Options

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• Options
    gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This may be a bit of a juvenile question, but is there anywhere to get my character laid? All his charisma is going to waste! D: It just doesn't seem like Fallout if I can't earn the Gigolo perk.

gnodab on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Woo, unique plasma rifle. Let's try this shit out. I hope it's as good as A3-21's.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alright, I am a little confused.

Factional related spoilers, no real quest stuff.
    Right now I have the Legion occasionally sending assassins after me. No real big deal, since it happens pretty rarely. I was heading towards the BoS bunkers, and was stopped by a group of NCR. They warned me I had 3 days to "clean up my act" or they would be after me. Now, I can do the ambassador stuff and fix my NCR faction...but I'm just not sure.

Those fuckers came after the mad scientist, walking around the wastes with a highly modified set of plasma weaponry, who commands the very sun. I am just not sure if I want to saves these guys.

I wonder what happens if I help neither faction, and instead, just go all wrecking ball on the NCR (Perhaps that will raise my Legion faction??).

I've assisted the Van's, am working on BoS (probably going to oust the current elder), and then not sure. I have Veronica (in full power armor), and ED-E.

Factions just have me very confused. I don't really like NCR, and can't find Legion camps, plus my Legion faction is already way low.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just found an AER14 Prototype laser rifle.
    How can I repair this without paying through the nose, and why won't my laser rifle mods work with it? :(

Rizzi on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I was exploring Camp McCarran, had already talked to all the First Recon people, I'm accepted by the NCR. Then I go inside the terminal building and upstairs there's two troopers who look like they're guarding a door. I walk up to ask them if this is the CO's office or something and before I can so much as hit E they're suddenly shooting at me and my companions and then Veronica pneumatically punches them to death.

What the hell was that? OK, re-loading from autosave, gonna avoid this spot for a little bit.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    How can I repair this without paying through the nose, and why won't my laser rifle mods work with it? :(

Jury Rigging! :D

It's the answer to everything.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I broke the bank on the regenerative health surgical implant.

Gotta say, for $12,000, I don't know if it's worth it. I have 310 HP, and I seem to gain one bar of health back per 1:20 in real time. It might be really helpful if you're wandering the wastes and only hitting fights every few minutes. But in dungeon environments it's near worthless to you unless you want to wait around and go make a sandwich while you slowly heal.

I'm thinking of reloading my save.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So... if you go melee you pretty much also need to go unarmed? If you want to get the good perks that is.

Yeah. Unfortunately unarmed isn't as godly as it was in Fallout 3 however, the second you get a ballistic fist, you won't be using anything else. Pure unarmed doesn't pack the same punch at all.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ShimSham wrote: »
    I broke the bank on the regenerative health surgical implant.

Gotta say, for $12,000, I don't know if it's worth it. I have 310 HP, and I seem to gain one bar of health back per 1:20 in real time. It might be really helpful if you're wandering the wastes and only hitting fights every few minutes. But in dungeon environments it's near worthless to you unless you want to wait around and go make a sandwich while you slowly heal.

I'm thinking of reloading my save.

It's not worth it. I got it and short of fast traveling, it has zero impact. There are so many beds available where you can rest an hour and get your health back, it's really not worth the caps.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone have any input on factional stuff? Do most people just go NCR?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »

Jury Rigging! :D

It's the answer to everything.

My repair is low.
    I tagged Energy Weapons, Speech and Science. :P

Rizzi on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You get a good opportunity to side with the Legion - just keep playing the game. In fact a lot of answers to questions in this game are "Just keep playing". Also, I am now playing a mad scientist character as well: HI-FIVE.

Edit: Repair has to be the best quest related skills you can have. It just solves shit.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My next character was going to be a Mad Scientist as well, I think.

Full on Energy Weapons, Science, and... no idea, though the lure of Jury Rigging is very strong.

But really, I just wonder if anything could hurt something wearing Power Armor, with 2 ranks in Toughness, Sub-Dermal Armor, Nerd Rage! active, and possibly Whiskey Rose.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    About skills: Every Fallout until now gave you at lease one method to finish a quest. By the end, I had a handful that I couldn't finish simply because x quest required y repair skill. It's fucking dumb and Obsidian dropped the ball on that.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    You get a good opportunity to side with the Legion - just keep playing the game. In fact a lot of answers to questions in this game are "Just keep playing". Also, I am now playing a mad scientist character as well: HI-FIVE.

Edit: Repair has to be the best quest related skills you can have. It just solves shit.

Internet Hi5.

I'm pretending I have 2 robots, ED-E, and my full blown atomoton "Veronica". Who doubles as my lab assistant.
    Meiz wrote: »
    About skills: Every Fallout until now gave you at lease one method to finish a quest. By the end, I had a handful that I couldn't finish simply because x quest required y repair skill. It's fucking dumb and Obsidian dropped the ball on that.

Cass is about the best example of this. If you don't have barter or speech, or the perk that doubles the bonus of magazines and a marginal skill, you're straight fucked.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, just how important is Agility in this game? Is it as important as it was in FO 1+2?

Also, is it a good idea to start out as a character with 9 or 10 INT or should I spread those attribute points around more?

Lastly, is Foureyes a decent trait? Wouldn't bite you in the ass later on when you get power armor or is it possible to wear glasses under helmets?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot, of Repair and Science, which one gives you the most "bang for the buck" in solving quests?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there anything to do with those crows you see scattered around the place?

Also where does ED-E's companion quest start?

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Night Stalker eggs...what do they do?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think I've encountered a quest which can't be finished without a skill. Instead it just becomes really, really hard or tedious.
    Convince me with barter or give me 100 scrap metal!

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    Is there anything to do with those crows you see scattered around the place?

Also where does ED-E's companion quest start?

Shoot them.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dead Wind Cavern...Walking Box Cavern...
    What the hell is with caverns being the most dangerous places in the waste?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

? I never had that problem. Apart from scripting bugs that limited there was always a way to finish a quest apart from needing a high skill. Though it wasn't always obvious.

And I'm now totally through the game by the way (3 Playthrough ended). As of now the game is wandering onto my shelf. Week is done and next week its back to work again. Will see if I can fit a ME2 playthrough between today and tomorrow.

As for a review

Presentation 6/10
    Writing 8/10 (Not really Obsidians best work. It was painfully obvious how limiting the dialog restrictions still are. Never reaches KOTOR2, MOTB or even AP quality. Above NWN2 OC and SOZ though)
    Sound 10/10
    Voice Acting 8/10 Great throughout. Point away for repetition (Though siginificantly less than FO3)
    Replayability 10/10

So yeah, its a good game. I like it even more than FO1 but its still behind FO2 in some respects for me. Hope the success leads to further Fallout projects for Obsidian.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Night Stalker eggs...what do they do?

Sell them and use them in recipes. Depending on your mood.

Heh C2B, I would rate this game above Fallout 2 easily, but still behind Fallout :P

I rank the games:

Fallout
    Fallout: New Vegas
    Fallout 2
    Fallout 3
    Fallout: Tactics

NV just did everything right for me (except the fucking loading bug).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wasn't able to finish Helios One because I was missing science or repair.

Also, this game had WAY too much backtracking needed for certain parts. Like I want to go from floor 2 to 4 and back to 2 again? Or realize a specific door has become unlocked when it wasn't before because of some vague reference?

There's also the case where certain quests just show up as vague notes with no way points / direction within the pip boy.

There's no real satisfaction from clearing certain areas on the map. I even made it a point to get explorer to try to find things that I might have missed. When I beat it, I found a total of 1 blueprint. Ladifucking da.

If Obsidian touches this IP again, count me out. I'm not even interested in a second playthrough, hardcore or otherwise.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There are other ways of finishing Helios one without science or repair IIRC. They are just not obvious.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wasn't able to finish Helios One because I was missing science or repair.

Nope you can still finish it if you get the ID

@Aeris: Were in different camps on that one. :P

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOO, bad Aeris.

Ups sorry Aegeri

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    :(

I am going to sulk all night now. ALL NIGHT.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My thoughts upon giving it a good 8ish hours. PE 6 / AG 6 / LU 6, aiming for sniper playstyle. Kamakaze / Weird Wilderness traits, Guns / Survival / Stealth skills tagged.

- Why the hell do I get bad karma for stealing from bandits trying to kill me?
    - Not seeing the tech issues people are complaining about, other than the occasional burst of lag when seeing more than 3-4 gangsters on the screen at the same time. I'm sure it's hit or miss, but so far playing in Windowed mode on my Win7x64 machine with 6 gigs of RAM has been smooth as silk.
    - Repair seems bugged, I can repair to 100% with a 20 skill. No reason to take the skill other than the perk that lets you repair with the "wrong" items and for dialogue choices.
    - "Useless" skills like Science, Barter, and Medicine are suddenly worth it.
    - Overburdened. A lot. Same as in Fallout 3, actually. Garbage cans appear safe to stash things in, but if it's like F3 every 72 in game hours the cans recycle, so that's not long term.
    - I love how the old radio host sounds drunk, but um, did they only licence like 2 songs? They should post a thing on their website for 50s-style cover bands / original bands, I am absolutely certain they'd get people submitting their stuff just to get plugged in the game.
    - I LIKE the faction system, although I can see the difficulty in trying to join the Powder Gang or whatnot. Not sure how to get on their good sides if you start off hostile. Maybe you're supposed to turn on the tutorial lady and her town...
    - No, seriously, why the fuck do I get bad karma for stealing from bandit camps?

KiTA on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Who has come across that dude with goggles who asks you to deal with the geckos on the cliff?

EVENT SPOILER:
    Moron, I was leaving the cliff and didn't even know there was a stash until you decided to explain your master plan. Now I shall wear your goggles as a reminder to the Wasteland of what happens to people who try to backstab me.

It's moments like that that I love.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    :(

I am going to sulk all night now. ALL NIGHT.

Translation = I'm so waiting for a FF7 mod.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    - Repair seems bugged, I can repair to 100% with a 20 skill. No reason to take the skill other than the perk that lets you repair with the "wrong" items and for dialogue choices.

This is utterly not true. Late in the game, repair can save you a LOT of hours (I am not kidding here) running around looking for shit. It lets you bypass a lot of really annoying quest requirements.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Who has come across that dude with goggles who asks you to deal with the geckos on the cliff?

EVENT SPOILER:
    Moron, I was leaving the cliff and didn't even know there was a stash until you decided to explain your master plan. Now I shall wear your goggles as a reminder to the Wasteland of what happens to people who try to backstab me.

It's moments like that that I love.

If you have Weird Wilderness on, the stash is... um... A reference I don't get.
    There are 4 red balls on the ground, with 4 aces on a table, a camera, and a 5th ace under a chair. Um, ok?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    There are 4 red balls on the ground, with 4 aces on a table, a camera, and a 5th ace under a chair. Um, ok?

Its a Zybourne Clock refrence. Look it up.

Time works the same way.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

This is utterly not true. Late in the game, repair can save you a LOT of hours (I am not kidding here) running around looking for shit. It lets you bypass a lot of really annoying quest requirements.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »

Thank you. Hopefully we'll get a FAQ for this soon.

... Wait. Zybourne Clock is a SomethingAwful game? Oh christ, the Goons are invading single player offline games now. First EVE, now za worldo!

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

... Wait. Zybourne Clock is a SomethingAwful game? Oh christ, the Goons are invading single player offline games now. First EVE, now za worldo!

J.E Sawyer IS a goon.

Also its not actually a Something Awful game. It was just incredibly made fun of on that site.

C2B on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's not that weird, considering that several of Obsidians employees tend to hang around on the SA Games forum. If you want some good info I'd advice you to check up any post made by Ropekid.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So for everyone who hates the radio (I did), theres finally a radio mod up on the nexus. You can add 100 of whatever songs you want. Theres also a pack of like 400 creative commons licenced songs up there that fit the time period.

The only downside of the radio mod is the music doesnt get quiet in dialogue like the real radio does for some reason. Ive been looking at it in the GECK trying to figure out why...

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

J.E Sawyer IS a goon.

Also its not actually a Something Awful game. It was just incredibly made fun of on that site.

From SAclopedia:
    Posted by Ceyton on December 9, 2007

The Zybourne Clock was a goon project to create a sci-fi electropunk RPG using RPG Maker software. It is now best known for being a spectacular failure that makes every other failed goon project pale in comparison.

Initially started in BYOB by Rex Meteorite and Occupy Japan, the project was launched in mid-December 2006 with great fanfare. Recruitment/discussion threads were started in BYOB and Games, multiple banner ads were bought, and contributors even set up an offsite server and forum to co-ordinate development. Over 50 active contributors were claimed, some initial work was shown off, and things were looking pretty good.

Barely 2 weeks later, the whole project had imploded under a shitstorm of drama and neglect. The external site was closed, and the still-active banner ads pointed to threads that were now either locked or gassed. Although most of the action happened on the external forums, most accounts state that things immediately turned cliquey and circlejerky, and drama spread unchecked as there was no effective organization or leadership to settle disputes or co-ordinate efforts.

Although the project was short-lived, The Zybourne Clock lives on in the form of hilariously bad concept art and dialog that get brought up from time to time. Foremost among these is Johnny, a beer drinking, cigar smoking card player with a prominent moose knuckle:

qcN7f.jpg

Also this: http://shii.org/knows/Zybourne_Clock

kitch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeaaaaaaah, I just try to ignore troll dens like /b/ and SA. Better for one's sanity.

So I think I'll take a break from F:NV to switch back to F3:GoTY, which I apparently bought some time ago and forgot about. What's this about Unarmed being stupidly powerful in F3 (and nerfed in F:NV)? I've never done a melee run in, well, any Fallout, really.

KiTA on