As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Western Animation- Sym-Bionic Titan cancelled, burn down everything

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also there was the Mandrill

Never underestimate the comic industry's infatuation with apes.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    can we get a Man-Thing animated series on Syfy or something, because fucking seriously, that is a thing that needs to happen

WHATEVER KNOWS FEAR BURNS AT THE MAN-THING'S TOUCH

Antimatter on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010

You probably know this already, but back in the sixties, DC discovered that their comics with apes or gorillas on the covers massively outsold their usual stuff. So they found every excuse they could to shoehorn simians into the stories, and it got to the point where Julius Schwartz, the editor in chief, issued a memo saying only three or four comics a month could have an ape on them.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kupi wrote: »
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    Watching through Samurai Jack again, it's been a while. Still a fantastic show with some of the most intelligent and clever writing of any American show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCjl7aTAMWw

Henceforth to be known as "the Ikaruga episode".

Man I really need to get the rest of this on DVD.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

You probably know this already, but back in the sixties, DC discovered that their comics with apes or gorillas on the covers massively outsold their usual stuff. So they found every excuse they could to shoehorn simians into the stories, and it got to the point where Julius Schwartz, the editor in chief, issued a memo saying only three or four comics a month could have an ape on them.

And gets a category all to itself on Superdickery.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

And gets a category all to itself on Superdickery.

damn dirty monkeys...
    201010180955.jpg

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Avengers wasn't too bad. They have something here. They kinda went back to basics here and its nice to see.

Why the fuck all these shows getting halfway decent all of sudden? The writing on the shows that premiered so far is between serviceable to good to ok they trying and succeeding. We haven't even got to the bigger shows yet.

Novid on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been watching the 20 (!) Avengers mini-episodes that were officially put online.

They're pretty darn good. So good I've got it on my DVR now.

Marvel's really turned things around. Their flurry of direct-to-DVD movies have been kind of crappy, but Spec Spidey was amazing and I keep hearing good things about Marvel Super Hero Squad.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Novid wrote: »
    Avengers wasn't too bad. They have something here. They kinda went back to basics here and its nice to see.

Why the fuck all these shows getting halfway decent all of sudden? The writing on the shows that premiered so far is between serviceable to good to ok they trying and succeeding. We haven't even got to the bigger shows yet.

Comic movies are doing great and the genre is finally being viewed as something other then "It's Just for kids".

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone else noticed a strange pattern to Marvel and DC's TV/movie success?

If we start with the 80's Superman movies, and the original Spider-man/X-men cartoons on Fox, we see DC as the movie guys, and Marvel as the cartoon guys.

Then we see the X-men and Blade movies come out and officially usher in Marvel's movie era, while DC launches the original Batman/Superman cartoons, which eventually lead into the Justice League shows. Marvel is now the movie guys, and DC the TV Cartoon guys.

Now we see Marvel moving back into the TV cartoon arena, and DC relaunching it's Batman movie franchise.

Anyone else see this?

Matthew on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Matthew wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed a strange pattern to Marvel and DC's TV/movie success?

If we start with the 80's Superman movies, and the original Spider-man/X-men cartoons on Fox, we see DC as the movie guys, and Marvel as the cartoon guys.

Then we see the X-men and Blade movies come out and officially usher in Marvel's movie era, while DC launches the original Batman/Superman cartoons, which eventually lead into the Justice League shows. Marvel is now the movie guys, and DC the TV Cartoon guys.

Now we see Marvel moving back into the TV cartoon arena, and DC relaunching it's Batman movie franchise.

Anyone else see this?

The timing doesn't really match up. The X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons started airing in the early '90s, after the start of the Batman cartoon. Both companies have been doing limited-run superhero cartoons ever since, although Marvel's cartoons usually have shorter runs than DC's. Superhero movies in general were dead in the water after Batman & Robin colossally bombed in the box office, which was after all four of those early superhero cartoons had debuted. It took the success of the X-Men movie, and especially the Spider-Man movie, to seriously motivate DC to get back into moviemaking. Before those two movies, the received wisdom was that the superhero genre was box office poison, and WB's corporate culture at the time (and probably even today) was averse to taking the same potential risks that Marvel took with those first few movies.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Also, a huge reason for the big hiatus in DC superhero movies was simply that one man, Jon Peters, is desperately insane. He basically singlehandedly kept Batman and Superman off the screens for years.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Alice in Wonderland & The Lion King coming to Blu-Ray in 2011.

I love Alice in Wonderland and even though the film has been released like a dozen times in the past decade It'll be one of the first Blu-Rays I acquire whenever I decide to jump onto that bandwagon.

The Lion King, eh, not my thing.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Funny, cause I feel the complete opposite.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if it was the talking animal shtick getting old or something else entirely, but I never enjoyed and thus connected with The Lion King as a child and I've just been kind of sour on it since then.

Which is weird because "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is likely my favorite of the Disney Animated Feature renaissance and that tends to be the least favorite amongst the general public of that period, it seems.

Edit: Plus I'd rather watch Kimba.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    soooo, several clips from Transformers Prime have been released
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2010-10-29-transformers29_ST_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip
    this appears to be the best of them

Antimatter on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I just saw Sleeping Beauty again, and man is it creepy.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hate that Cartoon Network waits a whole week to put up new episodes of their Friday night shows online.

For some reason I'm not able to get CN on my T.V. right now. So I guess I just have to wait till next week.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so who's watching Sym-Bionic Titan

the newest episode is crazy awesome

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just want to personally thank whoever posted the "Squirrels in My Pants" clip from Phineas and Ferb in the last thread. I have begun watching it, and it is now my favorite show.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so who's watching Sym-Bionic Titan

the newest episode is crazy awesome

I have been, usually catching their Sunday repeats. I'm enjoying it. Last week show was pretty good and creepy.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I saw an ad for that new one-shot movie airing on Cartoon Network in November and it looked interesting if nothing else. I don't know the exact plot but it involves an older teenage character who is half dragon.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    that would be Firebreather

it's based on a comic

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    that would be Firebreather

it's based on a comic

And it's being done by the Aeon Flux guy.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ugh

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, I don't think they're ever gonna release ExoSquad season 2 on DVD. Watching em on Hulu's okay, but you gotta deal with the ads, and I'd much rather watch the epic struggle unfold on my large television.

ExoSquad season 2, BattleTech TAS, and The Bots Master are the only real animated series I wish were on DVD. There's other slightly obscure stuff like Mummies Alive and The Mighty Ducks that I remember watching as a kid but they weren't really that good. Hmmm, maybe Captain Planet on DVD would be alright, just for shits and giggles.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Man, I don't think they're ever gonna release ExoSquad season 2 on DVD. Watching em on Hulu's okay, but you gotta deal with the ads, and I'd much rather watch the epic struggle unfold on my large television.

ExoSquad season 2, BattleTech TAS, and The Bots Master are the only real animated series I wish were on DVD. There's other slightly obscure stuff like Mummies Alive and The Mighty Ducks that I remember watching as a kid but they weren't really that good. Hmmm, maybe Captain Planet on DVD would be alright, just for shits and giggles.

I just wish Disney would actually FINISH releasing a series on DVD. Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, The Tick (yes, they're owned by Disney now)... all incomplete.

The surprisingly good 80s Garfield show needs to be on DVD too. You know, the one that spent an entire episode making fun of mini-malls and argued that Wyoming doesn't really exist.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I just wish Disney would actually FINISH releasing a series on DVD. Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, The Tick (yes, they're owned by Disney now)... all incomplete.

The surprisingly good 80s Garfield show needs to be on DVD too. You know, the one that spent an entire episode making fun of mini-malls and argued that Wyoming doesn't really exist.

Oh, are you a fan of TaleSpin? They certainly finished releasing that on DVD, it's sitting under my TV right now. Seems strange that they wouldn't finish all those other ones.

80s Garfield? No, I must've missed that. The 90s Garfield is the one I'm familiar with as a kid. Ya know, the one where they split episodes with this cartoon of farm animals? The main character was this pig who... loved reading?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh, are you a fan of TaleSpin? They certainly finished releasing that on DVD, it's sitting under my TV right now. Seems strange that they wouldn't finish all those other ones.

80s Garfield? No, I must've missed that. The 90s Garfield is the one I'm familiar with as a kid. Ya know, the one where they split episodes with this cartoon of farm animals? The main character was this pig who... loved reading?

Woah, they actually finished that one? Near as I can tell that's pretty much the only one that has.

We're actually thinking of the same show. Started in 88, ended in 95 according to Wiki.

...oh, it did get a DVD release. Full thing, apparently.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's all the same Garfield show. They did periodic TV specials and a cartoon from 1982 all the way to like 1995.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man I watched the shit out of the Garfield show as a kid. Although the farm parts pissed me off because they weren't Garfield. The holiday specials were good shit.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Man I watched the shit out of the Garfield show as a kid. Although the farm parts pissed me off because they weren't Garfield. The holiday specials were good shit.

The Garfield show actually convinced me I had to eat lasagne as a kid.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The farm parts were called US Acres, btw. I think it was another comic strip Jim Davis (or, more properly, his army of interns) did for a while.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The farm parts were called US Acres, btw. I think it was another comic strip Jim Davis (or, more properly, his army of interns) did for a while.

I actually heard somewhere that they were going to bring back US Acres as a webcomic.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I actually heard somewhere that they were going to bring back US Acres as a webcomic.

I seem to recall Jim Davis axed U.S. Acres because it was "only" being carried in 300 newspapers.

Edit: According to Wiki, it's already running as a webcomic on www.garfield.com.

Edit edit: If hazy memories of my childhood serve me right, these are reruns.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Garfield show, hell yes. Remember that special where Odie and Garfield got taken to the pound and then they started dragging away Odie to DIE? I always cried at that part.

Original He-Man is not as awesome as my rose-tinted lenses told me, which makes me sad.

LadyM on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LadyM wrote: »
    The Garfield show, hell yes. Remember that special where Odie and Garfield got taken to the pound and then they started dragging away Odie to DIE? I always cried at that part.

And then there was Garfield's Nine Lives, the prime-time special where Odie really did die.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    gtrmp wrote: »
    LadyM wrote: »

And then there was Garfield's Nine Lives, the prime-time special where Odie really did die.

I was actually just talking with someone a few days ago about how that special freaked people the hell out.

And the cartoon was actually toned down from the Nine Lives graphic novel. That stuff was dark dark dark. The book's actually really good and worth tracking down, even if you think Garfield is pretty bland. ESPECIALLY if you think Garfield is pretty bland.

Edit: Hell, let's go to Wiki again. This is the big one:
    * "Primal Self" (written by Jim Davis; illustrated by Jim Clements, Gary Barker, and Larry Fentz): An orange housecat meets an ancient, primal, dangerous, possibly evil force, causing him to revert to an entirely feral state. It is unclear whether the housecat is corrupted by the primal force, or if its spirit is cast back into prehistory and stranded there, while the primal essence steals its body in the present day. The story ends with him preparing to attack his unsuspecting owner, an elderly woman; it is strongly suggested that he kills his owner afterwards. Garfield is shown to be terrified of the events in this life; he is depicted cowering under a blanket in his commentary on it, remarking that this life taught him that there are elements in a cat that are not to be toyed with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield:_His_9_Lives

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh man, I totally have that in a box somewhere

9LivesBook.jpg

the one on the bottom left? scary as hell as a kid

edit: i see now that was the one you are talking about

Joolander on
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    oh man, I totally have that in a box somewhere

9LivesBook.jpg

the one on the bottom left? scary as hell as a kid

edit: i see now that was the one you are talking about

Holy crap I remember reading this as a child.

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.