As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread.

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey gang,

As we announced just prior to launch (in this now classic post right here) John Lennon's Imagine is coming as DLC. But guess what? It's coming next week! Check out the details below and get your piano hands ready! And if you don't have an extra set of piano hands then your regular hands should do.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 3 system (Nov. 23):

“Crippled Inside”
    “Jealous Guy”
    “It’s So Hard”
    “I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama”
    “Gimme Some Truth”
    “Oh My Love”
    “How Do You Sleep?” X
    “How?”
    “Oh Yoko!”

(All tracks are original master recordings)

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 system Nov. 24)

These tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks, as well as “Imagine (Album)” on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song

$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song

$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

$14.99, £7.49 UK, €10.99 EU (1,200 Microsoft Points, 1,500 Wii Points) for Imagine (Album)

Also, Power Gig dev lays off a chunk of their workers.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd be more interested in the keyboard-focused stuff if the fucking keyboard wasn't impossible to find. Every store around here says they got like, a few, and that's it. There are still a bunch of pre-orders to fill before the EBs can even start selling them to others. It's really annoying.

Indeed. Much to my wife's dismay I was determined to get a hold of the keyboard in the first couple weeks instead of putting it on my christmas list. After my dreams were constantly broken for those two weeks I reluctantly gave up the search and put it on my list.

If I'm not playing keyboards on christmas morning Santa is in for a world of hurt.

I'm assuming 360? I struggled to find mine too - PS3/Wii keyboards all around me but 360 keyboard only was insanely hard to find. I lucked out at an out of the way Gamestop that had one left. It was worth it - my only complaint is waiting for Billy Joel at this point - that and wishing they'd add keyboards to The Final Countdown.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How Do You Sleep...was that the song John wrote about Paul?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can anyone confirm which version of the Bon Jovi Who Said You Can't Go Home track it is? It's it the Bon Jovi only version or the duet with the singer from Sugarland? The wife wants to know...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Can anyone confirm which version of the Bon Jovi Who Said You Can't Go Home track it is? It's it the Bon Jovi only version or the duet with the singer from Sugarland? The wife wants to know...

YouTube is a wonderful thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHxFDpCPbo

Arikado on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yes.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yes. Mostly in response to Paul's RAM album (listen to Too Many People on that album -- a lot more subtle, but still full of attacks... John tended to be a lot more direct in his attacks.)

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    RBN songs on PS3 and Wii:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    Here's the songs coming to RBN on PlayStation 3 on November 23:

Demon Hunter – “The World is a Thorn”
    Rodrigo y Gabriela – “Hanuman”
    Otep – “Smash the Control Machine”
    Warbringer – “Living in a Whirlwind”
    Sleater-Kinney – “Rollercoaster”

And here's the songs coming to RBN on Wii on November 23:

Evile – “Now Demolition”
    Evile – “Infected Nation”
    Amberian Dawn – “Shallow Waters”
    Amberian Dawn – “Incubus”
    Jonathan Coulton – “Betty and Me”
    The Myriad Burial – “Death Quota for Purification”
    Band of Horses – “No One’s Gonna Love You”
    Heaven Ablaze – “Parhelia”
    LoveHateHero – “America Underwater”
    Excruciating Thoughts – “In Memory”

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    shutz wrote: »

Yes. Mostly in response to Paul's RAM album (listen to Too Many People on that album -- a lot more subtle, but still full of attacks... John tended to be a lot more direct in his attacks.)

Yes, there was some bottled up emotions between the members for a bit.

Literally, every single one of them.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    shutz wrote: »

Yes, there was some bottled up emotions between the members for a bit.

Literally, every single one of them.

If My Sweet Lord and He's So Fine showed up as DLC, especially in the same week, I'd laugh my ass off.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, I really feel like I wasted my 160 bucks.

First, the keyboards just got to Canada, almost a month after its release date.

The keyboard in arcade mode is retarded. I was doing expert within minutes and its not fun or challenging at all.

The pro keys are extremely hard (which is fine) but the training blows. Its vague descriptions, no VO, and it only trains you for keytar mode (which is retarded)

Oh, and the glitch that blew out one of my speakers that has 20+ page thread on harmonix website with people complaing about it (which has been ignored).

The set list sucks, but they released that before and there is tons of DLC so thats ok.

I am so fucking disappointed with this game, I cant believe I spent this money.

No wonder this developer is being sold.

No wonder.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I still want to be able to play Afterlife in RB3.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The pro keys are extremely hard (which is fine) but the training blows. Its vague descriptions, no VO, and it only trains you for keytar mode (which is retarded)

What.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

What.

Yeah I thought that part was particularly dumb.

Endaro on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think he's complaining that it doesn't teach you to play purely right-handed keyboard parts with 2 hands.

In other words he's dumb.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MegaManMegaMan The Blue Shooty Guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I've been playing Pro Guitar for the past day, and so far, it's kicking my ass, but I'm loving it.

I'm pretty good at standard guitar, able to finish most songs on expert and FC most of the easier ones. But this instrument has reset me back to Rock Band Day One, making me feel like the first time I ever picked up a plastic guitar. Re-orienting the way I read the note highway, teaching myself to find the correct frets by feel and by reading the number that pops up on screen, and learning the feel of which strings to pluck is a huge challenge, but very, very rewarding for me in a way that trying to learn the keyboard has so far not been.

I strongly encourage those of you with the cash to pick up the Mustang and try it out. Pro Guitar has already made RB a whole new game for me.

MegaMan on
    "Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MegaMan wrote: »
    So I've been playing Pro Guitar for the past day, and so far, it's kicking my ass, but I'm loving it.

I'm pretty good at standard guitar, able to finish most songs on expert and FC most of the easier ones. But this instrument has reset me back to Rock Band Day One, making me feel like the first time I ever picked up a plastic guitar. Re-orienting the way I read the note highway, teaching myself to find the correct frets by feel and by reading the number that pops up on screen, and learning the feel of which strings to pluck is a huge challenge, but very, very rewarding for me in a way that trying to learn the keyboard has so far not been.

I strongly encourage those of you with the cash to pick up the Mustang and try it out. Pro Guitar has already made RB a whole new game for me.

Damn it, you're going to make me spend another $150 on this game.

I'll also throw in that pro drums is a quantum leap over regular drums in fun.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not every song is better on Pro Drums though. In fact, I kinda really hate most of the Rush songs, just because of all the 16th note hi-hat patterns interspersed with blue cymbal, a chart technique that made some sense as pads but is totally irritating as cymbals.

Also, Science Genius Girl is retarded on pro.

metaghost on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It throws you for a loop, but it is a lot more like those songs would actually be played. Just takes a bit to get used to registering that red on the left as a downward, right-hand motion, then it's the same as it ever was.

On another note, kinda excited to get my Mustang tomorrow finally. Amazon delayed it until they had to do Saturday shipping for some reason, but at least it's on track to get here provided FedEx doesn't bone up their end of the deal. Ended up caving after putting some "mutes" on the guitars I have and realizing that the "disconnect" people are mentioning between the strings and frets will actually still be there on the real Strat, unless you play with the mute off which looks to be a hassle.

Suddenly making your guitar silent really throws off your sense of perspective. No longer does a G chord sound like a G chord to reaffirm your placement - indeed it sounds the same as pure nonsense.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    It throws you for a loop, but it is a lot more like those songs would actually be played.

Well except that open hi-hat would be the same cymbal.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll also throw in that pro drums is a quantum leap over regular drums in fun.

Hell yeah dude.

Also; bass T-Shirt get woo!

On Pro Guitar: I'm going to hold out for the Squier. Will be like getting a new game next year.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It throws you for a loop, but it is a lot more like those songs would actually be played.

Well except that open hi-hat would be the same cymbal.

Right, thus "more like" instead of "exactly like".

Though I'm never scrutinizing the sound of open hi-hat vs. ride cymbals in those quick sections, especially since I usually would only care when the drums are clack, clacking anyway.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think I'm going to be able to enjoy pro drums until I get an e kit one far off day. The cymbals are just too inaccurate. It might be different if I'm just playing for fun, but when I'm trying to get spades, it's really annoying.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't think I'm going to be able to enjoy pro drums until I get an e kit one far off day. The cymbals are just too inaccurate. It might be different if I'm just playing for fun, but when I'm trying to get spades, it's really annoying.

I was going through this the other day, but Fyrewulf pointed out that the looser the cymbal, the better it should work in theory. And it does seem to be true, though they're still capable of dropping random notes. The added noise is irritating, but basically loosen the nuts all the way and see how your scores improve.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    metaghost wrote: »

I was going through this the other day, but Fyrewulf pointed out that the looser the cymbal, the better it should work in theory. And it does seem to be true, though they're still capable of dropping random notes. The added noise is irritating, but basically loosen the nuts all the way and see how your scores improve.

I remember this discussion and just re-read it to double-check even - I think you misread his post. To re-iterate, he said:
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    It shouldn't be double hitting when it's angled.. that's bad piezo sensitivity, which are reacting to the actual hit of the sticks and not the movement of the plastic.

Unless he intended otherwise and just worded it poorly, that opening sentence simply suggests that loosening your cymbals shouldn't lessen accuracy, not that loosening your cymbals improves it.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else having problems with the music store? The thing keeps kicking me off with an unable to connect message, doesn't matter if its rb3 or rb2, and everything else on live seems to work fine. Started yesterday.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I remember this discussion and just re-read it to double-check even - I think you misread his post. To re-iterate, he said:
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    It shouldn't be double hitting when it's angled.. that's bad piezo sensitivity, which are reacting to the actual hit of the sticks and not the movement of the plastic.

Unless he intended otherwise and just worded it poorly, that opening sentence simply suggests that loosening your cymbals shouldn't lessen accuracy, not that loosening your cymbals improves it.

Except loosening DID improve it. So while he may just be saying "it doesn't matter if the cymbal is loose or not, it's all about the piezo," it apparently did matter. As I pointed out in that discussion, I went and sat down in front of Maps and just tested the accuracy of green at different strengths of attack as I loosened the nut.

metaghost on
  • Options
    JimmyhatesyouJimmyhatesyou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else having problems with the music store? The thing keeps kicking me off with an unable to connect message, doesn't matter if its rb3 or rb2, and everything else on live seems to work fine. Started yesterday.

I was getting this last night, about 9:00pm mst. Haven't tried today at all.

Jimmyhatesyou on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If they're too loose, you'll miss hits, but too tight and you'll double-hit.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I was getting this last night, about 9:00pm mst. Haven't tried today at all.

Yeah it was happening to me as well. I was kicking around the idea of picking up the bon jovi pack but the stores lack of cooperation made my decision for me.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If they're too loose, you'll miss hits, but too tight and you'll double-hit.

Bingo - loosening from over-tightened may improve your results, but looser=better is not a universal truth. If you just don't put a nut on the top at all you won't have the most accurate cymbals out there.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll try loosening them, then.

Kinda surprised that finishing the next to last road challenge didn't give me enough fans to do the last one. Guess I gotta look at the other challenges.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just spent most of the afternoon/evening with the Mustang. Worked my way up to the Expert stuff in the lessons.

It was really unwieldy at first use, but about an hour into diving headfirst into Expert (but easy) songs I was fairly comfortable with it. A few hours later, and I was more than comfortable with everything lower than the 12th fret, which is about my level with real guitar. The "strict adherence" to the chart that people had mentioned and that I was worried about isn't actually as big a factor as I feared. For example, my cheap little F chord variation (I think correctly titled it's Fmaj7/E - I just play it like a C chord and add that F on the D string) totally counts when they want the full F-Barre.

Definitely going to be playing a lot of this mode for the near future - hopefully it holds up as well as the main game has for me.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, with all the flak regular guitar gets, it really did wonders for my alternate picking skills on my real guitar.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Anyone happen to know if there's a way to buy the Pro Upgrades for songs without going into the Music Store through RB3?

The Doors' Pro parts were actually available on the marketplace-at-large, but everything since then I can't find a trace of. It wouldn't be as big an issue if I could access the Music Store through RB3 at all.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    NyxyxylythNyxyxylyth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Amazon updated the Mad Catz MIDI PRO adapter ship date from November 28th to December 26th.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Rock-Band-MIDI-PRO/dp/B00409SOD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288531913&sr=8-1

Sigh.

Nyxyxylyth on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nyxyxylyth wrote: »
    Amazon updated the Mad Catz MIDI PRO adapter ship date from November 28th to December 26th.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Rock-Band-MIDI-PRO/dp/B00409SOD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288531913&sr=8-1

Sigh.

The one thing that I'm looking forward to the most for some random reason, too. Great.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's Amazon, though - and while I love Amazon more than a consumer probably should, the Mad Catz store is still showing a November 26 release date for it. This is the same Mad Catz store that was shipping Mustangs out long before the "official" release date that other stores had.

EDIT: Interesting to note - the sidebar for the Mad Catz store at large has a "Value Bundles" section. Currently it takes you to page with a lot of flight-sim setup bundles, but you can change the view to show "Rock Band" items, which leaves you with a page that says "Coming Soon..."

Maybe it's been there a while, but I just noticed it now at any rate. Those who have been waiting until the holiday sales for any RB3 accessories may want to just keep an eye on that as the holidays get even nearer.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OK probably going to have to ship wireless RB3 strat back to Amazon, it simply refuses to 'sync' with my 360 half the time.

Never had this problem with any other controllers, anyone know anything about it?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Never heard of it before unfortunately. Might be worth contacting Mad Catz about it, though - I doubt the manual's common-problem troubleshooting section would cover something like that.

Another holiday-ish deal for those who've been waiting - Amazon's been doing some pre-Black Friday deals, and today has got some combo deals for RB3 or Beatles: Rock Band:
    -The Beatles: Rock Band and The Beatles: Rock Band X360 Wireless Rickenbacker 325 Guitar Controller for $59.99
    -Rock Band 3 and Rock Band 3 Wireless Pro-Drum and Pro-Cymbals Kit for PS3 $149.99

Though it only says PS3 on the latter deal, the same price applies to the 360 and Wii versions of the deal.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png