As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    @Feral and anyone else (but Feral always seems to know the answer): is there a good way to figure out what laptops do and don't have those little nubs (the pointer stick mouse, between the G and H key)? Historically, ThinkPads always have; do they still?

I need a new laptop for a user, and that is mandatory.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    NathiasNathias Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    @Feral and anyone else (but Feral always seems to know the answer): is there a good way to figure out what laptops do and don't have those little nubs (the pointer stick mouse, between the G and H key)? Historically, ThinkPads always have; do they still?

Yes, Lenovo ThinkPads still have the TrackPoint. http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/

You can find a list of other laptops that have them here --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick#Naming_and_brands

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Nathias wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

Yes, Lenovo ThinkPads still have the TrackPoint. http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/

You can find a list of other laptops that have them here --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick#Naming_and_brands

I love that "clit mouse" made it into the Wiki article. Only name for them as far as I'm concerned.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I can't think of a situation where anyone would need those.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote:
    Some people prefer them to touchpads. I can see why; your hands don't have to move very far to use them.

I mean, I hate both, but it's not like I see one as being a massive improvement over the other; and at least you're not constantly hitting the clit mouse while you're typing, like I always fucking do with a touchpad.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Looks like Nathias answered your question.

Yeah, some people really love them.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    I don't know, I can't even use the nob with any sort of dexterity if there are lots of controls next to each other. I always thought it was a mouse for laptops before touchpads were a thing.

If you're touching the touchpad while typing you're typing wrong. Lift your wrists, last thing you want as an IT person is carpel tunnel.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    If you're touching the touchpad while typing you're typing wrong.

This is a very common complaint in my experience.

Usually the call comes in along the lines of "my mouse freaks out when I type! It just jumps all over the place! I NEED A NEW LAPTOP."

I install the official drivers & utility for the touchpad, turn down the sensitivity a little, turn on the "Touchguard" feature or whatever the "detect accidental palm contact" feature is called, and that usually fixes it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Such a bitch to fix that too.

• Options
    Feral wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    If you're touching the touchpad while typing you're typing wrong.

This is a very common complaint in my experience.

Usually the call comes in along the lines of "my mouse freaks out when I type! It just jumps all over the place! I NEED A NEW LAPTOP."

I install the official drivers & utility for the touchpad, turn down the sensitivity a little, turn on the "Touchguard" feature or whatever the "detect accidental palm contact" feature is called, and that usually fixes it.
    I hand them a mouse and turn off the touchpad.

Usually fixes things.
    bowen wrote:
    I don't know, I can't even use the nob with any sort of dexterity if there are lots of controls next to each other. I always thought it was a mouse for laptops before touchpads were a thing.

If you're touching the touchpad while typing you're typing wrong. Lift your wrists, last thing you want as an IT person is carpel tunnel.
    My computer has an ergonomic keyboard.

But I learned to type before anyone knew carpal tunnel existed. I've never really been able to undo the ten years of bad habits I already had before people knew better, and it's only gotten to be twenty+ years, since.

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Anybody know a good way to mass change NTFS permissions in a windows file server?

I unfortunately can't just go to the top level folder and tell it to propagate to all child objects because some of the child objects have their own custom permissions already.

I just want to remove the change permissions and take ownership permissions from everybody but administrators. I only just noticed that those are included in the default permissions when you share a folder in 2008 r2.

• Options
    There isn't, really.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, unless you want to wipe those custom permissions and force inheritance, you can't really do all at once. You can do the top level, and then work your way down to the folders that have custom permissions, but that's why it's so irritating to have to break inheritance.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Any easy way to check which folders break inheritance? I set them up sometime last year thinking I would never have to touch the permissions again (since I did everything with security groups,) and I can't remember all of them.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but if you have Access Based Enumeration enabled, you could add a test account with read rights at the top level and have it inherit downward.
    Any folders you don't see have been broken from inheritance.

That's my quick and dirty, no Google, 3 second snap thought.

edit: As always, there's a script for that.
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/39f4cc07-7781-4bbd-afe8-fc4d7f75d949/

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Awesome. I looked earlier and didn't have any luck, and was about to resort to writing a script myself.

Me love you long time.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    I hate phone systems. We have a BCM50 here and every time we lose power I get a "no free lines" from the T1. Not sure why. Seems stupid.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thanatos wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Some people prefer them to touchpads. I can see why; your hands don't have to move very far to use them.

I mean, I hate both, but it's not like I see one as being a massive improvement over the other; and at least you're not constantly hitting the clit mouse while you're typing, like I always fucking do with a touchpad.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Anybody here good with PowerShell? I'm toying around with a script to clear print jobs older than a day from several queues, but I'm just not familiar enough with PS syntax. I keep having to look stuff up and I've not been terribly impressed with the tutorials and stuff I've found. Is there just a syntax compendium somewhere that's like "this is how you manipulate collections, this is how you blah blah blah"?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    How does one tell the RDP server to always default to a certain option for the log in: list on remote desktop?

After rebooting a server it always defaults to logging into the local machine which obviously causes chaos for users who don't and can't.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    How does one tell the RDP server to always default to a certain option for the log in: list on remote desktop?

After rebooting a server it always defaults to logging into the local machine which obviously causes chaos for users who don't and can't.

Try checking for a DefaultDomainName value in this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

• Options
    Feral wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Try checking for a DefaultDomainName value in this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

That's the one, thanks Feral.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Can anyone point me to a good primer on VMWare? We're looking into server virtualization here and I'd like to work up an outline of what we need to get it going.

There are SO many products on VMWare's site it's a little hard to narrow down what I really need.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    http://www.vmware.com/solutions/smb/index.html

We tried the virtual machine route, it was absolutely not worth it. Especially a small business where we had 5 servers. It was cheaper and easier to maintain 3-5 servers than 3-5 VMs. Plus the speed, oh god the speed.

I guess they improved it with their vsphere but still I didn't see any benefit outside of "hey I want to run Ubuntu on my desktop" sort of situations. Plus it used to take like 30 minutes for a VM to reboot and come up to a useful state. Ugh.

• Options
    Beltaine wrote:
    Can anyone point me to a good primer on VMWare? We're looking into server virtualization here and I'd like to work up an outline of what we need to get it going.

There are SO many products on VMWare's site it's a little hard to narrow down what I really need.

Basically you'll be looking at ESX/ESXi.

The management console they use for ESX/ESXi is vSphere.

All depends on how many servers you are looking at virtualizing. We've been running VMware for about 3 years now. Started with vSphere v4 and now they have v5. vSphere basically is the GUI to all the controls and option you have with ESX/i servers and the virtual servers that are running on them.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I have 14 servers I want to run on it, with another 2 servers planned. (Which is why we're looking at virtualization because we pretty much add/remove a server or 2 on a yearly basis) Plus some of our older servers are due for hardware upgrades.

Mostly Windows 2003/2008 with a couple Linux machines in the mix.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Ah yes that might be beneficial then Beltaine.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    bowen wrote:
    http://www.vmware.com/solutions/smb/index.html

We tried the virtual machine route, it was absolutely not worth it. Especially a small business where we had 5 servers. It was cheaper and easier to maintain 3-5 servers than 3-5 VMs. Plus the speed, oh god the speed.

I guess they improved it with their vsphere but still I didn't see any benefit outside of "hey I want to run Ubuntu on my desktop" sort of situations. Plus it used to take like 30 minutes for a VM to reboot and come up to a useful state. Ugh.

Just out of curiosity, did you try it with ESX or with the free Server package?

ESX is much faster. A lot of people (including myself) figured the free package would be a good demo, tried it, hated it, dismissed it... until I saw an actual live ESX implementation.

Feral on

• Options
    Yeah the server package. We didn't have hardware to dedicate to ESX. I may go back and play with it now that I'll be freeing up a server.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I noticed with VMWare Server (free), anything that caused a lot of disk writes (e.g. code check-in) would cause a massive spike in memory utilization on the host machine. I think even a get latest (extended read) would cause similar behavior.

Is this the case in ESX as well?

• Options
    Djeet wrote:
    I noticed with VMWare Server (free), anything that caused a lot of disk writes (e.g. code check-in) would cause a massive spike in memory utilization on the host machine. I think even a get latest (extended read) would cause similar behavior.

I don't know personally. I didn't mean to imply I have a lot of experience with ESX. I don't, I've just seen it in use at places and talked to guys who work with it.

• Options
    I've got an ESX setup running here and have 15 VMs running on it, and it's great. Our exchange/blackberry server is a VM and it reboots to a fully functional state in less than 5 minutes. Our less utilized servers reboot in under 2.

On another note: Anybody know if there is a way to log any file/folder permissions changes on a 2008 R2 file server?

• Options
    I've got an ESX setup running here and have 15 VMs running on it, and it's great. Our exchange/blackberry server is a VM and it reboots to a fully functional state in less than 5 minutes. Our less utilized servers reboot in under 2.

On another note: Anybody know if there is a way to log any file/folder permissions changes on a 2008 R2 file server?

Can you PM me an overview of your setup? What hardware you're using, what servers you're running and what VMware software/licensing you're using.

Trying to find a good starting point to jump off from.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote:

It depends on your hardware and how you've got your VMs set up. It can do, but it doesn't have to.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:

Can you PM me an overview of your setup? What hardware you're using, what servers you're running and what VMware software/licensing you're using.

Trying to find a good starting point to jump off from.

Start off with ESXi - it's free and you then get vCenter on top of that if you want to manage multiple ESX/i servers. But when you're starting out and for a small implementation vCenter (which you do pay for) is not necessary.

We're running two servers, an IBM x3500 r1 with 4core Xeon 3.0 Ghz processor and 24GB of RAM and a Dell T610 with 2 quad cores running at 2.53 Ghz and another 24GB of RAM. We're only using local storage with some RAID. They both have a fair bit of room to move in terms of adding more RAM and local storage.

We're running an Exchange Server, an Edge Transport server, 2 Server Core servers, 4 Red Hat Machines, and a handful of other servers (2003, 2008, running a variety of applications/server roles, and a couple of XP VMs for testing SOE etc) . I've currently got a lot of under utilised CPU time, RAM and storage space/bandwidth are likely to be the next bottleneck I hit. Currently I am working on getting more redundancy/backup involved and expanding the dev options I have available.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    Yeah the server package. We didn't have hardware to dedicate to ESX. I may go back and play with it now that I'll be freeing up a server.

The Server package is basically there for emergencies and to allow you to learn the theory of how VMs work and is very much not recommended for production.

That said, I have used it more than once to bridge gaps during server migrations and other things. I love it and it's been really helpful a whole range of times, but ESX(i) is a whole different experience.

• Options
    Beltaine wrote:

Honestly, if you have a spare machine then just download and install ESXi. That's what I did and once you figure out why the GUI doesn't work quite how you expected it to, it is quite intuitive. I had the luxury of "Try it and see" for determining the performance requirements, so I didn't have to worry so much about recommendations on sizing/resource allocation/etc... but you might not, and I'm not sure where to point you.

• Options
    I do have a test machine I can play with. I'll load it up and see what I can break. Maybe try test migrations of some of my servers to it.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Alright! I've finally managed to ditch my Blackberry for a new Android. What apps should I grab? Best free keyboard?

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Has anyone ever had this happen? We use rsync to backup files to our backups server, but the processes just float around forever.
    asdf@spears:~$ ps aux | grep rsync
    root      2005  0.0  0.1  47672  8236 ?        S    Feb12   0:16 rsync -aHuz --rsh=ssh --exclude=day_old /old_spears/home 140.232.101.174:/backups/incDaily/Sun/
    root      2006  0.0  0.0   5320  2412 ?        S    Feb12   0:03 ssh 140.232.101.174 rsync --server -ulHogDtprze.iLsf . /backups/incDaily/Sun/

...and so on.

The server we're backing up from is Ubuntu 10.04 Server, the backups server is Ubuntu 9.10 Server. No idea how long this has been going on for; I just noticed it recently when I went looking for something else.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.