Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    metaghost wrote: »
    Are you making setlists? Because setlists will average out the difficulty for the chosen instrument.

I did not know that.

Well, apparently not the average as per the previous exchange. But yeah. I'd noticed that it was never quite accurate until I'd figured it was doing the same thing as in GDRB, which I had presumed meant the average for the instruments. I guess it 'works' even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    shutz wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »
    I was under the impression that you could have more than one of each instrument in this (two guitars, etc). I haven't been able to do so yet; is this even possible/ what am I doing wrong?

That's not possible. It's a Guitar Hero feature, not RB.

Although I believe it's possible to actually play with up to 3 plastic guitars: one playing the guitar track, one playing the bass track, and one playing the keyboard track. If anyone here knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong, as I only own 2 plastic guitars, and have yet to find a keyboard for the 360.

so, if we're playing locally on a song with no Keys part does the keyboardist have to back out or is it possible to play two guitar/bass parts?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was under the impression that you could have more than one of each instrument in this (two guitars, etc). I haven't been able to do so yet; is this even possible/ what am I doing wrong?

Although I believe it's possible to actually play with up to 3 plastic guitars: one playing the guitar track, one playing the bass track, and one playing the keyboard track. If anyone here knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong, as I only own 2 plastic guitars, and have yet to find a keyboard for the 360.

so, if we're playing locally on a song with no Keys part does the keyboardist have to back out or is it possible to play two guitar/bass parts?

The keyboardist has to back out. No part can be played twice.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

You sure? Because there seems to be a lot of opportunities for instruments to do nothing whilst a song plays in a setlist. Guitarists having to wait through Imagine during the ELS3, for example.

Obviously, if you're only selecting a single song, then yeah.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Again, I'm not quite sure how it works out for online play, but locally, when you try to start a playlist that includes a song where one of the active instruments is not available (i.e., you have a keyboardist, but you pick a song where no keyboard parts are available) there will be a warning that asks you if you still want to continue, and (assuming you say yes) when you reach that song, that player won't have anything to do.

For example, on my first night with RB3, I made an 8-song playlist using only RB3 songs I was dying to play. I set myself up for voxtar, but I included Imagine (which has no guitar) so the game asked if I was really sure, and I said yes. When I got to Imagine, the note highway for guitar still displayed, but there were no notes to play, so I only had to sing.

I really like how they handle this. It's way better than greying-out songs in the song list according to which instruments are connected, like how RB2 used to do it.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

You sure? Because there seems to be a lot of opportunities for instruments to do nothing whilst a song plays in a setlist. Guitarists having to wait through Imagine during the ELS3, for example.

Obviously, if you're only selecting a single song, then yeah.

I have to admit, we play songs one at a time in quickplay, never using setlists. When doing so, the keyboardist doesn't have to back out per se, but rather drop out at the instrument selection screen for that song and rejoin for the next one featuring keys.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Did you spend $30 on 360 DLC in October? Then you'll probably start getting your free 800 points soon. And it seems the RB2 export did, in fact, count.
    I know this sounds like its not related to Rock Band at all but it is, heres the story. Last month Microsoft had a promotion going on if you spend $30 on add ons and arcade games you get 800 points back. There were people claiming that the RB2 export did not count towards this but that is not the case. I only spent $30 worth of points last month and $10 of those were used for the export and the other $20 on RB DLC and RBN tracks only. So bottom line is that the export was counted towards the promotion. And expect your points soon.

I've checked my XBL e-mail and no notification yet, but I don't know if there is supposed to be an e-mail notification. So anyway, those points are rolling out soon.

EDIT:
    Apparently there is no e-mail.
    No. No notice or anything.I was just checking achievements and i noticed the points there.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ooo I'm gettin some pointz then

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    David_T wrote: »
    Huh. Thrill Is Gone is 33 MB, Stayin' Alive is 33 MB, Whiter Shade of Pale is 13 MB? That's a bit of a jump.

Is Whiter Shade of Pale monoaural perhaps? It is a rather drastic size discrepancy.

metaghost on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Let's see... October I got the Borderlands DLC, Doors pack, and the export. That should be enough I hope.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That might explain where the extra 800 points came from...
    So... Obsessive Completionist. Yeah, not happening anytime ever.

Though I did find it nifty that if you partially completed a goal, say play these 5 specific songs, and you've already played some of them, if you select the goal from the menu you only have to play what's left instead of playing the whole thing.

Also, I was going for the 500 bass streak and got it on The Look on hard, which is rated 5 devils but didn't seem all that bad. Is it like Orithani and Metallica where there's a huge jump between 5 dots and 5 devils?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The 'Obsessive' goal? It's simply a matter of getting 100% on all the disc songs on Expert. Any instrument. Not sure if it is a collective kind of goal where you can miss a note on one run and then hit it on a separate run and get credit or not.

But yeah, there's definitely a reason there is no achievement tied to it.

As far as the ratings? I can't comment on The Look on bass, but there are a couple of devil tier guitar songs that I've got gold stars for. So the ratings are definitely more subjective than they've ever been. Even when they might be accurate.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Obsessive compulsive isn't getting 100% on expert on ANY instrument, its getting it on EVERY instrument. Hit every note, on everything, in the game.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Obsessive compulsive isn't getting 100% on expert on ANY instrument, its getting it on EVERY instrument. Hit every note, on everything, in the game.

Except I have about 12 checked off and I don't own drums.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So excited. After thinking it would have to wait till Xmas I managed to do enough tradeins to get the keyboard. Out of the 3 Gamestops around me only one had a 360 keyboard without the game so tonight after work I get to grab it and spend the entire night playing (unless the wife steals it which is bound to happen too).

Have they officially announced plans to keyboardify older tracks or is it still up in the air?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They already did for three Bon Jovi tracks. This has been met with some derision. Their future plans can be summed up by 'We want to, but no promises.'

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They already did for three Bon Jovi tracks. This has been met with some derision. Their future plans can be summed up by 'We want to, but no promises.'

"We want to, but you'll have to re-buy the song if we can even get the license again"

same with harmonies

MrDelish on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aside from the Queen pack and Moving Pictures, what major keyboard songs are available? Foreplay/Long Time... that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, and I'm not trying very hard.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "Carry On Wayward Son"
    The Cars
    The Who
    Oasis
    Boston

Just off the top of my head.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    In the end, until they do something with DLC that does not have keys charted to another instrument (let's be honest here, they *have* to re-chart songs like Smokin' if they update for keys), we can't say for certain how it's going to happen. But since many of the early songs, and others being prominent examples, a whole new version is practically mandatory.

Also, don't forget like MrDelish says, Harmonies are also a thing. HMX probably won't prioritise non-keys songs for update, but that doesn't mean there aren't songs where it could happen.

And there is a complaint thread about how Pro guitar updates aren't visible by people who didn't buy them. It really looks like the only way they could've resolved this and limit the complaints would've simply been to offer the all-in-one tracks at the slightly higher prices. HMX probably could've avoided the issue if they'd started charging $3 for some songs a few years ago.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    "Carry On Wayward Son"
    The Cars
    The Who
    Oasis
    Boston

Oh, and Charlene. Kinda.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    "Carry On Wayward Son"
    The Cars
    The Who
    Oasis
    Boston

Oh, and Charlene. Kinda.

Don't stop believin' is another that could use both harmonies and keys added, and I don't think they're charted either.

The keys I mean.

So I wonder what surprises will be announced Friday. I've got 800 points I'm looking to spend (after doing the math, it would be better to buy all the Bon Jovi tracks so I'm holding off on them).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, I finally had my first crash on the loading screen with the amp going down the ramp. Do I get to join the club now?

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    NyxyxylythNyxyxylyth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I wish that were true. Unfortunately I already have 50something checked off for that goal, mostly from 100% vocal runs. So it looks like you just have to get 100% for every song, on ANY (as opposed to EVERY) instrument, Expert.

It definitely doesn't combine runs together.

Nyxyxylyth on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nyxyxylyth wrote: »

I wish that were true. Unfortunately I already have 50something checked off for that goal, mostly from 100% vocal runs. So it looks like you just have to get 100% for every song, on ANY (as opposed to EVERY) instrument, Expert.

It definitely doesn't combine runs together.

I wondered about that. Meh. It's not like it was important.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh, hey! By the way? Whiter Shade of Pale would like it to be known that the piano was so important that it needed to be charted to the guitar.

Cartwheels 'cross the floor.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Guess that answers what they'll chart if a song has two distinct pianos playing (and have seperate masters)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So for those of you interested, part 6 (out of who knows how many, possibly 9 or 10) of my "Beyond the Band" is up.
    Here's the link to the whole thing: http://professionalamatures.blogspot.com

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Arikado on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't see myself buying anything off that pack. Granted, it's not bad music, just not stuff I would really want to play in RB.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That seems to be a kind of problem right now. If they're going to stick with stuff that showcases keys, sometimes they're going to pick things that may not be the best overall choice. And it's a full-album, which probably means Jealous Guy will be cherry-picked and the rest will struggle for a long while. Oh well.

I'm pretty much just biding my time until they release the Billy Joel stuff next month. Unless they come up with something really fantastic before then.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd be more interested in the keyboard-focused stuff if the fucking keyboard wasn't impossible to find. Every store around here says they got like, a few, and that's it. There are still a bunch of pre-orders to fill before the EBs can even start selling them to others. It's really annoying.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They could just release anything post Powerslave Maiden. Synth guitar could be charted to keys right?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd be more interested in the keyboard-focused stuff if the fucking keyboard wasn't impossible to find. Every store around here says they got like, a few, and that's it. There are still a bunch of pre-orders to fill before the EBs can even start selling them to others. It's really annoying.

Indeed. Much to my wife's dismay I was determined to get a hold of the keyboard in the first couple weeks instead of putting it on my christmas list. After my dreams were constantly broken for those two weeks I reluctantly gave up the search and put it on my list.

If I'm not playing keyboards on christmas morning Santa is in for a world of hurt.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You hear that Santa?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have an extra PS3 keyboards that I need to sell back to walmart but I'd rather make a little less money and help someone out here if someone wants to buy it on discount... PM me if you're interested

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You hear that Santa?

Yes. Yes, I did.
    Coal_Hands.png

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They could just release EVERYTHING pre-and-post Powerslave Maiden.

Fixed that for ya!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You hear that Santa?

Yes. Yes, I did.
    Coal_Hands.png

Fuck me sideways reported for awesome. :^:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate having broken headphones, my guitar playing is so much worse when I can hear the clacking.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal