a client whose VP just got a new Mac at home and wants to be able to remote in. Adverse to the idea of dual booting. Microsoft does have an RDP client for Mac now, apparently (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=18140). Should I have him:
    -RDP to his workstation directly over VPN
    -RDP to his workstation via a port forwarding rule on the firewall

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    The RDP server is coming up clean as far as I can tell, but there is a xray active x control that does something like that. That would explain why only a few people are getting it.

are you using the microsoft supplied rdp client, or the open source one? the OS one has... issues with keyboards. (that i had to deal with for about 10 years).

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote:
    Ok, I have a client whose VP just got a new Mac at home and wants to be able to remote in. Adverse to the idea of dual booting. Microsoft does have an RDP client for Mac now, apparently (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=18140). Should I have him:

I'd be adverse to opening a port on the firewall for one person, and would say through the VPN.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote:
    TL DR wrote:

I'd be adverse to opening a port on the firewall for one person, and would say through the VPN.

Agreed. VPN. Alternatively, a terminal services gateway (though that is more work).

Opening up RDP ports for individual workstations is a path towards madness.

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    I'm looking at doing a long overdue refresh on our servers. Currently we have 5 Dell 600sc towers at our branch sites, and a Dell Poweredge 2650 and a 2850 at our main site. Everything is running Server 2003. Almost every server and PC in the company is a Dell.

The branch sites don't need anything that powerful. Basically I just need them to handle DNS, DHCP and file storage. The 600sc's are just P4's with 32gb hard drives. They're close to full, but most of their issues are just due to age. I can pick up a bare bones server tower from Dell for just over $1,000, but I'm thinking of putting them together from Newegg instead. Have any of you done this? I'm thinking something like an i3, with a couple of SATA drives mirrored, maybe put Server 2008 on an SSD.

I'll probably buy something prebuilt from Dell to replace the main site servers, mostly for the warranty coverage. I'll be getting my server licenses from another place (non-profit pricing), so I'll be getting it without an OS. I'll probably just replace the old 2 with 1 server. I moved us to Google Apps, so I don't need an Exchange box anymore.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any tips or pitfalls to avoid. Thanks!

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I whitebox all my servers (not by choice, I'd much rather buy pre-built) and the only real advice I'd give is use identical hardware if you're replacing multiple servers, and I'd also buy a couple additional mobos and PSU's now and set aside to deal with future hardware failures (or you could source them later before they get discontinued). While i3's would probably do fine for you, I'd probably do 4/6 core Opteron builds as that ought to give you more flexibility should you want to re-purpose them some years down the line.

If you wait and hunt you can pick up some pretty good deals from Dell refurb, sometimes less than equivalent hardware you can whitebox yourself. You may be married to Dell proprietary mobos and perhaps PSUs if you're wanting spare parts to address future hardware failure.

• Options
    AtomBomb wrote:
    I'm looking at doing a long overdue refresh on our servers. Currently we have 5 Dell 600sc towers at our branch sites, and a Dell Poweredge 2650 and a 2850 at our main site. Everything is running Server 2003. Almost every server and PC in the company is a Dell.

The branch sites don't need anything that powerful. Basically I just need them to handle DNS, DHCP and file storage. The 600sc's are just P4's with 32gb hard drives. They're close to full, but most of their issues are just due to age. I can pick up a bare bones server tower from Dell for just over $1,000, but I'm thinking of putting them together from Newegg instead. Have any of you done this? I'm thinking something like an i3, with a couple of SATA drives mirrored, maybe put Server 2008 on an SSD.

I'll probably buy something prebuilt from Dell to replace the main site servers, mostly for the warranty coverage. I'll be getting my server licenses from another place (non-profit pricing), so I'll be getting it without an OS. I'll probably just replace the old 2 with 1 server. I moved us to Google Apps, so I don't need an Exchange box anymore.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any tips or pitfalls to avoid. Thanks!

How remote are the branch sites? Can you or another tech go there quickly if one of them goes down?

The only reason I ask is because one point in favor of Dell is their onsite warranty, which you can add to any machine (even refurbs). If a server encounters a hardware issue, you can call Dell and they'll send somebody to that location (either same day or next day, depending on the level of service you purchase).

This is a life saver when you're dealing with an office in another state.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Your beancounters might balk at the extra $300 or $400 for an onsite warranty, but you can just ask them if they'd rather pay for hotel and airfare to fly you out to Bumfuck if something fails.

Feral on

• Options
    Joe K wrote:
    bowen wrote:

are you using the microsoft supplied rdp client, or the open source one? the OS one has... issues with keyboards. (that i had to deal with for about 10 years).

Straight up mstsc.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    @Feral I'd like to block certain attachment extensions (pretty much everything but msoffice) in exchange 2003, anyway I can do that easily that you know of? You seem to be a better help than google so I figured I'd try here first.

Edit: we're getting a few attachments like zip from questionable sources that is getting through our barracuda and I'd like to at least prevent an oopsie causing me lots of work if I can.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    As for the rest of your project, a file server & Active Directory migration from 2003 to 2008 is pretty easy. Just follow the instructions that Microsoft gives you: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=4023

Since you're not using Exchange or (gag) SBS, and you didn't say anything about Sharepoint, it sounds like the job will be relatively simple. I can't think of any big gotchas.

Feral on

• Options
    That's a good point about spares. I was going to buy a couple extra of the parts that are likely to fail (PSU, mobo, HDD, fans, maybe a processor).

The sites aren't too far away. I'm the only IT person for all of them. I've been here a few years and the current Dell's were all out of warranty when I arrived. The furthest one is about 90 minutes away, so I can be thankful for that.

There wasn't much on Dell refurb right now, server-wise. I get almost all our desktops through their refurb auctions and they're pretty decent. I could certainly do better if money wasn't an issue, but for the price they're not bad.

With my personal stuff I've been pretty happy with ASUS mobos, but I'm not sure how they'd do being on 24/7 for the next 4 or 5 years. Djeet, do you favor any brands when you're building your stuff?

• Options
    @Feral thanks for the link to the guide. I'm reading through it now. I'm actually not using SBS. Well, the furthest branch is, which is a huge pain in the ass. Originally it was on ISDN, so they had it on it's own domain with various bullshit solutions for each service that needs to connect to the main office. I've got them on a T1 now, but I couldn't add that server to the current domain because it's SBS. It can only be the PDC, and even if I was willing to let it do that (I'm not) the size of our network hit other limitations. That's one of the things I'm going to correct with this, everyone will be on 2008 Enterprise.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    AtomBomb: Since you have plenty of boxes to fool around with, you have a good way to get that branch off of SBS. Install Server 2003 (a non-SBS version) on a box, then add it as a secondary DC to the SBS domain. Replicate the domain to the new SDC. Give it a little time to replicate, then use dcpromo to promote the non-SBS box to a PDC and transfer all FSMO roles over to it, and demote the SBS box to a secondary DC. Shut the SBS box down and make sure everybody can log in and everything is hunky-dory. Then remove the SBS box from the domain entirely.

Now you'll have your legacy domain on a non-SBS PDC. Create a domain trust between the legacy domain and your 'real' domain. From here you can migrate users over to the new domain using ADMT and ForensIT's user profile wizard.

Feral on

• Options
    Very slick. Thanks!

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    @AtomBomb Assuming you're talking about server motherboards, the field is smaller. Asus and Intel are solid (though pricey). I've only used one SuperMicro (as the boss got shafted on a deal with them and won't buy them on principal), but it had legs; it's too bad as they have more budget friendly options. I avoid BioStar (since I avoid their consumer gear) and besides those marks I haven't used any other retail gear. Don't get ECC memory unless you absolutely need it, and re-visit memory prices a year or 2; I don't know what the plans are for DDR4 on mobos, but when production tools up for it DDR3 price trends will reverse.

Edit: Yeah, re-visiting pricing it looks like you'll save a fair bit going with consumer gear. We got killer deals on some 1U Dell Xeons, refurb of course.

Edit2: If you're buying more than 2 if wouldn't hurt to call up dell small business and see what they'll quote you (get them on the phone, and maybe have some refurbs pulled up and say you want 5, but at better pricing); they can swing some good pricing if you let them know you're very price-constrained. I'd think there might be different pricing for a non-profit, but I don't know the particulars of that.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Bowen: since you're using a Barracuda, you're probably best off turning on attachment blocking there. In the web interface, that's in Inbound Settings -> Content Policies.

There is no way that I know of to filter attachments in Exchange 2003 without using a third-party add-on. You can do it in Outlook, with a registry setting that you can push out by group policy, but that is super-awkward.

Feral on

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    This is probably a really basic question, basically I have a network set up using third party VPN software, however the users have a tendency after rebooting to go right to work before the VPN software is loaded - their software realizes the network connection isnt available, asks to work locally, and if they agree it stays local even after the VPN starts up. This means any work they do goes nowhere, it saves it locally but is nuked by the server next time the software is opened.

Whats a good way to prevent someone from opening any programs until everything is started completely up?

• Options
    This is probably a really basic question, basically I have a network set up using third party VPN software, however the users have a tendency after rebooting to go right to work before the VPN software is loaded - their software realizes the network connection isnt available, asks to work locally, and if they agree it stays local even after the VPN starts up. This means any work they do goes nowhere, it saves it locally but is nuked by the server next time the software is opened.

Whats a good way to prevent someone from opening any programs until everything is started completely up?

How does the VPN client handle authentication? Does it cache the user's credentials?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Feral wrote:

How does the VPN client handle authentication? Does it cache the user's credentials?

networked drives with saved credentials (stored on the "Server", a 3 year old PC running windows vista), I'm using hamachi for the VPN (which barring 2 or 3 bumps has worked out better than i would have expected, keeping in mind my budget of $0)

I mean the whole thing is kind of held together with e-duct tape but I was given precious little time to work on it. This appears to be the last issue that needs to be ironed out

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.