As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Startled the [Chat]!

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    daxon is a pretty weird guy when it comes to medical matters and video games

Yeah, I guess. Just find a lot of stuff useless.

I am also highly suspect of medications that a prescribed especially ones where the mechanism of action is basically "fuck knows - but it seems to do something in the general direction of what we're trying to achieve".

I mean, it's probably valuable to research retroviruses in general. Gives processes of how to get your cells to accept DNA that isn't there's and not triggering defence systems and all that. It's just a "vaccine for HIV" seems like a useless struggle for something that's just not happening ever.

Unless we get magical nanobot vaccines that you can reprogram to target new versions of the virus at will.

I'm just not as optimistic as you guys all are when it comes to what science will discover. Like you folks that were insistent we might find the Culture - sorry guys, that's never fucking happening. Nor is scifi type FTL travel or any of that.

Video games I don't know what you're getting at.

This has nothing to do at all with what you were saying earlier. You're saying "we probably wont ever have the technology to develop a cure for AIDS" now whereas before you were saying "all a cure for AIDS will do is promote promiscuity and multiple partners and that's bad so we shouldn't even bother solving AIDS"

Previous bit stands - I don't genuinely expect to have to fully repeat myself in every single fucking post I make about the subject.

Or should I just write one post on my opinions on HIV research and then repost it as required when people continuously take second-hand information, get incredulous and upset then require it explaining again?

Also it's marvellous how well you are at reading for
    Myself wrote:
    It's just a "vaccine for HIV" seems like a useless struggle for something that's just not happening ever.

Unless we get magical nanobot vaccines that you can reprogram to target new versions of the virus at will.

Kind of specifically says "vaccine for HIV" is a useless struggle and we shouldn't bother because we aren't going to develop magically reprogrammable nanobot vaccines that'll target new versions of the virus.

Also,
    daxon, should we get rid of all existing STD treatments because they might teach kids that sex has no consequences?

Nah, if you get a disease from an action you take then it's cured and you're completely fine after that without any long-term effects I reckon that's the best really. Because you learn that action A leads to consequence A which was real fucking painful and unfun, but now I'm better so I might modify action A to include a condom the next time around and I can avoid all that. Basically: 100% cure for HIV better than vaccine in my eyes, although prevention is the best course in most cases of disease I think STI disease are a bit different.

I'd really like it if all cigarettes came with wrapped in poison ivy and smoking it gave you excruciating pain - because it'd teach you to stay the fuck away cause they are horrible cancer sticks of death and suffering and there should be nothing making you want to use them. (yes I know this isn't going to happen please don't make a post about how retarded that sounds)

Daxon on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are there penguins at an aquarium?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    aquarium: good second date?

Awesome date if she's into fish. If she isn't, terrible date.

There's some pretty amazing stuff at the aquarium even if you're not much of a fish person. I had lots of fun at Shedd a few years ago, and I'm not really a fan of marine life.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »

yes!

Elendil on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    penguins aren't fish, frosteey

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Then that sounds like an awesome place to go!

Frosteey on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We should ban the medical practice. All it does is encourage people to get injured or sick.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They were at the zoo in Ueno. That was like the best date I ever planned out. It was awesome.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    penguins aren't fish, frosteey
    they eat fish

and where would you get fish besides an aquarium

Elendil on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fish market.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    She may be really into jellyfish

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Penguins at the aquarium stink so bad.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cinders wrote: »

Penguins at the aquarium stink so bad.

Most animals smell terrible, really.

also, I am terrible at judging date/flirty dialog given that I have never been on one:
    "That. That is one hell of a shark." I pointed, as if Max needed the help finding it.
    "Good God. I think I could fit both hands in one of his gill slits."
    "Hmm. I think you'd better keep your hands right here," I said, playfully taking one in mine.
    "Sounds like a good plan to me," he said, making no attempt to remove it. I didn't let go, and we kept walking.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love the aquarium even though I don't care about fish

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I learnt an interesting factoid about fish last week.

There is no such thing as "fish". Different species of "fish" may be as dissimilar as we are to birds with incredibly different evolutionary histories.

So some "fish" may be more closely related to land animals than other "fish" and so on.

Stephen Fry is such an informative chap.

Daxon on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    don't put that in your book

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Most adorable little Japanese woman works win my wife. She saw the jolly roger on my shirt and was all "OMG pirate!!!" then looked back at her black and white striped shirt and shouted "OMG you too pirates pirates pirates!"

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fish market.
    penguins can't eat prostitutes sotar

Elendil on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man I forgot how hot Sarah Michelle Geller was in the early seasons of Buffy.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Fish market.
    penguins can't eat prostitutes sotar

Thought that was the meat market.

Daxon on
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

There is no such thing as "fish". Different species of "fish" may be as dissimilar as we are to birds with incredibly different evolutionary histories.

So some "fish" may be more closely related to land animals than other "fish" and so on.

"Fish do not comprise a single clade" is the particular phrasing here, for reference.

Linden on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Linden wrote: »

"Fish do not comprise a single clade" is the particular phrasing here, for reference.

That is.. a lot more concise, thanks.

Daxon on
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

That is.. a lot more concise, thanks.

It does, however, require that the person you're talking to know the jargon, so the utility is somewhat questionable.

Linden on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

oh bitch you got served bitch

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

oh bitch you got served bitch

Out-scienced indeed :(

Daxon on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bed time now

laters

Daxon on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha estimated time to leave work? 12:30am

Got here at 8. Let the Double Overtime roll...

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.tribesuniverse.com/

You can try registering for the Tribes MMO alpha test.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I found the one dog I like. I named it Garnet and then it killed giant rats with me.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is [chat] dying out for the evening?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've got a good forty-five minutes to burn before I want to jump the bus.

I'm at work. Entertain me.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is [chat] dying out for the evening?

I'm pretty much just going to play LoL as soon as I finish eating dinner.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPbeTvWiA8g

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

"That. That is one hell of a shark." I pointed, as if Max needed the help finding it.
    "Good God. I think I could fit both hands in one of his gill slits."
    "Hmm. I think you'd better keep your hands right here," I said, playfully taking one in mine.
    "Sounds like a good plan to me," he said, making no attempt to remove it. I let go somewhat reluctantly after a few moments, and we kept walking.

oh wait

you said entertain

sorry, misread

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just spent at least 15 minutes customizing a Painterly pack for Minecraft.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm at work too Than.

Let me present to you a moral quandry. I don't want to be too specific in case I'm ever discovered on the interweb.

So a coworker of mine has a job description in which he is realistically supposed to be staying later than most if not the latest. It is indeed in his job description. It is in anyone in his position's job description. To stay very late.

However, he is an Orthodox Jew. So every Friday, which is arguably the most work-intensive evening, he always leaves before sundown, and has to be home before then, so hes out BY 5 every Friday and every holiday.

It's like, you can't discriminate, but how is he doing his job?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The vet is putting my dog to sleep tomorrow morning, I'll see her before then but no way in hell am I watching the needle go in. My parents will stay for the whole thing though.

Fuck tomorrow is going to suck. And I don't think I'll ever look at Haloween the same again.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    The vet is putting my dog to sleep tomorrow morning, I'll see her before then but no way in hell am I watching the needle go in. My parents will stay for the whole thing though.

Fuck tomorrow is going to suck. And I don't think I'll ever look at Haloween the same again.

:(

eHugs dude.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dangit I can't find DK's pit mine.

Needs better signs.

Passerbye on
This discussion has been closed.