As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo 3 Waiting Thread - Stay a while and glisten

• Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Still gonna stick with a wizard as I had already decided.

Also, Diablo 3 for GOTY 2010.

2010?

lol

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish I could see more skills for each class before I decide what I want to make first. I was firmly in the Witch Doctor camp since playing it last year at Blizzcon, but after reading some of the skill rune descriptions for the Barb and seeing him hook shot that person to him in the pvp trailer i'll be damned if i dont want to make one of them now too.

I mean one of the examples was that he has a throw weapon skill. Crimson rune sets it on fire. Golden rune makes him throw corpses. That explode.

They gave the barb a targeted corps explosion and you expect me to not want to use that shit?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

2011?

lol

Fixed.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No male version of the Demon Hunter? That makes me a little sad

vallav on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There will be

captaink on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Skab wrote: »
    I wish I could see more skills for each class before I decide what I want to make first. I was firmly in the Witch Doctor camp since playing it last year at Blizzcon, but after reading some of the skill rune descriptions for the Barb and seeing him hook shot that person to him in the pvp trailer i'll be damned if i dont want to make one of them now too.

I mean one of the examples was that he has a throw weapon skill. Crimson rune sets it on fire. Golden rune makes him throw corpses. That explode.

They gave the barb a targeted corps explosion and you expect me to not want to use that shit?

where is this goddamned video

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    There will be

I hope so, still, Demonhunter page has no Male/Female option yet. I kinda want to see how they look.

vallav on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

where is this goddamned video

No video of the panel that ive seen yet. I got my info from the recap I posted and the Kotaku live blog of it.

Edit: And Vallav, they did the same thing with the wizard/monk. male version just isnt finished/ready to be shown yet. they even said during the panel that hed be sexy like the female demon hunter!

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    vallav wrote: »
    There will be

I hope so, still, Demonhunter page has no Male/Female option yet. I kinda want to see how they look.

all the classes had their original gender only when they first came out

they post the alternate gender like a major update sometime afterwards

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There will be

thats not unusual, they just haven't revealed the art yet

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't get it, how much money is in it for blizzard to include pvp leagues?

They state themselves several times that the worst thing they did in wow was invent the arena system.

edit: lol
    "With seven skill slots to choose from, players will be able to mix and match skills from an ever-growing pool of abilities as they level. With the inclusion of skill runes, the number of combinations is almost beyond comprehension. Almost, because we took some time, did some math, and found out that the number of skill and rune combinations available in the game reaches an astronomical number of just under 97 billion. That's purely skill and rune combinations and doesn't factor in any of the other character customization systems."
    and players will still only pick 1 or 2 for their class out of the entire community.

I bet diablo 2 had similar amounts of choices, when its 10x skill points over 3x skill choices, and you count 1 skill point in a skill different then 2,3 or 20+, etc.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There will be

all the classes had their original gender only when they first came out

they post the alternate gender like a major update sometime afterwards

Ah, ok, thanks!

vallav on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Edit: And Vallav, they did the same thing with the wizard/monk. male version just isnt finished/ready to be shown yet. they even said during the panel that hed be sexy like the female demon hunter!

Gloriously prancing into combat in his high heel boots. It'll be fabulous!

reVerse on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Made for 13 year old boys or not, that trailer was pretty damned awesome.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why would you want a guy demon hunter when you can have a hot chick in armor? I don't really even understand the words you are saying.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Made for 13 year old boys or not, that trailer was pretty damned awesome.

It didn't look as good as their full blown cinematics. I think it was because they were actually using ingame models and polishing it up. Like some of the recent wrath of the lich king cinematics. So on that basis, it actually looked pretty good.

captaink on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

2010?

lol

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Read it again, in light of everything that's been talked about today, then get back to me. ;-)

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I bet diablo 2 had similar amounts of choices, when its 10x skill points over 3x skill choices, and you count 1 skill point in a skill different then 2,3 or 20+, etc.

I think it's cute that you think Diablo 2 had any 'choice' involved.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are at least three decent builds for every D2 character.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    still not getting it henroid so why don't you enlighten us feebleminded folk

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gotta say, the Demon Hunter movie reminded me of
    20060519.jpg

Separately, at least put some token mechanism/magic sparks on those crossbows that are generating bolts out of thin air and reloading themselves.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I also just found the Press Kit for Blizzcon. Lots of pics and has gameplay vids. Its 1.3g.

http://us.media.blizzard.com/blizzard/_downloads/presskits/presskit-d3-blizzcon-2010.zip

Edit: Ok yeah, 19 min in glorious 1280x720.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, "Wave of Light" is when you bludgeon someone with a 20-foot-tall iron bell. Uh huhhh...

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I've been way more excited for the info dump on Diablo 3 than any other game this year. Man I didn't think it was that difficult of a joke to trace out. I suck at this. D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm so going to use the giant toad skill.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Only if you reference Frog from Chrono Trigger every time you do.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I should not have gotten the BlizzCon virtual ticket, and I definitely should not have watched the gameplay panel for this game. Because now I want to play it. Right now.

Damn you, Blizzard. Damn yooooooooouuuuu!

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ErragalErragal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm so going to use the giant toad skill.

This is all I can think about too. Rain of toads is a close second.

Erragal on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I've been way more excited for the info dump on Diablo 3 than any other game this year. Man I didn't think it was that difficult of a joke to trace out. I suck at this. D:

Pffbbtt, maybe if mass effect 2 didn't come out this year.

Demon Hunter looks cool, the trait system is pretty sweet I suppose. Arena gets a giant meh from me. Like every other WoW player in here that didn't enjoy arenas I am automatically hateful towards the very concept if it starts getting my pve nerfed. If they remove the capacity for my giant toad to swallow demons whole because it's broken in pvp I will be hells of surly. If it's just a thing that's there, sweet.

Nothing particularly impressive today in my estimation (rune system would be but we already knew about it from way back when they first announced the game). But diablo 3 is still my second most anticipated game, right behind guild wars 2. I can't wait.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Gotta say, the Demon Hunter movie reminded me of
    20060519.jpg

Separately, at least put some token mechanism/magic sparks on those crossbows that are generating bolts out of thin air and reloading themselves.
    Yeah. This. Class seems great, but the trailer... no thanks. That was too much even for me.

Or not enough. One of those two.

Monger on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Watched the 18 minutes of footage. Looks like tons of fun. Things got appropriately hectic and crazy during co-op while fighting big groups of monsters and demon hunter was dodging all over the place.

Also, is it just me or would D3 make for a fantastic dual stick shooter?

reVerse on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    After watching the panel, am I the only one who finds the concept of pvp teams strangely alluring? This isn't WoW where you're static, standing around like a dope and go dps mode. It's frantic dodging, chasing around and drop some megahurtz. In 3v3, 4v4 or 5v5. You can form a team with your friends, take on the whole world and live like kings, stroking your egos, or your phallus, whatever makes you feel better.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Guys.

Is cryo-genic freeze technology a real thing? Like does it exist in the real world?

Can someone please place me in stasis until this game comes out?

theshiningsnow1.jpg
    more like:

1013press_cartman_and_otters.jpg

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, I'm actually pretty excited for trait points... I think I had mentioned something similar in the last thread discussion involving skill points/stat points. I'm pretty pleased with their decision to make trait points basically a modified (hopefully effective) form of stat points.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Watched the panels.

I am overwhelmingly happy that they are going to take the time to make every rune modded skill unique in some way. Its going to be so awesome to have a skill you love.. and then find a rune that makes you love it even more.

I hope one will be able to buy certain types of runes at a shop or upgrade them. Having to depend on luck to find the rune you want might get a little frustrating, especially if you have your mind set on a very particular build.

I can see now why the game is taking so long to come out. Say there are only 10 active skills per class (which is obviously quite low). There are 5 permutations of those skills (all the rune colors) over 5 classes.

so, 50 per class, for a total of 250 unique types of skill. Then, add in variety for all the different rune levels, which at the moment appear to be 7 (3 stone, 2 silver, 2 gold).

That is 1750 unique skills counting rune level (which, in the panel, was shown to effect how a skill looked in its execution, higher level runes become more "extreme").

That is a ridiculous amount of work for anyone in the animation and/or effects departments.

But holy crap am I glad they are going to the effort of making it that awesome.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    These panels are genius. That's how a game developer sells a game world/game.

goggles on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wouldnt count fire/frost/lightning/arcane hydra as a totally different and unique skill though.

But yeah, sounds fun. Hopefully wont be like D2 where i was always afraid of choosing to level anything up because it would be the wrong thing to do XD. Is there any news on respecs?

hadoken on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah I'm glad the runes seem to alter the skills a lot more than glyphs do in WoW

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    And they haven't made a bad game yet.

Warcraft 3 :?

I disliked Lost Vikings, so in my book that's a bad game.

Rock n' Roll Racing, I also consider that a bad game too.

/sorry if it offends anyone

Hey...hey...Rock N' Roll Racing is fucking amazing. Also reading through the thread and lookingnat peoples speculations.

Some people were pretty damn close

Dixon on