As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Startled the [Chat]!

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LoLing was pretty bad for me tonight.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I need to build. Damned Colapture server being down.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    The vet is putting my dog to sleep tomorrow morning, I'll see her before then but no way in hell am I watching the needle go in. My parents will stay for the whole thing though.

Fuck tomorrow is going to suck. And I don't think I'll ever look at Haloween the same again.

Noooooo. :(

Do you have adorable pictures that we can see?

How old was she?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm at work too Than.

Let me present to you a moral quandry. I don't want to be too specific in case I'm ever discovered on the interweb.

So a coworker of mine has a job description in which he is realistically supposed to be staying later than most if not the latest. It is indeed in his job description. It is in anyone in his position's job description. To stay very late.

However, he is an Orthodox Jew. So every Friday, which is arguably the most work-intensive evening, he always leaves before sundown, and has to be home before then, so hes out BY 5 every Friday and every holiday.

It's like, you can't discriminate, but how is he doing his job?
    This isn't a moral quandary; it's a legal one.

Contrary to popular belief, employers aren't required to be purely non-discriminatory when it comes to religion; if someone's religion prevents them from doing a job, then they aren't qualified for that job, and they can be dismissed/fired/not hired for it on the basis of that lack of qualification. However, bringing religion into it does require that a strict scrutiny test be applied to examining the dismissal.

What it comes down to is whether or not the requirement is a "bona fide occupational qualification," or "BFOQ." Is it a very important part of the job, or is it something incidental that can easily be worked around in light of his religious beliefs?

If it's negatively affecting your work environment (i.e. you have to pick up a lot of slack because he's not there), you can totally file a complaint with H.R. about it. Odds are, the reason the higher-ups are letting him get away with it is twofold: 1) you cover for him, so they don't notice that he's slacking off so much, and 2) it could potentially be some trouble for them if they were to dismiss him (he could sue them; he probably wouldn't win, but he could). Filing a complaint would make it clear to them that not firing him for not doing his job could be a lot of trouble, too.

Keep in mind that if you do file a complaint, make sure you don't desperately need this job; regardless of what the law says, it could easily end in your dismissal. Also, I am not a lawyer; someone like SiG or dots or one of the other attorneys on the board is probably going to know more about this than me, and be able to give better advice.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »

So build in your own world?
    The vet is putting my dog to sleep tomorrow morning, I'll see her before then but no way in hell am I watching the needle go in. My parents will stay for the whole thing though.

Fuck tomorrow is going to suck. And I don't think I'll ever look at Haloween the same again.

I'm sorry, sweetie. *hug hug* Losing a pet is never fun.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Steve don't you work in hollywood/showbusiness?

I wouldn't file a complaint about someone's Jewish practices

Just sayin

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

Just sayin
    Yeah, this is something to keep in mind, too.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

D:

I'm so sorry, man. That hella sucks.

You should really try to be there with her, though; give her comfort in her last moments. Poor doggie.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

How old was she?

I have some DSi pics of her but I'm not sure if I'll be able to post them here since they're on a Wii/DSi memory stick.

And she was a 13 1/2 year old miniature dachshund. Cancer got her, and we just found out this earlier in the afternoon.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

Just sayin

Haha yeah I do, and I'm not having a go at the guy. He's a nice guy and he does his work while he's here, it's more anecdotal than anything. I guess calling it a quandry was the wrong word. It's just something that amuses me and that I think about often. It's like agh he's making it harder for everyone but dude has convictions so you can't blame him. It'd be one thing if he was using it as an excuse but he's not.

It's just like, nobody wants to throw him under the bus but when we get mad phone calls and he's not here to address them it's like dude!

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

How old was she?

I have some DSi pics of her but I'm not sure if I'll be able to post them here since they're on a Wii/DSi memory stick.

And she was a 13 1/2 year old miniature dachshund. Cancer got her, and we just found out this earlier in the afternoon.

At least she lived a long life for a dog.

I'm still sorry to hear and I hope all goes well.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was there when we had to put our jack russell to sleep. It was very surreal and peaceful, and then we all wept for like an hour

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Just sayin
    Haha yeah I do, and I'm not having a go at the guy. He's a nice guy and he does his work while he's here, it's more anecdotal than anything. I guess calling it a quandry was the wrong word. It's just something that amuses me and that I think about often. It's like agh he's making it harder for everyone but dude has convictions so you can't blame him. It'd be one thing if he was using it as an excuse but he's not.

It's just like, nobody wants to throw him under the bus but when we get mad phone calls and he's not here to address them it's like dude!
    I don't think it counts as "convictions" when you deliberately take on a job where you know that your religion's requisite ceremonies are going to cause you to foist a bunch of extra work off on your fellow employees. In fact, I would call that "bullshit." If he really had convictions, he would find a job where he's not fucking over a bunch of other people in order to please his imaginary sky-person.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

Too small after working on this. Plus it went down while I was in the middle of a a building we had been working on for hours. Finally the ideas broke and we were ready to knock out what was left and boom, server went down.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Just sayin

I don't think it counts as "convictions" when you deliberately take on a job where you know that your religion's requisite ceremonies are going to cause you to foist a bunch of extra work off on your fellow employees. In fact, I would call that "bullshit." If he really had convictions, he would find a job where he's not fucking over a bunch of other people in order to please his imaginary sky-person.

In this economy, people that the jobs they can get.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Too small after working on this. Plus it went down while I was in the middle of a a building we had been working on for hours. Finally the ideas broke and we were ready to knock out what was left and boom, server went down.

Spoiled.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    What the hell is wrong with my eye?

I've been kind of under the weather all week with allergies or something - stuffy sinuses, trouble breathing, and general suckiness - but literally just a few minutes ago my friends noticed this:
    5127145683_d89b018392.jpg

any ideas?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Spoiled.

Certainly. Plus being able to /time day is really nice.

@jakob looks like an allergy. Take some benadryl.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Could be an infection, Jacob.

Do you have insurance? Might want to go to Urgent Care.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    thanatooooos

why do you always send me mean messages when I am in bed

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Could be a demon inside your eye, Jacob.

Do you have religion? You might want to give more money to it.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Than Nerdgasmic is underage.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

grass on the field etc

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quick, somebody give me a slutty-sounding crayon color name!

Godfather on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Two in the Pink

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Pleasure Pink

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Pleasure Pink

Red Rocket

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I'll suck your dick for two dollars green.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Vaginorange

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pink pussy would be a good crayon name.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Real confused with [chat] now. Tbh, I don't know how Africa works - assuming I do is non-sensical. It's just that the possiblity of a HIV vaccine is so incredibly slim that by a pure balance of probabilities I think it'd be better if the money spent on trying to achieve a vaccine would be better spent on water supplies and the like in the poorest regions of the world.

Sure, you can spend both, but I like solving problems one at a time with the most attainable being the highest up on the list.

This is the exact sort of fucked up logic that gets people in the gay rights thread saying that gays should shut up and get to the back of the bus because the economy.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    grass on the field etc
    I think we've just got a sandlot, in this case.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    there you go again

telling me awful things at midnight

what's your deal

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Red shirt kid from Blizzcon made a youtube vid defending his Blizzcon vid. Come on man :(

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Too strong guys! I need something PG-13 rated!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Chris Hanson's have a seat over there blue?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Semen White...

wait...

nm

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Slap Mark Red

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Vaginal fisting taupe.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyhow, I'm off to the airport.

Nerd: you, me, Elf, and Thom should play some Titan's Quest sometime. Just not this weekend, since I'll be away from my computer.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.