As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Western Animation- Sym-Bionic Titan cancelled, burn down everything

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You have to admit, little kids are stupid as hell and will believe basically anything you tell them.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You have to admit, little kids are stupid as hell and will believe basically anything you tell them.

I know, right? Like that santa claus thing. What a bunch of baloney.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Watching through Samurai Jack again, it's been a while. Still a fantastic show with some of the most intelligent and clever writing of any American show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCjl7aTAMWw

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's been a depressing lack of info on Legend of Korra. Hopefully everything's going smoothly and we might get it late next year. Still wish it could be on Cartoon Network though.

Edit: And maybe Mike and Bryan are still laying low to avoid talking about Shyamalan's movie.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    Watching through Samurai Jack again, it's been a while. Still a fantastic show with some of the most intelligent and clever writing of any American show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCjl7aTAMWw

Henceforth to be known as "the Ikaruga episode".

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    There's been a depressing lack of info on Legend of Korra. Hopefully everything's going smoothly and we might get it late next year. Still wish it could be on Cartoon Network though.

Edit: And maybe Mike and Bryan are still laying low to avoid talking about Shyamalan's movie.

Well, the guys are pretty busy making the darn thing. It's far too soon to get worried.

And yes, they've gone from enthusiastically talking up Shyamalan's project at every opportunity to very terse "no comment"s.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Well, the guys are pretty busy making the darn thing. It's far too soon to get worried.

And yes, they've gone from enthusiastically talking up Shyamalan's project at every opportunity to very terse "no comment"s.

At least we've got the Rifftrax version of TLA to look forward to next month. Hopefully the guys will watch the show beforehand just to get that much more riled up about it.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I could have watched TLA on a plane yesterday, free of charge.

I watched Knight and Day, Predators and The Karate Kid instead.

No regrets.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I could have watched TLA on a plane yesterday, free of charge.

I watched Knight and Day, Predators and The Karate Kid instead.

No regrets.

Predators alone is worth watching over TLA. Hell I haven't seen the other two and I'm positive they would be worth watching over TLA.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Though new info would be nice I'm not expecting any big reveals until Comic-Con in July.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not really happy with Brian and Mike right now, so I don't know whether or not i'll be watching legend of Korra. I don't know where you stand on Avatar's gigantic shipping war, whether you're a Zutaran or not, but as far as i'm concerned what B&M did to that one Zutaran was out of line.

Matthew on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Whatever they did, he probably deserves it for calling himself something as rediculous as a zutaran.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Matthew wrote: »
    I'm not really happy with Brian and Mike right now, so I don't know whether or not i'll be watching legend of Korra. I don't know where you stand on Avatar's gigantic shipping war, whether you're a Zutaran or not, but as far as i'm concerned what B&M did to that one Zutaran was out of line.

Buh? I've watched the entire series and I didn't follow a word of that.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    "Shipping", short for "Relationshipping", is the idea that people are fans of certain romantic pairings between fictional characters.

Some "ships" are referred to as a combination of the names of the characters involved. "Zutara" is the name for the Katara/Zuko relationship some fans believe should have happened in the show. A "Zutaran" then, is a person who belongs to that school of thought.

I'm not aware of anything the Avatar creators "did" to any such fan, though I'm sure they deserved it.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    "Shipping", short for "Relationshipping", is the idea that people are fans of certain romantic pairings between fictional characters.

Some "ships" are referred to as a combination of the names of the characters involved. "Zutara" is the name for the Katara/Zuko relationship some fans believe should have happened in the show. A "Zutaran" then, is a person who belongs to that school of thought.

I'm not aware of anything the Avatar creators "did" to any such fan, though I'm sure they deserved it.

If they go out of their way to give themselves an identity based on the belief that two fictional characters that didn't boink each other should have, then I'd have to agree.

Also, methinks this "gigantic shipping war" is only gigantic on the sub-molecular level.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Whatever they did, he probably deserves it for calling himself something as rediculous as a zutaran.

This. Oh God, forever this. Hardcore shippers (ie the ones who scream "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG AND I HATE YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU DO" at creators when they find out that their vision is not the same as the creators') deserve every syllable of ridicule thrown at them.

What's the incident you're referring to anyway?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I want to make a pun about "insufficient postage"

Joolander on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Its really opening a can of worms, but I'm also curious about this incident.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mostly i'm referring to something that I believe happened at one of the old New York City comic-cons, where Brian and Mike used fanart from the inter net to openly mock one of there fans (a Zutaran). I uinderstand that it's there creation and they have the right to do what they want with it, but making fun of your own fans is something that doesn't sit right with me.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It blows my mind that you're consistently using "there" in place of "their".

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are you referring to this video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX6zWBQRXvA

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mostly i'm referring to something that I believe happened at one of the old New York City comic-cons, where Brian and Mike used fanart from the inter net to openly mock one of there fans (a Zutaran). I uinderstand that it's there creation and they have the right to do what they want with it, but making fun of your own fans is something that doesn't sit right with me.

If Avatar shippers are anything like Twilight shippers, then it's our duty as human beings to mock them.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mike and Bryan could have done so much worse to the hardcore shippers than the above posted "Book 4: Forbidden Love" joke short.

And dear Lord man how can you possibly dislike it?

How could ANYONE dislike it?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That wasn't mocking, that was hilarious.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010

Whereas it sits great with me.

Too many hardcore fans - in TV, in movies, in comics and music - want to feel that they are special, that they are involved, that they are part of the process.

They are not special, they are not involved and they are not part of the process. And sometimes they need to be reminded of this.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nothing against the show, but seriously Avatar nerds are the worst nerds.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, as soon as you become such a "hardcore" fan that you think you know the characters better than the creators and get stupid pissy when things don't go your way, I'd say it's perfectly fair game for said creators to mock you as mercilessly as they damn wish.

Mike and Bryan's awareness of their fan community and willingness to mock it (and themselves) leads to the best things. See: Ember Island Players

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, shippers and shippiness. There's a topic I could analyze for ages.

I remember a couple years back the voice actor who played Arcee on G1 Transformers (Sue Blu, I think?) was at a convention and some guy asked her "who did your character like more, Hot Rod or Springer?" And on some level that just makes me feel embarrassed, wondering "Why are you even THINKING about that, these are ROBOTS!" But then I think, "Yeah, but . . . that series also had an episode where the writers awkwardly introduced Elita-One, Optimus Prime's Girlfriend. And there was an episode actually CALLED 'The Girl Who Loved Power Glide' . . . AND THE GIRL WAS A HUMAN. (Yes, they were literally dating by the end. Hey, don't ask me, I didn't write it.) So who am I to judge this guy who is wondering if Arcee had the robo-hots for Hot Rod or Springer?"

So in some ways I think it's unfair to judge fans for getting caught up in rooting for certain couples, when romance is often a big subplot in shows to begin with. On the other hand, it's silly to get MAD at the creators when A and B don't get together. Come on, they're fictional characters and it's just a show.

Also, I'm tired of fans assuming that because Character A and Character B seem to hate each other . . . they must secretly be in love. HEY--maybe they really do hate each other! (Hermoine / Draco Malfoy is a prime example of this.)

Edit: Since this is the animation thread, here's YouTube videos of "The Girl Who Loved Power Glide." Very dumb in that charming 80s way but hey, at least you can see an Autobot riding a merry-go-round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z4_sQASUAw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CP2_qEF5yk&feature=related

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah, Powerglide. The Transformer with heart.

300px-Powerglide_heart.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It blows my mind that you're consistently using "there" in place of "their".

Sorry, I noticed that just now.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    LadyM wrote: »
    Man, shippers and shippiness. There's a topic I could analyze for ages.

I remember a couple years back the voice actor who played Arcee on G1 Transformers (Sue Blu, I think?) was at a convention and some guy asked her "who did your character like more, Hot Rod or Springer?" And on some level that just makes me feel embarrassed, wondering "Why are you even THINKING about that, these are ROBOTS!" But then I think, "Yeah, but . . . that series also had an episode where the writers awkwardly introduced Elita-One, Optimus Prime's Girlfriend. And there was an episode actually CALLED 'The Girl Who Loved Power Glide' . . . AND THE GIRL WAS A HUMAN. (Yes, they were literally dating by the end. Hey, don't ask me, I didn't write it.) So who am I to judge this guy who is wondering if Arcee had the robo-hots for Hot Rod or Springer?"

So in some ways I think it's unfair to judge fans for getting caught up in rooting for certain couples, when romance is often a big subplot in shows to begin with. On the other hand, it's silly to get MAD at the creators when A and B don't get together. Come on, they're fictional characters and it's just a show.

Also, I'm tired of fans assuming that because Character A and Character B seem to hate each other . . . they must secretly be in love. HEY--maybe they really do hate each other! (Hermoine / Draco Malfoy is a prime example of this.)

This is how I feel about the whole thing too. I can't really blame shippers for what they do, as romance tends to be one of the major themes seen in many shows, but they do go overboard.

Matthew on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was going through my DVR recordings today . . . Man, I love the Avatar episode with the hippie nomads and the tunnel of love.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    SECRET TUNNEL!, SECRET TUNNEL!!!, SECRET TUNNEL!!!!!!!!

I am serious when I say I don't find one episode of Avatar bad. Oh sure there are certain episodes that are heavily flawed, and I suppose "The Great Divide" ep. comes close due to the massive plot hole involving Appa, but otherwise they all range from decent to spectacular.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The 'epic' battles at the end of season 1 and mid and end of season 3 felt flat for me, and I thought everything involving the three evil girls (sorry, forgotten the names) was kinda cringe-worthy. Good show nonetheless.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The 'epic' battles at the end of season 1 and mid and end of season 3 felt flat for me, and I thought everything involving the three evil girls (sorry, forgotten the names) was kinda cringe-worthy. Good show nonetheless.

You really thought anything involving Azula was cringe worthy?

You do have a bit of a point about the final battle in season 3 but that's because the other final battle going on at the same time is that much better.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So Avengers: Earth's mightiest heroes has finally aired. I liked it. Voices were good, and I like that they're having the Hulk use full sentences instead of the more well known "HULK SMASH" all the time. I especially like how they used the villains, a potential big bad in the Leader, along with building Graviton up from a minor c-list villain to a major A-list threat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9sqihQZDk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTE508jrcvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh_7h0FUWNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3VwSRjtyv8

Matthew on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A few things:
    Were those all real villains? Because at least two of those monkey themed villains were superfluous.
    And did Iron Man just murder all the guards and prisoners in that first jail when he activated the self destruct?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    A few things:
    Were those all real villains? Because at least two of those monkey themed villains were superfluous.
    And did Iron Man just murder all the guards and prisoners in that first jail when he activated the self destruct?

1st, yeah, pretty much. Where you referring to those 3 apes with the Red Ghost? Those guys are old Fantastic four villains.
    As for 2. I doubt it. The Crimson Dynamo at least is a classic Iron man villain. I doubt they'd just kill him like that.

Matthew on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LadyM wrote: »

It's fair to root for a couple, and I'd say it's even ok to get annoyed with writers if they dick around with romantic tension too long.

A prime example of this is Chuck. The two main characters have almost obnoxiously obvious chemistry, but the writers did a will-they-won't-they dance for two and a half damned seasons before finally letting the leads get together. (They apparently subscribe to the Moonlighting theory of television romance -- keep your two leads separated as long as your romantic tension can sustain it.) With something like this, I say it's OK for the fans to get a little annoyed with the writers and ask them to either consummate the characters' relationship or make a final break, already.

Shit like the Hermione/Draco or Katara/Zuko communities are just nuts, though. Ultimately it's up to the creators to decide who gets paired with who and why, and if their decisions actually cause you to feel angry then you need to step back, take a deep breath, and remember that you're watching a damned cartoon. If at any point you claim to know a show's characters better than the writers/creators and/or create fanfictions of your "more accurate" alternate reality, you deserve to get laughed out of the room.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    A few things:

Those were the Red Ghost's atomic apes.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.