As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vanguard: Something About Heroes and Sagas

• Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you can't get anyone to send you a trial key OnlineCDkey.com sells the 10 day trial key for $4.95.

And yes, the beta can update to full. Just takes about 4 hours. I have a very fast connection (800-1000 KB/s) but I think it was limited by SOE's servers. Can't really tell as it doesn't display the speed, just a time estimate.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I see this thread is moving along :0

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I patched from beta to retail in less then an hour on my campus connection, so your mileage may vary. I'm playing a goblin blood mage on Tharridon (FFA PvP). I think this might be my favorite class in any MMO ever.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is anyone else having trouble actually getting into the game? It stops at character select, connecting and with a popup at the bottom that reads "searching for response from world server" or something to that effect.

I can get to the first part of character creation, but, again, it stops me at server selection. This happened to me during beta- I would have to restart the game ten or fifteen times until the servers showed. I had just hoped this hadn't continued into retail.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hmm, nothing yet anyone here dl the game from Soe store ? just curious.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm enjoying this game very much. I plan on playing casually as a cleric.... nearly level 10 now.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm having a very hard time dling the game, having cab file problems, and then when I try and use the launchpad it dosent' insttall it to the directory I want , and since my C drive is small compared to my D , ti runs out of room. I fear im going to have to F disk to fix this mess. :( Oh well, im still looking forward to playing.

Draeven on

• Options
    ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm DLing from the SOE store now. it's probably gonna be going till tonight though. I'm getting good speed.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    if not electric check the tech forums and they link a simple zip file that downloads the exe that will pop up the launchpad. and will dl the game that way too.
    it got it working now , for some reason it didn't want to work early in the day but i fixed hehe anyways .

Draeven on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I hope it goes flawlessly. I want to be able to hop on after work. if it doesn't I shall gnash my teeth and curse SOE with force enough to rival the olden days of EQ1.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yeah, ive been doing that for the last couple days tell, I found that zip file lol , and now that its working :0 I hope to be playing by the time i get off work too lol, only 3 more hours of dling to go whooo hoo

Draeven on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm reading reviews of the game and man I hope I like it. It really seems to be a love it or hate it game. I am going into this expecting eq1 with a tad more functionality.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm reading reviews of the game and man I hope I like it. It really seems to be a love it or hate it game. I am going into this expecting eq1 with a tad more functionality.
    It's a lot deeper than EQ1... it's really what EQ2 should have been minus the production value meaning that EQ2 still trumps it with flashyness.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I was debating between vanguard and eq2 and I picked vanguard cause it's newer and I have fond memories of the horrible bugs at eq1s launch. Like enchanters being able to become illusions of kelethin and making people fall to their deaths thinking theres a solid platform in front of them.

Plus it seems like the framework is there for something better once everything gets worked out.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    there are some fun bugs atm... some falling through the world etc but mostly the game just runs worse than it should... which I'm sure will get figured out

well.... also you can macro the equipping of items which makes for some pretty interesting prospects like "equip healing gear" then "cast heal" then "equip nuke gear" then "cast nuke"... it's not very high fantasy and I think it will be nerfed soon but you get the idea

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd love to try the game out and make sure it runs well before I buy it.

Anyone else have a spare trial key?

Strato on
  • Options
    NionNion Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is the install still 20+ gb?

Nion on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    17 or so

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd love if anyone has a trial key, I really want to try the game out. I used to play a ton of WoW in hardcore endgame guilds so if this game turns out to be anything like the stories I've heard about EQ1, I reeeeally want in on it.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The online download and install went seamlessly. Now I'm just waiting on the patch.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The damage my Dread Knight is currently capable of is horrifying. At level 6, I'll be getting an ability that deals 400% weapon damage plus a decent chunk of damage on top of that. My Torment ability is already a pretty nasty DoT, and it builds hate like crazy. Malice is pretty sick, too, and I've spent most of my time just about one-shotting mobs with it.

Looking at my later skills, I'm assuming that health scales pretty rapidly. Damage in the thousands.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So where does one download this client? And does anyone have any trial keys laying about that they could give me maybe?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So I got a Dreadknight up to level 4 and I'm running on moderate settings, it gets chunky any higher. It looks great, could be better, but still. The image is kind of fuzzy because of resize.
    woof.jpg

I'm running it on a p4 3.4 mhz with a gig of memory and a 256mb radeon x1300 with no hitches.

The world is big and I've just run around the newb area. it does seem pretty empty though and the death animation for enemies is hella delayed by about 2 seconds. I'm having a good time though. The character models need a bit more work.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    awsome to see you got it up and running, seems to be slowing to a crawl for me :( i shall hope I get in the morning.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    seems we have bout the same specs boog, I should hope i can run the game was well as you. Im sure a bit of tweeking will have to take place but im not too worried baout that.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    This game is a hell of a lot more complicated than it first seems. Diplomacy alone makes my head want to explode.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I haven't really encountered anything too complicated. I've played a lot of card games so the diplomacy is pretty easy for me so far. One of my quests in the Vulmane village was to paint a rock. I thought that was a nice play at having some story. The entirety of the vulmane city looks like a giant had a bad burrito. the textures are just thrown together mush that clashes with the surroundings quite a bit. I haven't really been hooked yet but I am having some fun doing the quests.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Vulmane city was added later in beta, and it shows. The game needs a lot of polish still, and hopefully it'll get it rather then a slew of entirely new content in the next half a year. If you want to try an excellent newbie area, start a character in Khal or Tanvu.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So is everyone making a fucking vulmane dread knight? Cause I wanted to do that.

Also, I have a P4 2.66GHz, 1Gb RAM, Radeon 9600XT. Am I screwed?

I'm guessing I basically need another gig of RAM and a better graphics card? Any recommendations for something that's not as much as an Xbox 360? I'm really tired of upgrading my PC just to play one game.

Also, I'd still really enjoy a trial key if someone has one... PM!

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I haven't really encountered anything too complicated. I've played a lot of card games so the diplomacy is pretty easy for me so far.
    I doubt that "complicated" was the correct word to use. I should say there's more layers here than you might first assume. Skill combos, player chains, different paths of character progression, Diplomacy mini-games, numerous crafting methods with their own branches of production, different sets of gear depending on what you're doing, equipment bonuses applying to a range of varying factors, etc. Someone who's expecting to just come in, pick up a sword, and start laying down rats and spiders may be surprised to discover the other things that this game allows you to accomplish.

I find myself sort of fiddling around and unlocking a few extra abilities here and there that make it seem like I'm doing more than just making my little bars move over to the right. So there's quite a few features here that have potential. If the kinks are worked out and the developers actually pay attention to what game they're dealing with, I can see Vanguard being a pretty addictive spiritual successor to the earlier MMOs that got me into the whole "online gaming" thing to begin with.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This game is a hell of a lot more complicated than it first seems. Diplomacy alone makes my head want to explode.

I have given up playing the game while high because I too feel it's too complicated.

Still having fun casual leveling my psion though.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    lol, well im in playing a orc warrior named kregnok, so far so good. and to the person asking about specs, i got a pos machine and with stuff on balanced and a few things turned off it runs fine. Im sure once I hit a heavy concentration of people etc it might slow down but its nothing terrible yet.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Draeven wrote: »
    lol, well im in playing a orc warrior named kregnok, so far so good. and to the person asking about specs, i got a pos machine and with stuff on balanced and a few things turned off it runs fine. Im sure once I hit a heavy concentration of people etc it might slow down but its nothing terrible yet.

Hmm, excellent. So yours is worse than the one a couple of posts above?

If so I may just pick the damn game up today

Strato on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Guys when are we forming a guild? I'm starting to accumulate too many group and elite quests.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yeah, im running a seperon 3k at 2.6 gigs 1 gig or ram and a nvidia geforce 7600 gt with 256 megs ram on it. or is it 512 i dont remeber , seems to run great. have only been playing for a couple hours and haven't crashed yet and im almost lvl 7. anyways names kregnok

Draeven on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I too am interested lol, im lvl 7 almost 8 now, so having people to talk to would be great, look up kregnok if you happen to be on right now

Draeven on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah um... your system seems better than mine. My Radeon has 128mb DDR.

I just got the game, and I apparently just make the minimum requirements. Hopefully I can run it on low settings.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I dont have a trial key since I baught mine on line. seems to only come with the boxed version of the game. I would assume somone here still has a key but since everyone plays after 9 pm cst or around there most of them weren't on. anyways, im glad I picked it up. I know my wow time will suffer but oh well.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    What server should we congregate on?
    Targonor?

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    People are on Flamehammer, right?

Strato on