As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 3: HOLIDAY 2011 MOTHERFUCKERS

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Your Batarian reverse-psychology mind tricks won't work on this red-blooded human, Synth!

Reaper tech a go-go!

Astale on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Whatever, man. Hope you like there not being any humans left.

The Batarians will. Or they won't, I suppose, depending on that whole issue of slavery.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They'll keep some humans around...as pets. "Hey batarians remember how the new kid kicked your ass and then everyone at Space High sided against you? Wouldn't it be awesome if we killed all those people and left the new kid at your mercy? Fist poooouuundd!"

Murdered by Cerberus or enslaved by batarians. You decide.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Considering the Reapers are immortal and apparently have little need for gathering resources, they could honestly be sitting just outside the edge of the galaxy and their grand plans for big entrances were just the fastest ways to get back into the galaxy. They could quite easily just accelerate for a long while to get up to near-lightspeed and, cruise for a couple of years, and then build a new mass relay when they arrive and invade the galaxy.

It's not like they would have to wait very far away outside the galaxy. It would be essentially impossible to find celestial bodies even the size of stars if they don't radiate any heat; the only reason we can see stuff like that inside our own galaxy is because of how big objects affect other objects. The Reapers are far smaller than planets, so the races of the galaxy could quite possibly look for one million actual years out there and never actually find the Reapers.

Not to mention that the Reapers have been doing this for millions of years so they could easily have thousands upon thousands of backup plans. Even if this has only been going on for, say, one million years, they would only have to create and implement one new backup plan every one hundred thousand years to still be way ahead of the backup-plan curve here. For all we know, they could just be humoring the galaxy by not flipping a galactic kill switch in the DNA and programming of everybody out there and snuffing everybody out all at once. Personally, I'd get pretty bored floating around in deep space for millions of years at a stretch and would probably be positively ecstatic over the chance to incinerate sentient life with my enormous kill beams instead of just hitting the "off" switch on everybody.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aegof wrote: »
    With all of their known agents within the galaxy dead, reprogrammed, or scattered

We could have said the same at the end of ME1 with what we knew, though. While they probably don't have another puppet race at hand, they can communicate from waaaaay the fuck out there, so they could seduce someone to their cause. Hopefully they'll convince the batarians to use the leviathan to open a wormhole or reconfigure a relay or something.

We can rid the galaxy of its two greatest cancers in one fell swoop.

If the Shadow Broker's resources are half what they're hyped up to be, no puppet race or Reaper influenced group will get much of anything done before Shepard ruins their shit.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Damn, Sounds, you're...harsh. Though better to be High School harsh than Cerberus incompetent.

That is the ultimate irony, though? Cerberus loved killing and torturing humans so much--the only thing they were good at--and were so violent and stupid in regards to everything else in the universe, they were the Reaperers.

It's all summed up in a 3-minute-long pre-rendered cinematic for anyone who imports a save where Shepard died after giving the yoomanity's numero uno yooman-abductor the numero uno yooman-abduction apparatus. Then the game ends.

So you have to try really, really hard to screw up, or just be an amazing screw up.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Only 50%(who've been recorded) of people fully upgrade the Normandy...I wonder is the Dermal thing counted in that?

Though at the same time it says 14 percent of squad member die on average.

100/12 is around ~8

and for people without 1 or 2 DLC characters that would end up giving us 8-10(7-9 if you count Shepard).

So that means on average people lose 1-2 characters during the final mission.

Put that in with the 50 percent don't fully upgrade and it makes sense.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    A little fluffy kitten reaper.

Coming for your yarn.

Fixed for Accuracy of new modern reaper design.

We have to appeal to our costumers when we lay genocide on them!

C2B on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think the med bay is a ship upgrade and given how terrible scanning was (pre-DLC) and that it cost a mint I can easily see people not bothering with it. Also the scars are awesome.

God dammit.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i have a feeling the council "officially" doesn't believe the reapers exist

but you can bet unofficially they know that when they find scraps more advanced than prothean tech they aren't dealing with "saren-ized" geth stuff

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Revolutionary_CosmisRevolutionary_Cosmis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They'll keep some humans around...as pets. "Hey batarians remember how the new kid kicked your ass and then everyone at Space High sided against you? Wouldn't it be awesome if we killed all those people and left the new kid at your mercy? Fist poooouuundd!"

Murdered by Cerberus or enslaved by batarians. You decide.

Man, if only Shepard had vast amounts of experience murdering the shit out of either of those groups.

Oh, drat.

Revolutionary_Cosmis on
    Freedom is the right to say that two plus two equals four, if that is granted, all else follows.- George Orwell
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pfft who gives a fuck if the reapers come.

I'm Karl Shepard, and i'll make them all my bitches like i did with Sovereign.

I can say this because if all things go to plan, i'll have a fleet of rachni and geth to help me. Maybe the Quarians too if they can get their shit together.

Karl on
  • Options
    Revolutionary_CosmisRevolutionary_Cosmis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    Pfft let who gives a fuck if the reapers come.

I'm Karl Shepard, and i'll make them all my bitches like i did with Sovereign.

I can say this because if all things go to plan, i'll have a fleet of rachni and geth to help me. Maybe the Quarians too if they can get their shit together.

By "get their shit together" you obviously mean "stop dicking around and clone an army of Kal'Reegars", right?

Revolutionary_Cosmis on
    Freedom is the right to say that two plus two equals four, if that is granted, all else follows.- George Orwell
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i was so disappointed to find out that kal had not named his missile launcher "vera".

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

but you can bet unofficially they know that when they find scraps more advanced than prothean tech they aren't dealing with "saren-ized" geth stuff

You mean the council doesn't want to confirm the story of the guy running around going 'you're all going to die, die to something you have no real way of countering!'

Leitner on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So don't know if it was posted or not, but apparently there's a ME1+2 marathon for Child's Play going on right now.

http://masseffect.g33kwatch.com/?page_id=42

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like Mass Effect.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

You mean the council doesn't want to confirm the story of the guy running around going 'you're all going to die, die to something you have no real way of countering!'

the only way to counter someone with a massive +12 charisma stat is with equally-massive denial

shep: "YOU GOTTA BELIEVE ME THE REAPERS ARE COMING"

council: "LA LA LA LA LA LA WE CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA"

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    TraumaTrauma Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Although, wouldn't it be cool if the Council really was just holding back on a plan of action, and didn't tell you because they didn't trust telling you about it while you were in Cerberus? Then you tell TIM to suck it at the end of 2, and they help you formulate the battle plan for the reaper invasion?

That would be nice.

That won't happen.

What really happens, though? You're branded a traitor by the Council AND Cerberus, and have to do everthing your damn self, with minor help from the new Shadow Broker and Rachni, until you stumble upon the McGuffin of Reaper Domination, a magical plot device that kills all reapers forever, always.

Trauma on
    DHS wrote: »
    If someone creates a miracle foolproof medicine that is a cure for the common cold, cancer and loneliness but it has the minor side effects of explosive diarrhea, uncontrollable bleeding from the eyes and murder-fugues, that's not a total 'resounding' success.

White FC: 0218 0574 8285
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trauma wrote: »
    Although, wouldn't it be cool if the Council really was just holding back on a plan of action, and didn't tell you because they didn't trust telling you about it while you were in Cerberus? Then you tell TIM to suck it at the end of 2, and they help you formulate the battle plan for the reaper invasion?

That would be nice.

That won't happen.

What really happens, though? You're branded a traitor by the Council AND Cerberus, and have to do everthing your damn self, with minor help from the new Shadow Broker and Rachni, until you stumble upon the McGuffin of Reaper Domination, a magical plot device that kills all reapers forever, always.

sounds like stargate sg-1 and that anti-orii thingy.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Trauma wrote: »

That would be nice.

That won't happen.

I'm crossing my fingers so hard for that to be the case, because it makes so much more sense then an incompetent council.

All the reapers turn up and he just goes "Ah yes, 'Reapers'" (unleash the armada of specially equipped and trained fleet, designed to kill reapers or such)

Leitner on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, I just... what.

Soldier?

Male soldier?

Jesus people. Do you hate fun?

I'm sure your kind thought Scott Pilgrim would be an incredible box office smash too. :P

Vanilla sells, believe it or not.

Man... it was a joke. People can play what they want. I don't care if your naked male Shepard soldier rides his elcor love slave into battle. Whatever floats your boat dude.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. At the end of the day, as long as they keep the other classes fun to play I don't care how many people play dudeShep Soldier.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I blew up the Collector's base... it was probably the hardest decision I've had yet to make.

I based my decision on the indoctrination problem. How many facilities has Cerberus lost to indoctrination now? If a dead reaper can indoctrinate everyone inside it, what the fuck is going to happen in a space station that creates reapers? My biggest concern is that TIM might be in league with the Reapers. I just can't trust that man. I told him to go fuck himself at every opportunity I had. :lol:

I'm still on the fence about it. I'll probably do another playthrough with all the DLC on newgame plus sometime soon and choose the other option. I have a feeling that keeping the base will result in a more interesting (fun) scenario in the third game than blowing it up.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. At the end of the day, as long as they keep the other classes fun to play I don't care how many people play dudeShep Soldier.

But my soul still cries out in agony when I think about it.

Orca on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

But my soul still cries out in agony when I think about it.

Yeah... when I have a choice between Space Wizard and Dude with Gun, I'm going to pick Space Wizard. Silly people.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want so much for the "Council is secretly competent" to be true

but remember that even when Shepard was a spectre, they just sent her to hunt geth in uninhabited space. As the person with the most reaper experience, she should have been gathering resources for an anti-reaper gun or something.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    I want so much for the "Council is secretly competent" to be true

but remember that even when Shepard was a spectre, they just sent her to hunt geth in uninhabited space. As the person with the most reaper experience, she should have been gathering resources for an anti-reaper gun or something.

Sheperd is galaxy famous, making that a bit of risk, if Shep got spotted it'd alert the reapers.

Way to be a covert operative their mang, and at the end of the day if they need stuff blowing up and pithy one liners they could just get a whole team of soldiers. They need to be seen to not believe Sheperd in any way.

(I bet you'll get your wish though)

Leitner on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    but Shepard already got spotted in deep space

and got killed

and they didn't even clean it up for 2 years

then after her resurrection the Alliance made her collect the dog tags

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hackett just didn't retrieve the rest of the tags because he wanted to have an excuse to talk to Shepard, like leaving your hat at someone's house. He even got Shepard's own tags but couldn't think of a cool-as-ice way to non-chalantly hand them off like it ain't no thang, so he passed them through a proxy.

Broest of bros.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hackett just didn't retrieve the rest of the tags because he wanted to have an excuse to talk to Shepard, like leaving your hat at someone's house. He even got Shepard's own tags but couldn't think of a cool-as-ice way to non-chalantly hand them off like it ain't no thang, so he passed them through a proxy.

Broest of bros.

You make him sound like a clingy boyfriend D:

Orca on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Orca wrote: »

Broest of bros.

You make him sound like a clingy boyfriend D:

I think for him he is.

Mass Effect is LOVE

C2B on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Let's just say if there's a Hackett romance in ME3 I'll airlock the other LIs.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What's this 36% thing all about?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Moar stats.
    Emporium wrote: »
    This is a day or two old, and some of the statistics are ones we've seen before, but there are a few new nuggets of player behavior data that I found interesting.

http://kotaku.com/5698422/mass-effect-2-gamers-greatly-prefer-playing-as-soldier-dudes

36% of people chose the Cerberus ending.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    thehugemanatee.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow. 83% of people changed Shepard's face. I can't do that, anything but the default doen't match the voice for me.

interestingly, this only applies to male shepards for me

female shepards I customise the hell out of

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My male Shepards demand a face that seems more fitting of apathetic and occasionally jerkish monotone.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Wow. 83% of people changed Shepard's face. I can't do that, anything but the default doen't match the voice for me.

interestingly, this only applies to male shepards for me

female shepards I customise the hell out of

It's because we're so used to hearing Jennifer Hale's voice everywhere.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know I'm going against the grain here but I don't really like Femshep's voice. I just can't get into it at all for some reason.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png