As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KotOR: We Hate Taris More then Skywalkers Hate Sand!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I liked taris. never had a problem with it. I would much rather have a mod to skip the beginning of kotor 2.

I agree completely.

Also I really don't get the point of not leveling before getting to Dantooine; the game is generally pretty easy.

I guess Darkside Scoundrel/Wizard Jedi can make the final fight a bit difficult, but the challenge is fun.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I liked taris. never had a problem with it. I would much rather have a mod to skip the beginning of kotor 2.

I agree completely.

Also I really don't get the point of not leveling before getting to Dantooine; the game is generally pretty easy.

I guess Darkside Scoundrel/Wizard Jedi can make the final fight a bit difficult, but the challenge is fun.

Because I like having more powers...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think my KotOR 1 just broke. I uh, I can't die. Ever. I just sit there on 1hp. Hmm.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    I never saved up any levels either, I can't remember exactly when you get your powers in KOTOR 2 but I do remember the game being incredibly easy playing as a sith lord.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The first time I played KOTOR2 I never got the option to become an über class. The game was not very difficult.

...Aside from freezing when leaving the caves on Dantooine and all over Malachor. And occasionally having my selected PC getting stuck on invisible geometry/outside the world. And occasionally broken dialogue scenes that couldn't be skipped and essentially froze the game.

Okay...playing the game was difficult; the game itself wasn't.

President Rex on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    By the end of KOTOR2 you could probably take out entire civilizations single-handedly. The game wasn't really that difficult.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They probably should have had a level cap in there like they did with KOTOR 1. Doesn't it make it much easier to create encounters if you know how powerful your player will be when they get there? But this was all before you had the ability to scale encounters based on player level right?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They probably should have had a level cap in there like they did with KOTOR 1. Doesn't it make it much easier to create encounters if you know how powerful your player will be when they get there? But this was all before you had the ability to scale encounters based on player level right?

Encounters scaled... up to level 20 and you could hit 30 without too much effort. Final boss always scaled to your level though

Z0re on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I think my KotOR 1 just broke. I uh, I can't die. Ever. I just sit there on 1hp. Hmm.

You using any mods?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Both Kotors were incredibly easy. Especially if you get Jedi/Prestige as soon as possible.

They tried to do Balancing at the end of Kotor 1 but it consisted of spawing hordes of the same enemies over and over again.

C2B on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I agree completely.

Because I like having more powers...

Having force storm the instant you become a Jedi is very nice.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2010
    I always save my levels just because there is a deep tugging at my soul any time I'm not doing the most effective thing with my levels. It's even worse in the sequel where there are about 5 jedi whose levels you can store up.

Tube on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    KOTOR 2 is so fantastically easy anyway that you really don't need to be doing level hoarding unless you have your heart set on a very particular build. There is like one really hard fight in the whole game (Atton vs the Twins on Nar Shaddaa) and the rest is kind of a cake walk even if you anti-min-max into the worst build possible. KOTOR 1 has some legitimately hard bits, so I level-hoard that one, also because non-Jedi levels are generally worthless.

big l on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Now this is the way Kotor 3 should be done in dreamland.

27254.jpg

C2B on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love how the dialogue doesn't change either way. I have to admit that Bioware has its good (if not great) moments and then it has its total WTF moments (the gene therapy thing in the first game).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Archonex wrote: »

I always thought it was stupid that Vash went to hide out at the resting place of almost every Sith lord in existence. That seems suicidally dumb given how the Force works, even for a KOTOR era Jedi.

There is precedent for that! Apparently after Order 66, Yoda went into hiding on Dagobah specifically because its strong dark side energy masked his presence. I couldn't tell you whether that was inserted by the EU though...
    Lorahalo wrote: »

If you're using the Star Wars Save Editor, there's a variable called Min1hp. I couldn't tell you for sure, but that might be the problem.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It was mentioned earlier that there's a mod to skip Taris which may have the side affect (side effect?) of making the player unable to die. Might be that.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So I just realized that one of the underlays for armor adds to the Max Dexterity Bonus. There's almost no reason to wear robes unless they have good stats you want. I can where that heavy armor and my Dex based Guardian owns.

EDIT: KOTOR II

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I just realized that one of the underlays for armor adds to the Max Dexterity Bonus. There's almost no reason to wear robes unless they have good stats you want. I can where that heavy armor and my Dex based Guardian owns.

EDIT: KOTOR II
    A lot of Force Powers are unavailable in armor.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In my opinion the best class in KOTOR2 is the incredibly dull sounding Sentinel class. It has enough skill to do all the neat skill challenges while remaining balla enough to beat everyone at fighting. Consulars have all that aoe sunshine sure, but I don't like being incredibly squishy one on one.

Tube on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sentinels are great for building mods. Building your own guns, then every part to put in them, plus everything else you're wearing is pretty badass.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. I always went Sentinel.

But I always take the middle of the road, jack of all trades, master of none class in RPGs.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I completely forgot that one of 2 mods I'm running is the no amor restrictions one. The other is the visuals remover.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like the Guardian because it always amused me to end every fight within 5 seconds. Especially the fight with Malak aboard that ship, where Bastilla has to "save" me from the guy I just took 5 seconds to beat down like an absolute pussy taking NO FUCKING DAMAGE.

Edit: If I am not mistaken, 5 seconds or so is roughly 1 round of combat in KotoR. That's how viciously I am beating him.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You know the best thing about KotOR 2?

Flowing robes.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You know the best thing about KotOR 2?

Flowing robes.
    i never liked the boots on those robes, they looked like big rubber boots.

i take issue with clumsy looking foot wear.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I like the Guardian because it always amused me to end every fight within 5 seconds. Especially the fight with Malak aboard that ship, where Bastilla has to "save" me from the guy I just took 5 seconds to beat down like an absolute pussy taking NO FUCKING DAMAGE.

Edit: If I am not mistaken, 5 seconds or so is roughly 1 round of combat in KotoR. That's how viciously I am beating him.

That's with everyone though.

What the game never told you is that all the time Malak was getting beat on and running like a pussy he was charging his power levels.

Had Bastilla not stepped in at the last minute...perish the thought.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I didn't know KOTOR 2 had so many fans. I personally found it felt really incomplete story-wise. Which was unfortunate because it's one of the few games I've ever bought right when it came out. Not that there weren't cool new mechanics and some decent characters but by the end nothing really seemed to fit.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In my opinion the best class in KOTOR2 is the incredibly dull sounding Sentinel class. It has enough skill to do all the neat skill challenges while remaining balla enough to beat everyone at fighting. Consulars have all that aoe sunshine sure, but I don't like being incredibly squishy one on one.

Tube knows what's up. I hadn't really played the game til I played a Sentinel, that's how much skillwhoring opens up in terms of dialogue options. Awareness in particular has a lot of good stuff. I pretty much always play as a Sentinel/Watchman or Sentinel/Sith Assassin with a 15 starting Intelligence now.
    I didn't know KOTOR 2 had so many fans. I personally found it felt really incomplete story-wise. Which was unfortunate because it's one of the few games I've ever bought right when it came out. Not that there weren't cool new mechanics and some decent characters but by the end nothing really seemed to fit.

It is an anticlimax in part by design. As Kreia says:
    "Were you expecting some grand secret, some terrible revelation that would shake you to your very core? No. There is only you."

The Exile made a choice. An incredibly difficult choice to shear himself from an addictive, manipulative connection with all Life. He wasn't the Son of Space God or the Anti (Space) Christ or Doctor (Space) Doom. He was only human. KOTOR 2 like Torment is meant to be an inward journey, thus why Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion are ultimately inconsequential. Saving the galaxy from them isn't the point. They're nothing more than echoes of what you could have been.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I am enjoying it a lot on my current playthrough. I never realized how much I missed 7 years ago when it came out. It's great trying to explore the content that is there.

I also ndon't remember the main villian that's on the cover after the visas cut scene. I don't remember fighting him or anything. so getting there will be fun.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't worry, I don't remember him either.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    deowolf wrote: »
    Don't worry, I don't remember him either.

I'm about to start another playthrough of KoTOR... I WILL find out who he is :rotate:

never-ending-reign on
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Playing through KOTOR again, starting yesterday.

God I hate Taris.

Luckily I got that patch that lets you have everything at 1920x1080, so my eyes don't hate me.

Khildith on
  • Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One thing I never am able to do seamlessly, is adjust quickly between play-throughs. I.e-> I just finished playing as a consular. Now I'm doing a whored-out guardian, and I keep trying to consular my way through fights. Haha, amusing to watch I'm sure.

never-ending-reign on
  • Options
    mister tuxedomister tuxedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ^ I might have to try a no-lightsaber scoundrel run through...

mister tuxedo on
    Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment/ PO Box 20068/ 104 60 Stockholm/ Sweden
    Send them a Pair of Running Shoes. Used or Otherwise. Or a letter, but let's not be formulaic. Send them a picture of trainers, too. Or a painting. Or money. Whatever.
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am one of the few that enjoy Taris.

I wish all of the worlds were that in depth and fun.

Never figured out the whole Consular, guardian, etc thing.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Taris is alright if you get that start as a jedi mod

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I liked Taris

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    I am one of the few that enjoy Taris.

*brofist*

C2B on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    KOTOR1 - Never crashed once, finished it, had fun.

KOTOR2 - Crash crash crash freeze, can't move, can't move, never left first planet.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif