As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT: Of supercities and flammable hobbits. RAPTURE video in 2nd post.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anybody else see this new creepypasta-esc Minecraft tale?
    adf87a1283162881610.jpg

Not particularly original, but I like this stuff. Screenshot is appropriately creepy and obscure.

It was a good prank but it hardly new. Notch has also hinted he might implement Herobrine into the game somehow.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pabh wrote: »
    adf87a1283162881610.jpg

Not particularly original, but I like this stuff. Screenshot is appropriately creepy and obscure.

it's not new. yes we've seen it. there's a video

Oops, my bad.

There's even a livestream of him online somewhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4McmqafqrfU&feature=related

pabh on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Quarth and I just went around the entire boundary and found 6 bridges across it. WTF is wrong with people? If you want to see natural freshly rendered landscapes play on single player, there are plenty of them there.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    So Quarth and I just went around the entire boundary and found 6 bridges across it. WTF is wrong with people? If you want to see natural freshly rendered landscapes play on single player, there are plenty of them there.

Well that's bullshit. No telling how big the map has gotten now.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

why not just make adminium walls around the place up to the skybox? its not pretty, but its impenitrable

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pabh wrote: »
    adf87a1283162881610.jpg

it's not new. yes we've seen it. there's a video

Oops, my bad.
    It's new to some people. I just read that a couple days ago actually.

But yes, it is creepy.

And Mighty, it ruins renders.

Are the people building these bridges being banned? Because I can bet it's none of the regulars here, so don't talk to us about it. It's the people who create an account just to build on Ein's server. I still think you should have so many posts or something.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mighty wrote: »

why not just make adminium walls around the place up to the skybox? its not pretty, but its impenitrable

No it's not.
    You can build up to the same level as the wall and jump over. :?

And the fact that it isn't pretty is basically why Ein never put one up. But continued breeches might incline him to do so.

The other, OTHER option is to generate a large section of 1 block high adminium at the bottom layer all around the world, thus even further reducing the incentive to bridge the gap. Still doesn't remove the problem, but it might bludgeon a little more sense into some of the more thick-headed. Still not pretty, but better than a giant wall in view.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm still a fan of the newbie info dungeon at /spawn.

That, or the mod that autobans people who venture too far from the center of the map.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    Are the people building these bridges being banned? Because I can bet it's none of the regulars here, so don't talk to us about it. It's the people who create an account just to build on Ein's server. I still think you should have so many posts or something.

The ones that are caught get banned.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Has anyone actually been caught?

EDIT: That one guy was, he owned up to it though.

MetaHybrid on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sulseeker.dyndns.org is now running Hey0's mod.

Still bare, but I'll be adding kits and plugins as I research them.

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Has anyone actually been caught?

EDIT: That one guy was, he owned up to it though.

Yep.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can't you go back and see who had built what over there?

anoffday on
  • Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have convinced a friend to get Minecraft, and his first real interest has been to look into Creative and do some massive sculpture building, at least for a bit, before trying the survival singleplayer. Massive sculpturecraft was basically the draw for him.

I've had the almost reverse experience though, since nearly all my minecrafting has been SP survival so I'm not sure how to advise him. What's the best way to go about just building crazy things? The PA server has some epic stuff but do you need to use a multiplayer server to get that kind of constructive freedom, or can you do similar things with the Creative version in-browser? Is a lot of wide-scope terrain changing (ie: massive pit or flatten a big plain) feasible using just the minecraft app or is that the sort of thing that requires a map editor?

Meiteron on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm like you. I'm more into building forts and keeping zombies away.

Does he want to build buildings or artsy stuff? Like with the different colored cloths?

anoffday on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ugh, I'm trying really hard to like this game but in the end I don't think I'm a fan of the "build your own game" games ala Little Bit Planet, Modnation, etc, with the exception of Simcity.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This is more like building a world. I wouldn't really categorize it with Little Big Planet or Modnation. That's a completely different kind of building. I guess it's not everyone's favorite. Personally, I love being able to build my own stuff and show it off to people and just continually add to something that I know I created.

anoffday on
  • Options
    BountiehunterBountiehunter Registered User new member
    edited October 2010

This really sucks. Especialy for people like myself. The whole reason I joined this forum was for the chance to be a part of what they are working on. :?

Bountiehunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Putting a border of fences two blocks high would be kinda okay. But Ein shouldn't even have to do that.

MetaHybrid on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have finally finished laying the groundwork for Serenity. The area is cleared; now I need some good blueprints to work from. All the pictures I can find are blurry and low-res.

Eyeballing it, it looks like I should start building the cargo bay around meter 43x18. Does that seem correct?

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Does lava dry up above ground or something? I had a water pit with a bridge leading to my home in single player, but I recently replaced the water with lava, and I swear it's disappearing.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Does lava dry up above ground or something? I had a water pit with a bridge leading to my home in single player, but I recently replaced the water with lava, and I swear it's disappearing.

Definitely not, as I've seen two lavafalls begin above ground.

Tamin on
  • Options
    DarknessOfMineDarknessOfMine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am a newbie who just experienced her first Skeleton Spawner.

All I have to say is... Holy hell.

I swear my heart was racing when I discovered it. xD

DarknessOfMine on
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Davoid wrote: »
    Kileak wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    So who the hell is davewave?

He just shows up on our server all confused, doesn't listen to us when we tell him what's going on and then just gets pissy and demands to be made a mod and just acts like an ass all around. Is he normally like that?

Lmao....Dave is one of our regulars....i take it you kicked him? :P

Davewave is the best person to ever wander into the SE++ server. He is our favouritttteee.

He should migrate to our server. Forever.
    I've been on the server almost every day for like a month now and I've never even seen this guy's name before.

Hes part of the night crew. like me. which would be why ive seen your name on lots of sign's, but never seen you on :P

Kileak on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Putting a border of fences two blocks high would be kinda okay. But Ein shouldn't even have to do that.

A fence takes 1½ squares up, so they'd just build enough to hop over it. Even if you put fencing as the last layer of a wall, they'd have an adjacent block in their tower to jump over it. The only created thing that I think could deter them would be an adminium wall six deep and up to heaven, with the top layer all lava, and even then it'd only delay them as long as it took to get six buckets of water while still ruining renders.

Something that automatically bans or blocks people who trespass sounds like the only feasible solution.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How is the spawn area marked? Is it something that can be written into the map file to deny construction or is it something like "if within X blocks of 0,0 then no-build"?

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Can anyone read the scale on this blueprint? It's in the bottom-left hand corner. Says "scale in feet" followed by something in parentheses I can't make out.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Davoid wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    So who the hell is davewave?

He just shows up on our server all confused, doesn't listen to us when we tell him what's going on and then just gets pissy and demands to be made a mod and just acts like an ass all around. Is he normally like that?

Lmao....Dave is one of our regulars....i take it you kicked him? :P

Davewave is the best person to ever wander into the SE++ server. He is our favouritttteee.

He should migrate to our server. Forever.
    I've been on the server almost every day for like a month now and I've never even seen this guy's name before.

Hes part of the night crew. like me. which would be why ive seen your name on lots of sign's, but never seen you on :P
    Ahh got it.

So anyway, my lava trap in front of my house works well and it's fun to watch zombies fall in and burn, but earlier I fell in. I was able to recover some of my stuff, but I lost my diamond sword. :( Oh well, I have the Halloween texture pack installed, so it'll be fun to run around with an iron sword which looks like Jason's bloody machete.

anoffday on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can someone invite me to the steam group and/or PM me Ein Server's IP? I haven't played SMP since shortly after it came out and I'd love a chance to check things out.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    How is the spawn area marked? Is it something that can be written into the map file to deny construction or is it something like "if within X blocks of 0,0 then no-build"?

No one can build or destroy anything within x blocks of /spawn.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Can anyone read the scale on this blueprint? It's in the bottom-left hand corner. Says "scale in feet" followed by something in parentheses I can't make out.

each bar is 5ft. thats 0-25ft

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This really sucks. Especialy for people like myself. The whole reason I joined this forum was for the chance to be a part of what they are working on. :?

Don't need it to go to the sky. Just have 2 block thick in the pattern

XXX....XXXX....X......X..XXXX..XXXXX....XXXX..X......X..XXXXX..XXXX..XXX..
    X....X..X....X....XX....X..X....X......X........X........XX....X......X......X........X....X
    X....X..X....X....X..X..X..X....X......X........XXXX..X..X..X......X......XXXX..XXX..
    X....X..X....X....X....XX..X....X......X........X........X....XX......X......X........X....X
    XXX....XXXX....X......X..XXXX......X........XXXX..X......X......X......XXXX..X....X

There still will be griefers but the uninformed will be less likely to cross

For that matter a pattern of would make it hard to cross.

O......XX......o
    O......XX......o
    O......XX......o
    O......XX......o
    O......XX......o
    O......XX......o
    O......XX......o

lucek on
  • Options
    luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

each bar is 5ft. thats 0-25ft

25 feet matches the height of the people depicted at about 6 feet.

lucek on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Guys no one is crossing the border without knowing they aren't supposed to be doing it, and those who are aren't going to be stopped by making it more difficult, plus it'll just make renders look bad.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not entirely certain of that. Given the epic scale of most things on this server, it's not inconceivable at all that someone could dig out a 6-across canyon that goes to the bottom of the earth. When I saw the gap on the renders - well, honestly I kept missing it at first. I thought it would be way bigger, like 30 or 40 across, minimum.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    I'm not entirely certain of that. Given the epic scale of most things on this server, it's not inconceivable at all that someone could dig out a 6-across canyon that goes to the bottom of the earth. When I saw the gap on the renders - well, honestly I kept missing it at first. I thought it would be way bigger, like 30 or 40 across, minimum.

Its clealry pointed out in the rules at the spawn that you must not cross the chasm at the edges of the map and if the people had read through this thread as they should do before getting build permission they would know that crossing the chasm was an offence punishable by death.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not arguing, just saying it isn't inconceivable. There have been people stating that they missed the rules boards, which given the environment they're placed in, is also somewhat understandable.

Thus, my love for the newbie dungeon.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    I'm not arguing, just saying it isn't inconceivable. There have been people stating that they missed the rules boards, which given the environment they're placed in, is also somewhat understandable.

Thus, my love for the newbie dungeon.

It is understandable if they missed it the first time but when getting build permission a mod would have asked them if they had read the rules at spawn. Reading the rules is part of being allowed to build and if they then ignore those rules it is entirely their fault.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    JerickJerick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The problem is Seeks, that before they are given build rights, they have to state they have read the rules board at the spawn, their PA user name, and that they have read the 2nd post on the thread. So in theory they should know to not cross the chasm, which is why when they do. I have no issues banning them.

Jerick on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My girlfriend has bitched at me a few times these past couple weeks, for playing Minecraft. I finally sat her down and gave her brief instructions on how to make her first wooden pick and some torches. Twenty minutes later she screams in terror. I was busy cooking so I ran in to see what was happening. She had her little dirt house blown to bits by three creepers. Apparently she'd gone outside to see what they were, thinking they were docile like sheep.

She's hooked and is now trying to get enough arrows to fend off any creepers that come near her wood cabin.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
This discussion has been closed.