As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Would an explosives only character be viable? or should I have a backup damage dealing skill?

I was thinking of adding sneak (you can sneak attack with explosives, right?... plus reverse pickpocketing dynamite is always fun) and repair (so I can craft more explosives). Am I correct in assuming that high luck is kind of a waste because explosives don't crit? Just messing around,

I noticed that the perk "heave, ho!" isn't my favorite. The dynamite ends up traveling too fast and flies off in a different direction. Should I take it anyway and do all of my throwing in V.A.T.S. (bleh)?

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    why is the gauss rifle an energy weapon at all?

it used to be the epitome of (small) guns.

I intended to make a simple stand alone mod for F3 that moved it to either small guns or big guns but never got around to it.

Maybe I'll do it for New Vegas.

Its not an energy weapon, all it does is magnetically sling slugs.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Would an explosives only character be viable? or should I have a backup damage dealing skill?

I was thinking of adding sneak (you can sneak attack with explosives, right?... plus reverse pickpocketing dynamite is always fun) and repair (so I can craft more explosives). Am I correct in assuming that high luck is kind of a waste because explosives don't crit? Just messing around,

I noticed that the perk "heave, ho!" isn't my favorite. The dynamite ends up traveling too fast and flies off in a different direction. Should I take it anyway and do all of my throwing in V.A.T.S. (bleh)?

I really want to make an explosives only character too. Something like the Demoman from Tf2 would be pretty cool. It's too bad you don't get any grenade rifles early in the game. Not to mention the fact that ammunition would be really hard to come by. Even mines and grenades are really rare in this game. Dunno how well using a Missile Launcher would work. Explosives might just be a secondary offensive skill for people who want to run around in Power Armor with lots of guns at their disposal.

Also, how is it that Bethesda games, games where you can recruit prostitutes, download an animated prostitution mod, and go to a strip club , all manage to avoid media controversy?

EDIT: Gauss Rifle is an Energy Weapon probably because there is no sniper equivalent in that class. Whereas Guns users have both the Anti Material Rifle and Sniper Rifle.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I intended to make a simple stand alone mod for F3 that moved it to either small guns or big guns but never got around to it.

while it doesn't make sense from a lore standpoint it's really needed in energy weapons from a balance standpoint, it's energy weapons (slightly better) equivalent to the anti material rifle without it energy weapon users are forced to stick with plasma rifle/caster spam or giant fucking laser cannon you can shoot twice before running out of ammo

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

while it doesn't make sense from a lore standpoint it's really needed in energy weapons from a balance standpoint, it's energy weapons (slightly better) equivalent to the anti material rifle without it energy weapon users are forced to stick with plasma rifle/caster spam or giant fucking laser cannon you can shoot twice before running out of ammo

to be fair

fallout 2 had the yk42b pulse rifle which was basically a gauss rifle for energy

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only bad thing was that one of its attacks would burn the target to a pile of ashes, leaving you to pick through the equipment on the ground.

That sucked.

Also, its range was incredibly short, and IIRC it only had a 10 shot payload. On the other hand, it did the most damage of any energy weapon. Good times.

Orca on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah but it's not like you were ever like ... sniping with the gauss rifle, either. it never struck me as being a sniper rifle like it is in FO3 back in FO2.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    although i guess i could give a mod a little slack if when moving the gauss rifle from energy to small guns it also moved the gatling laser from big guns to energy weapons :winky:
    also quests that cause you to fail quests you haven't gotten yet are bullshit
    brotherhood of steel questline spoilers
    To get the parts for the elder from the vaults in vault 3 i think it was, the one thats full of raiders, the parts were in the room with the raider boss, who was attack on sight to me, so i had to gun him down to get the part, and it insta failed two other quests I hadn't gotten yet..man i hate that crap

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Akilae wrote: »
    enderjsv wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    So how the hell are you supposed to stay neutral with certain factions when they start attacking you for no reason. Kinda quells the whole idea of choice, doesn't it?
    The only groups I can think of that attack you without provocation are unjoinable.

Vipers and Fiends specifically.

I wonder if it has anything to do with my karma rating. The legionares didn't used to attack me, but all of a sudden they started attacking me for no reason. The only think I can think if is that maybe they don't like good guys? It's frustrating cause I really wanted to find their home base and converse with a few of them before I pissed them off. Oh well, there's always a second playthrough.

Are you wearing NCR armor?

No. I'm wearing the armor I got from downloading the code Best Buy gives you. Besides, they didn't attack me for the longest time... You know what? I wonder if it's my companion. I bet that's it. He's a novak guy. They hate the legion. That's GOT to be it.

Edit: Yeah. That's gotta be it. He even warns you as your about to enter the area around a legionare city that he will shoot anything on site. He must have shot at a legionarre when I wasn't paying attention and that's why they started attacking me. Makes sense now.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah but it's not like you were ever like ... sniping with the gauss rifle, either. it never struck me as being a sniper rifle like it is in FO3 back in FO2.

In FO2, its range was second only to the sniper rifle. Thing was sick, yo. 40 hexes, IIRC.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man. I wish they he had warned me that he was gonna shoot at the legionares. He's an awesome companion but I wanted to stay neutral with him. Now that's two groups in the wasteland with major cities that I don't get to visit. Unless I can find someway to make them neutral again, but that doesn't seem likely.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    water levels hur hur. Spamming stimpacks but got lazy and tried to make it a stroke to far and yeah... always save before swimming.

In other news: I was looking forward to the .44 revolver and it did not dissapoint. :mrgreen:

do the boomer quests

Man. I wish they he had warned me that he was gonna shoot at the legionares. He's an awesome companion but I wanted to stay neutral with him. Now that's two groups in the wasteland with major cities that I don't get to visit. Unless I can find someway to make them neutral again, but that doesn't seem likely.

you can, keep doing the main quest

L|ama on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dear god please tell me Bethesda is aware of the console versions load times problem. When I first started playing the game the load times were fine, super fast going in and out of places, with the occasional 30 second+ one for fast travelling or loading an exterior for the first time.

Now, 20 hours in, EVERY godamn loading screen lasts for at least a minute. Freeside is a nightmare, going from the Kings, to the other side of Freeside, into a shop and back has like 6-8 minutes worth of loading and about 30 seconds of in-game travel.

I tried clearing my cache, but it doesnt work.

Prohass on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I upgraded to the new nvidia drivers, and I seem to crash less.

Apparently the d3d.dll fix is still needed, I didn't mess with it.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Prohass wrote: »
    Dear god please tell me Bethesda is aware of the console versions load times problem. When I first started playing the game the load times were fine, super fast going in and out of places, with the occasional 30 second+ one for fast travelling or loading an exterior for the first time.

Now, 20 hours in, EVERY godamn loading screen lasts for at least a minute. Freeside is a nightmare, going from the Kings, to the other side of Freeside, into a shop and back has like 6-8 minutes worth of loading and about 30 seconds of in-game travel.

If you're playing on the 360, install to the hard drive. The load times are so quick I can't even read the messages.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I installed it to the HD before even playing it, cleared the cache etc. It did start out perfect, couldnt read the messages, then gradually as you play more, (maybe about 2 or 3 hours into a run, often sooner), they get ridiculous.

Prohass on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

If you're playing on the 360, install to the hard drive. The load times are so quick I can't even read the messages.

BAWAHAHAHHAA

Yeah right.

When you first start out yeah, but if you play for an hour + the loading screens get progressively longer...This doesn't bode well for me with my 3-5 hour at a time play times.

I wish there was a way to uninstall that patch.

iRevert on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    L|ama wrote: »

you can, keep doing the main quest

Cool. That makes me feel a bit better. As soon as I find out how to make myself neutral (and I hope it's obvious) I'm ditching boone. He's a great companion, but I don't want to be villified until I absolutely have to be.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The patch caused it?

yeah when I first started playing I was like "damn I cant read these messages during the loads". Now I see like 2 or 3 screen image changes when going in and out of a store, ie, you come out, turn back around, go in again, and instead of insta-loading like it used to, 1 minute load times each way.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I installed it to the HD before even playing it, cleared the cache etc. It did start out perfect, couldnt read the messages, then gradually as you play more, (maybe about 2 or 3 hours into a run, often sooner), they get ridiculous.

I'm at level 13. Been playing quite awhile. Load times still seem pretty fast for me. Not sure what the problem is.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sounds just like unpatched FO2. They're definitely bringing back that oldschool feel! </snark>

Orca on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    So how the hell are you supposed to stay neutral with certain factions when they start attacking you for no reason. Kinda quells the whole idea of choice, doesn't it?
    The only groups I can think of that attack you without provocation are unjoinable.

Vipers and Fiends specifically.

Vipers? As in, the gang meant to be in F1? With a pit full of deadly snakes and albino members?

Are Jackals also in it? I've heard the Khans are, in their 3rd or 4th incarnation.

My God.

How am I supposed to resist buying this until the GOTY edition?!

Someone tell me there is a special dialogue option if you show up to the Khans wearing the V13 suit.

Edit: I was watching The Good, The Bad and The Ugly yesterday, and I had two ideas come to mind, based on Angel Eyes and Tuco, respectively.

Devil Eyes or Devil's Tongue (cowboy/outlaw/conman, self):
    Guns or Energy Weapons, Speech, Barter
    high CH, INT, PE, med or low ST, AG, EN, LK
    Small Frame, Kamikaze
    revolvers, cowboy hat, duster

Nuko or Nuco (cowboy/rustler/outlaw, self):
    Guns or Energy Weapons, Repair, Survival or Sneak
    high EN, AG, LK, med ST, INT, low CH, LK, PE
    Loose Cannon, Fast Shot
    revolvers, cowboy hat, duster

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Im lvl18, I only recently started to notice it, but once it starts, playtimes take less and less time to start crawling. I really hope bethesda are aware of the issue, because they are stopping me from playing their game, and one condition of the contract I made with them when buying the game was that I would be able to play it after buying it.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I asked this before but no one replied.

About the painting of the NCR President
    at camp golf I think?

Did anyone else notice
    That he appeared to be standing in front of what appeared to be a very large liberty prime-esque robot?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Im lvl18, I only recently started to notice it, but once it starts, playtimes take less and less time to start crawling. I really hope bethesda are aware of the issue, because they are stopping me from playing their game, and one condition of the contract I made with them when buying the game was that I would be able to play it after buying it.

Ugh. I hope that doesn't happen to me. But we'll see.

PS. I'm still mad I'm enemies with the legion just because I was hanging around with Boone. Ugh.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    well allying yourself with a sworn enemy of the legion will do that. The problem with leaving him until you want to do shit to the legion is that it makes it hard to get his companion quest done, but thankfully that quest doesn't do a whole lot.

L|ama on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

at camp golf I think?

Did anyone else notice
    That he appeared to be standing in front of what appeared to be a very large liberty prime-esque robot?
    That was
    Mr. House, I do believe. It would actually make a lot of sense if Robco actually had their own giant military robot project going as a competitor to Liberty Prime, like a big-ass Protectron or something.

And then it gets taken out by some dude with an RPG or something.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »

at camp golf I think?

Did anyone else notice
    That was
    Mr. House, I do believe. It would actually make a lot of sense if Robco actually had their own giant military robot project going as a competitor to Liberty Prime, like a big-ass Protectron or something.

And then it gets taken out by some dude with an RPG or something.

Here is a screenshot
    Actually now that you point it out
    You are right, it is house. I didnt expect there to be such a high quality undegraded painting of House to be in a NCR camp, even if it was a resort 200 years ago

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just want to say that the Hunter perk (75% more crit damage on animals) sure does level the playing field against those fucking death moths. It's a great alternative to Animal Friend for the less charismatic.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    well allying yourself with a sworn enemy of the legion will do that. The problem with leaving him until you want to do shit to the legion is that it makes it hard to get his companion quest done, but thankfully that quest doesn't do a whole lot.
    He gets bitchin' armor.

...which I guess you can give him on your own.

Well, either way. Boone's a cool guy, so I want to help him out.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ooo another update on the 360 i think, wonder what it does

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ooo another update on the 360 i think, wonder what it does

You sure you didn't just clear your cache? I don't see any new updates. :(

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hm, I think I'm doing something wrong. I'm level 21 and still really can't do a lot against a deathclaw or even a super mutant master. I haven't found much in the way of small guns past my old hunting rifle and service rifle, though I do have an ever growing collection of unique energy weapons. I did just find a 12.7mm SMG (to which I say what? A 50 caliber SMG?), but considering I didn't even know it existed until the brotherhood lady sold it to me ammo is going to be a bit of a hassle. Also grabbed the Ranger Sequoia, but 45/70 ammo seems to be similarly rare.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Buy and sell ammo you dont need, or convert it into ammo you do. Swimming in it you will be.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That Service Rifle is pretty low-quality. Ever check in with the Gun Runners to see what they have in stock? If you're 21, look for a Brush Rifle.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gun Runners are awesome. I got my Anti-materiel rifle and Marksman Carbine there, and they are both incredible.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

I really want to make an explosives only character too. Something like the Demoman from Tf2 would be pretty cool. It's too bad you don't get any grenade rifles early in the game. Not to mention the fact that ammunition would be really hard to come by. Even mines and grenades are really rare in this game. Dunno how well using a Missile Launcher would work. Explosives might just be a secondary offensive skill for people who want to run around in Power Armor with lots of guns at their disposal.

Yea, looking at the crafting recipes that make explosives, 2/3 need dynamite anyway. If you side with the powder gangers you can receive
    5 dynamite and some gun powder every few days
    but it's not really enough to do an explosion only character. Maybe I'll end up doing an explosion + unarmed secondary sneak character.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That Service Rifle is pretty low-quality. Ever check in with the Gun Runners to see what they have in stock? If you're 21, look for a Brush Rifle.

The service rifle was such a huge frelling disappointment. Starting with the fact that it's not full-auto.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Hm, I think I'm doing something wrong. I'm level 21 and still really can't do a lot against a deathclaw or even a super mutant master. I haven't found much in the way of small guns past my old hunting rifle and service rifle, though I do have an ever growing collection of unique energy weapons. I did just find a 12.7mm SMG (to which I say what? A 50 caliber SMG?), but considering I didn't even know it existed until the brotherhood lady sold it to me ammo is going to be a bit of a hassle. Also grabbed the Ranger Sequoia, but 45/70 ammo seems to be similarly rare.

I was 25ish, in reinforced metal armor, with a sniper rifle doing sneak attack criticals and I still got brutalized by deathclaws.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Graviija wrote: »
    Gun Runners are awesome. I got my Anti-materiel rifle and Marksman Carbine there, and they are both incredible.

Hm, guess I'll have to go back there. Unfortunately I just spent most of my caps buying extra suits of power armor to repair my T-51b, maybe I'll go gambling.

Fats on