As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Daily Show & Colbert Report: Not intended to be a factual statement.

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hey it is live tonight!
    my e-mail worked!!!!!!!! (not really but I will take the credit)

you're welcome, canada

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are news reports on Google News regarding Jon's interview with Obama, in case anyone cares to avoid them and watch the actual interview.

real spoilers down below, for those who care
    He called the President of the United States "dude." Come on, Stewart, you're better than that.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    my dick is getting hard thinking about this interview... is that wrong?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why exactly is he behind an extended barrier? That's... kind of strange.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    my dick is getting hard thinking about this interview... is that wrong?

If it is wrong, do you want to be right?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well I'll be damned.
    It's the motherfucking President.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    and already, Jon is going for the throat.

I won't do play by play, but.. damn.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What's he looking at? Did he write on his hand? SHOW US YOUR HAND, PALIN!

Tox on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

Good.
    I know Jon likes the guy but no one is served by getting a guest this huge and not holding him down and asking him important questions. Or at least trying to.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Good.
    I know Jon likes the guy but no one is served by getting a guest this huge and not holding him down and asking him important questions. Or at least trying to.

When has Jon ever been nice to an important guest that he liked?

This interview is going to, in my mind at least, cement Stewart's status as the unofficial Court Jester.

Tox on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay opening segment of Obama on TDS is typical lip-service "we're doing good!" stuff politicians do.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tox wrote: »

Good.

When has Jon ever been nice to an important guest that he liked?

This interview is going to, in my mind at least, cement Stewart's status as the unofficial Court Jester.

Well, people were worried he was gonna softball the President, which is silly.

It's like worrying "Oh man I hope Stephen Colbert makes fun of his guest while pretending to agree!"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well so far before the first commercial it's been softball.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I could see people calling this softballing because Stewart is actually letting him finish what he is saying.

Athenor on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Well so far before the first commercial it's been softball.

No it hasn't. What interview are you watching?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, it's pretty clear the interview is more about the election than about Obama himself. Not that Jon shouldn't try to get a hard question in there, but I think he's going to focus on the party in general.

Also, this is one of the interviews where it's not about asking tough questions so much as getting good jabs in. Making fun of the President is more impressive than trying to stump him, to me.

Tox on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why exactly is he behind an extended barrier? That's... kind of strange.

he is the President, he needs EXTRA PRECAUTIONS

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aaaannd.. Jon just pushed the button. It's stock answers from Obama, but his entire tone and demeanor shifted.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I love how you can see the regret in Jon's face at what he's about to say.

Also, this almost feels like a damn debate. Go Jon.

Tox on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is wonderful.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The social security point is ultimately the reasonably persuasive argument.

Also yeah, the sudden change in the President's body language was kind of fascinating to watch.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Okay, after the first commercial break it has gotten to the good stuff. Jon pushing on things hard, Obama pushing harder, and at one point Jon pushing back even more (about the "timit" Health Care stuff).

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The social security point is ultimately the reasonably persuasive argument.

Also yeah, the sudden change in the President's body language was kind of fascinating to watch.

This is probably the first "pundit" to actually hold his own with the Pres, and not let stock answers fly.

I hope someone out there is taking notes; we need to get back to this kind of Journalism.

Athenor on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I enjoyed the whole audience laughing at "Heck of A Job." Very aware crowd.

Also, it's interesting to hear them cheer as much for the guest as Jon. I know it's the President, but still...

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This doesn't feel like it is going to end in 30 seconds...

Are they going to pre-empt Colbert?

Athenor on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Obama wrote:
    YES WE CAN... but...

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I didn't get the "heck of a job" reference.

This is a great interview though. Back and forth without yelling or name calling. No exaggeration or hyperbole from either side. No fluff questions or meaningless softballs. Just straight questions and answers about the important issues of last 2 years.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That was fucking incredible.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

This is a great interview though. Back and forth without yelling or name calling. No exaggeration or hyperbole from either side. No fluff questions or meaningless softballs. Just straight questions and answers about the important issues of last 2 years.
    Bush wrote:
    "Heckuva job, Brownie!"

I believe it was after Katrina, and being said to the director of FEMA
    Joolander wrote: »
    Obama wrote:
    YES WE CAN... but...

I was waiting for him to say, "...but should we?" just to get Jon to bol.

Tox on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Brownie.

But yeah, I wish our politics was more like that. And the President is, ultimately, still a pretty damn persuasive guy.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My only regret is Jon didn't touch on the civil liberties issues. That's where this administration most let me down so far.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A lot of it sounded like canned answers.. But you could definitely hear the sounds of a Pres who has come down to reality.

It is ESSENTIAL that the next 2 years are focused on eliminating or changing the Fillibuster, even if it means committing political suicide.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My only regret is Jon didn't touch on the civil liberties issues. That's where this administration most let me down so far.

I wish he had too, but ultimately we're in the minority on those issues, I think. The unemployment/health care issues are a bit more... immediate?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

If you're talking about gay rights issues, then that's your own fault because pre-2008 Obama agreed it was a state's right issue and not a federal one.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I liked how Obama kept cutting in on John after he started asking harder questions. I don't think he ever let him finish a single sentence after the second commercial break.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Jon asked Obama something that Obama only barely touched on. It was about how when Obama did get into office, he found things weren't as easy as he thought they would be, etc.

Edit - I meant to say that it was something I would've asked Obama about myself, given the chance, and now it has been (finally).

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A lot of it sounded like canned answers.. But you could definitely hear the sounds of a Pres who has come down to reality.

It is ESSENTIAL that the next 2 years are focused on eliminating or changing the Fillibuster, even if it means committing political suicide.

It won't happen. The Dems suggested it before they got control back, and it was shot down. That's largely why they didn't mind using it any more than they did.

If the Dems lose the Senate again, though, they really should offer it up again. It has to be brought up by the party out of power, though, imo, to even have a chance to work.

Tox on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was only half watching, but Obama tried to hit all the stuff they did in the last two years. If only they had spent two years doing that instead of letting the GOP control the message, they wouldn't be in trouble next week.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tox wrote: »

It won't happen. The Dems suggested it before they got control back, and it was shot down. That's largely why they didn't mind using it any more than they did.

If the Dems lose the Senate again, though, they really should offer it up again. It has to be brought up by the party out of power, though, imo, to even have a chance to work.

Actually not true. The Dems were filibustering a bunch of judicial nominees and the Republicans threatened to remove it (the nuclear option). Then the Gang of 14 attention whoring monons brokered a compromise to keep the Senate more important the House.

Also: majority gets to make the rules, so at the start of a session before rules are adopted a majority could just tell the filibuster to fuck off.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Colbert is picking up on the Rand Paul thread. It's kind of a shame this incident won't affect Rand Paul much.

Athenor on
This discussion has been closed.