Options

[GW2]The old thread is dead. Long live the new thread.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, we still have to wait and see what ArenaNet's idea of "planty" is, at any rate.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would guess they are going to make them more alien and less elvish, and perhaps emphasize the plant nature with more details.

The reason they are doing the redesign is to take full advantage of the GW2 engine (compared to it's capability earlier in development) with a refreshed concept one of the ANet artists came up with. So I think we can assume it will be more elaborate and visually interesting.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They're going to look like the sunflower from pants vs zombies and you're going to like it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As much as I like "elves with plants taped on" I would prefer them to be very daring and give us a race that is only vaguely humanoid.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tentacles writhing, nay, blooming in every orifice.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I want to protect the people in this thread from disappointment, so I'm gonna say the following:

The Sylvari are gonna be green, photogenic elves with plant bits taped on.

That's okay! The rest of the game will still be cool. But the Sylvari, IMO, have been set up to disappoint. Now maybe this Dociu guy (who I like) can surprise me, but I gave that like a 30% chance of happening, no more.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They are already elves with plant bits taped on.

Supposedly they are being redesigned to something more interesting/elaborate. If anyone can make an interesting race, I'd have to say it's ANet. Even if it's not amazing, I am certain it will be an improvement at least.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    They're going to look like the sunflower from pants vs zombies and you're going to like it.

No one would argue with you on that.

If they did the whole song and dance when you /dance, it'd be even better.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm already getting this game for its gameplay innovations and I won't be too disappointed regardless of how the sylvari turn out but yeah, they're already elves wearing plant pants and I doubt they're going in the direction of making them more elven or human like so chances are good that they will be made more abstract.

Edit: I'm actually really impressed that ANet is doing something at all. Most companies, and people, would at most recognize a problem but be crippled with anxiety over changing too much so far into development. ANet recognized that the sylvari are a comparatively weak component in the game universe and they're fixing them.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I look at the effort they put into the frog people and say to myself: "If they can make a compelling and interesting backstory and design aesthetic for a bunch of frogs, I look forward to seeing what they can do with plants".

Maybe it will be green coloured elves with plants taped on, maybe it will be something else. We'll know when we know. Regardless of this, I'm still getting the CE pre-order and will do whatever it takes to get beta. And i'll probably try Sylvari eventually unless the redesign wows me.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I will eat bull penis for a spot on the beta. Inside of me is a raging storm of excitement that is only barely contained. I need this game. I will experience every piece of it, plant pants or no.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I look at the effort they put into the frog people and say to myself: "If they can make a compelling and interesting backstory and design aesthetic for a bunch of frogs, I look forward to seeing what they can do with plants".

Maybe it will be green coloured elves with plants taped on, maybe it will be something else. We'll know when we know. Regardless of this, I'm still getting the CE pre-order and will do whatever it takes to get beta. And i'll probably try Sylvari eventually unless the redesign wows me.

Yeah, I really liked their approach to the hive-mind species with the Skritt. Easily the best Rat-Men since Warhammer. :p

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When I had first heard about the Sylvari I was kind of hoping for something similar to this:

savage-2%3A-conjurer_wallpapers_13533_1280x1024.jpg

edit: not quite as mean-looking, but the whole "human-shaped plant" thing is what I wanted. Not elves with a flower in their hair and a couple of leaves on their shirt.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Like this?
    MonFaePG57.jpg

I guess one of the problems with a design like that is they still need to have a strong silhouette so they can be recognised at a distance. I think we'll see fewer plant details (i.e. branches), but I'm betting they'll change their skin from green-tinged to something more bark-like.

Flay on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd kinda like it if they looked like the Dryads from warhammer fantasy.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Making a plant race that's fit for MMO playable action is harder then it looks. How much plant is too much plant, and how little is too little? And that pesky armor question.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They could always make the armor just be enchanted "gems" that change the kind of plant life that grows on the different parts of the character.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "Hey I found some blue fertilizer you need it?"

"Naw dog I got dexterity grubs they don't stack."

"Shit is gross, dude."

"Dog you ain't lived til you've put a handful of grubs down your pants."

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    "Dog you ain't lived til you've put a handful of grubs down your pants."

Being a plant is not a requirement for this activity.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If a Elf and a Ent had a baby. We can call it a Enf or a Elt.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What I'd really like to see is sylvari running a gamut with "elf" and "gnarled plant-creature" extremes. As Flay points out, a distinctive silhouette is important, so I don't know how practical this would be, but it would satisfy the largest possible number of players. To some extent we've already seen something like this with the charr, who have a pretty broad cute <--> savage gamut -- though a lot of that seems to be sexual dimorphism, which I'd rather the sylvari design didn't lean on.

Architeuthis Dux on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    when I think of female Charr, cute isn't the first word that springs to mind

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd like it if they went to the extreme of not having mammalian based sexes for a plant creature. A redesign could focus on that and do well in my book.

Toothy on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Toothy wrote: »
    I'd like it if they went to the extreme of not having mammalian based sexes for a plant creature. A redesign could focus on that and do well in my book.

But then you won't have conventionally sexy characters.

I wouldn't mind it though.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The sylvari should either have human sexes or no sexes at all, if we follow the lore.

Anyway, we are two weeks away from GW1 anniversary. Last year we got Elementalist on that date. This year? :winky:

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This year we get a new elementalist wallpaper!

reVerse on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why is a distinct silhouette important for a race in GW2? The whole purpose behind that idea is so that a player can quickly make decisions based upon what they can expect their enemy to do. Because GW2 is class-based, race doesn't have as much as of a gameplay impact (although the races do have different racial skills, but I doubt those skills will make a stronger difference in playstyle than the class-based skills).

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think the distinct silhouette is just good character design in general, both in games and cinema.

Glal on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SJ wrote: »
    I'd kinda like it if they looked like the Dryads from warhammer fantasy.

Wouldn't be bad if they looked like the Sylvan from the DAOC Shrouded Isles expansion:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/daoc-si/ss-02.jpg

Humanoid, but not just an elf with bewbies and some berries tossed on its shoulders.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm going to be frank; Sylvans look fugly.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    They are already elves with plant bits taped on.

Supposedly they are being redesigned to something more interesting/elaborate. If anyone can make an interesting race, I'd have to say it's ANet. Even if it's not amazing, I am certain it will be an improvement at least.

I know, I just think that their end design is gonna fit the same description. But I've revised my estimate to 50/50 that they'll be cool.

You know what else I hope is cool? The atmospheric sounds. I watched those youtube concept art videos and the background sounds they added to them made them that much more evocative. In fact I'm gonna go watch them again...

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

After a few beers, they start to look pretty good, though.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    buddylee wrote: »

I read that as bears.

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Xagar wrote: »

I read that as bears.

That's cause you are channeling your Inner Norn ;)

buddylee on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xagar wrote: »

I read that as bears.

That's cause you are channeling your Inner Norn ;)

Charr are just Norns in fursuits

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had a dream about the Sylvari.

They looked kinda like they do now expect with much better plant hair, adjustable barkyness/shinyness when it comes to the skin and detail options that decide how much foliage you have on your character.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Guild Wars2 twitter and Facebook just announced that next week is Charr week.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well 2011 will be peaking early if GW2 isn't released this year.

206614_10150176369749209_114036714208_6904846_1592910_n.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    The Guild Wars2 twitter and Facebook just announced that next week is Charr week.

:D

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Those are a lot of gears.

Lord_Mordja on