Options

MINECRAFT: Of supercities and flammable hobbits. RAPTURE video in 2nd post.

• Options
    luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think all we can do is done. If the story is true and there are people from the server harassing others so what. It's a rather public server and no one but the person doing the harassment is responsible for their actions.

lucek on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The whole "I DID IT FIRST!" thing is so childish and stupid. It's the same kind of mentality that gives people jollies by sticking "FIRST!" at the top of a comment thread.

I don't work at Irrational and I'm in this forum, so I'm obviously biased, but I'm pretty sure their recognition had less to do with who did it first or even who built the biggest model and more to do with the attention to detail not only in Rapture itself but in Ein's production of the video. Using the game music and sound effects, re-skinning other players and items to match stuff in Rapture... Even if the city were less awesome, the effort and care that went into making the video would impress me more, were I responsible for the original game, than just uploading a video of a Minecraft model.

This isn't even mentioning that we didn't tell the Irrational Games guys about it at all. Like, an hour after I'd uploaded the video I was going to their site to drop them a link and it had already been frontpage'd like half an hour prior.
    vernes wrote: »
    Ein wrote: »
    So. Reskinned the chicken into a crow so I can be attacked by a swam of them for the Columbia video.
    crowken.jpg

:D

You are going to change their behavior server-side?

To clarify, when I say 'attacked by a swarm of them', I mean 'One of the mods will spawn like 20 chickens on my location and I will move the camera in ways that suggest I am being crow-mauled'. :P

Ein on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, whatever. People saying incendiary things about us on the internet is hardly the end times, it just came completely out of left field for me.

Ein on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it was because of me

I am the reddit karma whore

MrDelish on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh... I wasn't supposed to jihad his columbia in the name of PA? shit....
    I didn't do shit to his server I swears it D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's a shame that you can't use animated image files for the in-game textures. Then you could throw up a couple of holographic/hallucinated/whatever image-changing pictures around Columbia.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    TibberlyTibberly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I saw one or two guys post here about 'yay we showed them how lame they are and we're 1000x better with our Colapture' (. . .well that's what it felt like, hurrah for being mean . .) but did anyone actually go to THEIR place and say stupid shit like this? D:

Dude! Part of what makes us cool is that we don't have to piss all over everyone else!

I wouldn't be surprised if some 'fans' of Ein's server acted the way DrKamina says. Unfortunately some people are just like that x.x And if even four or five people did it, it would leave a horrible taste in anyone's mouth when it comes to PA.

Don't think any of the regulars, or even semi-regulars, are that petty though.

I guess I'm totally rambling here, too much coffee. tl;dr - I don't doubt there were dicks messing with the CoR guys, most of us are really pretty good people, and I wish there was some way we could encourage CoR to keep doing cool stuff. Though I doubt they want anything to do with us.

Now how about those crows? o.O

Tibberly on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Probably some lame redditor who came here with 0 posts asking for the server IP then claiming he was from PA

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    argamemnonargamemnon Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Hate to butt in on the current events, but can anyone PM me the IP for Rapture? I am weary of single play, and would love to see what all the hubbub is about.

argamemnon on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe Kamina is DaveWave.

Falx on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    argamemnon wrote: »
    Hate to butt in on the current events, but can anyone PM me the IP for Rapture? I am weary of single play, and would love to see what all the hubbub is about.

I'd like this too.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rubycat wrote: »
    He pretty much just screwed over his viewers anyways. (why would you put crap like UMAD in your own overlay comments)

The same way that he made the video in the first place: If you have to make a video in the first place, it was already a lost cause.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Just to clarify something, guys:

"Took too long to log in" is a message that the server returns when Minecraft.net's validation is down. Basically, when you try and join a server, it connects to mc.net and confirms that you're logged in as a legitimate user. THEN it connects you to the server. This error message is produced by the join process not making it past that first step.

Messaging me about it lets me know there's a problem, but it's not one I can fix.

Ein on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    May have been posted already, but: http://www.destructoid.com/rapture-in-minecraft-is-unsurprisingly-whimsical

Good job, gents. Cheerio!

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy.
    Fucking.
    Shit.

I just had a couple of my classmates come over to say "DUDE! Your whale's on Kotaku!"
    I've been so busy recently that I've just not had time to get on and help out/see how things are going.
    I now have to make an effort to get on over the weekend or something.

WE ARE INTERNET HEROES!!!!!!

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy.
    Fucking.
    Shit.

I just had a couple of my classmates come over to say "DUDE! Your whale's on Kotaku!"
    I've been so busy recently that I've just not had time to get on and help out/see how things are going.

POULTRY! FARM GOD DAMN IT!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Dr.Kamina guy sounds like a bit of a drama queen, to be honest. He's probably only making a crybaby video so that his small-but-loyal fanbase will re-inflate his fragile ego. He just wants to be reassured that people want to see more from him.

Now if people are really doing bad things under PA's name, shame on them. But I would guess he's looking for a pity party more than anything else.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy.
    Fucking.
    Shit.

POULTRY! FARM GOD DAMN IT!

How are they coming along? The last thing I did for the farms was dig the big ditch around the outside but it's so tedious digging 20 blocks, jumping one, rinsing and repeating! Depending how I feel when I finish my bar shift tonight, I'll try to get on and have a catch up but I may well just crash and get on if/when I get a free minute from classes/work/getting drunk to forget bout class and work.

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    reaper234reaper234 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Saw this on kotaku. Needed to see it with my own eyes.
    GG guys
    GG indeed

reaper234 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Saw the video finally, holy shit guys that's awesome!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Is anyone else finding it impossible to connect to minecraft.net? I can't get in on either the client or the browser versions.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This video is very deserving the credit it has been receiving. Props ein, the bioshock sounds make the video truly epic. It turned out way better than I thought it could have.

Next will be Columbia...I have an idea of adding a sort of 50s style barbershop but turning it sort of sweeny todd style. It could work out as I can add redstone blood and chests up above for all the tasty people to eat.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    God this guy seems like a troll. His initial comment on youtube when he saw our videos was, "We did it first, and now they're going to take Columbia away from us too" ignoring the fact we've had a built Rapture and Columbia for quite a bit now we're just constantly improving both.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding it impossible to connect to minecraft.net? I can't get in on either the client or the browser versions.

Everyone including Notch

http://twitter.com/notch/statuses/27946258663

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Honk wrote: »

It's currently down. Died when I was in the middle of building my boat

reaper234 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    God this guy seems like a troll. His initial comment on youtube when he saw our videos was, "We did it first, and now they're going to take Columbia away from us too" ignoring the fact we've had a built Rapture and Columbia for quite a bit now we're just constantly improving both.

I really don't care about this DrKamina guy, my bigger peeve is when people claim Rapture was built with an editor. Because unlike DrKamina, these posts deserve a rebuttal, and I'm not about to register on 30 different sites to do it.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

I really don't care about this DrKamina guy, my bigger peeve is when people claim Rapture was built with an editor. Because unlike DrKamina, these posts deserve a rebuttal, and I'm not about to register on 30 different sites to do it.

How did you guys do the digging underwater?

reaper234 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

Yeah I "love" the comments that are like, "Because you could use inventory hacks, you obviously are." All it takes is a few minutes wandering around ember to realize that isn't true.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you build something underwater, then hollow it out, the water is gone. You can drop a huge pile of sand from the surface (since sand falls), swim down to it, cover it in cobblestone, then dig out all the sand and it'll be open air.

It took me a long time to understand how water works because, as a former DF player, I kept expecting water to behave like, well, water. Instead, water blocks act like individual water sources that flow out and down but don't fill up a space.

Rius on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    that is pretty fucking ingenious

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I always built stuff out of wood and then set it on fire.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    If you build something underwater, then hollow it out, the water is gone. You can drop a huge pile of sand from the surface (since sand falls), swim down to it, cover it in cobblestone, then dig out all the sand and it'll be open air.

It took me a long time to understand how water works because, as a former DF player, I kept expecting water to behave like, well, water. Instead, water blocks act like individual water sources that flow out and down but don't fill up a space.

But it's all dark down thar

reaper234 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    reaper234 wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »

But it's all dark down thar

I screw with my monitor settings when building underwater.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DrKamina

So, hold on. This guy's the one who made Rapture / Columbia in creative with a couple of his friends.

Main video. Watch it.

Apparently he's accusing us of harassing him? Is there any truth to this at all? What the hell.

Apparently he took the video down, and yeah, it was every bit as knee-jerk and ass-holish as you make it out to be.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DrKamina

So, hold on. This guy's the one who made Rapture / Columbia in creative with a couple of his friends.

Main video. Watch it.

Apparently he's accusing us of harassing him? Is there any truth to this at all? What the hell.

Apparently he took the video down, and yeah, it was every bit as knee-jerk and ass-holish as you make it out to be.

That's because instead of the reaction he wanted he got pages worth of comments saying, "That doesn't sound right at all"

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the notice duders!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haters gonna hate. Some people just can't stand the thought of someone else building a sandcastle that looks like theirs.

Does anyone who follows Notch's twitter have an indication of when the Halloween update is coming?

zilo on
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One of my friends is making Rapture in Minecraft after seeing the version on Ein's server.
    Ein's server must be taken down immediately before he copies Columbia too. For the good of minecraft.

There is no other option.

chipman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndlessInfinityEndlessInfinity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Because of the way water works in rapture at the moment, you can actually clear out your buildings simply by sealing them off from the top and working your way down. It's kinda nice, since I'd much rather use sand for making glass.

EndlessInfinity on
    MH3 ID : Gernot 92TE9P
    SC2: Zwillinge
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate. Some people just can't stand the thought of someone else building a sandcastle that looks like theirs.

Does anyone who follows Notch's twitter have an indication of when the Halloween update is coming?

Nope. At this point I'm guessing it really will be Halloween or very close to it.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
This discussion has been closed.