Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

1888990919294»

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    absolutely 100% want to avoid vnc here

the performance is garbage, even on gigabit LAN

The only other RDP-style solutions I can remember are TeamViewer and SplashTop, which are both enterprise-ish and not consumer. I think TeamViewer uses its own protocol. Not sure about SplashTop or whether either is more performant than VNC.

"You can't imagine how many shades of black there are. And white." – Fake Steve Jobs
  • bowenbowen ayyyyyyyy Registered User regular
    I thought teamviewer was basically VNC++?

Warning: I am a programmer/sysop. IANAL/IANAD, seek actual advice from certified people in their respective fields if you are actually in need of it.
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    bowen wrote: »
    I thought teamviewer was basically VNC++?

What are you looking for? Like, tabbed, multi-session support?

I just use the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client app that's available via the App Store.

[ed] To be clear, what I mentioned does not have the tabbed, multi-session support. But it works well with RDP.

iTunesIsEvil on
    I want something that implements the RDP protocol so I can connect from my windows machine to my mac mini.

VNC is way to slow to dev on

Warning: I am a programmer/sysop. IANAL/IANAD, seek actual advice from certified people in their respective fields if you are actually in need of it.
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    Ah. I missed the Apple RDP part. Ignore!

Ah. I missed the Apple RDP part. Ignore!

Yeah I probably should have said something more than "alternative to iRAPP" after the fact.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So after learning that the wife has never played a "The Sims" title, I'm tempted to pick up The Sims 2 Super Collection from the Mac App Store for us to play together.

I was thinking of connecting my Macbook Pro to my television so we don't have to huddle around a computer. What's the latency like on an Apple TV mirroring a Macbook Pro? Pretty quick or is there a few seconds of lag? I'm debating between picking up an Apple TV and picking up a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Also, does anyone know where the ambient light sensor is on the Macbook Pro? Sometimes I open the lid on my MBP but it refuses to wake. Only when I pick it up from the surface (usually to walk it over to where the charger is) does it start up. I'm thinking there's something obscuring the light sensor making the computer think it's still closed until I pick it up.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    So after learning that the wife has never played a "The Sims" title, I'm tempted to pick up The Sims 2 Super Collection from the Mac App Store for us to play together.

I was thinking of connecting my Macbook Pro to my television so we don't have to huddle around a computer. What's the latency like on an Apple TV mirroring a Macbook Pro? Pretty quick or is there a few seconds of lag? I'm debating between picking up an Apple TV and picking up a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Also, does anyone know where the ambient light sensor is on the Macbook Pro? Sometimes I open the lid on my MBP but it refuses to wake. Only when I pick it up from the surface (usually to walk it over to where the charger is) does it start up. I'm thinking there's something obscuring the light sensor making the computer think it's still closed until I pick it up.

I've never tried AirPlay mirroring for games, but it's fine for doing standard UI stuff (like using the Finder or iTunes). That being said, don't buy an Apple TV unless you also want an Apple TV.

Not sure about the light sensor (or if the light sensor even plays a role in waking up the machine), but my guess is probably near the FaceTime camera, which is dead center on the top edge of the screen.

"You can't imagine how many shades of black there are. And white." – Fake Steve Jobs
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Well then, guess I'm springing for a USB-C to HDMI adapter. I'll probably get an inexpensive one on Amazon, though to be honest Apple's isn't terribly priced for what it is. Hmm...

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Well then, guess I'm springing for a USB-C to HDMI adapter. I'll probably get an inexpensive one on Amazon, though to be honest Apple's isn't terribly priced for what it is. Hmm...

Well the Apple USB C/ thunderbolt 3 products have gone back up in price. I was shocked to see how much the LG displays are. I managed to get a referb 4K one for £180, Apple have them at over £600!

I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good laptop bag/backpack? I have a 15" 2016 MBP so it needs to fit a 14x10 laptop. Ideally it'd be super padded, while I used my current laptop bag for my older 2009 15" Pro this new one seems way more fragile.

If it had that certification where you dont need to take your laptop out of its bag when going through airport security that would be awesome, but its not something I necessarily need.

Re price, while I'm willing to spend money I have a mental block about spending $200 on a bag (even typing that sounds ridiculous, but given the cost of the laptop...).

camo_sig2.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good laptop bag/backpack? I have a 15" 2016 MBP so it needs to fit a 14x10 laptop. Ideally it'd be super padded, while I used my current laptop bag for my older 2009 15" Pro this new one seems way more fragile.

If it had that certification where you dont need to take your laptop out of its bag when going through airport security that would be awesome, but its not something I necessarily need.

Re price, while I'm willing to spend money I have a mental block about spending $200 on a bag (even typing that sounds ridiculous, but given the cost of the laptop...).

Like, what is your style? What kind of form are you more interested in?

Do you want something that looks leather/professional, black/functional, etc?

Are you fine with something that has a velcro/zippered off laptop compartment that you have to splay open when going through security as opposed to a bag that can 100% pass through as-is?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    emp123
    I think I'd prefer a backpack and I dont need leather. Black/functional is fine, although since this is a work bag it should look professional too. My greatest concern is overall protection for the laptop though, especially bottom padding which is something my current backpack lacks.

I dont mind removing my laptop from my bag when I travel, especially since I almost always travel with two so chances are I'll need to take one out regardless of solution.

I was looking at a number of Booq products since they seem to be pretty well reviewed:

Booq Cobra - it comes in black too which I think I'd prefer since I think the grey would get dirty much too quickly. Not thrilled about spending $200 on a backpack though. Seems a bit crazy to me. Then again, I've been using my current backpack for 12+ years and its going just fine (but can only take a 13" laptop in the laptop slot).
    Booq Boa - I like it, although I'm not a huge fan of the white stripe
    Booq Boa Squeeze - smaller version of the Boa and doesnt have the white stripe. I'm on the tall side (6'4) so a smaller bag is both unnecessary (although more convenient for traveling) and may look weird, and I'm a little concerned as to whether I'd be able to fit both my laptops in the smaller bag.

camo_sig2.png
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    If you're already up in the $200 range for a laptop bag, you can checkout http://www.tombihn.com They have great bags (backpack/messenger/brief case) for laptops.

PSN: spubiga | Steam: nusu | Bnet: nusu#1828 | Uplay/For Honor: spubiga
    Tweet tweet: SPUBigA
    htmemp123
    nusu wrote: »
    If you're already up in the $200 range for a laptop bag, you can checkout http://www.tombihn.com They have great bags (backpack/messenger/brief case) for laptops.

Yeah, I love Tom Bihn. And their larger bags keep your computer in a nice sleeve. Not only is that protection for your computer while it's in your backpack, you can also park your backpack in the hotel room once you arrive and just carry your computer in the sleeve.

The sleeves also don't attract the notice of the TSA. Instead of putting my bare MBP on the x-ray conveyor belt, I leave it in the sleeve and take that out of my main bag.

emp123
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    nusu wrote: »

Yeah, I love Tom Bihn. And their larger bags keep your computer in a nice sleeve. Not only is that protection for your computer while it's in your backpack, you can also park your backpack in the hotel room once you arrive and just carry your computer in the sleeve.

The sleeves also don't attract the notice of the TSA. Instead of putting my bare MBP on the x-ray conveyor belt, I leave it in the sleeve and take that out of my main bag.

I forgot about their lifetime warranty too. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a bag, getting it fixed or replaced when it has issues is a compelling bonus.

PSN: spubiga | Steam: nusu | Bnet: nusu#1828 | Uplay/For Honor: spubiga
    Tweet tweet: SPUBigA
    htmemp123
    Lifetime warranty is super nice, but $200 is like top top top of my budget since mentally it makes me gag and Tom Bihn's laptop backpacks are $190+ (with the Synapse being a flat $200, and an extra $40 for the laptop sleeve).

I think I'm gunna grab the Boa off Amazon and then see how I feel about it while keeping my eye on the Synapse (but ugh the price).

Thanks guys!

camo_sig2.png